Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Space Pony
#26 Old 8th Jun 2014 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JackieSmith
Why would you want a disc? You're still stuck with Origin, disc or no disc.

Wrong~!

I have TS3 installed but not Origin & I can play the game without ever needing to log onto Origin nor use TS3's online features.

Also just because Digital transactions are the in thing these days it doesn't mean everyone will jump into the band wagon, not everyone is a dumb sheep you know :D
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 8th Jun 2014 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CRV13
I have TS3 installed but not Origin & I can play the game without ever needing to log onto Origin nor use TS3's online features.

Try visiting 2014 sometime, it's lovely this time of year.

Also just because Digital transactions are the in thing these days it doesn't mean everyone will jump into the band wagon, not everyone is a dumb sheep you know :D

Nope, some go above and beyond stupid and buy discs they can scratch or lose.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 8th Jun 2014 at 11:52 PM

You really have something against retail don't you? But there are both pro and cons on digital and retail. What if Origin goes offline? Gone game. A digital game (as example Steam and Origin) isn't you propety. You only rent the right to play the game but you don't buy the right to keep it . But on the other side a digital game has no disc and you can't loose it.
Eminence Grise
#29 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 12:24 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 9th Jun 2014 at 12:38 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by TanookiMark
A digital game (as example Steam and Origin) isn't you propety.

You never read the EULA that came with your games on disk, did you? The licensing provisions are pretty much identical for ALL formats. You never own the code, you just pay for a license to use it. Same as any other software.

And, if the game is coded to require a check in to a service (e.g. Origin) before launching, as is increasingly common, that provision is likely to be on the disk version as well as the digital version. It may be possible to get around that in an unauthorized fashion, but if you're going the unauthorized route you don't need to license the rest of the code either :p

So, from a legal point of view, there's really no difference. Just a matter of preference in terms of how you store your software. I used to like physical... but I have like two bookshelves full of games dating back to the early nineties (optical media only... I already threw out everything that came on a floppy disk ), and have a hard time finding stuff On the other hand, I have also bought games on services that no longer exist, and in some cases they are hard to access, so that is a legitimate concern too. Luckily, thanks to the internet, everything that ever existed (at least, in binary format since the eighties) still exists... somewhere

As for the original topic... I guess my main concern about add-on content is that it be developed in such a way that each piece knows about all the other pieces, and can cooperate. This has always been an issue with the Sims model, but much worse in TS3 than in the previous games, probably just because there were MORE EPs PLUS premium content, worlds etc. My biggest beef with TS3 as it exists today (and pretty much why I stopped playing) is that there is both too much overlap between EPs (LN and ST venues, for instance, or the different models for vacationing in WA and IP and ITF), and not enough accommodation (support for seasons and pets in WA worlds, for instance, or some kind of integration of Ambitions bots and the time machine with ITF).

So whether the additional content comes in small pieces or large ones, I won't complain so long as everything integrates intelligently to form a cohesive whole. That probably means back-patching stuff that's already been released, and a lot more staffing continuity than the dev team has ever had... but it's a worthwhile goal IMO :p
Field Researcher
#30 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 1:10 AM
You really have something against retail don't you? But there are both pro and cons on digital and retail. What if Origin goes offline? Gone game. A digital game (as example Steam and Origin) isn't you propety. You only rent the right to play the game but you don't buy the right to keep it . But on the other side a digital game has no disc and you can't loose it.

I'm only answering the guy on the same page as him, you need to chill. I have nothing against retail, it's outdated as hell but that's not my problem.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that Origin will only be shut down when EA falls. And history shows us that EA won't fall anytime soon.

Also:

Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
You never read the EULA that came with your games on disk, did you? The licensing provisions are pretty much identical for ALL formats. You never own the code, you just pay for a license to use it. Same as any other software.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 1:11 AM Last edited by TanookiMark : 9th Jun 2014 at 1:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi

And, if the game is coded to require a check in to a service (e.g. Origin) before launching, as is increasingly common, that provision is likely to be on the disk version as well as the digital version. It may be possible to get around that in an unauthorized fashion, but if you're going the unauthorized route you don't need to license the rest of the code either :p

So, from a legal point of view, there's really no difference. Just a matter of preference in terms of how you store your software. I used to like physical... but I have like two bookshelves full of games dating back to the early nineties (optical media only... I already threw out everything that came on a floppy disk ), and have a hard time finding stuff On the other hand, I have also bought games on services that no longer exist, and in some cases they are hard to access, so that is a legitimate concern too. Luckily, thanks to the internet, everything that ever existed (at least, in binary format since the eighties) still exists... somewhere

And even though they are the same the disc version is in your 'hands' yes they keep the rights. But as example If Maxis decides to throw all the Sims away for ever (just like Tapalicious did with Tap Tap) they won't track down all the PC and download version. Burall the disc versions in the world are still playable. However if you have download version you can't download it anymore. So if Valve decides to close Steam you are pretty much in big trouble unless you download every game and hope your pc will never crash.

So yes maybe you don't 'own' the disc version there is still some kind of owner feeling.

Beside why would you wan't everything to go online? You are paying for pixels, literally.
Just look at the Tap Tap series on iOS. No they didn't go down. But they somehow decided to throw everything offline so nobody can play it anymore.

@Jacky
Why should I chill out if you are the one standing on fire in each topic?
Eminence Grise
#32 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 4:57 AM
And even though they are the same the disc version is in your 'hands' yes they keep the rights. But as example If Maxis decides to throw all the Sims away for ever (just like Tapalicious did with Tap Tap) they won't track down all the PC and download version. Burall the disc versions in the world are still playable.

