Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 5:25 AM
Default So... Wait, What Is College Anyway?
So I know this is random (And Probably dumb...), but... What the heck is college anyway? I'm a homeschooler (Don't hate! We are people just like you! ) and my parents honestly are a little over protective so they never ever told me about the ins and outs of college... I'm kind of young to think about this stuff I guess but I feel like everyone in the world thinks I'm the perfect aspect of "stupid". More that anything I want to prove I can do something... I want to prove that I can succeed and not just to everyone but myself, I know I have no brains, and honestly I'm afraid of people. (That's why i'm home schooled e.e) But I want this so badly!
Is it wrong to want to try so hard for this goal? I want to do well.. I want to be able to tell my grandchildren that I might be stupid, but I GOT that diploma! I want to help others, I want to feel like I can exist in society without physically embarrassing myself or others.... Is that so wrong?

Sorry about ranting, I guess that got a little off topic, My real question I guess is what is college like? Are the classes super hard? What college did you go to (Or want to go to?) I want to know everything! What are the dorms like? Do you always have to share a room, or is that just always in those lame movies... Are the teachers nice and helpful or are they out to murder you for your soul? Is it anything like highschool? Are the people complete idiots (like me? xD), Oh.. And if this helps at all, I want to Major in Art (anything to do with art I would be happy with... I want to learn as much as I can :D), I'm thinking about Virginia State University... (But I don't know if I could get in... D: ) Anyway, I want the entire tour! Tell me about your college life, Please?!

Also... FUUUUUUUUDGE YOU SAT TEST (I might have to go to a community college... Not that there is anything wrong with that, Its just more limited... I hope I do well, I just wanted some advice )

Good health to everyone ♥ I hope you all have nice days ahead!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 9:42 AM
I don't understand what could be debated on this subject. Posted in the wrong category.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rawra
I don't understand what could be debated on this subject. Posted in the wrong category.

No.. You can easily debate what college is... I can delete it if you wish though, But I don't see how ANY topic can "Not" be debated...
Scholar
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emmyzrulz
No.. You can easily debate what college is... I can delete it if you wish though, But I don't see how ANY topic can "Not" be debated...

There are no opposing sides. There is no controversy. It isn't a thought, a philosophy, an idea, a solution. This is a factual thing that clearly exists. What do you want us to debate? Whether college exists or not? Whether it was hard? It's different for literally every person who takes it so how are supposed to define in detail what four years of somebody's life is supposed to be like? People take different classes, go to different universities, meet different people. There's nothing to debate here, there's no argument or issue.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
There are no opposing sides. There is no controversy. It isn't a thought, a philosophy, an idea, a solution. This is a factual thing that clearly exists. What do you want us to debate? Whether college exists or not? Whether it was hard? It's different for literally every person who takes it so how are supposed to define in detail what four years of somebody's life is supposed to be like? People take different classes, go to different universities, meet different people. There's nothing to debate here, there's no argument or issue.

I always had heard debates are of people who have differant points of view and place them into the metaphorical pot, the both of them debate weather or not that point is logical in any term... It seems we are debating about a debate though, So that's at the leased something. Haha, How would I delete this thread then? Sorry, I just wanted people to put out there college experiences so I could get some tips, I guess this was the wrong thread.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 4:00 PM
College does not exist. It's all a vast conspiracy by the programmers of the secret virtual reality that we live in.
Scholar
#7 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
College does not exist. It's all a vast conspiracy by the programmers of the secret virtual reality that we live in.

That's not even debating college. Broadly, the existence of life itself. Talk about composition fallacy.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 4:24 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Jul 2014 at 4:34 PM.
How about debating pros and cons of college, or share a bit of college life experience with the OP?

I've been in public school most of my school time, and it has its ups and downs. Most kids are in public schools around here, and the schools generally have a good (if perhaps not perfect) standard. My mom is the overprotective kind, but she did let me move away from home for high school, and I'm so glad for it! I mostly hated elementary and middle school, but high school was awesome (I did art).

