Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#251 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 10:34 PM
How much CC/audio files/custom paintings do you have in your game @itsamariokart ?

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Advertisement
Instructor
#252 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kankritty
How much CC/audio files/custom paintings do you have in your game @itsamariokart ?

Nothing at the moment. I only installed it this morning.
Lab Assistant
#253 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 11:38 PM
This is my second windows 8 laptop that I have sims 2 running on...I didnt use any disks for installs except for "double deluxe" all the rest stuff packs expansions etc = via virtual drive. I Did the same with both windows 8 laptops and no problem running or playing sims on either....(both Toshiba windows 8.1 64bit based intel processor 2.0ghz)....install all games as "run as administrator" this works best to install sims with the first user/admin account ever created for your windows 8 especially if you login using their online microsoft account (ps I did not use a microsoft account to login on either laptop I used a "local account")
The ea games core files are located under C\ Program files (x86) not the regular "Program files" folder also whether its a windows xp or windows 8 there is something wrong with the sims 2 launcher so you have to "rig" the shortcut in order for it to work properly (skip the launcher have it shortcut directly to your last expansion's "exe" file....I don't know this is what I have done on both window 8 and they both worked well for sims 2 and sims 3 ...hope this helps
Test Subject
#254 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 9:43 PM
im on windows 8 and everytime i try to download the christmas/holiday party packs (i am trying in the right order) it says they are already installed? also mansion and garden life always says failed to update and the installation cancels .. any ideas? x
Test Subject
#255 Old 5th Jan 2015 at 11:43 AM
For those that are still struggling with sims 2 UC not working on windows 8 or up, try this: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446 not sure if it is posted somewhere in this thread or not lol just puting it out there for you guys. I tried this and it worked! I am no longer crashing in CAS
Test Subject
#256 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 9:26 PM
Hi, so I followed the instructions to install the base game and all expansion packs up to Seasons using the patches and GrumpyLoader. While the game doesn't crash, the expansion packs aren't connected. I can put in each one and play but only with the main game and the expansion pack, which disk I put in. It says the others are not installed. While I admit this isn't as much of a problem as the game crashing, I would like to play the game with all expansion packs. So if you could help, it would be very much appreciated.
Test Subject
#257 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 1:55 PM
Default I can't find grumpy loader. Can 7zip be used for this?
Quote: Originally posted by Kayinwonderland
It looks as if the Sims 2 don't work to a lot of People. It mostly crashes during creating the Family or in gameplay.
It was the same for me but with the help of marshabruenig and Mootilda it finally worked for me and I want to share the solution for me

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  1. All of your Sims CDs/DVDs
  2. All Sims Patches (Can be found here )
  3. Grumpy Loader (Can be found here )
  4. A lot of nerves and chocolate ^^
  5. The right Hardware! (Mostly Intel HD Graphic Cards do not work with the Sims nd they are in most of the new Laptops! I asked my Computer shop if the computer I am about to buy is compatible with the Sims 2)

WHAT TO DO
  1. Save all of your Downloads, Neighbourhoods and all the other stuff you want to keep
  2. Uninstall all your Sims 2 EP's and the base game
  3. Restart your PC (I am not sure if it is needed but I did it)
  4. place your games in the right order next to your PC (it is easier this way)
    Here is the order that The Sims 2 HAVE TO BE installed in:

5. [While sorting your games download the Patches you need for your game
  6. put the disk in your Computer but do not run autoplay immediately! Click with the left mouse button on your drive -> select "open" -> look for Autoplay -> click with your left mouse button on it -> select "Settings" -> click on "Compatibility" -> Select "Run in compatibility mode -> chose XP Service Pack 2 (this is ESSENTIAL! Do not choose XP SP 3 like recommended)
  7. Click on Autoplay to install it
  8. Directly after Installing a game open the Grumpy Loader (before opening set the compatibility on XP SP2, like I described above) and install the Patch, that belongs to the Game/EP you just installed, by clicking on 'load' and choose it (It may says that there is a Error and asks if you want to ignore it. Click on YES)
  9. Repeat the steps 5 & 6 for every EP. (I installed 3 EPs, tested the game for 30 min to check if it works and installed another 3)
  10. Before playing the game set the compatibilty of the EP (icon on your desktop) (Like I described in Step 5) and put you Downloads and neighbourhoods back in the Sims 2 folder
  11. If it still not work try this

