Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 9:16 PM
Default A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones
Anyone else fans of George R R Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels? Or HBO's show, Game of Thrones? I'm a huuuuge fan of both the books and show- the show, or S1 stays true to the books, and the cast is flawless as well. The fandom... some are amazing and others are misogynistic, which, hopefully I don't find here.

So, any other fans here? Anyone seen the new season 2 trailers? Sansa my poor bb :'(

You know that place between sleep and awake? The place where you can still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 10:32 PM
I guess I am a sort of fan. I enjoyed the first three books a lot but my enthusiasm faded with A Feast for Crows when the story became much too bloated for my taste. I think that the last book was a little better but still not nearly as good as the first three. He should have shortened these two by half, at least, and merged them; as it is, he made quite a mistake and I am wondering if and how he will get his act together again. It's still good writing but far from excellent.

I was rather disappointed with the TV series. The production values are good but quite a few characters look wrong to me. This was probably to be expected (I had the same problem with LOTR movies) but the writing was also disappointing - just a series of chronologically arranged scenes and no beef, to use a rather exhausted phrase. Left me quite cold.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 6:02 AM
I haven't read George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" novels, but I'm a huge fan of the HBO show, Game of Thrones. I practically bawled in tears when Sean Bean's character was killed.

"Remember... Winter is coming."

I'm also looking forward to the role-playing game Game of Thrones. I absolutely love the theme music on that website.

"Sometimes I feel like a door with no key, and all the answers are locked away in me." - Send Me An Angel, by Alicia Keys
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 7:47 PM
Yay, a Game of Thrones thread! I've been a fan for about a month. My friend told me all about it so I watched season 1 and got the first book from a library. I'm about halfway through with it. It's so interesting! I love the different P.O.V.s.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
I guess I am a sort of fan. I enjoyed the first three books a lot but my enthusiasm faded with A Feast for Crows when the story became much too bloated for my taste. I think that the last book was a little better but still not nearly as good as the first three. He should have shortened these two by half, at least, and merged them; as it is, he made quite a mistake and I am wondering if and how he will get his act together again. It's still good writing but far from excellent.

I was rather disappointed with the TV series. The production values are good but quite a few characters look wrong to me. This was probably to be expected (I had the same problem with LOTR movies) but the writing was also disappointing - just a series of chronologically arranged scenes and no beef, to use a rather exhausted phrase. Left me quite cold.

I agree with you about the last two books- they would have been better if they were leaner and merged into one book. I felt he pulled a bit of a Robert Jordan there but I still enjoyed it.
I do disagree about the series though. I though it was awesome and I felt that the things that was changed made sense in the context of translation from book to film. Just the mention of the LOTR movies make me want to stamp my feet and throw a hissy fit! The Ring goes to Gondor? Really? hiss boo!
Instructor
#6 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 5:16 PM
I just started the 4th book, so I'm kind of skimming the posts above in case there are spoilers there I don't want to read! haha

I'm LOVING this series. I haven't loved a series this much since HP. I think the characters are amazing and the way the book flows, with switching between points of view is very effective.

I haven't seen any of the HBO show, I've heard mixed things about it, that it doesn't live up to the book (really, very few things survive the book to screen transition) to others who absolutely love it. I'll probably watch it after I've completed all the books.

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 4:06 AM
I like the books, but I hate the show. (although the first episode of season 4 was marginally better, but no doubt HBO will continue to infuriate me).
Anyone tried to play characters based on ASOIAF in Sims 3?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 5:16 AM
I feel like one of the things to make the story stronger, in the TV show and especially in the books, is that it's not as focused on magic or supernatural beings as many other stories have been. Don't get me wrong, I love high fantasy stories like Tolkien wrote, but I like how Martin focuses more on the politics, tactics, and human interaction. Battles are more interesting when they are decided by tactics and strategy instead of always being won by whoever makes the biggest entrance, and alliances are more believable when they are forged by negotiation and political marriages instead of flaming beacons on mountaintops.

I've had neighborhoods that had Westerosi-level corruption and backstabbing, but I can't say I've ever deliberately based characters on any of Martin's characters...
Scholar
#9 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 5:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by voodooqueen126
I like the books, but I hate the show. (although the first episode of season 4 was marginally better, but no doubt HBO will continue to infuriate me).
Anyone tried to play characters based on ASOIAF in Sims 3?

Agree.I miss some things from books.Season 4 looks promising, but I still worry for some things, like example: Lady Stoneheart. Is she appear in show or they just scratch out her from storyline. She's not main character, but have some important episodes in story, so her removal reverse some events different angle. And yea, I like her.