Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 9:31 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Reading Crash Logs
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the possibility of me analyzing my crash logs to figure out what is going on with my game. Is this something that can be done? Could I look at crash logs to figure out if it's a mod/hack crashing my game or a general computer issue or something else?

I know about removing all cc and then if it's cc causing it using the 50-50 method, and of course know that's the best way to figure it out. I have already temporarily removed all of my hair and clothing cc and all recently added hacks, and this did stop the crashing I was having when I went to change a sim's hair or buy new clothes. The problem is, the other type of crash I experience is not consistent in timing. It can happen right when I start playing or 1-2 hours in, but it's been happening nearly every play session. It's extremely hard to motivate myself to play a test hood that I don't care about for over two hours just to make sure it won't crash. And I don't want to remove all of my hacks in my actual hood because some of them are what makes playing the hood fun. All of the hacks that are left in have been in my game for months though and have not caused problems before now. The frequent crashing only started this month.

This leads me to wonder if I can figure anything out by analyzing the crash logs. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 11:03 PM
You might want to post some crash logs under spoilers since I doubt anyone can help without one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 11:13 PM
Without actually seeing the log, I can't tell you much.

However, one tip: If you see an ACCESS_VIOLATION, it likely means the game just ran out of memory to work with - when it tries to grab more, it crashes instead. If you have a 64-bit system, apply the 4GB Patch to your latest EP/SP and it'll let the game grab more memory.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 1:15 PM
Oddly, after running the new Origin update that removes Securom from the UC, my game has not crashed at all. I had already removed it earlier this month, but maybe something else about the update made the game easier to run on Windows 10? Of course, it's been less than a day, so if I do get another crash I'll post the log here.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 4:57 PM
@Jojoa777
Since you already know about removing your cc and doing the 50-50 method I guess I won't recommend that you do that.
What I will recommend though: be willing to do what you need to do to fix YOUR game, no matter how frustrating and time consuming it can be. We're more than willing to help people figure out what's going on BUT we're not mind readers. (Or game readers in this case, lol.) So it's kind of unfair to come here and tell us what's happening in your game while being unwilling to do the hard part. Even if the error/crash log did help you find cc that's causing a problem, deleting that cc won't guarantee that your game is fixed.

So if your game does start crashing again, please be willing to do your part to fix it whether you're motivated to do it or not.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
@Jojoa777
Since you already know about removing your cc and doing the 50-50 method I guess I won't recommend that you do that.
What I will recommend though: be willing to do what you need to do to fix YOUR game, no matter how frustrating and time consuming it can be. We're more than willing to help people figure out what's going on BUT we're not mind readers. (Or game readers in this case, lol.) So it's kind of unfair to come here and tell us what's happening in your game while being unwilling to do the hard part. Even if the error/crash log did help you find cc that's causing a problem, deleting that cc won't guarantee that your game is fixed.

So if your game does start crashing again, please be willing to do your part to fix it whether you're motivated to do it or not.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive or shift work on to someone else. That's why I originally asked for advice on how to read crash logs, so I could do that part myself.

My only problem with testing in a completely cc free game is how long do I have to play to be sure that it isn't going to crash? Considering that with cc in it can take 2 hours, possibly more, before it crashes. How long and how many play sessions with no cc do I need to have before I can conclusively blame the cc for the crashing? And yes, I'll admit it's not the most fun to play a test hood I don't care about, but I would do it if I knew that playing for two hours straight with no crashes would indicate that it was definitely a cc problem. Given the inconsistency of the crashes, I don't know if that would prove it or not though. Maybe by virtue of it being a test hood and not my actual one I would be doing less things to put the game through the stresses that contribute to the crashing.

I guess then I'll ask if anyone has advice on testing the game, and if you follow a checklist of things to do or just try to play normally. Hopefully it's not necessary if the crashes have stopped, but I won't be able to determine that until I have more time to play this weekend.