Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 5:48 PM Last edited by jezzfrompleasantview : 19th Jan 2018 at 6:20 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [SOLVED]:Origin deinstalled my game and I can't reinstall it
I played Sims 2 some days ago, I have the ultimate collection from origin. Yesterday I used my computer but did not play and saw that origin is installing an update. When I started the computer today the Sims 2 Icon vanished from my desktop. I still clicked on it and it said that sims2.exe or however it's called could not be found. I opened origin and the game still was there but it said it's not installed anymore. I tried to reinstall it but it just keeps saying "preparing the download" or whatever and then suddenly it quits.

I then found the exe file in my backups folder but when I click on this one it just shows me an english error message (and my computer language is set to german) about directX not being compatible or something. I'll attach a picture (next to the firefox logo is were sims 2 was before now it's that empty paper thing).

And now...should I ask the origin support or does anyone here know what to do?

CPU: 3.70 GHz
RAM: 8,00 GB (7,19 GB usable)
Disc Drive: 24x CD Rom/ DVD Drive
HDD: 843 GB free
Video/Sound: DirectX 11 compatible
Videocard: Radeon HD 8370D
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 5:54 PM
Try right-clicking on the Icon in Origin and choose Repair.

When Origin updated your game it will have rewritten everything - wiped out all your saves I think and CC. Any game tweaks you made will also be gone. If you added a graphic rules edit or file, it will have been changed and might need replacing. That might explain the DirectX message.

If you have CC and game saves, I'd check and see if the files are still there before you do any of this and put them somewhere safe.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Try right-clicking on the Icon in Origin and choose Repair [...]

I can't find that option. I think I used it before but now when I right-click it just says "Install. Show game details. Add to favorites."
Test Subject
#4 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 7:20 PM
mine updated and where my sims 2 ultimate collection was, its now just sims 2 and now sims 2 ultimate collection is there too. theres 2 separate ones and they wont open, and neither will origin. ive restarted my laptop 3 times wtf
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 7:39 PM
I'm currently writing the origin support maybe I'll find help
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 8:20 PM
Please note that: any update/repair from Origin does not wipe out CC or saved games. You may have to reinstall your graphic rules if you need those and perhaps download a new copy of the CEP.

Seems to me that the pc has dropped the drivers. If the OP has Windows 10, just restart the pc. If not, restart the pc anyway first. Origin may work then too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 8:58 PM
I already restarted the computer. Nothing.
The I reinstalled origin. Nothing.
Then I contacted the support and after some time I finally had the option to repair the game. It started, everything was there, then I closed it to answer the support guy.
When I tried to start it again, same problem. This time also an error message at origin.
I wrote the support a second time and they suggested different things (didn't work), then told me that my case is very complicated and they will answer me in a few days.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm gonna try some other things and see if EA can do anything for me.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 9:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I hope they can sort it for you.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Please note that: any update/repair from Origin does not wipe out CC or saved games. You may have to reinstall your graphic rules if you need those and perhaps download a new copy of the CEP.

OK good to know that - I don't have the UC installed so have no experience. What a cock up though and, personally, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could spit them.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Test Subject
#10 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 3:40 PM
I've played UC for years and today all my sims and my houses were gone, and the game was in a default state as if it has just been installed. It asked me to enable/disable custom content and introduced neighborhoods etc. Yesterday everything was normal and now this.

I tried to repair the game and do just about everything and I also got that error message about Directx9 a few times. I went to support chat and only advise I had was that I should delete Origin cache, which didn't work of course. And now I can't play Sims 2 UC offline anymore, I have to be logged in to Origin. I tried to update, nothing changed. All my precious families are gone. I removed and reinstalled the game, nothing. If anyone has any clue or gets any information about this, please share your information.

This thing is connected to the update which was released a few days ago, that much I know.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 5:16 PM
I would think keep on complaining to Origin - it they buggered something up in any update, they should fix it.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 2:39 AM
i think this has to do with the update removing secuROM. I got this same exact message when I manually removed secuROM from my laptop and tried playing it. Though I'm not entirely sure if the cause of my problem is the same as yours, what I did was play with a no cd exe (Note: I own the game on origin and I also own physical copies of the game and I do not condone piracy) and after that I replaced the sims 2.exe file thats located in the TSBin with the no cd crack. The problem was fixed after I did that. Again I am not sure if this will solve your problem but it seems but of our issues arrived after removing securom )which happened when you did that origin update)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 7:32 AM
Mad Poster
#14 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 11:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jezzfrompleasantview
I can't find that option. I think I used it before but now when I right-click it just says "Install. Show game details. Add to favorites."

That option no longer seems to be available. I couldn't find it the last couple of times I tried, and Origin would not answer the two emails I sent them regarding this. I tried chatting about it with them, but the chat box wouldn't take my typing.

I was able to launch my game, though, so my problem was different.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#15 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 1:23 PM
You won't be able to repair the game if Origin thinks it's not installed.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 6:41 PM
mIne is installed. Still can't repair it. My problem was from playing with simpe, a program my computer despises. I finally played with it so much, my game became really glitchy, and I couldn't fix it. So, I thought I would repair it, but there was no option to do so. I finally just took all the files out, made the game create new ones, and burned my copy of simpe, figuratively, of course. Otherwise, I would have had to burn the computer.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Test Subject
#17 Old 7th Nov 2017 at 8:20 AM
So having seen this I backed up my CC, udpated my Origin client, and then allowed it to update my Sims 2 game. It seems to run fine, even after adding my CC back. The only difference I notice is it now requires I be logged into Origin to play (much as it does other games). Which, I presume, is the point of that lovely little 'update'.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 10:23 AM
I'm back with an update:
So, origin wasn't very helpful, first they requested some stupid things like running the game as an administrator or in compability mode (excuse me, I can't even start them game at all!) which just lead to more error messages. Then told me to reinstall origin and then contact them again. I then finally found the repair option (My games library - Sims 2 - details - settings - repair. I sometimes have that option and sometimes not). I repaired the game three or four times and then I could finally start it. The exe.file also reappeared after playing the game. I also can't play it offline anymore but at least it works now.
Origin later messaged me that they wanted to know more about the case or something but when I replied nobody knew what I was talking about. I don't really know what the error was and how I suddenly could be solved again but as I said, it works now and origin doesn't care about it
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 4:55 PM
I think repair only turns up as an option if there's a problem

Mad Poster
#20 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 6:48 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 11th Nov 2017 at 6:51 PM. Reason: Add something
I have checked it a number of times now - the repair option is always there.