Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 1:59 AM Last edited by kestrellyn : 8th Aug 2021 at 10:19 PM.
Default Project: Make the Sims 2 handle polygamy better
I have in my game a wonderful hack made by Inge and Marhis that allows any sim to marry any other sim. You can find it here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,8196.0.html Among other things, it allows sims who are already married to marry other people, and thus, polygamy and group marriages.

Unfortunately, the game is not very well suited to handle sims with multiple spouses. There is one particular check to see if a sim is married or engaged, and to whom, which is BHAV 0x261 (using neighbor IDs) and 0x43D (using object IDs). This check returns true if the sim is married or engaged, and then returns the neighbor ID and object ID and married/engaged flag in temp variables. Naturally, it only returns the first sim it finds, assuming that there will be only one. A lot of functions call this, check to see if a particular sim matches the spouse returned in temporary variables, and then assumes that the two sims are not married or engaged if the spouse ID doesn't match. This can cause the game to conclude that spouses are not really spouses because one of them is also married to someone else. My goal has been to go through and find all of the places where this logic is used, and correct it. Correcting it is relatively easy; finding all the places where it needs to be corrected, and documenting the actual effect that correcting it has is less easy.

What I am looking for in this thread:
1. People who install the polygamy arch, play with it, and tell me what doesn't work right.
2. People who install the various hacklets I make to fix problems, and report if they work.
3. Modders who might know parts of the codebase I don't, who can tell me what certain BHAVs are used for and who might know what problems a particular one is causing.

It's useful to be able to see attraction scores in-game - I recommend Cyjon's debugger.

What's already been done:
I've made and have been playing with some fixes for some of the problems, and some of them have definitely been fixed! They are attached to this post:
  1. inlawsfixnew. This makes it so that relatives of all spouses are treated as in-laws, rather than just relatives of your first spouse.
  2. Polygamy-marriagewantsfix. This just makes it so that sims who are already married can roll wants and fears of getting married again. It also adds these wants and fears for YAs, who can also get married using the hacked arch. While playing with it, I've seen not only wants and fears of getting married, but also fears of being left at the altar and wants to marry a rich sim appearing in contexts where they wouldn't have normally. The only restrictions are that sims who are already married to someone can't roll a generic want to get married, and sims cannot roll wants/fears to get married to someone they're already married to. Note that this requires TwoJeffs' same sex marriage hack and must load after it. If there is a demand for it, I can make a version that works without it.
  3. Polygamy-attractionfix. This fixes some general attraction problems, such as spouses not being attraction capable, and not getting a certain minimal attraction bonus. There are also some BHAVs whose function I'm not entirely sure of, although they seem to relate to attraction:
    0x229 Rel - Attracted do I LT love param 0
    0x166 Rel - Attracted do I ST love param 0
    0x22A Rel - Attracted does Param 0 LT love me?
    0x169 Rel - Attracted does Param 0 ST love me?
    I have fixed the logic in these functions, but I'm not sure what effect this has on the game. Note that this one requires Pescado's romancemod and must load after it. If there is a demand for it, I can make a version that works without it. Slight change in that anyone who has a crush/love/marriage/engaged/going steady flag will be considered attraction capable, which makes it consistent with code elsewhere.
  4. Changes to ACR. You can download ACR 2.0 here. TwoJeffs has retired from modding the Sims 2, but as far as anyone seems to know he would have no problem with me uploading modified versions of his files. The two ACR files attached to this post need to completely overwrite the ones you have installed in order to work. This solves the problem of spouses refusing to woohoo, or not having autonomous try for baby available if you have restricted that to only married sims. I still find that The One Sim is always the same sim when sims are married, and it would be nice for it to be able to switch between spouses, but I'm unsure how to mod this. I also have one pair whose woohoo score decreased significantly after everyone got married, but it was fixed by manual assignment of The One Sim. I'm sure there is probably still an unfixed underlying problem, however. Made a slight change so that sims in poly relationships who are merely engaged or going steady will also not reject interactions.
  5. Polygamy-affairmemoryfix - makes it so that no one will get a memory of having an affair if the sim they're "cheating" with is someone they're married to, engaged to, or going steady with. I want to later update this so that there will also not be affair memories generated if the sim's spouse would not be jealous due to ACR settings, and/or other jealousy mods.
  6. Polygamy-checksimoutfix - allows the Flirt.../Check Sim Out interaction to appear on multiple spouses.
  7. Polygamy-engagementwantsfix - allows sims to roll the want to get engaged even if they or the target are already engaged or married - now possible to fulfill with Palominocorn's mod!
  8. Polygamy-nojealousyforsteadies - extends the romancemod functionality that no one should get jealous of two married or engaged sims interacting romantically to steadies as well. Might or might not require romancemod.
  9. Polygamy-jealousscoldfix - fixes an obscure case when bad reactions could happen when a sim is involved in a complicated multimarriage. Also uses romancemod code and must load after it.
  10. PalominocornAdultsGoSteadyLastNameDialogPolyFriendly - this adds go steady for adults, requires it for engagement, and adds the last name dialog to the marriage social, with all three of these socials being poly friendly so that you can have as many steadies/fiances/spouses as you want with just Maxis interactions (i.e. no need for the marriage of convenience arch). Palominocorn originally made this and released it on tumblr, but there was a problem where the marriage social wouldn't actually marry the sims. I've attached the fixed version to this post.

