Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 10:57 PM
Default Sims 2 CD not being recognized
Alright, so i bought a new computer. I popped in The Sims 2 installation cd, and...huh? it doesnt recognize the disk! i tried the same disk in the old computer, and it recognized it fine, so its not the disk. the new computer has the correct disk drive and everything, and recognizes all my other cd's, just not Sims 2. its being simist!! anyone got help for this? thanks!

(on a side note, all system specs are above minimum except the graphics card (a nvidia geforce) but it should still recognize the cd right, i mean this has nothing to do with it)
Advertisement
#2 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 11:01 PM Last edited by iggy : 21st Feb 2005 at 11:16 PM.
Make sure you have turned off any drive image software....like nero etc. Lots of games dont like them running in background.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 11:10 PM
This reminds me that in the old day, some cd-roms would not recognize all CDs ... like Sony's CD-ROM

If turning off drive simulation software does not work, take out the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM from your old PC and install it into your new PC. :p

Do it when all else fails of course. :D
Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 11:24 PM
yep, i have this problem, cept my drive just clicks and clicks and clicks and if i just leave the disc in it will finally start up.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 11:28 PM
Sound's like a Autorun issue!.

I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die,So let me live my life the way I want to!.-J.Hendrix
Forum Resident
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 5:29 AM
Autorun is disable on my system. :p
It is better that way ...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 11:17 PM
i dont think its an autorun issue, as much as it just doesnt know the cd is there. exploring the D drive shows no cd is inserted. i tried putting it in my DVD drive and it clicked anc clicked and wouldnt let me open the drive again.

i suppose getting the old drive into it to install Sims 2 would be easy enough, but the old one's in almost constant use by other people (this one is all mine.) its something i might try though.

ill try leaving it in there for a while, maybe im just not patient enough (though i waited 2-3 minutes and thats abmornally long)

or...ill just play it on the old comp when its free...sigh

for additional information the drives are

Memorex 52x32x52x

CREATIVE DVD-ROM 16x
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 11:22 PM
How about any other CD that requires installing? Is it just this CD? Maybe you can try installing another game and see if the CD-rom will recognize it or autorun it.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 11:30 PM
Do you have the DVD version or CD version? The symptoms you describe would happen if you bought the DVD version of the game and your first computer happened to have a DVD drive, but the second one only has a CD/CDR/CDRW
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 12:08 AM
its the DVD version, but it doesnt work in the DVD drive either. it wont open again and generally locks the comp up. i only tried that once though so its worth another shot.

ive successfully installed other games, auto-ran and all
Forum Resident
#11 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 12:15 AM
My experience w/ creative's CD-ROM is rather bad ....

Too slow to detect CDs, too loud, too unstable, and problematic to recognize some CDs.

I don't know if its DVD-ROM is the same.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 1:05 AM
omg i have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I recently upgraded memory (i added 512MB!) to play sims on my computer since my dad is tired of me playing it on his. anyways, it wouldn't start, so i put run then the disk drive d:\autorun and it started on my other computer, but it says "Please insert a disk" So my dad has to add a DVD-ROM drive to my puter too!
Test Subject
#13 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 1:55 AM
I have this problem... well, sometimes. Often it works just fine, but occasionally it will throw a hissy fit and decide it doesn't recognise the CD after all.

When this happens, I take the CD out, wipe it and put it back in. If it still doesn't work, I restart the computer with the disc still in and, without ever removing the CD, run the game from the icon instead.

The strange thing is, even without removing the CD, if I try to run the game from the shortcut before restarting the computer, it still doesn't want to find it.
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 2:22 AM
that happend to me today! i just took the CD out and put it back in and it worked
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 2:25 AM
yea but what i mean is that i haven't even INSTALLED it yet! i can't... it won't read it...

"Ociffer, I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 2:26 AM
and i have the DVD edition too.