Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 1:29 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default 2nd Storey Tiles uneven/lower/sunken
I have been googling this for over an hour now to no avail. I guess I'm not picking the right keywords (as listed in my title here), because I just keep getting results for TS3 or how to build a basement.

I have all of the Sims games with Double Deluxe, and I just got them all + a PC after years of using a Mac and not being able to do much. So there is a whole world of expansions and stuff packs I am unfamiliar with, including their glitches. So if this is super common please be kind. I really have tried to figure this one out and can't. It's happening on every single lot and I have no clue what to do. It happens on lots with uneven elevation and lots with totally flattened terrain. I can not build past foundation + level one:

As you can see, half the tiles for the 2nd storey are sunken. They are higher than the floor tiles on the 1st storey, but only by a little bit. Then some of the tiles for the 2nd storey sit perfectly at the right height.

Any clue how to fix this? It isn't mods -- I removed all of them and loaded the same house (looked hilarious without CC), but the floor thing was still happening. HELP!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 3:51 AM
Do you by any chance have a hollow foundation? If so, go down to that level and knock a hole in it - just delete one portion of the foundation so that it isn't fully enclosed. If the rogue tiles go away, what you have is not depressed second-floor tiles, but elevated first-floor ones. If they don't vanish, I have no idea what's going on.

What happens is that, when you enclose a space with foundation, the little transparent squares appear above it to indicate legitimate places for floor tiles. But each line of foundation supports only two squares of width on either side of it; the third square out is empty. If the box enclosed by the foundation has a small empty space in the center, the space will become able to support tiles when you build out to the second square.

Sometimes, though, if the empty space is large, mysterious clear squares appear above the center of it, about midway in height between the ground and second stories. You won't be able to build on the gutter of empty spaces around it, and floor tiles placed on them will hover in mid-air. And from some angles they are difficult to see! Because they're clear.

The solution is to, first, remove one foundation square so that the space is no longer fully enclosed. Then either fill in the foundation completely (an expensive proposition), or make sure that enough foundation squares are laid that no segment of the structure has enough empty space to generate these tiles. Once you've got rid of them all, enclose the foundation again and you should be able to build your floor normally.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 3:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Do you by any chance have a hollow foundation? If so, go down to that level and knock a hole in it - just delete one portion of the foundation so that it isn't fully enclosed. If the rogue tiles go away, what you have is not depressed second-floor tiles, but elevated first-floor ones. If they don't vanish, I have no idea what's going on.

What happens is that, when you enclose a space with foundation, the little transparent squares appear above it to indicate legitimate places for floor tiles. But each line of foundation supports only two squares of width on either side of it; the third square out is empty. If the box enclosed by the foundation has a small empty space in the center, the space will become able to support tiles when you build out to the second square.

Sometimes, though, if the empty space is large, mysterious clear squares appear above the center of it, about midway in height between the ground and second stories. You won't be able to build on the gutter of empty spaces around it, and floor tiles placed on them will hover in mid-air. And from some angles they are difficult to see! Because they're clear.

The solution is to, first, remove one foundation square so that the space is no longer fully enclosed. Then either fill in the foundation completely (an expensive proposition), or make sure that enough foundation squares are laid that no segment of the structure has enough empty space to generate these tiles. Once you've got rid of them all, enclose the foundation again and you should be able to build your floor normally.

Oh, interesting! Let me check it out... I will report back!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 11:55 AM
You can probably also just place floor tiles gradually - place them on the tiles that are at the right height and that will pull the next row up, cover that row and the next row will pop up, etc.

Alternatively, just enter the cheat boolprop constrainfloorelevation false and use the flatten terrain tool from build mode to even out the tiles.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#5 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 11:38 PM
I've had that happen, usually when there's diagonal walls. The only thing I could figure out to do was adding columns under the blank spaces which creates the floor tile grid, then place the floor tiles on them. Most of the time my foundations are just the outer frames just to save a little money on building, That's what I thought contributed to the blank spots. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 4:35 AM
I've never had placing the floortiles gradually work in a case like I described, Nysha! The blank space doesn't get filled with the clear tiles and if you place a floor where one ought to be, it lands on the ground, while the elevated center tiles continue to hover.

This never used to happen on my old machine, except when I was building in an AGS base game setting. Now I run into it all the time, if I'm trying to build an outline of the whole house. Laying foundation for one room at a time prevents it, creating lots of small enclosed spaces instead of one big glitchy one. A lot of things never used to happen on my old machine, that happen now.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 11:24 AM
I find doing what Nysha suggested normally works, just start placing them on the working tiles and new areas normally show up. Sometimes placing a new box of wall helps too. I don't have this happen very often though, normally only when I have been messing around with CFE, so maybe this is something different.

That is interesting Peni, I hadn't even heard of that -and you call yourself not a builder.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 7:06 PM
I've never even tried to use CFE, so whatever's going on I know it's not that. I often do get obscure glitches in programs, probably due to my not thinking like a programmer and not approaching things in ways they anticipated. And I don't think any two people ever got all the same experiences in this game.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
I've had that happen, usually when there's diagonal walls. The only thing I could figure out to do was adding columns under the blank spaces which creates the floor tile grid, then place the floor tiles on them. Most of the time my foundations are just the outer frames just to save a little money on building, That's what I thought contributed to the blank spots. (:

This is the only solution that seems to work for me! At least I can keep on building... so weird though, this didn't happen until I got my new computer. Thank you so much for all your help everybody!!