What is still left to do:
I have searched all Sims 2 resources for functions which call the two marriage checks, although there may be other places where logic needs to be fixed. Some situations that pop out, based on the functions' names:
  • Wedding parties and honeymoons - I rarely use these, so I have no idea what might go wrong.
  • Memories and reactions to cheating (though most of these should be fixed by romancemod)
  • Choosing the second parent for adoption. One of the things I was thinking of doing was actually having a dialog pop up whenever a baby was born allowing you to choose the second parent from among the sim's spouses and lovers, and the real parent of the child - that way, your married sims wouldn't always automatically know that their wife's child wasn't theirs, and you'd be able to have a spouse or lover "adopt" an alien child, or have a sim married to multiple other sims choose which of those sims should be the other parent. This would not change genetics, but only the family ties.

Anyway, I'd love it if some of you guys could help me out, and then at some point I will be able to upload a set of hacks that makes polygamy actually work well with the game! I'm sure you all have particular playstyles that probably make some problems more apparent to you than they are to me, so it would be very helpful to even just play with polygamy in your game and notice when things go wrong. Also, I would like to know if there are any hacks that misbehave when polygamy occurs, because there is a good chance they can be fixed, too!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Polygamy-marriagewantsfix.zip (406 Bytes, 610 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Polygamy-attractionfix.zip (1.4 KB, 510 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  ACR.zip (78.0 KB, 514 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Polygamy-affairmemoryfix.zip (391 Bytes, 341 downloads)
File Type: zip  Polygamy-checksimoutfix.zip (534 Bytes, 324 downloads)
File Type: zip  Polygamy-engagementwantsfix.zip (383 Bytes, 307 downloads)
File Type: zip  Polygamy-nojealousyforsteadies.zip (630 Bytes, 327 downloads)
File Type: zip  Polygamy-jealousscoldfix.zip (501 Bytes, 293 downloads)
File Type: zip  PalominocornAdultsGoSteadyLastNameDialogPolyFriendly.zip (57.0 KB, 352 downloads)
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 2:40 PM
As far as I know, Romantic Standards does not play nice with poly relationships, especially marriages. It's also essentially a replacement to romancemod but also changes and expands many things on top of it. With this mod, I sometimes get rejections from at least one of the spouses (depending on how high the chemistry is between the two sims, among other criteria)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 7:32 PM
Hmm, I guess if I modify that mod I won't be able to properly test it until I actually install BV. I guess that's a good enough reason to get on that. I'll do that, and check this out in more detail when I'm back on Windows (right now I'm writing a Python tool for another game on linux, but I'm mostly done with it and only have to test it at this point).
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 6:43 PM
I will test things for you. I will download these when I get home from work and play around with it. I will report back tomorrow.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Oct 2018 at 7:04 PM
Awesome! Are you able to test the Romantic Standards mod that duderocks mentioned? I still haven't installed BV and I'm not super familiar with how it's supposed to work.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 4:04 PM
Just so you know, Twojeffs did reply over at Simbology and has given permission (as long as credit is given of course).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 7:26 PM
Great, thanks!

There's a couple other things I want to do before coming back to this, but I'll update the post.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 6:18 PM
I did some testing - perhaps not enough, but I had some time yesterday and this morning.

(Remember that I live in a country where polygamy is legal and still quite popular).

It seems to work fine, except - the sims don't seem to care about being married at all - they just sleep around with anybody available and willing.

It does not work that way in real life (there are exceptions, of course) - these marriages are taken seriously.

