Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#26 Old 14th May 2014 at 3:10 PM
I don't care as long as the game is accessible for creators and easy to mod so that I can choose what kind of weird shit I have in my game. But i can't stop thinking about how the simport would be though, "GenericUsername just sent you 1 baggie of weed".
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 15th May 2014 at 8:35 PM
I like that sims doesn't have murder and stuff like that honestly because even though sometimes i wish it were possible, i'd rather see them use their T-rating to make things more realistic rather than just another grand theft auto or shooter game. if i want that, i have no problem turning to a mod, because i don't see it as something that would actually mesh well with the game in general. it's a suburban simulation game at its heart and i think they should embrace their rating to flesh that out.

the mods that i currently have pretty much amp the game up enough for me (between removing the censors, nraas' woohoo mod, etc), so i guess right now with my current game i can't think of anything else that i need as far as maturity goes, but i definitely agree that the romantic interactions are super toned down and boring. i also miss woohoo in cars. and they could stand to make the 'juice' and 'nectar' effects a little better too. oh and teen sims used to sneak out all the time at night! that was a great addition.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 15th May 2014 at 8:43 PM
Default Maybe there is another way...
I have had this (kind of) discussion in many forums. I've grown up since I had my first Sims experience- and so have my expectations when it comes to a "life-simulation". I don't need to be protected from anything. I would love mature content in a game like this, just as much as I would love to solve mature issues. What about being poor in a game where you pick one flower and get 750 $ for it?! Why becoming a criminal when the world is littered with diamonds and gold? Where's the point in getting all muscular when you only have to pillow-fight to get married?

And I've seen my share of bad stuff so that I know that it makes the good stuff so much better. So I would welcome murder and abuse and drugs and real illness - because in a world that's always sunny, the sun becomes pretty much meaningless (why did people want rain again in Seasons? )

But there are many people who say: This is a game, and they are spending their time with the Sims so that they can relax and forget about the problems, especially all the problems that come after the T-rated age And I get that. I can totally understand that. So I was thinking...

There were so many people asking for medieval Sims. I totally hated the idea. Just like there are so many people asking for mature content. Many people don't like that idea, too. So... why not simply make a crossover like "Sims Medieval" that earns it's 18+ rating in Russia? I bet it would rock their sales. And the fans of the current play-stile won't have to listen to me whining about what's missing anymore
Field Researcher
#29 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:55 AM Last edited by Gutterfly : 16th May 2014 at 3:05 AM.
Default Goddamnit, EA: Show people a good time!
^ I hadn't thought of it, but maybe that idea is the way. What if the adult game was standalone, or an expanded version of the base game with everything ramped up to eleven? I'm sure modders would insert all the other worthwhile content if it were standalone.

I don't think it's too much to ask that they include realistic aspects that could be construed as positive. Romantic interactions should be enthusiastic, and that doesn't mean they need to be risqué. Sims getting sugar/caffeine high or looking a bit wired at a club could be whatever you want it to be, and small children would just be like "Yeah, mommy told you not to drink orange soda". I see the argument against overt smoking when the public health consensus is anti- making it look attractive, but not so much the other stuff because age would influence perspective. I'd be OK with some awesome supernatural interactions to make up for the lack of realism, and I don't usually play non-humans - my main gripe with TS3 is that it's not imaginative in any way. The original games were (to me) sort of like the kids TV shows Round The Twist and My Parents Are Aliens, both of which were weird-ass but primarily intended for children. Let's not step backwards so far on content that the game retains none of its charm...
Mad Poster
#30 Old 16th May 2014 at 3:53 AM
My sims already murder each other (and get arrested for it. I love that little addition) but I could honestly care less if EA made the (Highly unlikely) decision to include more mature themes in the Sims. I'm fine with looking to our modders for realism. My Sims 2 game has beer kegs where sims of all ages can get drunk, gambling, murder, and functioning strip clubs. I don't mind that I needed mods to get those things and not having them doesn't take away from my overall experience. It just makes things a little funnier XD
Scholar
#31 Old 16th May 2014 at 10:33 AM
Quote:
I see the argument against overt smoking when the public health consensus is anti- making it look attractive, but not so much the other stuff because age would influence perspective.

Just because they add it into the game doesn't automatically mean it has to be portrayed as just positive. If they add in a smoking section, they could have the sim who smokes cough a lot. In the beginning, because they have to learn how to inhale properly without choking on the smoke. The more they smoke, they more they cough, with it constricting their breathing - like, if they smoke a ton, have them wake up in the middle of the night for a coughing fit. Maybe even alter it so that they NEED a smoking break at times. Like, they are at school (if a teen) or at work, and suddenly they go out of the (rabbit hole) building to smoke a cigarette during hours - sure, they may smoke the cigarette and then go back into the building to work more, but it will influence their performance at work and won't earn money while they take those breaks.
Even give them pneumonia or something. Or have "Death by Smoking" as a new ghost. It would even fit into the idea of adding diseases to the game - although I doubt they'll go so far as to add cancer as a potential disease.

C-A

PS: And I doubt a lot of players would make a lot of smoking sims. Cause that constant coughing will be annoying.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 26th May 2014 at 10:28 PM
I just straight-up made an army of evil babies and SHOT THEM ALL DEAD in Super Scribblenauts, an E10+ game. Yet I have to use mods to kill people in Sims 3.
One Minute Ninja'd
#33 Old 26th May 2014 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Assassin-sensei
I just straight-up made an army of evil babies and SHOT THEM ALL DEAD in Super Scribblenauts, an E10+ game. Yet I have to use mods to kill people in Sims 3.

And I'm sure you made Mom proud.

So this Scribblenauts really lets you make armies of evil babies, and then lets you mow them down? For real? I gotta check this game out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#34 Old 27th May 2014 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
And I'm sure you made Mom proud.

So this Scribblenauts really lets you make armies of evil babies, and then lets you mow them down? For real? I gotta check this game out.

It's actually a series of games, there's Scribblenauts, Super Scribblenauts, Scribblenauts Unlimited and Scribblenauts Unmasked. I personally think Super Scribblenauts is the best in the series as it still has the sandbox (which for some reason is removed in games 3 & 4) and lets you use adjectives; however, fans of comics usually consider Unmasked the best.

And yes, you can mow down evil babies, though the deaths aren't graphic. After you shoot them, they just make a distressed sound, fall, and "poof" away.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 27th May 2014 at 4:20 AM
Personally I don't think they should shy away from the T-Rating.

But why do they NEED to go to the M-Rating?

The Sims have always been a game at all preteens to adults...why ruin your audience.

The best thing about the sims was how WELL they hid their adult humor and themes just WELL enough that kids won't get it and that adults will. There is nothing mature about being blatant about it, in fact if CARTOONS and late 90's wrestling is any indication being too 'Mature' Can come off as Childish.
Alchemist
#36 Old 27th May 2014 at 3:00 PM
A lot of people are missing the point of the thread. The title is clearly considering the possibility of EA EMBRACING the T for Teen rating instead of trying to appeal to MUCH younger players.

It's not about being HBO, it's about not being Disney.
Scholar
#37 Old 27th May 2014 at 7:03 PM
I guess the most important question for EA is. What will make them more money?

And with this thread's topic in mind I can't really blame them. They are a commercial company after all.

Heh, that was me almost talking positive about EA. Almost.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 28th May 2014 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
And with this thread's topic in mind I can't really blame them. They are a commercial company after all.

Heh, that was me almost talking positive about EA. Almost.

Almost? Do you even realize what you just said?
Page 2 of 2