Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 6:37 PM Last edited by simsample : 10th Nov 2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Referred to Wiki article

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Homecrafter will not run anymore since NL - Solution inside
As the subject says, since I installed NL, I cannot run Homecrafter. I have uninstalled and re-installed it several times to no avail. (All my hardward config's are up to or over recommended standards, so won't bore you with them.)

I do not have UNI, only Sims2 and NL, plus all relative Maxis patches. I have one hack (the wedding formal one), but this was happening way before I installed it, so that can't be the problem.

Other than that, I have new meshes and re-colored Maxis objects in-game, which didn't seem to bother Homecrafter before.

Since I got NL, and since this trouble started, I had to wipe my hard drive and re-install everything. Hoping that would end up being a fix as a side effect, I happily re-downloaded and installed Homecrafter.

Notta. *sigh*

The only thing that happens when I attempt to run it is that a text file and a .mdpd or some such file is created in the Homecrafter folder. (I'm not sure of that extension - I got mad and uninstalled and deleted it all last night! LOL)

I asked EA Games for help on their support site, but apparently they don't support Homecrafter and Bodyshop. So I'm hoping against hope that someone here can help me. I know I'm not the only one with the problem, as I asked on the BBS and one person responded saying they had the same troubles. No help came, though.

I've tried re-naming my downloads folder and making a new blank one, but that has no effect. I've tried re-starting the computer after re-installations, but that doesn't help.

I do not have any troubles with BodyShop, it runs just fine. Funny thing is, I am having trouble with SimPE and Wizards of SimPE (not asking for help on those here, just mentioning in case it may be related). They won't catalogue any of the game objects at all. So maybe I have some deeper troubles??

Other than that, the game is running extremely well and there are no weird bugs happening, so I'm really lost. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Edit:

Please try all suggestions on this Wiki article before posting:
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...elp:Homecrafter
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 30th Nov 2005 at 9:43 PM
I am having problems with Homecrafter Plus as well. I can't even load my application. I only downloaded it today and when I double click on the shortcut icon on my desktop, nothing happens. I also tried opening the file from the start menu and program files, again nothing. I believe I have all of the system requirements since (I am assuming) they match the system Requirements for the sims2 and the EP's. I also get the same text file and weird mdpd file extension when I try to open it and I to only have Sims2 and NL installed, not University. I am guessing that perhaps the Homecrafter Plus isn't compatible with NL or something. I will look into it further on the official site and snoop around and see if I can't help us both.

Good luck,
Amber
Field Researcher
#3 Old 30th Nov 2005 at 10:29 PM
Recently found this post in another forum here at ModtheSims2. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...ght=Homecrafter

I'm going to look into making custom floors/walls with SimPE since it works and am going to look for another program that does the similar to Homecrafter Plus. Those arrogant bastards. Grr!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Dec 2005 at 1:26 AM
Aha, but I've found a fix just yesterday and it worked for me! It's a work-around, but hey, not a hard one. I just totally happened upon it over at the BBS from another user's post.

Right-click the HomeCrafter link, choose "Run as" and then just click "OK" with the pop-up that comes up. It worked for me. Starts up no problem now.

Funny that it ran before without UNI, but it only stopped once I installed NL. Very odd. Anyways, I hope that this works for you, too!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 1st Dec 2005 at 2:22 PM
FANTASTIC!!! I am so giddy that it works!! Woohoo! (well not simish woohoo, but ya know what I mean!) Thanks so much! I'll pass it on!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WebbyMom
Right-click the HomeCrafter link, choose "Run as" ...

You just saved my day (I also have NL, no Uni). This works! Thank you so much! =)
Instructor
#7 Old 7th Dec 2005 at 5:49 PM Last edited by Aleesha : 7th Dec 2005 at 6:06 PM.
Wow! Thank you so much!!! It's not open yet but the Task Manager says it runs Maybe I should give it some minutes to open^^

edit: but it says i don't have enough space on my drive... SUCKS i goddamn HAVE enough space!!!.......
Instructor
#8 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 1:32 AM
I tried the "run as" thing but it isn't working for me... could it be because I have an english game on a german computer? could it be that it can't find the right folders or something? I don't think I could handle using simPE....
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ellatrue
I tried the "run as" thing but it isn't working for me... could it be because I have an english game on a german computer?