Thanks a lot to marshabruenig and Mootilda, who supported me with their knowledge. And thanks to my brave Sim Milly Test (Who died because she became a Vampire and spent to much time outside. May she rest in peace)

If there are any questions: feel free to ask them

IF YOU COPY THIS TEXT: PLEASE CREDIT!
Mad Poster
#258 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 3:26 PM
What do you mean you cant find it, just click the link in the "WHAT YOU WILL NEED" in number 3 the word "here" in blue will take you right there.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
#259 Old 20th Jan 2015 at 10:35 PM
took me a while but i got sims 2 working on windows 8.

basically i right-click on the desktop icon and click on "Troubleshoot Compatibility". next select the "Troubleshoot Program" then select "program worked in earlier version of Windows". finally select "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)". an option will appear ask to test the program with the new setting.

after testing the program you can save the compatibility setting.
Inventor
#260 Old 10th Feb 2015 at 2:18 AM
Default Goddamnit Windows 8!
Okay, I'm getting the infamous "No DirectX 9" thing when I try and run my game, there's only a couple of things wrong with that picture however.

1) I already downloaded and installed DirectX 9 last week.
2) Body shop not only loads and works fine, but actually works better than it did on my old computer.

I'll admit to not using the install method here (with exception to order of installing the EPs/SPs), but that it mostly because I didn't know about it, I used a different method (I also didn't know about Grumpy Loader). Also, I only added and downloaded DirectX 9 , not any f the other versions. Could either one of those be making a difference? Also, I noticed when trying to get it to work on my own by trying to click on the actual icon in the Program Files (rather than the desktop shortcut), that having the disk in doesn't make any difference in the message I get (I accidentally clicked and tried to run it once without the disk in), meaning that it never actually even gets to the stage where it tries to read the disk.

By the way,this is the message I keep getting:

So which would be the best route to take on this:
1) Download the rest of the DirectX drivers, even if they're not 9?
2) Try running it with Grumpy Loader
3) Do a complete re-install using the method the OP listed?

Sorry about having to bring up what's probably an old problem, but I've run out of ideas myself.

PS--Do hyperlinks to Imgur not work correctly anymore? I kept trying to put one in...

And now I'm having trouble with the image too...if you need to see it, it's in my gallery (InsideJoke on Imgur) and is the 4th one, it's named "error message."
Test Subject
#261 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 5:47 PM Last edited by birene : 21st Feb 2015 at 4:16 PM.
Default My Experience
Thanks for this tutorial. Didn't work exactly smoothly but hey the game seems to work (Windows 8.1, 64-bit). There is some really random shit going on with this installation process though, wtf Windows/EA?

I used Grumpy Loader for the patches, got some errors, said "Update failed" with Sims 2 but thankfully it didn't and then it was always "Game already updated".

All went great till OFB then randomly Original CDs/DVDs are not recognized (Seasons, Bon Voyage) after installation. I think this has something to do with once I had installed Pets it turned out there was absolutely no compatibility issue anymore (didn't even have the compatibility option anymore) Mansions and Garden is startable as administrator through the EP9 exe just fine.

Now on to my insane amount of custom content (maybe I'll sort it out for once).

ETA: Doesn't look good with the custom content. Will be a long weekend.
ETA 2: More like a long week actually. There was some really high-polygon crap in my Downloads. But except for custom content conflicts the game runs fine and loading times are 500% improved.
Test Subject
#262 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 12:32 AM
im trying to look at the settings after clicking autorun and i dont see settings anywhere? just really want this game to work...
Lab Assistant
#263 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 8:27 PM
Default Playing my Sims 2
Here's what made my Sims 2 work on my win 8.1. I am playing freely now, no lag spikes, & loading is way faster in win 8!
I have:
- 64 bit win 8.1 with onboard Radeon R/HD 8000 graphics
- the 4-disc Sims 2 (with all XPs & stuff packs)
- 5 1/2 gigs of DLs with tons of hacks & mods

