Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#76 Old 7th Jul 2006 at 12:06 PM
Sorry. I realized later that was what you meant.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 18th Nov 2006 at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Double check it, and be sure to have the "##0x1C050000!" prefix in front of the CRES reference.

I knew if I ever had the time to read thru other's posts I'd discover what was going wrong with my slave object. I had given up and went back to my stand alone chair using the same texture files as my table even tho it meant double the # of packages, but figured I'd give it one more try.

I don't recall the tut mentioning that the CRES reference needed the "##0x1C050000!" for my tsMaterialsMeshName strings (it wasn't part of the Filename in the Resource Node of my repository object)...but I added that to the beginning of each string and my chair now shows up with all the wood color opts and fabric ops I had on my table texture file! I'm so thrilled.

Thank you Numenor!

Dino's Rose - amatuer modder
Screenshots
The ModFather
retired moderator
#78 Old 18th Nov 2006 at 2:44 PM
It's easy to ovelook a step in this tutorial, there are numerous steps to perform
You are right, the tutorial doesn't mention explicitly to include the prefix in the name, but in the picture (part B, step 5) you can see that the prefix is included in the text to copy and paste.

I'm glad that you succeeded in creating your slave chair (beautiful, btw! )

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#79 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 7:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
It's easy to ovelook a step in this tutorial, there are numerous steps to perform
You are right, the tutorial doesn't mention explicitly to include the prefix in the name, but in the picture (part B, step 5) you can see that the prefix is included in the text to copy and paste.

I see where I went wrong now. I copied what was in the Filename field on the Content tab of the Resource Node instead of the Filename on cObjectGraphNode tab (too many filename fields... ). I guess that's what I get for trying to switch back and forth between screens and Adobe Reader...I should have just printed the tut out.

Thanks again!

Dino's Rose - amatuer modder
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 9th Jul 2007 at 12:15 AM
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out please, I think i've chosen the wrong object to be a repository as I think its a slave to another object already.

I made three different size candlesticks and then imported them as subsets to the holiday candle. When I went through the repository and slave steps the candle is already there with all its recolours and the glowgoub which I want to replace with the candlestick.

Can I still use this object as the repository if its already a slave? Can it be changed from being a slave?

I would really appreciate your help and I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time I do tend to jump ahead of myself sometimes I'm just so eager to learn.

Thanks

angieb
The ModFather
retired moderator
#81 Old 9th Jul 2007 at 8:54 AM
If I understand well, you have created three candles, with the intention of making them slave of the Holiday Candle; but then you discovered that the Holiday Candle is already slave of another candle, right?

Then you can just set as Repository the original candle that the Holiday Candle is enslaved to; you have to edit your three candles like this:

1) GMND/tsMaterialsMeshName: copy the CRES reference from the Holiday Candle and paste them into your own candles
2) Shape: again, copy the Material Definition references from the Holiday Candles and past them into your own Shapes.

If you cloned the Holiday Candle, in order to create your own candles, then probably the references are already fine, without any need of correction. Just be sure that SimPE has NOT added any "##0x1c050000!" in front of the CRES names (in the GMND) or in front of the Material Definitions names (in the Shape).

This way, your candles will be enslaved directly to the original candle. This will get rid also of another problem: the Holiday Candle not being widely used (you can't redistribute Maxis items, and only a small part of the users own the Holiday pack).
I always suggest not to use as Repository an object coming from an EP, or (even worse) a stuff pack, for this reason.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#82 Old 9th Jul 2007 at 9:50 AM Last edited by angieb : 9th Jul 2007 at 10:23 AM.
What I did was import the candlestick as a subset to the candle making a seperate object, then created another two candlesticks of different size and I wanted them all to share the textures of the first candlestick and candle making a set. I was being a bit of a cheat because I don't know how to make an animated candle yet I hav'nt got that far. I did try cloning the candle and importing that as a subset to the candlestick but was getting ahead of myself there because I don't know how to retain the animation.

Would it be better then to just not use the holiday candle but clone it with the boxes unchecked and look up the tsMaterialsMeshName of the candle the holiday candle is enslaved to and then import the candlestick as a subset to that one making a seperate object candle and candlestick.?