College (here we don't call it college - different school systems and all of that), and higher education in general is about learning what you need to do to get a job that requires educaton beyond high school. You'll often have to work together with other people on projects and school subjects, but you're also more free in what you want to study. There are probably ways to get higher educations via homeschooling (web courses and the like), but I'm not sure how well those work. If you want a good job when you get older, doing a bit of college can be smart. You'll learn how to work together with other people, and how to be more independent. If you're unsure of what you want to do when you grow up, doing college can be smart. You can test out a few subjects and see what you like or don't like, or you can learn some new skills. If you know what you want to work with, getting a degree in it can be smart. You'll usually get higher pay and more job offers.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 4:30 PM
No need to delete the thread, it just probably needs to get shifted into the Off-Topic Discussion room.

You'll no doubt get lots of different answers from lots of different people, and hopefully it can help you figure things out! Lots of similarities, lots of differences, lots of different approaches to the same problem... it can be confusing! I wish I'd thought to talk to more people about what to expect before I started college... it probably could have gone a LOT better those first few semesters! Still, most of those people who say that college was the best time of their life aren't lying- once you figure it out some, it can be fantastic! (this coming from someone who hated the idea of starting college, FYI)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
#10 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 6:38 PM
I always had heard debates are of people who have differant points of view and place them into the metaphorical pot, the both of them debate weather or not that point is logical in any term... It seems we are debating about a debate though, So that's at the leased something. Haha, How would I delete this thread then? Sorry, I just wanted people to put out there college experiences so I could get some tips, I guess this was the wrong thread.

This is why you should go to college, to learn the things you should have learned in Middle School before you try to engage in arguments with adults.
Alchemist
#11 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 6:53 PM
College is fucked up.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#12 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 9:24 PM
I always had heard debates are of people who have differant points of view and place them into the metaphorical pot

place them into the metaphorical pot

metaphorical pot

pot

The only good description of my college experience.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
#13 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 9:42 PM
I'm just debating on whether or not I should go to college. My mom went back to school and she said the classes were hard. Loads of homework.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 11:08 PM
College means you'll have to study a on your own a lot, so there will be homework. And tests. And exams. And times when you want to do anything but studying, but is stuck with your books and an assignment due the next day. If you want an education, there are not a lot of choices. There will be times when you don't understand anything, and there will be times when you already know things but have to sit through classes anyway. College isn't elementary school, so some classes will be hard.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 11:25 PM
Did you post this in debate? if so a mod moved it to off topic discussion, because that is what it is.

I think (as a homeschooling mother lol) that your goal to go to college is great! I homeschool my own two children for their learning difficulties and I can only wish they or at least my oldest would have any kind of desire to do better. College can be done so many ways and at any age these days, so I don't think it's something you can place in a box. I was talking to a friend the other day and high school came up and she told me a very old friend-very old as in 90 years old, is graduating high school. So firstly why do you want to get a college degree? Just to have one? What job would you like? Have you graduated highschool? If not, I think that should be your first goal. There are various certificates you can take as a mature age student as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#16 Old 3rd Jul 2014 at 11:56 PM
I went to Reaseheath College, and I loved it. The lessons were hard, and there were lots of assignments and assessments, but I was very keen on the subject, so I worked hard. Everyone who lived in had to either share a room, or live in a tiny room on their own, where you just had enough room to walk round the bed. The teachers were really nice, it was less formal than high school and you called them by their first names. College was much more fun than high school, and the people were a lot nicer. Everyone there wants to be there, and is really interested in their chosen subject, so working hard isn't frowned upon like it is in high school. Obviously there were some idiots, you get them everywhere, but generally there was a friendly atmosphere, everyone was like one big family. College gave me my confidence back after high school had stripped it away. I would definitely recommend it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 10:12 AM
OK - wading in. I don't usually mention specific stuff about my job much around here because often people get put off by it - so those of you reading this need to forget the contents of what I say as soon as you leave the thread. I'm a college lecturer (well, actually university - colleges here are slightly different things). Maybe I can offer you a little guidance. These are my comments and opinion emmyzrulz, based on what little I have seen of your abilities here:

Points in your favour: You have the desire to learn; you want to achieve something; you can write coherent English (with only a few errors of spelling and grammar); you are willing to debate and offer points even though you are not too clear about what a debate is.

What you will need: the ability and commitment to work hard, sometimes very hard; to be open-minded; also to enjoy what you are doing.

Points against you: none.