(I adjusted the compatibility & also edited the game's two graphics settings "config" files):

1. Installed using the compatibility / grumpyloader method, except I chose compatibility for Win XP - service pack 3
2. edited a few lines on the two graphics config files that reside in your latest expansion pack files --- newer graphics cards are not recognized by the game, resolutions get stuck in 800x600, and settings on High in the game, so I would load up to neighborhood screen, click on something & crash immediately. Here's the link to the graphics editing: http://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-s...solution-guide/
NOTE: once you get to the neighborhood screen, make sure your graphics are not set on high for anything! I also got rid of shadows because they have always caused issues for me!

Here's another link if your sims is walking around with a "black rectangle box" under their feet: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446
Lab Assistant
#264 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 4:30 PM
Turning off wifi and just running it in XP's SP2 did the trick for me.
Lab Assistant
#265 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 5:31 PM Last edited by DUSKvsDAWN : 3rd Mar 2015 at 6:45 PM.
....My screen keeps going black, even with diferent resolutions. Tips, anyone?

Also I have to redownload all my stuff since apparently it had corrupted files... Grrr.
Test Subject
#266 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 11:14 PM Last edited by Wolf91 : 5th Mar 2015 at 7:20 PM.
After spending nearly a decade playing the sims 2 on Windows XP, last weekend I decided to take the plunge and set up my new Windows 8 computer and see if I can get the sims 2 running. Base game installed fine, and worked. I had the horrible black square shadows, which I had to turn off, but other than that it worked. Couldn't install other EPs or SPs because it would check to see if there were updates and then it would crash. So I downloaded the patches and installed the patches using grumpy loader one by one after each EP, so that when it checked for updates it would now say 'Game is up to date' and wouldn't crash. I didn't have very nice neighbourhood graphics (granted, I'm on an integrated chip but so too was my old XP and that still works fine a decade on...) so I found how to edit the graphics file, and it works perfectly now

Dreading Windows 10 mind!

EDIT: I did try using compatibility mode at the start, after I found only the base game worked (everything's fine now) and honestly, it made more problems. Screen went black and I had the directX error, and the old operating system problem. I avoided compatibility settings after that, and it's much more stable.

" A dog cannot make this journey alone, but maybe, a wolf can"
Test Subject
#267 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 5:37 PM
This won't work for me, because all of my short-cuts don't have any compatibility setting tab that allows me to run them in Windows XP mode. Besides, this guide doesn't fix the Direct X error INVALIDARG. Which is also another problem i'm facing on Windows 8. And my game isn't having patch problems or anything of that sort. The games will work fine up to a certain expansion and then i start getting error messages that i'm running the wrong Operating system.
Test Subject
#268 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 10:25 PM
Default Ep's Not working together
Quote: Originally posted by QueenofLegends
Hi, so I followed the instructions to install the base game and all expansion packs up to Seasons using the patches and GrumpyLoader. While the game doesn't crash, the expansion packs aren't connected. I can put in each one and play but only with the main game and the expansion pack, which disk I put in. It says the others are not installed. While I admit this isn't as much of a problem as the game crashing, I would like to play the game with all expansion packs. So if you could help, it would be very much appreciated.

I am having this exact same issue. I was able to install the game, after hours of frustration by ending the auto update process, downloading the patch, then using GrumpyLoader to properly update the EP. It worked for nightlife, then for Open for Business, though when opening the game is says Nightlife has been uninstalled. I cannot find any fixes for this. Many people have said that all Ep's work after using Grumpy, what are we missing?! Please note, I'm not super tech savvy, so detailed suggestions are much appreciated. <3
Test Subject
#269 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 10:11 AM
I read several pages of this thread earlier today while I was struggling to figure out why my new download of S2 Ultimate Collection was crashing on launch. I got it working by updating my graphics drivers. Funny thing is, I have Intel graphics. I'm running on a new (2015) MacBook Pro with intel dualcore i7 8GB RAM, 512 PCI Flash & Intel Iris graphics 6100, boot camp partition with Windows 7 Professional SP1. I tried several things I found on other forum threads that I found in various places (change compatibility mode, CCleaner, CFF Explorer to alter to accommodate more RAM, installed updates, checked for viruses & malware, etc etc). All of those things certainly may have contributed to the game working now but the thing that got it to launch without immediately crashing was downloading the Intel driver update utility http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect
And running it. Also I found a thread on the Intel customer help forum where a bunch of Windows 8 & 8.1 users with Intel 4000 series were complaining and got Intel to fix their drivers specifically for Sims 2.