Thankyou very much for your help.

angieb
The ModFather
retired moderator
#83 Old 9th Jul 2007 at 6:20 PM
One of your problems is that you "don't know how to retain animations", and therefore you decided to import an additional subset into an existing candle (so to "retain the animation").
But there's a misunderstanding: the candle mesh is NOT animated, and therefore you can load it in your favourite 3D esitor, saving it in OBJ format, without losing any animation. The only animation is on the flame: it's just an animated texture, that is contained in every candle.

My suggeston is to do this:

1) clone the candle from the base game
2) export the mesh (all its parts, including the flame) and edit it at will; you can move and resize the flame, too: just remember not to change its name and not to modify its UV-map.
3) reimport everything in your clone.

The second problem I foresee is that you have "imported the candlestick as a separate object". I'm not sure to understand well, but the Repository tecnique requires that the slave object has the same number and same name of the master object...

Lab Assistant
#84 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 2:34 PM
Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining.

The advice you have given me is exactly what I needed thankyou. The main problem was the holiday candle. The repository technique worked untill I got to the point where I needed to enable the slave object then it all became confusing because that was already a slave. I will do exactly what you said with the candle from the base game and then I'm sure everything will work great.

Your time and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thankyou ever so much.

angieb
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 11:38 AM
Hi Numenor,

I did everything you said and its's worked out fine thankyou. The only problem I have now is that I can only access one candle colour and not the recolours. Do I have to list the other colours somewhere. I have tried putting all three colours in the shape but still only one colour will show.

Thankyou

angieb
The ModFather
retired moderator
#86 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 9:16 AM
Putting all the three colours in the Shape is useless (and actually wrong): the shape must hold ONE Material Definition for each subset, in particular the default colour; so, you'd better remove the extra lines.

As for the recolour not working, remember that:

1) in order to create a recolour, you have to create a recolour package of the Repository object (the Maxis candles).
2) The recolours should be visible in catalog, for both the Maxis candles and your custom candle.
3) If they appear only for the MAxis candle, then there is something wrong in your slave object: double check the GMND (the tsMaterialsMeshName should contain the CRES reference of the Maxis candle without any "##0x1c...." prefix, because you are linking to a Maxis object).

Lab Assistant
#87 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 10:07 AM Last edited by angieb : 19th Jul 2007 at 10:19 AM.
I know it was wrong I was just trying anything and everything to try and get the colours to show. Sorry, you learn from your mistakes. I've put it all back as it should be and copied and pasted the cres name. I've gone through J woods tutorial and the tutorial by Ignorant Bliss, making a repository from maxis objects and I can still only get one colour for the candle.

I will go over it again obviously I 've made an error as you said with the cres name.

Please don't be angry with me I'm just getting a bit frustrated with myself it's obviously something really simple and I can't see it for looking.

I've only done one recolour of the anytime candle so far because I can't get the other two colours of maxis to show let alone mine.

Thankyou again for your time and your help and I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I don't understand the technique I do I just can't get it right. I hope I hav'nt wasted your time.

thankyou angieb

Just a thought I only used one candle not all three.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#88 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 10:43 AM
Getting angry with a user that kindly asks questions and shows a genuine willing to learn is something that will never happen

Quote:
I've only done one recolour of the anytime candle so far because I can't get the other two colours of maxis to show let alone mine.

Does this mean that the original anytime candle doesn't show ALL the Maxis recolours, plus the new one you created? In this case, the recolour you created might have something wrong, OR the mesh object you created is creating conflicts with the Maxis one...

Let's do this: post here your custom candle, and the recolour you have created, and I will take a look

Lab Assistant
#89 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 6:37 PM Last edited by angieb : 19th Jul 2007 at 6:43 PM.
Hi Numenor,

I've done it.

I had'nt put in the the last Data List Extension. I did'nt get an error message probably because its an updated version of SimPE and that confused me a little I thought I had'nt done it right so I'd left the tsMaterialsMeshName (the one I should have changed to candle) as that and not put in the last string. So it was linking to the main candle but not picking up the recolours.

Thankyou for offering to take a look if I had'nt figured it out by this evening I was going to tear my hair out I would have been begging you.

thankyou again

angieb
The ModFather
retired moderator
#90 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 10:45 PM
I'm so glad you fixed the package yourself It's much more gratifying this way, isn't it? :D

If you didn't add a line to the DataList Extension Reference, the game just ignored your tsMaterialsName block: the purpose of the Reference list is actually to tell the game how many blocks are in the GMND.
FYI, if the Reference has one line less, then the last block in the GMND is ignored; if the Reference has one line in excess, the game will crash.