No -- at least, that can't be the only reason: I also run the game (english) on a german system, and for me it is working. ("system" = XP Pro)
Test Subject
#10 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 3:43 PM
I tried it, and it worked to start the homecrafter, but when I click on add new content, it doesn't show anything but the template. Also the thumbnails don't show any of my custom walls and floors or downloaded ones?

Any ideas?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 5:26 PM
You know, Steffieb, I've been able to run it, and to change things, but not to save them/import them. So I'm guessing it's not the fix I thought it was going to be. (I've been meaning to get back here and post about it, but with Christmas prep going on, it's been low on my list of priorities. Being as it came through my inbox today, though, I figured I'd pop by with that tidbit.)
Field Researcher
#12 Old 25th Dec 2005 at 7:50 AM
I am also having problems running HomeCrafter since installing Nightlife. The "run-as" thing isn't working for me (I tried it before finding this post). If anyone finds a fix to this, please let us know!

"Don't harsh my melon." -- Alexis Denisof
Field Researcher
#13 Old 25th Dec 2005 at 7:56 AM
I checked this out on the official EA games site, and it appears we are not the only ones with this problem. From what I read, HomeCrafter just doesn't work unless you have BOTH expansion packs.

However, one person used this as a work-around. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm throwing it out there for anyone who cares to try it. It relates to Windows XP, and people who work under the "Administrator" login.

"I created a new user account in XP and homecrafter worked just as it had before NIghtlife-- The files are saved into the new user's Sims2 Downloads folder and I can easily move them over to my main user's Sims2 Downloads folder."

"Don't harsh my melon." -- Alexis Denisof
Test Subject
#14 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 8:19 AM
Hoover Dam I wished I would have read these posts prior to uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting, backing up blah blah. I Will try the new user thing thanks for helping me regain my sanity...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gonkski222
However, one person used this as a work-around. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm throwing it out there for anyone who cares to try it. It relates to Windows XP, and people who work under the "Administrator" login.

"I created a new user account in XP and homecrafter worked just as it had before NIghtlife-- The files are saved into the new user's Sims2 Downloads folder and I can easily move them over to my main user's Sims2 Downloads folder."

It works!!!! :grouphug:

To be clear, with WinXP, create a new limited user account (i.e., non-administrator account), then run Sims2 NL once to create all the folders, etc. Then run HomeCrafter Plus, make something to test it out, and save it. And yes, it actually saved it this time!! Yeeee haaaa! :thumb: :yippee: :clap: :dance:

What I did next was go back into my usual (admin) account and created a shortcut to the limited account's Sims2 Downloads folder onto my desktop. That way I can click to open it, cut the completed projects out, then paste them into my admin account's Downloads folder.

Thanks so much for the great lead, dude! Appreciate it!
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#16 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 7:35 PM
WebbyMom - thanks for the information and your tests. I'll go ahead and sticky this for now until we can get a proper FAQ created.

DDO
Field Researcher
#17 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 11:14 PM Last edited by RealHogsFan : 9th Jan 2006 at 4:05 PM.
I just wanted to post my results of the Homecrafter Issue with Night Life.

