Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 12:18 AM
Default Pardoning Nixon
Here's a question that runs through my head everytime I think of Nixon: would it have been better if Nixon were to be fried for the crimes he committed, or is it better off that he was pardoned? I hear these people saying how not pardoning him is the right thing to do, but in all honesty, I can't think of how publicy trying Nixon would have any negative effect on the US that wouldn't dissippate after awhile.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 8:39 PM
Oooo, I still get all pissed off when I think about how Nixon was pardoned and what the reason was!!!! "No U.S. President should spend a night behind bars"

If they break the freakin law they should! This is so basically sick and wrong. If ANY OTHER citizen of that country would be put in jail for "X" offense,.....then ANY member of government that commits "X" offense should be put in jail! Since when did our politicians rise to the level of royalty?? Because last I checked, royalty is historically the only group that gets to "live above the law".

I don't care what political party it is, or what politician it is. If "Joe Shmoe" would spend five years behind bars, then so should they! I literally cannot believe this happened and is still going on! (cough cough.....Libby anyone?)

I was sickened at the "royal" funeral of Nixon. I was sickened by how many people kissed his dead butt. I think his friends, family and so on have every right to do this. But when it is nothing but a bunch of politicians making power moves, its just offensive.

The precedent this keeps setting is wrong. The higher you are in office, the less you have to worry about real legal repercussions? We have NO problem jailing leaders and politicians from other countries,.......why is the U.S. so special in this regard? Why and when did the American public decide that U.S. politicians were so special that they do not have to adhere to the law? When and why did the American public decide it would be "too hard" on our society if they were punished???????????
Theorist
#3 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 9:02 PM
So then you would agree that a President found guilty of perjury should also spend time in jail, just like a regular person should? You would then agree that a President who broke the law while still an attorney should have his license to practice law revoked then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by davious
So then you would agree that a President found guilty of perjury should also spend time in jail, just like a regular person should? You would then agree that a President who broke the law while still an attorney should have his license to practice law revoked then?

I came back before I run to work just because I KNEW you were gonna post that!! :gonemad:

First of all, if you read my post, you will see that I stated regardless of party or politician. IF any Joe Shmoe would serve jail time because of said perjury, then any President should serve the same time. This divide and automatic regression between the perceived "Republican and Democrat" parties is boardering on insane. I DONT CARE, be it Republican, Democrat, Whig, Libertarian, or what. Just as i think Pres Bush should have been in alot more trouble for his drugs and further problems, just like anyone else........so should an attorney who broke the law have his license revoked, just like anyone else. Of course, this would mean jailing most of the politicians elected right now,.....but I don't think that is really such a bad thing. It might actually help out a hell of alot!
#5 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 2:48 AM
Its frankly expected. However, Nixon isn't alone on this. The most recent US President who might not have committed illegal acts was Eisenhower... come to think of it, it could well be Coolidge or even Taft.

The Kennedy family is corrupt as sin. The blow jobs were the tip of the Iceberg for Clinton. Watergate. Iran-Contra. Teapot dome, for a long-ago scandal. Scooter Libby and Alberto Gonzales, for something recent. If you're looking for clean, honest people, you don't look at politicians.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 7:12 AM
Ford was right to pardon Nixon. It would have been a mess trying to govern the country while Nixon was on trial for the rest of his term.

Clinton: He wasn't pardoned. He negotiated a plea-bargain with Ken Starr to give up his law license for five years in return for not being prosecuted for perjury.

As for Bush, assuming he ever has to face the music for his acquiescence in torture of prisoners, I think we shouldn't prosecute him, but rather, just turn him over to the World Court in the Hague. Should that situation come to pass. And I dearly hope so, because establishing a state-run apparatus of torture with our tax dollars is certainly a worse crime than what Nixon or Clinton did.