Lab Assistant
#91 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 10:33 AM
Definately more gratifying

I won't be making that mistake again, what was so frustrating was I knew I'd got it half right because the candle would'nt have shown up at all.

I've also memorised the tutorial because i've been throught it so many times now.

Thankyou again I really am enjoying learning all this new stuff even though it can be frustrating at times and I would never have been able to do any of it without all you guys at MTS2.

A very happy bunny

angieb
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 6:41 AM Last edited by julsfels : 18th Oct 2007 at 10:34 AM.
Hello,

first of all: thanks, JWoods and Numenor, for this wonderful "tutorial" (and all you have done for the community).
I always thought it was very annoying to have textures more than one time in the game, even if the textures are hugh ones (shame on me).
So yesterday I changed some of my objects to the repository technique, and everthing worked fine. Happy!
But now I have a problem: I have two different computers with two different installations of The Sims. I worked and tested on the one where only the Base-Game is installed, and in the Downloads-Folder are only the objects I am actually working with. Here, everything was ok.
Then I tested it on the other installation - all AddOns, up to Bon Voyage, and all Mini Packs, and about 1000 Downloads. On this installation, the following problem occurs: by using the design tool (or even choosing a recolor from the catalog), the game needs around 30 sec. until the objects changes into the recolor - veeeeryyyy slooooow. This occurs only by using the repository technique - when I recolor the objects in the usual way, loading time is normal.
Does any one know about this problem, and is there perhaps a possibility to avoid this?

Thanks! Andrea
Mad Poster
#93 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 9:17 AM Last edited by niol : 18th Oct 2007 at 9:39 AM.
julsfels,

I guess this is not a particular issue for the repository technique.

My ground is that Maxis has already used it in some instances since the base game.
From my experiences, I don't see any lagging on this coz I often do repository recolouring and fences. Surely, this doesn't guarantee it's the case to others.

In your case, I reckon it's the amount of custom contents for your full game copy to read causes the lagging.
This also happens to me in my game copies with a lot of custom contents.

However, if the game engine sorting methods aren't parallel enough or selectively decided, some lagging for secondary sorting may happen when a huge total amount of contents (default and custom) to read. But then, isn't that good to have a temporary indexing for easy updating and sorting when that's the case?

In addition, bigger textures or meshes take more resources and timing to read. The more material features added to the textures to form the resultant materials can also take up even more resources and timing. So as the complexity of a mesh...
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 9:46 PM
Yes. No. *Confused* Thanks for your answer. This was my first thought, too - too many custom objects.
But I am using the repository technique for other objects, and I have them in my "productive system" (the user-account, I am using to play) with over 20.000 DLs in game - and there is no lagging except of this single object (a door).

I guess, it must have a reason I did not yet detect - I´m going to test a little bit.
Mad Poster
#95 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 4:45 PM
Field Researcher
#96 Old 6th Dec 2008 at 8:12 PM
Ok I read the tutorial on Repository Tehnique, but I have a few questions. Say I have a furniture set with about 5 pieces in it, and I've decided that my repository object will be a shelf type object with items already on it. Now the texture/UV map for this shelf will serve as the texture map for the other objects.

1) Is it possible to have multiple textures in the repository UV map tha is not used by the repository object?

2) When/and if I decide to gave one of my objects a subset of recolors, is that possible. By this I mean, you know how you click on say a counter and there's color options for both the counter and counter top. Could I still do that with on my slave objects. Say if I had a mesh that's a table with a jar on it that was a slave object, could i make a color subset for the table and jars all while working from the repository texture/uv map?

If so, I presume I would just go on with the subset tutorial.

EDIT:

3) Can this work if you are using the UV Mapper in 3ds max? Would I then just uv map them both, then open it in UV Mapper classic with my texture map?

4)And is it possible or better to actually have made a texture map before a uv map?

An Epic Victorian Saga unlike any ever made for the Sims 2. Jane Toland, an idealist woman struggles in the pious society that disdains her.

Inventor
#97 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 12:37 AM
Just to let anyone know, the tutorial provided in the PDF says nothing about the "tsDesignModeEnabled" step in the "enabling" section, something I found out during the recent downtime. Thankfully I remembered I had to do something with that item (after doing everything else and wondering why my object couldn't be selected with the design tool) and figuring out what to do was fairly simple to remember (was only using the tutorial to refresh my memory.) But someone may want to think about fixing that.

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Page 4 of 4