Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Nov 2014 at 10:21 PM
Default GIMP Users? Trying to install DDS plugin.
I posted this at the GIMP wiki but they don't seem to get much traffic, so here's the details:

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1.Download gimp-dds-win64-3.0.1.zip file.
2.Open zip file. follow readme instructions.
3.Follow readme instructions: "To install, extract these files to your GIMP plugins directory.

This directory is usually located at:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins
"

What is the expected output? What do you see instead?

Can't find C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?

2.8.6 on Windows 7

Please provide any additional information below.

HELP!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 2:02 AM
If you have a x86 Program Files folder, you could try looking in there. Otherwise just track down where your GIMP install is and follow the path from there.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 12:47 PM
After investigation I find I have two GIMP folders. One is in the regular Program Files, and the other is in User. I'll play around until it works.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 1:05 PM
No, that .dll file simply isn't on my system. I've found several other queries about this online, and none of the suggestions given have worked. I've also found a site where I can download the .dll file but I'm a bit suspicious of it. Nothing's SIMPLE is it?
Scholar
#5 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 8:12 PM
You might try the 32-bit zip instead. I'm on Win 7 64 and I use the 2.0.9 32bit version. All that one has is an exe that you drop into the plugins folder.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 4:23 PM
It's an .exe file whichever version. I've tried all of them.

OK, here's the whole story. Some will be repeated as I'm posting this in several places, and various questions have popped up in each.
This seems to be a common issue as when I googled it I found my question being asked everywhere. But not one solution anywhere.
1. I need GIMP to read .dds files.
2. I found the relevant plugin at http://registry.gimp.org/node/70
3. I downloaded the zip, unzipped it with WinRAR, and tried to install it according to the readme instructions:
To install, extract these files to your GIMP plugins directory.
This directory is usually located at:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

4. At first I could not find the directory at all. Then I discovered I have GIMP folders in two places, in C:\ and in Users:\
I tried extracting the dds.exe into BOTH plugin folders, but each way I get the error message that libgimp-2.0-0.dll is missing.
5. Reading the comments at the link above it says this plugin only works with the x32 GIMP, but then I read this:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/27295

And my brain is melting. I have never had to do anything this complex before and I need help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 4:29 PM
Aaaand, I tried one more time and it worked fine. Go figure. Apparently if at first you don't succeed try, try, try again really does work.