I just started up Homecrafter. I have TS2, Uni, NL & the Holiday Pack. I started up my HCP and when it hadn't started after a couple of mins, I brought up my Windows Task Manager to see if it was running. Sure enough it was there. so I walked away from my computer and did something else for about 15 mins. when I came back HCP was up and ready for me to create a wall, floor or ground cover. so i think the solution to everyones problem is to first make sure not to have RGiles "Frost-covered partically transparent tile" in your downloads folder. He does mention in his post that it will cause problems in HCP. As quoted by RGiles:
Quote: Originally posted by RGiles
The 5th item in the zip file as a frost-covered partially transparent tile. I thought some of you might like it. However it DOES break compatibility with Homecrafters Plus. If you do not remove this tile from your downloads before you try to create or edit a floor tile in HCP, the program will crash.
You know it could be causing problems with it starting up, who knows? but I did remember to remove it before i started HCP and mine started up just fine. I just wanted to point that out just in case. So try this solution out first: Remove RG's frosted tile floor (just for saftey measures), then start up HCP, wait a min or two and check Task Manager to make sure it's running, then walk away for about 15 or some mins (depending on how many floors, walls & ground cover files you have in your downloads folder) and do something else. come back and see if HCP is running and waiting for you to play with.

this is just a suggestion. Hope that it does solve alot of the HCP not starting up problems. Maybe all it needs is a little bit of patience from it's human.

p.s. i am running an administrator enabled windows xp desktop.

pss - as far as i can tell, HCP will not start up the program until after it has scanned your downloads folder for walls, floors, & ground cover, then it will show the program on the desktop and proceed as usual. It's just that the more files you have for it to open, the longer it is going to take to open.

I am going to first use Sims2Pack Clean Installer to make sure that all of my Walls, Floors, & Ground Cover files are sorted out into seperate folders, then I will talley up how many total I have, then I will time how long it takes for my HCP to start up and become ready for my pleasure. I'll post back my results, hopefully it will help in getting to the bottom of this issue.

EDIT: TEST RESULTS
I have 309 Floors, 95 Terrain Paints, & 1,229 Walls all totalled to 1,633 files.
HCP showed up in my Windows Task Manager immediately after I clicked on my startup link.
HCP Program Interface showed up in 4 minutes and 50 seconds after I clicked on my startup link.
HCP was fully usable in 5 minutes and 42 seconds after I clicked on my startup link.

I do hope that this helps everyone out in figuring out their problems with HCP starting up after installing NL.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#18 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aleesha
edit: but it says i don't have enough space on my drive... SUCKS i goddamn HAVE enough space!!!.......
That'll happen if the export folder is readonly.
Test Subject
#19 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 3:03 AM
I'm having a huge problem with homecrafter. I reinstalled it so it would run, and it did. I can do walls without any problems at all. However, all of the floors I've created don't seem to have a graphics file attached when in game. They look fine in HC, but when I open the game, they are there but "empty" black, instead of what they really are. Anyone have any suggestions for that???

P.S. I have both NL and Univ. Now all my beautiful floors are gone.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shinelikestars
I'm having a huge problem with homecrafter. I reinstalled it so it would run, and it did. I can do walls without any problems at all. However, all of the floors I've created don't seem to have a graphics file attached when in game. They look fine in HC, but when I open the game, they are there but "empty" black, instead of what they really are. Anyone have any suggestions for that???

oh that does not sound good at all. You know, i think someone asked a question like this about objects. There's also questions about this on the BBS at TS2.com but noone has replied to the issue, not even maxis. if i find anything on it, i'll make sure to let you know.
Test Subject
#21 Old 29th Jan 2006 at 12:12 AM
Default Same Problem
Quote: Originally posted by shinelikestars

I am using coral Photo-paint to edit.. ( I have Uni but its uninstalled)
just run NL
I open the template that comes with HC and copy the bmp I want to use onto this,save it as whatever and open up HC using the run command
and it works .. tried it now with both walls and floors

Hope this helps in someway..
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 12:36 PM
i've tried "run as" but then it says that the homcrafter plus is already runnning- and its not!
ps i have NL only
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#23 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 6:32 PM
Restart your computer and try again.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 14th Feb 2006 at 2:35 PM
o, right,
THANX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:moose:
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 12:06 PM
me, again
it's working but when i click "import to the game" it says:

there is not enought hard disc space to export selected textures.

why?
someone please help :confused:

Page 1 of 5