Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 9:39 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Safe way to delete custom content?
When you delete custom content from within the game, does it just move the relevant .package into the trash? And is this a safe way to remove stuff?

Or should I go into my Downloads folder, and delete from there manually?

Thank everyone!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 12:20 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Feb 2018 at 10:56 PM.
The safest way to delete anything is manually from the Downloads folder. Pick the package files you want to delete, and delete them or move to the trash bin.

Deleting from ingame you may run into issues, and it's too easy to delete the wrong files, like meshes and similar. It's also easy to skip over items, so you end up wih a lot of orphan recolors. Sometimes the files don't even delete properly.

If something that's difficult to find in the Downloads folder, put the items and recolors on an empty lot and package it. You should be able to localize the items using the Clean Installer.

Here's an incomplete list of things you shouldn't delete (without knowing how to remove safely from your game - several require SimPE for fixing)
- Items containing a custom NPC, such as clones of the radiocontrolled car and helicopter, clones of hamsters or birds, rideable and moving items and animals (like the ones by Becks/Rebecah), and other items containing new NPCs (may cause corruption if improperly removed, may latch onto lots and neighborhoods).
- multi PT / plantsim hacks (can be removed, but you have to keep certain parts to not bork up your sims)
- custom eyes and skins (can be deleted, but sims will revert to skin-eyes, or have the wrong skintone, and this may cause issues with future generations)
- Geneticized eyes and skin (same issue as above)
- Larger mods of the kind that may leave behind traces or cause borkage if improperly removed (Inteen, Insimenator, ACR...)
- Anything that adds custom memories (deleting custom memories improperly may cause corruption)
- Anything that uses the Scriptorium (different way to delete)
- Default replacements (can be deleted safely from the Downloads folder, DO NOT DELETE INGAME!!!) - sometimes you have to delete the cache and/or thumbnail files to make them show up properly again.
- Anything CAS-related placed in the EAxis area (at the back of the catalog), even if it has a custom star and/or the trash bin is available. These may be modified EAxis items, and are only safely removable in the Downloads folder. It's the same for unlocked items with custom stars.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 12:34 PM
Things you can safely delete in game are object recolours by using the swatch tool, usually extra recolours of hair and clothes. Some items are linked through and deleting the recolour of one may delete others. Wallpapers and floors are also safe. Never ever delete defaults in game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 1:11 PM
Thanks both!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 4:17 PM
What about the premade Lots from the Lots bin? The unoccupied ones, from EA that came with base game and then EP's, SP's.
Are they also safe to delete in game?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
What about the premade Lots from the Lots bin? The unoccupied ones, from EA that came with base game and then EP's, SP's.
Are they also safe to delete in game?

Yes, no problem there.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 6:18 PM
I was having issues after Origin updated my game and ended up deleting all my CC from the Downloads folder and then cut and pasting it back in as that had solved a similar problem in the past. It wasn't until after I'd done this that I realised I'd deleted the terrain I use for my Downtown. Will this cause problems when I reopen my game? (I play via BootCamp, so it's a faff to switch to Windows and check). I'm imagining a completely corrupted Downtown.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 9:59 PM
Removing a default will revert the item in this case terrain back to maxis, simply find and install your default again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enoby
I was having issues after Origin updated my game and ended up deleting all my CC from the Downloads folder and then cut and pasting it back in as that had solved a similar problem in the past. It wasn't until after I'd done this that I realised I'd deleted the terrain I use for my Downtown. Will this cause problems when I reopen my game? (I play via BootCamp, so it's a faff to switch to Windows and check). I'm imagining a completely corrupted Downtown.

If you already created the Downtown with the terrain, then it shouldn't be a problem. When you make a new neighbourhood or sub-hood like that the game copies the terrain into the neighbourhood file. You'll need it if you want to make a new one though.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc