Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 10:11 PM Last edited by pretenshus : 19th Dec 2017 at 3:42 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default "new" computer and unholy internet issues {solved}
2 years ago my sister gave up her laptop for me to play the sims 3. I abandoned the laptop until like 3 days ago. It's a dell inspiron n4110 with win 7. I was confused why I left it for another old laptop with XP but then once I tried to download sims 3 and the EPs from origin I was reminded that there is clearly something wrong with the network adapter.

Internet drops in and out only on this device. 6 hours got me to 42% of my download last night. Tried again today and there wasn't even a percentage. It was just script and a constant "resuming download" loop.
sooooo
1. I know this is more comp tech than it is sims 3 but someone has had to run into this, no?
2. The network adapter/driver is an Intel(r) centrino(r) wireless-n 1030. I try to update from device manager and its just a loop of "looking for updates"
3. I downloaded some driver from intel that was compatible but during installation it told me I didn't even have an intel driver
4. Saw a vid where I was told to uninstall the driver, re-detect t it, and then reinstall. Welp, I uninstalled the driver only to have it not be re-detected and then I had to do a system restore to get it back.
5. Intel's driver assisstant hangs on the "processing Microsoft Net 4.5" or wtv

*I did a system restore about 2 years ago in the first place so I'm sure it dropped wtv updates I had.

I'd like to think I'm kind of tech savvy, and would like to believe this isnt a dead end. My XP is trapped in time no doubt but this pc is in completely great shape other than this driver issue.
also I'd provide specs BUT again the laptop has an internet issue so I'm having to use a desktop pc atm.

Help pls!
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 12:31 AM Last edited by pretenshus : 19th Dec 2017 at 12:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Without knowing the history of the laptop, it is hard to tell. The thing with laptops is that as long as you download the driver from the "manufacturer's" website, it should work fine. If it is still having these issues, where as your other computers/laptops are using the same internet and is fine, the hardware may be damaged.

It isn't as uncommon as you may think. My dad's old laptop's wireless actually fried b/c it was too close to the HDD which heats up badly. He end up replacing it with a newer version off eBay.

Before replacing the wireless, you can test this easily by borrowing from a friend or someone who has a "wireless USB stick." I use to have one and they're great for diagnostics etc... It is basically a wireless device on a USB, you plug it in and install the driver and wallah, you have wireless device. Some people may even use it as a permanent fix, though I personally wouldn't recommend it b/c it is a USB stick that sticks out and also it gets heated pretty easily.

Actually this reminds me. She had some kind of belkin/linksys card thing. It was before I was into computers so I had no idea what it was. I'd really hate to have to use the internet with that giant card in there. I may just head to best buy and bother geek squad. So annoying since its a really nice laptop, seems like it had the issue out the box.

p.s.
sooooo I unplugged the laptop from the wall and suddenly the internet is working, slow but working very strange but still worth looking into as opposed to no internet.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 1:21 AM Last edited by pretenshus : 19th Dec 2017 at 3:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Well you can use the belkin/linksys card thing to test the internet on the laptop. If it works, then it is likely the wireless adapter on the laptop is damaged. This adapter can be easily replaced on most laptops. All you have to do is unscrew a back panel, unscrew the wireless chip and replace it.

Okay! I'll definitely leave that to a professional and stop toying with this
---------------------------------------------------------------
I just watched this vid by mistake and whatever it suggested it worked. Wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXP7TtXL1bE