Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 2:37 PM
family relationship changes,maybe?
isn't it about time we have the option to create 'alternative' family structurs without cheating? like a grandchild living with thier grandparents,or a teen living with thier adult sibling(s)? if the family tree structure was modified a bit it could even offer an option to create aunt/uncle gaurdian situations, where a young sim can live with thier moms sister and her family (as an example) i duno about you but the 'sim must have a parent in the household' set-up of CAS drives me batty at times when i want a teen to live with her grandparents and i have to kill off her parents after they move in,ya know?

any opinions? operators are standing by to take your calls :headset: :nyah:

My policy is: If you have any complaints about anything at all...I hate you.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 4:33 PM
That's actually something I'd like sooo much. I hate it how you need a parent for Toddlers, Kids and Teens. I want to have as much realism as possible in my game, and a feature like that would definitely (sp?) be an improvement.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 5:37 PM
It would be really nice to be able to set the family structure up in CAS even then you wanted more complex family structures.

For new or updated skins, please visit my website: Pink Rabbit
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 6:06 PM
Faith: that was kinda my point..i'd like to be able to set the family tree up from the get-go, not change things after the fact.

Mac: yeah i mean i can make sally and her aunt sue but once sallys mom is out of the picture(deleted from the CAS area) it yells at me to give the kid a parent..Thats what needs to go

My policy is: If you have any complaints about anything at all...I hate you.
Test Subject
#5 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 7:14 PM
I wish kids could live happily with a step-dad and mother, because they always seem upset in the game about their parents being with someone else. So I wish step-parents and step-children would be recognized as family in a way. And if a kid's parents died in a fire, they kid would live with his aunt or something, this isn't doable in the game I think. Everyone is so tied to their original parents it seems, they should recognize other people as close family as well.
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 7:59 PM
I tried to have a Teen sim living with his Twin Adult sisters but the social worker took him away.
I'd like to have those situations, I also had a Teen sim living with her Aunt and Uncle but i had to kill off the parents.
Those types of TRee's would be fun to make rght away. even in Sims1 you can kinda do that because there are no trees i had a sim child live with his Gradparents.

^_Q
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th Apr 2008 at 12:03 AM
Yeah I also find it maddening that the game doesnt recognize the family relationship between great grandparents and great grandchildren. Sure, they show it in the family tree, but the family options dont show up in the game, like family kiss. It really creeped me out, when my sim grandfather was attracted to my sim daughter! In real life, my grandmother lived with me for over a year, but in the game, she didnt even realize she was related to my daughter. As people age in real life, there are more and more instances of great grandparents that are still living. Heck, a lady I worked for just recently became a great great grandmother! My grandmother has the possibility of seeing a great great grandchild as well, since my son is 22 and my daughter is 18. It would just be nice for the game to still recognize family relationships that far down the line is all.

I also would like more family interactions between step parents and step kids. Even adult step kids.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 14th Apr 2008 at 12:25 AM
J Cas- What are you talking about? Teens don't get taken away by Social Workers.

I hope for something like this too, I am big on family and I consider all relations as family. Aunt/Uncle/Cousin/Siblings/Parent/Grandparents/Great, Great and so on grandparents/Nieces/Nephews/Grandchildren..... Well you get the picture, and it's annoying when you can't do that in the game, you can't even make an adult sim sibling or cousin to an Elder sim!.

And Elders can't even have parents in the CAS, my great grandmother was alive aleast almost 17 or so years ago when I was young, and my grandmother would have only been like between 50 and 60! Which would consider her an elder in the game, and My Dad is fifty right now while my grandmother is about 70, so it is ridiculous, hope they improve on the family relations in TS3
Test Subject
#9 Old 14th Apr 2008 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Willow's Tara
J Cas- What are you talking about? Teens don't get taken away by Social Workers.

I hope for something like this too, I am big on family and I consider all relations as family. Aunt/Uncle/Cousin/Siblings/Parent/Grandparents/Great, Great and so on grandparents/Nieces/Nephews/Grandchildren..... Well you get the picture, and it's annoying when you can't do that in the game, you can't even make an adult sim sibling or cousin to an Elder sim!.

And Elders can't even have parents in the CAS, my great grandmother was alive aleast almost 17 or so years ago when I was young, and my grandmother would have only been like between 50 and 60! Which would consider her an elder in the game, and My Dad is fifty right now while my grandmother is about 70, so it is ridiculous, hope they improve on the family relations in TS3

it was a glitch, but it did happen the sim became unselectable then the van pulled up and he got in the car. it's never happend again thankfully... i didn't save so i was able to re-try

^_Q
Forum Resident
#10 Old 14th Apr 2008 at 11:53 AM
I'd like something that makes it less likely that sims will get wants to flirt with their stepchildren, after the step-children are grown (especially if they raised them since childhood). More loyalty to spouse is part of that (though sometimes they only roll that want after spouse's death), but also more recognition of "unofficial roles" that sims hold. Of course, it shouldn't be impossible - got have it for certain types of stories - just less likely.

I too, wish, we could CAS families with someone living with their grandparent/uncle/aunt and have relatives get orphaned children when their parents die. Not sure about when there is neglect. In that case,for certain, family relationships should remain the same, rather than adoption taking place. And, on a slightly separate note, children shouldn't be taken into the adoption pool when one parent catches fire and dies and the other is at work.
#11 Old 14th Apr 2008 at 5:27 PM
It would also be great if we could influence the family relationship meters in CAS, and have the meters be individual to the person. It would be so much fun to have a teen who hated his parents but the parents but the parents loved their son very much and had a high meter with him, or siblings who are closer with one of their sisters over another.
Scholar
#12 Old 14th Apr 2008 at 6:08 PM
I've been wanting this feature too--the ability to make unconventional families, ones without adults, and also to be able to influence some family history. For example, deciding who gets to "teach potty training" to the kids, if some family members are enemies, and including memories of family members who died.

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
Forum Resident
#13 Old 14th Apr 2008 at 11:52 PM
Tzigone- Yeah, it's annoying if both sims dies and the Social Worker takes them away, but the worse thing is the poor kid has to be brainwashed (Yes I call it brainwash) and forget their parents, which is stupid, I think they should make two seperate family trees for the adoptive child, the adopted family and the blood family.

Because what kind of child is going to forget that their parents died? And what kind of heartless cruel person makes them forget the parents completely?, Babies and Toddlers sure since you can barely remeber anything but Children? They can remeber things since the age of 5.

Which is why now I use Insim to summon the child that got taken away and put them in the new family, and treat them like family while the child still remebers his or her old family.
#14 Old 15th Apr 2008 at 2:41 PM
I would like the children or teens or offsprings to respect the adults or parents a little more. Like when there is a call from Sim A's son, B, if Sim A does not pick up the phone, Sim (son) B addresses Sim A by his or her name. Why not "Hey Sim C, is dad or mom home?" than "Hey Sim C, is Sim A home?" and then Maxis-people should also develop Uncle and Aunt relationship a little further.
And in my game, there's a governess who got attracted to the child when he grew up into an adult, even when she knows that she is like his motherly-figure.....it was really annoying!!!!! Somethign really should be done about all this unwanted attractions!!!