Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 11:56 AM
Default Help Needed; Custom Facial Hair
Ok so this might be a long post but I'm going to try to get everything in here with as little confusion as possible. So I've been attempting to work on some new custom facial hairs and have run into a couple of major problems. Here's the process I've used thus far to try to get everything working:

Grabbed s4pe, TS4 CAS Tools and Color Magic. The first step I take is I open up the ClientFullBuild0.package with CAS tools and find the facial hair I want to clone. I clone it (in this case it was ymFacialHair_Shadow) and save it as a package. Then I open it up with s4pe and track down the UNKN item in the list that shows a texture preview and export to DDS. I open it up in Photoshop CS6, make the necessary changes including creating a new alpha layer with the new facial hair texture selected (I remove the old alpha layer). I save as a DDS (DXT5/interpolated alpha) and import from DDS in s4pe to the UNKN item from previous steps. I save it as a new package and toss it into my Mods folder.

Now, when I open up TS4 and go to create a new sim for testing I cannot see my new facial hair item anywhere in CAS. I suspect I'm either missing a step or doing something wrong. Attempting to use Color Magic is a bust since even if I open up ClientFullBuild0.package with it and select any item it won't let me hit the next button.

I will add that I only cloned one of the colors of the facial hair I wanted just as a test. The texture when opened in PS also had a green background with a pixelated blob in the middle where the facial hair was. My process involved removing all of the old texture, painting the new facial hair on a transparent background and replacing the alpha layer. Still, I think I'm missing something in the whole process.

Any help with this would be great!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 7:10 PM
Are you making sure you are selecting 'Generate MIP maps' when you are importing and exporting into PS?

I've been working on some beards and haven't had any problems so I'm sure we can work this out...

JD
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 7:11 PM
When you use color magic I have the same issue Do you have CAs cloner? By Grant? I already cloned 5 beards with custom swatches and everything works just fine. Maybe try this tool. Or redownload cas Tool, cmar updated it and fixed a lot of non-mesh-cloning issues I hope you'll solve this problem :D

♘ visit my tumblr here
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JosephTheSim2k5
Are you making sure you are selecting 'Generate MIP maps' when you are importing and exporting into PS?

I've been working on some beards and haven't had any problems so I'm sure we can work this out...

JD

When I bring it into PS I have the "Load using default sizes" checked. That's it. When I export it out I do have it set to generate MIP maps. So I don't think it's a texture issue. Maybe it's missing some sort of data though? Also Cmar's tool can't seem to find the package files for the game even though I've pointed it to the correct folder. Not sure what's happening there so I end up having to manually open up ClientFullBuild0.package to find the facial hairs.

@trap lorde: Where can I find CAS cloner?
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DFMcLeod
@trap lorde: Where can I find CAS cloner?

CAS Cloner is by Kuree, not Grant. Here: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...16&topic=3190.0
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
CAS Cloner is by Kuree, not Grant. Here: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...16&topic=3190.0

Oh ok thank you. Is it usable with the full game or just the CAS demo?
Instructor
#7 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 10:22 AM
For some reason, my first attempt didn't show up either. Are you using the most recent CAS Tools? That seemed to fix it for me.

The other thing that it looks like you do differently to me is that I edit the alpha that already exists, where it looks like you create a new one completely?

CAS Cloner should work from the game (as far as I know...) When you download it, check where it is getting the ClientFullBuild0.package from.

JD
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JosephTheSim2k5
For some reason, my first attempt didn't show up either. Are you using the most recent CAS Tools? That seemed to fix it for me.

The other thing that it looks like you do differently to me is that I edit the alpha that already exists, where it looks like you create a new one completely?

CAS Cloner should work from the game (as far as I know...) When you download it, check where it is getting the ClientFullBuild0.package from.

JD

I am using the most recent version of CAS Tools. It does not seem to find where the packages are even though I've pointed it to the correct folder. It also didn't clone the UNKN item with the texture with the latest version for some reason. Tried this with both the Shadow and Five Oclock Shadow facial hairs.

Also yes, I am creating a new alpha channel completely seeing as I found it easier than editing the existing alpha channel.

I've tried pointing CAS Tools to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Data\Client and it can't find the packages. I've also tried pointing it to my backup folder which is C:\Games\The Sims 4\Data\Client and it doesn't find them there either.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#9 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 1:06 PM
Are you using the settings in CAS Tools to point it to the right folder, not using the manual package picker? Are you getting an error message or is it not finding things?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Are you using the settings in CAS Tools to point it to the right folder, not using the manual package picker? Are you getting an error message or is it not finding things?

I get a message saying it can't find the game packages. I have tried setting the path in the settings, no luck.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 4:54 AM
Problem seems to be fixed now that TS4 CAS Tools can locate the packages properly! Will report back if I run into any other issues.
Instructor
#12 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 3:08 PM
Glad you sorted it