See - you'll be fine. Really. Go for it. I've seen many students with a lot less to offer (based on that very small example of what you can do) than you do well. What distinguishes them is the determination to get through and the discipline to do it. Education is not about being really clever (though that obviously helps, especially at the top end) it's about learning. Don't worry about the errors in your English too much, don't worry about the bit about the debate. The point of education is to learn, and you will. No-one like me expects people like you to know everything. What we want from you is to turn up to lectures/seminars/classes, show us your work, tell us stuff when you need to and be able to learn. You want that degree/diploma? Go get it. Attagirl. And good luck.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 3:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Did you post this in debate? if so a mod moved it to off topic discussion, because that is what it is.

I think (as a homeschooling mother lol) that your goal to go to college is great! I homeschool my own two children for their learning difficulties and I can only wish they or at least my oldest would have any kind of desire to do better. College can be done so many ways and at any age these days, so I don't think it's something you can place in a box. I was talking to a friend the other day and high school came up and she told me a very old friend-very old as in 90 years old, is graduating high school. So firstly why do you want to get a college degree? Just to have one? What job would you like? Have you graduated highschool? If not, I think that should be your first goal. There are various certificates you can take as a mature age student as well.

I know it sounds stupid but I want a degree to prove to myself I can exist in this world without hating myself, I'm not a person who loves myself or thinks highly of myself in anyway, I always mess things up, If I get a degree then I could prove to myself that I'm not worthless trash (Not to be a downer with the entire hate myself thing, I'm not like "I should end my life because I suck" Or anything so don't worry xD)
The thing Is that I have a differance with your two (adorable sounding) children, my mom when I told her acted like I had told her just a simple thing that didn't matter... So I feel like I have no support, I want so badly to feel like I belong with people. I guess that just makes me more stupid, But if thats stupidity then so be it. I want to make myself a human being worthy of myself, If that makes any sense? xD
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 3:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
OK - wading in. I don't usually mention specific stuff about my job much around here because often people get put off by it - so those of you reading this need to forget the contents of what I say as soon as you leave the thread. I'm a college lecturer (well, actually university - colleges here are slightly different things). Maybe I can offer you a little guidance. These are my comments and opinion emmyzrulz, based on what little I have seen of your abilities here:

Points in your favour: You have the desire to learn; you want to achieve something; you can write coherent English (with only a few errors of spelling and grammar); you are willing to debate and offer points even though you are not too clear about what a debate is.

What you will need: the ability and commitment to work hard, sometimes very hard; to be open-minded; also to enjoy what you are doing.

Points against you: none.

See - you'll be fine. Really. Go for it. I've seen many students with a lot less to offer (based on that very small example of what you can do) than you do well. What distinguishes them is the determination to get through and the discipline to do it. Education is not about being really clever (though that obviously helps, especially at the top end) it's about learning. Don't worry about the errors in your English too much, don't worry about the bit about the debate. The point of education is to learn, and you will. No-one like me expects people like you to know everything. What we want from you is to turn up to lectures/seminars/classes, show us your work, tell us stuff when you need to and be able to learn. You want that degree/diploma? Go get it. Attagirl. And good luck.

You are such a kindhearted person, and what you have told me means more to me then perhaps you could ever fully understand! I want to do well and I know this sounds over dramatic but now I want to do well because I have you to prove right. If I failed then that would turn bad on my part, and I would also be disrespecting what you just told me, so I'm going to work extra hard! Okay? That way I can make you and everyone who has been so kind to me worthy of saying such nice things. Thank you so much Senpai! ^^ I do hope you have a good day, and I hope I can make you proud! (And I will! )
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
I went to Reaseheath College, and I loved it. The lessons were hard, and there were lots of assignments and assessments, but I was very keen on the subject, so I worked hard. Everyone who lived in had to either share a room, or live in a tiny room on their own, where you just had enough room to walk round the bed. The teachers were really nice, it was less formal than high school and you called them by their first names. College was much more fun than high school, and the people were a lot nicer. Everyone there wants to be there, and is really interested in their chosen subject, so working hard isn't frowned upon like it is in high school. Obviously there were some idiots, you get them everywhere, but generally there was a friendly atmosphere, everyone was like one big family. College gave me my confidence back after high school had stripped it away. I would definitely recommend it.

I have absolutely no confidence in myself! I take what others say and I make myself have confidence because I know that I have allot of people hoping I do well, so I make myself do well for my own sake and there's. I want to thank you! I might even look into that college! xD
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 3:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
No need to delete the thread, it just probably needs to get shifted into the Off-Topic Discussion room.