I don't know if that can be changed in anyway (I am not a modder) - but that is my conclusion.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 8:04 PM
Are you playing with ACR? You should be able to disable autonomous cheating and unmarried woohoo in the settings. Or did my changes break that?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 8:38 PM
Yes - I play with ACR.

Changed the settings - not quite.

I changed the settings on the home lots (I made 2 families) - but not for the complete hood (there are single sims and I don't want every sim to stop doing everything).

I guess that will be the choice then?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 9:31 PM
You should be able to change settings for individual sims, as well as for lots and the hood. I don't remember off the top of my head which settings are available at which level, though.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 7:22 AM
Yes - although I don't really had to change any settings to have most married sim couples concentrate on each other in my normal hood.

I have, when there are a lot of singles, changed the significant other at times (since it gets a bit messy when 15 sims have the same significant other )

(I have a smallish hood that I mainly use to test things in, but it has now grown to 8 families after adding the 2 polygamous ones - I will try the individual settings as well).

I will play some more with these two families - but although the memories and wants seem correct, I am not sure that the sims actually understand that they are married - compared to other couples.

I will also try some more ACR settings to see what happens.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 4:32 PM
Does this work? Allow poly-relations?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Apr 2020 at 7:17 PM
The hacked wedding arch does that. This just fixes various things in the game to make it work better.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th May 2020 at 7:13 AM
Update: I have at last fixed the problem where multi-spouses wouldn't accept woohoo if they didn't have the right One Sim. If you're using this, redownload ACR.zip.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 5:36 AM
For anyone following this thread, here is an exciting new mod that makes various go-steady-for-adults mods polyamory-enabled! https://palominocorn.tumblr.com/pos...lationships-mod Now you don't have the use the special wedding arch.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 9th Jul 2020 at 9:49 PM
I don't use Pescado's RomanceMod and have... little interest in actually putting it in my game, since I actually play relatively basic, I use a different mod for the jealousy issues.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Jun 2021 at 1:24 AM
Hey guys, I've created a number of new mods for this and just never got around to uploading them. So, here they are. See the first post for details - they are all marked with .
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 29th Jun 2021 at 9:39 PM
Ok, just added one more fix (jealousscoldfix) for an obscure multimarriage situation.
Alchemist
#20 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 5:47 PM
@kestrellyn, since you have probably looked a lot at these things, maybe you are the person to ask. I use no-jealousy-at-all and like it very much, but I would like to be able to turn on jealousy for an individual sim. Is there a way to do that using anything you've made or do you have an idea how it might be done with no-jealousy. I do not use ACR and don't want to if there is a more streamlined way.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 5:59 PM
My go-to for that would be ACR, since it provides a convenient way to turn jealousy on and off for individual sims and lots. I *think* if you just install the Main and Controller packages and not any of the social interaction packages you would get the jealousy controls and not any of the social interactions, if you don't want them. Midgethetree also has some anti-jealousy teas that might work, although I haven't tried them, although this is a solution where you would have to give the teas to every single sim except the ones you want to be jealous, and it's probably more involved than just selecting an option on the ACR controller. I believe there is also a no-jealousy trait object that you can give sims with the traits project.
Alchemist
#22 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
My go-to for that would be ACR, since it provides a convenient way to turn jealousy on and off for individual sims and lots. I *think* if you just install the Main and Controller packages and not any of the social interaction packages you would get the jealousy controls and not any of the social interactions, if you don't want them. Midgethetree also has some anti-jealousy teas that might work, although I haven't tried them, although this is a solution where you would have to give the teas to every single sim except the ones you want to be jealous, and it's probably more involved than just selecting an option on the ACR controller. I believe there is also a no-jealousy trait object that you can give sims with the traits project.

So far, ACR has not been what I am looking for but it's been a while since I looked at it. Thanks!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Aug 2021 at 10:11 PM
I've added a fixed version of Palominocorn's hack to the first post.
Test Subject
#24 Old 11th Apr 2022 at 2:16 PM
hi! i love the idea of these mods/fixes a lot, but i have a problem in which i don't have the romancemod, and i have no interest in downloading it. i already use midgethetree's edited version of Romantic Standards and i doubt it would work v well with another mod trying to edit the same resources... is there any way to make the fixes dependant on the romancemod, well, not depend on the romancemod?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 11th Apr 2022 at 10:18 PM
Theoretically I could do that, but I'm sure they probably wouldn't work with Romantic Standards since that probably modifies the same stuff, anyway, and it's hard for me to make stuff compatible with such an extensive mod that I don't actually use.
Page 1 of 2