Not necessarily. Depends on whether the disc version has some kind of DRM that requires an online check, as is increasingly the case these days. I haven't bought a sims disc in years so I don't know for sure whether they phone home before launching these days, but... I'd be surprised if they didn't. These days, in most cases, there's no difference between the connectivity requirement for disc and download versions.

Beside why would you wan't everything to go online? You are paying for pixels, literally.
Just look at the Tap Tap series on iOS. No they didn't go down. But they somehow decided to throw everything offline so nobody can play it anymore.

You're playing for pixels, literally, either way. The game ALL zeros and ones, whether or not you also get a piece of plastic with it thrown in for free Calling the electronically distributed version the "digital version" is a misnomer; all computer software is digital.

The scenario you're talking about, where a game becomes unplayable if an online server goes offline, isn't an issue related to electronic vs physical distribution. It's an issue related to online DRM (copy protection), which can be found on games distributed both ways. And vice versa: if there is no online DRM, then games distributed either way are still playable if the service where you got them disappears. Many online game distributors sell you a copy of the game which behaves exactly like a disc version.
Theorist
#33 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 5:58 AM
I wonder if EA is going to do what they did with the Sims 3, if you register it on the sims 3 website you get the game added to your origin account. I finally downloaded origin for the "on the house" games and was shocked to see all of my Sims 3 games present and accounted for within the library. I never added them myself and I've never purchased digital versions of the games.

Either way you will probably end up with The Sims 4 in your Origin library and after all this I'm wondering what the use is of buying physical. That comment alone is kind of creeping me out.
Scholar
#34 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 6:31 AM Last edited by 9b8ll : 9th Jun 2014 at 6:51 AM. Reason: Adding more
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
I wonder if EA is going to do what they did with the Sims 3, if you register it on the sims 3 website you get the game added to your origin account. I finally downloaded origin for the "on the house" games and was shocked to see all of my Sims 3 games present and accounted for within the library. I never added them myself and I've never purchased digital versions of the games.

Either way you will probably end up with The Sims 4 in your Origin library and after all this I'm wondering what the use is of buying physical. That comment alone is kind of creeping me out.

The same situation happened to me when I first register The Sims 3 Katy parry Showtime edition and changed my new password for the Sims 3 offical website. Which was strange. So it might happen with the Sims 4.

That being said, I still Prefer physical EP/Stuff pack discs even though I still I get some things from the store I rather have them all in stuff pack where every one could use the item that came with the pack/Ep Easliy. Yes, I know it's an unpopular opinion. Sometimes people can't afford premium content or full sets from the store all the time. Also because I still want to own something in my possession. What happens if anything goes wrong and digital like games does not work any more? I would think in two situations, Discard anything digital for good because the website no longer valid plus the servers are down or fight tooth and nail to get it back by re-download it? Not only I want physical just in games but in movies discs as well. The only time I want something in digital is music from iTunes or wherever there is a good digital music store.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 8:07 AM
I prefer physical. I just don't trust digital downloads, not after EA shut down Pet Society and I lost everything I paid for. Anything digital I happen to buy, like eBooks or iTunes TV shows (of which I own exactly one, haha) gets backed up and DRM removed. But that's edging into territory we're not allowed to discuss, so I'll just leave it at: I feel more secure with a physical copy, DRM or no DRM.
Test Subject
#36 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 8:35 AM
Using the current system EA has, i prefer EPs to DLC. but the problem isn't whether you purchase digital or retail. I personally like well fleshed out EPs that add something to the game as a whole, but i understand that different people view different features in different ways, and some simmers only want one or two items from the expansions and get irritated when they have to pay $40 for those one or two things.
If EA were to offer the same content in an disc or a download, buyer's choice, i feel like that would be a better system. Offer parts of an EP as digital download for significantly less so the players don't have to buy the whole thing if they don't want to, and for gods sake lower the price a little bit. even $30 dollars would be better than this.
Space Pony
#37 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 10:57 AM
Try visiting 2014 sometime, it's lovely this time of year.

I'd rather visit 2015... from "Back to the Future" mind you, not next year which has been polluted already by this year & the decade before it

You're probably the only imbecile I've heard who never takes care of their optical discs carefully then :P

Where I'm from $40USD almost costs an arm & a leg which is why Piracy is very much accepted here. So those of us who can afford legit games take real good care of our hard copies of games.
Scholar
#38 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 11:26 AM
Expansion packs any day. Mostly cause they USUALLY add gameplay to the game and not just an item that has maybe one or two new animations for the sims. But only expansion packs if they go back to the usual 20€ price they were before. Ahahahahahaha, I'm so funny, like that'll happen.

C-A
Field Researcher
#39 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 1:29 PM
I'd rather visit 2015... from "Back to the Future" mind you, not next year which has been polluted already by this year & the decade before it

Let me know if GTA V is out by then.
(you know, the version that matters)

You're probably the only imbecile I've heard who never takes care of their optical discs carefully then :P

I don't have any so yeah, I guess. I don't even have an optical drive anymore, 21st century yo. Rarely takes more than 15 minutes to download / install my biggest Steam game (Max Payne 3, 33GB). Origin games actually seem to download faster, probably cause there are indeed a lot of people who still use discs so thanks for that.

Nice to see how some people can get away with one insult after another while I get threatened with the bandhammer for calling an unnamed group of people "dumb" though. Вся власть – Советам!

Where I'm from $40USD almost costs an arm & a leg which is why Piracy is very much accepted here. So those of us who can afford legit games take real good care of our hard copies of games.

Same situation here, which is why it's more convenient to buy digitally distributed games. Cause if you happen to lose your discs you probably won't be able to afford (or want to afford) a new one.
Page 2 of 2