Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 10:06 AM
Default Fishing Inspect Water List
When my fishing sim inspects water a short list (5-8-ish) of available fish appears, even though species not shown on list can be caught. On screenshots from other players I see much longer lists (20-ish). I have LN and UNI EP's.

Does the longer inspection list require an EP that I don't have or is there some mod available for this?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 12:06 PM
I think you get more from ponds you stock yourself.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 7:28 PM
Or a modded custom spawner that gives all fish types in one spawner?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
Or a modded custom spawner that gives all fish types in one spawner?

I don't know if that would make selective fishing more effective, I am quite happy with the way the spawners work. My origininal question only relates to the layout of the inspect water list. I want it longer.

The cause of my grievance is that in the town of Brooklyn Heights, where I am currently playing, the amount of fish spawners is huge (> 100). That may be a good thing in that fishing spots do not easily get exhausted, but when you hardly see the ocean for all the fish it is a bit of a hassle. A trawler could be helpful though.
#5 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 12:38 AM
I'm not entirely sure whether I really understand you but I think that what you see is working as intended. When you inspect a fishing spot the number of fish species it gives you is exactly what this spot will yield. Not more and not less.

As regards exhaustion, a proper spawner will exhaust after some 5 or 6 fish caught, and will refresh after a while. If you're level 10 or have the Angler trait then you might be able to catch some more before the spawner changes from "great" to "decent".

You probably mean a message like this?

I'm pretty sure that this is not from clicking on a spawner but from clicking some random spot of the ocean or lake. The message says "decent" so it's not a spawner spot and simply means that there is some random chance of catching one of these fish if any at all.
When you click on a spawner, on the other hand, the maximum number of available fish types is much lower, but the chances to actually catch some is much higher.

ETA: I just checked the site where the picture is from. It's a message from a manually stocked pond.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 12:51 AM
After clicking on the open ocean outside the spawners I still cannot see the long list of fish.
#7 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 8:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by luftspeiler
After clicking on the open ocean outside the spawners I still cannot see the long list of fish.
Have you seen my edit? The picture is from a manually stocked pond, as AsaButler already suspected in their post.

The point is, there's no way or even need to increase the message window's layout because it will always show the exact number of fish types available.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 5:02 PM
Well then, thanks Don Babilon for clarifying. Since closely related I will pose a few additional questions. Of course I could test this out myself, but I am too lazy not to take advantage of the experience from this site. No use of spawners is associated to my questions below.

Can I stock a pool (or fountain) with fish?
If so, will this pool (or fountain) function as a pond, allowing fishing with bait?
Can I stock a pond on a community lot, and
Does my active sim need to own the lot to do so?
Can I build a basement below a pond?
If a residential lot with a pond is evacuated (and copied to library), will the stocked fish remain?
Site Helper
#9 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 6:13 PM
No, A pool or a fountain cannot be stocked with fish. (Well, you could do it with a fountain if you make it using the Water tool in build mode and then add fountain bits and use appropriate terrain paints in it and one of the smaller fences for a border. I think you can even add floor tiles if you have the bottom of the pond level enough. ) Note: "fountain bits"= large geyser, small dome, etc. and not the arcs and things which won't let you attach them directly to a pond. Although if you get creative they might still work...

You can't put a basement under a pond without changing the terrain above the basement enough to have at least portions of the pond go away. This does not necessarily remove the spawners for the stocked fish, though. It should; it usually does; but you could end up with fish happily swimming through the yard. (Although that only happened to me once.)

I remember having stocked community ponds, but I think I had my sim owning the lot when I did so. I may also have had a mod allowing it.

It used to be that if a lot with any spawners, including stocked fish, was copied to the library, the spawners would be kept. They would also duplicate themselves if the lot was rotated, eventually causing quite a bit of lag. This was apparently fixed by not having spawners copy to the library. (You can get around this by adding a chest and putting 10 of each kind of fish you want to stock into the chest. Then when you add the lot into the game, you can have a sim pull the fish out of the chest and stock the pond again.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
You can get around this by adding a chest and putting 10 of each kind of fish you want to stock into the chest. Then when you add the lot into the game, you can have a sim pull the fish out of the chest and stock the pond again.

That was a great idea. I may want to try that one out.

About basements: I like to have several basements on lots I create, in order to maximize space on a minimal area. When satisfied I place a multitude of this lot into the game. Now, will this scenario work:

Dedicate one quadrant of the (totally flat) lot to become a a pond
Create basement 1 in L-shape (bypassing the pond-quadrant)
Create basement 2 rectangular below basement 1, as large as possible, also beneath the pond-quad

Should I build the pond before or after the basements? I do not like to use CFE or move objects.
#11 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 8:07 PM
I think you will have to make the pond first and then work from there downwards, adding a basement under the pond only on the second basement floor. Unless your pond is deeper than two basements; then you'd have to go three floors down.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
I think you will have to make the pond first and then work from there downwards, adding a basement under the pond only on the second basement floor. Unless your pond is deeper than two basements; then you'd have to go three floors down.

Yes, I have started building a residence in exactly that way. 40x30 lot, 14x7 pond, 3 swift-gro stations, 3 large basements, 4 smaller floors above ground and one 7-floor elevator (which I have checked is working). Will likely become a paradise for a contemporary angler/green thumb.