Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 9:05 PM
Default Science Career "Fix"
I think I remember once seeing a mod that changed the skills necessary for the science career. I didn't download it then because I didn't need it but now I beating myself up because I just can't seem to find it. Does anybody know of what I'm talking about? It had several skills and to have the skills necessary for advancement, you could level up any of them and it would work. I think it included the logic skill and the science skill from university. It's probably staring me right in the face, but I still can't find it. Can anybody please help me.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 12:50 AM
Probably this one http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...pic,1870.0.html, its not updated though

Could also be http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers+Tones+Phase+Eleven, No specifics of this mod are listed, NRaas if vague. But it seems like expanding the skills for the career is included

Also relevant mods that I found along the way
http://modthesims.info/d/500846 (Adds Logic skill to Science degree)
http://modthesims.info/d/499564 (Adds Science skill gain to Chemistry Lab table and Telescope)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 7:53 PM
Thank you purplelicious, the first one is what I was looking for, too bad it's not updated though. But anyway, thanks for the help.
Test Subject
#4 Old 18th May 2019 at 12:02 PM
Hey guys, did you have any luck? I want a mod that just changes the skill requirements to be logic and science. Nothing else
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th May 2019 at 7:57 AM
http://modthesims.info/d/548988/var...d-extended.html

This is the updated version of SimsMX' mod. Well, at least the first file from the download page is.

The second file is an extended version of the same mod, that adds multiple other skills to other careers, not just to science and music.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 11th Jun 2019 at 12:46 PM
Thanks @TheThirdWizard for the updated link, this will make ea careers so much more sensible (fishing and gardening for science, but not the science skill, really EA!?) Any idea if it conflicts with Nraas careers?
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 11th Jun 2019 at 4:38 PM Last edited by iCad : 11th Jun 2019 at 4:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by still-playing-sims3
Thanks @TheThirdWizard for the updated link, this will make ea careers so much more sensible (fishing and gardening for science, but not the science skill, really EA!?)

It actually does make sense. The Science career is base game. The Science skill didn't enter the picture until the University EP, which was toward the end of the game's production AND not everyone is going to buy it. You can't have a base game career with requirements from EPs that not everyone is going to have or even want to have. So, while I agree that adding metrics via mods makes sense, it doesn't really make sense for EA to do it. If they did, they'd have people yelling about being "forced" to buy EPs. And those people yelling would be right to yell, too.

Quote:
Any idea if it conflicts with Nraas careers?

This, I would like to know, too. I don't have time to test it right now, but I'll do so when I do have time, and if no one's yet answered this question, I'll post what I find out.

EDIT: They don't conflict according to Delphy's Dashboard, at least. But I'll still want to test in-game, and that I don't have time to do.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 11th Jun 2019 at 11:53 PM
I have both that mod and Nraas careers and can confirm they work fine together.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 12th Jun 2019 at 9:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
It actually does make sense. The Science career is base game. The Science skill didn't enter the picture until the University EP, which was toward the end of the game's production AND not everyone is going to buy it. You can't have a base game career with requirements from EPs that not everyone is going to have or even want to have. So, while I agree that adding metrics via mods makes sense, it doesn't really make sense for EA to do it. If they did, they'd have people yelling about being "forced" to buy EPs. And those people yelling would be right to yell, too.

True, I get why they chose not to incorporate it, but like other EP's who have complimenting features (cats and small pets helping witches gain more power for instance) they could have added science as a career skill for people with the EP, and could've kept it the same for people who don't have it. Or they could've made a separate branch of the science and medical career, that rely more on the skill and have them only be available for the EP. Fair point though, and I'm glad that this functionality came with a mod after all.

Quote: Originally posted by iCad
EDIT: They don't conflict according to Delphy's Dashboard, at least. But I'll still want to test in-game, and that I don't have time to do.

Oh jeah ofcourse, I always forget that I have D's D on my laptop too.

Quote: Originally posted by Tacitala
I have both that mod and Nraas careers and can confirm they work fine together.

Thanks, glad to hear I can use this mod without conflict. Btw, do you know what the Nraas Career Tones module changes about the career functionality? I downloaded it with the other career modules, but their site isn't at all clear about it.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#10 Old 12th Jun 2019 at 11:27 PM
As far as I remember the science skill does already factor in the way you advance in the science career, even though it is not visible in the panel. The most obvious thing is that the higher you are in the skill the more money you are getting paid per hour and career level.
And if I am not completely mistaken you'll start at a higher level in the career depending on your science skill level right after you enter the career.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Jun 2019 at 11:31 PM Last edited by igazor : 13th Jun 2019 at 12:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by still-playing-sims3
Thanks, glad to hear I can use this mod without conflict. Btw, do you know what the Nraas Career Tones module changes about the career functionality? I downloaded it with the other career modules, but their site isn't at all clear about it.

It changes the tones.

Igazor, what kind of answer is that? Booo!

Okay, okay sorry. Career tones are what you see sims actually doing inside of career and school rabbitholes and that for player controlled sims are available by way of a pull-down menu on their working action queue entry on the upper left of the screen. The stock ones tend to be Work Normally, Work Hard, Goof Off, Make Nice With the Boss/Co-Workers (these are typically called something slightly different for each career, but the effects are the same or similar). The Tones module adds some custom ones to the default sets for EA careers, usually related to skill building while at work among a few other things. Inactive sims will also pick up the custom tones at times. The module has no direct impact on the skills/career metrics required for advancement.

Custom careers tend to come with their own tone sets, as designed by their creators.

Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
And if I am not completely mistaken you'll start at a higher level in the career depending on your science skill level right after you enter the career.

Now that's possible, but I don't recall hearing of this before. I thought a Uni degree in Science and Medicine with a decent enough GPA (the higher the GPA, the higher the level) was required to achieve the higher starting levels and salaries. Either that, having reached Level 2 or 3 of the part time Science career as a teen, or both in combination. Of course, one would expect some kind of higher level than 0 on the Science skill if one has a degree and/or brilliant part time experience in the area.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#12 Old 13th Jun 2019 at 12:02 AM
Hm, now that you mention this I think I may have cheated her to some science degree.