I just thought I'd mention because so many ppl on this thread were saying that Intel graphics cards were a death sentence. I wanted to let ppl know that they aren't necessarily. Update your drivers and bug Intel about it if that doesn't work, they might just make you a special driver!
Test Subject
#270 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 2:55 PM
Oh no, i cant find the Run in compatibility mode thing D:
Top Secret Researcher
#271 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 1:02 AM
How about windows 7? Is there any problems? I'm thinking about choosing w7 instead of w8 when I'm buying a new computer. And I don't know if I should choose Home or Professional (probably won't choose Ultimate). Does it make any difference for a person who does sims machinima with ts2? o_o

Here are some details about the computer I'm thinking of. Help would be appreciated. See any issues? (And sorry if there are language errors, English is my second language.)

Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G, Socket-1150 m-ATX, B85, DDR3, 1xPCIe-x16, VGA, DVI, HDMI, Haswell
Processor: Intel Pentium G3240 Socket-LGA1150, Dual Core, 3.1GHz, 3MB, 53W, 22nm, HD Graphics, Boxed w/fan
DDR3: Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB 8GB kit(4GBx2), CL9, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24
Graphics card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 1GB PhysX CUDA with F2P coupon : War Thunder, infinite Crisis, and Strife

And so the question is windows 7 or 8 and if so, which version...

(I'm assuming the rest is irrelevant.)
Top Secret Researcher
#272 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by elvis1
Oh no, i cant find the Run in compatibility mode thing D:

I have no experience with w8, however, I've read that w7 home premium doesn't support windows XP mode, and w7 professional does. So maybe it's a similar issue with w8 if you have home edition instead of premium, maybe you should look into that.

Sorry if this is unhelpful but at least I'm trying
Test Subject
#273 Old 1st May 2015 at 4:57 AM
I have a normal Windows 8 laptop, no fancy special graphics cards or anything. To make Sims 2 work on my computer I had to manually install the games (in order) and install a patch downloaded from the internet.

Here is what I did:
First I found this article: http://aurna.tumblr.com/post/785285...-8-or-8-1-guide
And I basically just followed the steps in the 4 part youtube video series included in her article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO5-PQlu-Sk
I found that the youtube videos where the best way to follow it. There were some things in the article that I didn't find necessary to do, but both were helpful in trying to learn the process.

I still have compatibility mode turned on as well as "run as administrator" like the youtube videos say and right now I'm trying to experiment on which mode works best with my computer. The game runs smoothly overall but does have a few graphics glitches, but I'm hoping these will go away once I find the best compatibility mode.

Note: The Sims 2 Launcher still messes up, but this is because of the problem with it trying to connect to the internet. I got around this by just disabling my internet (airplane mode) while I pulled up the launcher, and then I just turn it back on while I have the launcher up, and start the game!
Scholar
#274 Old 1st May 2015 at 5:21 AM
The Grumpy Loader works, it is mentioned on the first post of this thread.

Irkalla
make sure that the Shortcuts or however you load the game are targeting Sim2EP(latest expansion) instead of the Sims 2 launch er next to it, it will bypass the launcher
Test Subject
#275 Old 9th May 2015 at 10:15 PM
Maybe this was stated in an earlier thread and I didn't see it, but for me, the install worked fine using Grumpy Loader and compatibility mode and I was able to play it immediately following the install, however, now it won't run. Every time I try to start it, the autorun crashes. Tried right clicking and using run as administrator, but still didn't work. Any suggestions?
Page 11 of 13