Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 7:20 PM
I never played with mods in The Sims 2, other than default eyes and skin. With the Sims 3, however, mods are essential. When I play while waiting for mods to be updated to the new patch, I realize just how badly coded and empty the Sims 3 really is. At least, in my opinion. The Sims 4 may be cool enough on it's own to not need mods, but with the coding errors of Sims 3, I remain wary. Hopefully the new producer and team(s?) are better at catching bugs and what not. The first thing I'd really want to reduce/remove is that environment bloom. Not my thing.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#77 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
I think you underestimate the speed at which consoles and mobile devices are improving. It is outpacing the old desktop PC.

Xbox One and PS4 both have 8-core processors and 8GB of RAM. GPUs are somewhere around the PC equivalent of an AMD HD 7870. More than capable hardware.
Mobile devices are still a bit behind, but every year their capabilities increase exponentially. It's not unusual to find tablets and phones these days with 2GB of RAM and quad core processors.

Thankfully, PC gaming is not dead yet and we're definitely getting Sims 4, but I wouldn't completely discount the possibility that Sims 5 and beyond may be console/mobile exclusive and unmoddable as a result.

Maybe. I keep thinking that with all the tablets, etc. the one thing where desktops are advantageous is that when you want/need to upgrade for your shiny new game, you don't need to buy a whole computer/tablet, you just get some more RAM, or a new graphics card, etc.
For someone who is somewhat budget-conscious, that is a huge plus. Also, while I am starting to imagine people using tablets as their gaming devices to play on their TV's, I think that would require much larger hard drives on those tablets and last time I checked, they're far from there yet.
Also, it seems odd to me to build a house or design a sim from your sofa instead at a desk. And using the tablet screen is just too small. So you still might need an extra monitor. Apart from probably killing the graphics chip in the tablet eventually (do they have those?)
Mad Poster
#78 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster
Considering how tenacious the modding community can be, I really doubt it's possible to make Sims entirely mod-free

This seems relevant

Your link didn't have anything SIM, but some interesting animal sex stuff.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Test Subject
#79 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 11:08 PM
If the Sims 4 is exactly like it is in the EA trailer/commercial/video (whatever it's called), then we will really need mods for better hairstyles. If EA won't allow mods, I'm sticking to the Sims 3. But EA wouldn't do that, because their primary goal is not making our lives miserable, but making as much money as possible. And not allowing mods will lose them a lot of customers.
Scholar
#80 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 11:17 PM
It better not be.
Instructor
#81 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Actually, HPG, I remember them saying it would be single-player and offline, only activating once.

This is not what I remember at all. I remember a very carefully worded statement that the Sims 4 would not require "a persistant online connection."

Then a bunch of gamers concluded that this meant that the Sims 4 wquld be a single player offline game. Where did these gamers get that information: they pulled it right out of their collective asses. They were confusing their own fantasy reality with what EA really wants to do.

With EA, you have to read every word very carefully. They are not forthright and honest. You cannot read more into anything they say, than what they say.

For example, they say they are going to add hot air balloons to the game. This does not mean that the balloons will fly anywhere. They sell a greenhouse; but that does not mean their greenhouse will keep the elements out.
Theorist
#82 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
This is not what I remember at all. I remember a very carefully worded statement that the Sims 4 would not require "a persistant online connection."

Then a bunch of gamers concluded that this meant that the Sims 4 wquld be a single player offline game. Where did these gamers get that information: they pulled it right out of their collective asses. They were confusing their own fantasy reality with what EA really wants to do.

With EA, you have to read every word very carefully. They are not forthright and honest. You cannot read more into anything they say, than what they say.

For example, they say they are going to add hot air balloons to the game. This does not mean that the balloons will fly anywhere. They sell a greenhouse; but that does not mean their greenhouse will keep the elements out.

Now they are saying you'll just need a connection only once and only to activate the game.
Top Secret Researcher
#83 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 11:27 PM
Quote:
You cannot read more into anything they say, than what they say.

Good luck with that. This is the internet. People will always interpret things.
Scholar
#84 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 11:27 PM
I don't want to activate the game! No WAY!
Instructor
#85 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
Now they are saying you'll just need a connection only once and only to activate the game.

But that still does not mean that it will be an offline single player game. Again, you are reading more into what they say than what they have actually said.

Until they say that it is a single player offline game, you cannot assume that it is.

What I am thinking they will do is offer a very simple dumbed down version of the game which can be plalyed offline. But then, trickeroo, if you want to play the full featured games with all of the nifty stuff, then you have to go online.

So far they have been keeping very mum about what the game really is. Do you think they would be this way if they were not planning to do something really sneaky?

How many times have they misled us in the past? And why should we trust them not to mislead us in the future? How many times does someone have to lie to you before you stop listening to them?

Yes, I know hope springs eternal. But any good con man knows how to play on the fantasies and desires of their mark.
Forum Resident
#86 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 12:15 AM
Quote:
Until they say that it is a single player offline game, you cannot assume that it is.
Their initial press release said exactly that. We laughed at them, since that's basically all it said and we were thinking about their SimCity experience.
Quote:
The Sims 4 celebrates the heart and soul of the Sims themselves, giving players a deeper connection with the most expressive, surprising and charming Sims ever in this single-player offline experience.

Quote:
What I am thinking they will do is offer a very simple dumbed down version of the game which can be plalyed offline. But then, trickeroo, if you want to play the full featured games with all of the nifty stuff, then you have to go online.
I tend to agree. That technically you don't won't have to have an internet connection to play (after activation), but the game will be designed with online play and social as a major/core component, so that offline play will be severely lacking.
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 1:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Your link didn't have anything SIM, but some interesting animal sex stuff.

I think the link was referencing the Sims 2 grill your baby mod but you had to go to page two to see it. Although I found the Skyrim detailed horse vagina mod much more disturbing.
Page 4 of 4