Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 3:41 AM Last edited by attuned : 6th Mar 2017 at 10:07 PM.
Default Random Building Bits
This is a place for any and all building related stories, advice, vents. How did you begin building? Do you build to play or play to build? Where do you get your inspiration? What horrible epic fail turned into a fabulous creation? What epic fail should never be spoken of again- until now?

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 12:49 PM
Might revive this. Back up! *defibrillator sounds*

My inspirations meanwhile come from anywhere, be it Houseplans.com, Oldhousedreams.com(OHD), uploads/ideas from here, random pictures, google searches, Pinterest/Tumblr etc., and real life, ofcourse.

My biggest failures.. I usually eliminate them. I guess the only 'failures' I haven't eliminated are my first uploads here. I actually cringe when I look back at them, but we all gotta start somewhere
One epic failure which turned out great has to be back when I played TS2. I build a home which was inspired by Donald Duck comic, and it was a box with a roof. I ended up playing with that home for serveral months and absolutely loved it for its simplicity, and it looked great in the neighbourhood.

Fails usually occur when I've milked a specific building style, or try one again.
Also when trying out new techniques and/or styles there's a 50/50 chance of it either looking good or just shitty.
Best example would be my Coastal Delight. I've never really had good looking Craftsman homes before, and I tried some new techniques on it, and well.. I can only repeat myself; I'm still learning

That's all I can think of right now, I have a long history of building, startingeven way before I became active here on MTS.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 6:16 AM
That house looks fantastic! I wish I had Sims 3 just so I could download it.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 7:07 AM
I completely forgot to answer the initial questions. I usually get my inspiration from real lots - from actual places I've been to, or photos of houses. I usually build to play. I don't build often unless there's something I feel I need in game, such as a town hall, a medical centre, or medieval barracks. I had a story idea for a couple of male Sims and am just in the process of building a house for them as I couldn't find one that suited what I had in mind.
I'd rather not think of epic fails. If something doesn't work I tend to demolish the whole lot.