You'll no doubt get lots of different answers from lots of different people, and hopefully it can help you figure things out! Lots of similarities, lots of differences, lots of different approaches to the same problem... it can be confusing! I wish I'd thought to talk to more people about what to expect before I started college... it probably could have gone a LOT better those first few semesters! Still, most of those people who say that college was the best time of their life aren't lying- once you figure it out some, it can be fantastic! (this coming from someone who hated the idea of starting college, FYI)

I hated the idea also, but for some reason the idea seems right now... I don't know why, but I do know I won't fail ^^
Mad Poster
#22 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 6:31 AM
I hated the idea also, but for some reason the idea seems right now... I don't know why, but I do know I won't fail ^^

Good! Having come so close to failing myself ("failing" meaning "not even going and trying in the first place") I'm very happy to see people who are determined to push through that situation! And even with my overwhelmingly pessimistic attitude about... everything, really, I ended up being very happy with (most of) my college life! Take advantage of things!
(If you'll indulge me a quick TS2 reference) If you're a "knowledge aspiration" type of person, the benefits of college are pretty obvious... but for "fortune aspiration," I actually landed my highest paying job thus far in my life with my uni department. For Family or Pleasure or Popularity, go check out things beyond just your classes and your dorm/apartment/house/whatever- my favorite memories of college life are mostly from my involvement with the Model UN club on campus- the other students there became some of my best friends and my college family (and still are!)! For Romance... well, that's up to you, isn't it? And as far as aspiring to a life of Grilled Cheese goes... well, I don't know many people who'd judge you for such an odd diet while you're in college, so get it in while you can!

Seriously though- college can be awesome if you let it be- so let it be! And good luck!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
#23 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 10:22 AM
Go to college. Education never made anyone worse.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 2:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Good! Having come so close to failing myself ("failing" meaning "not even going and trying in the first place") I'm very happy to see people who are determined to push through that situation! And even with my overwhelmingly pessimistic attitude about... everything, really, I ended up being very happy with (most of) my college life! Take advantage of things!
(If you'll indulge me a quick TS2 reference) If you're a "knowledge aspiration" type of person, the benefits of college are pretty obvious... but for "fortune aspiration," I actually landed my highest paying job thus far in my life with my uni department. For Family or Pleasure or Popularity, go check out things beyond just your classes and your dorm/apartment/house/whatever- my favorite memories of college life are mostly from my involvement with the Model UN club on campus- the other students there became some of my best friends and my college family (and still are!)! For Romance... well, that's up to you, isn't it? And as far as aspiring to a life of Grilled Cheese goes... well, I don't know many people who'd judge you for such an odd diet while you're in college, so get it in while you can!

Seriously though- college can be awesome if you let it be- so let it be! And good luck!

Thank you so much! I don't want to go for romance or friendship (Although... It is magic.. Trollolloll) Or anything like that, I want to go to learn and better myself, I would like to be a graphic designer possibly for Disney or some other place. Graphic disign I could do now, but I could not do higher company's because of my lack of experience and knowledge. I don't know if I would be happy in a college, But I do know if i'm not I will stick it out, (Everyone in my life calls me "mean" or a "jerk" sometimes going as far as saying they hate me, doing this at least once a month. So I doubt I'l make any friends or anything... At least I know I should probably not join the debate club, huh? xD) as far as cheese sandwich diet, I am lactose-intolerant It's a good thing I know how to cook though, A rare site nowadays. Speaking of cooking I have a second dream of opening my own cafe, If I had graphic designing I could make the menu's and outer design so much easier! ^^ Anyway thanks so much to everyone for there advice and helpful Idea's :'D
Mad Poster
#25 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 3:13 AM
In the first place, for all those discussing whither this was a proper topic to debate; this IS NOT the debate thread, it's the Discussion thread..duh.
That said; homeschoolers are to be commended (usually) and if you're homeschooled you have a lot of advantages. But you probably have a disadvantage as far as college; College (like public school, and the job world) are about telling the teacher what they want to hear. In other words, they have opinions and facts that may be debatable, or plain WRONG, but when they ask a question on a test, or you write an essay or term paper, they will judge you on whither you know "the truth"..i.e. THEIR truth. Generally, college requires you to already know how to take notes, study, memorize, make inferences, and write well. The better you are at organizing, memorizing, and using English, the better you will do.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Page 1 of 2