Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 5:23 AM
Default It is so hard for me to play The Sims
I was just wondering if the games are really getting this boring or if I'm on some different things now. I mean, I can play it for a few hours, but I don't really enjoy it. I spend so much time making Sims, but when is time to actually play it, I get really bored and annoyed. It goes for all The Sims games, but The Sims 4 is the worst. It's sad and frustrating because I've always loved the games, I play it since I was, like, 7 years old. Does anyone feel the same? Can you guys give me tips to make the games more enjoyable? Thanks. And I'm sorry if there is grammatical errors, English is not my native language.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 6:21 AM
If you regularly use cheats, refrain from using them and pretend they don't exist, the other day I was 6K too short to pay my bills, without power and water, I might as well go to the Jungle and try my luck, my goal was to get 6K+ to pay the bills, this took me over 3 hours of gameplay and 3 sims days of exploring, I had to cut a day short once because too many of my needs were in red, but the next sim day, for the first time I got to the end of the temple, strange I only got 4k from it all (unlucky i guess), still 2k short but those Archaeology Tables helped me getting more values for my finds.

The mission took a lot longer than I expected but i found it fun, even though I was expecting more money, but now my sim is back home Exhausted but with power and water, and wiser too from those new jungle skills he learned on the way.. (and happy too!)
Instructor
#3 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 10:28 AM
True, using cheats can take some of the fun out of the game. But either way, TS4 is still boring to begin with.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 10:36 AM
Definitely try to stray away from cheats unless it's just to help set up a new situation. What kept TS4 fun for me for the longest time was sticking to one family and with mods just having them inbreed each other because I could. It was interesting to have a, uh, "pure" family--for lack of a better word--and keeping them in all one overstuffed, computer-borking lot.

Eventually though, it got unplayable. I'm talking 70-80 sims in a single house combined with an alienware piece of shit that will crash for no reason, so over time it got too annoying to fight with it just to get INTO the game, and once I got in people would stand around for hours and I'd have to constantly cheat everyone's needs or else deal with random puddles popping up everywhere. It wouldn't have been so bad if I let them age and die properly but after the first three died I got too attached and just couldn't let anyone go, so it got bad, real bad.

I tried splitting them up into different houses around the neighborhood but then the initial charm of having everyone in the same lot at once wasn't there and it just fell flat, plus with them split up it's impossible to keep track of everyone's age so I dunno who came first and what not.

It was definitely fun for a while though and I must have cleared like 4 or 5 different generations, which was a first for me in any of the sims games. Occasionally I'll boot the game up and try different things but nothing was as good as the inbred legacy stuff.

still a great game though. could be better but i'll always be a fan, even if i hated it at first

smash that disagree button fam, red's my favorite color
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 11:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nomi
I spend so much time making Sims, but when is time to actually play it

You do not have to play the way we do. If you love playing in CAS, why not dressing up your sims and showing them off to other simmers? I have seen many simblrs who are just doing that, taking CAS portraits and lookbooks. Some CAS players also make and share sims, or volunteer to test out cc for free early sneak peek too and promote new cc, which has really positive impact on the community as a whole. There are many pieces of accessories and clothing that look glorious in CAS because they are high poly but I am afraid they would overheat my pc if I put it on my sims for longterm gameplay but that would be no problem for CAS players, so I guess you kinda have that advantage there.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Apr 2018 at 1:35 PM
Mods, challenges.

What specifically makes you bored? In what scenario are you playing? Go into full detail.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 2nd Apr 2018 at 4:54 AM
While building homes and certain other lots is interesting I tend to loose interest in actual game play unless I have a challenge or a story line in mind that offers more in depth strategic thinking. However, I do enjoy a challenge and keeping the game interesting is a challenge in itself. Keeping it interesting requires one to think and to look deeper. One thing I have learned to do is to focus on and pay attention to how Sims interact with and react to one another.
Instructor
#8 Old 2nd Apr 2018 at 9:33 AM
You could try to play a challenge or just take a break from it. Try out some other games or hobbies. It'll be easier to find out whether you don't like playing Sims anymore or if you just need some time away from it.

And yeah I understand, lately I haven't been playing much with the Sims themselves, but I'm enjoying building and decorating. You can find a houseplan online and make it and try to make community lots too. At times, I check out huge houses and convert the bedroom into hotel rooms. It's fun to take a houseplan and turn it into something else.
Instructor
#9 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 4:34 PM
Am struggling with the Sims 4, I've gone back to playing Sims 3 at the moment and really enjoying it. Don't get me wrong I think Sims 4 is better in certain ways. I wish that Sims 4 had built onto Sims 3 and made it better. I like Sims 3 Open World but I could live without it. If they had made Sims 4 Neighbourhood's bigger would of been better. I don't mind the loading screens as it's better than Sims 3 Lag but it's just the size of the map in Sims 4. I also wish that they had create a world in Sims 4 as some of the best world's in Sims 3 are made by modders. The only world I like in Sims 4 is Winderburg.

I just get so bored of Sims 4, I can't even be bothered to decorate half the time as I miss CAST to much and gameplay is fun for a day or two (when something new launches) and then just becomes boring. I hate emotions so much just think it's pointless. I do like in Sims 4 how they can multi-task so am not saying it's all out bad but it's just got no real substance to it.

Am playing the Sims 3 with barely any mods and still enjoying it, Maxis own stuff in Sims 3 was actually nice and with CAST you could kinda make whatever you wanted anyway. Sims 4 is unplayable without Mods.

My advice is try some challenges as other's have said (only thing that makes me play Sims 4). I always try and make legacies on Sims 4 but never get past 3rd generation as get so bored. Sims 3 I done 10 generations and on the 11th was still happy to keep playing the family.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 5:30 PM
I find it hard to stay interested too. I'm a realistic family/rotational player of integrated hoods (all things that mean absolutely nothing on this form since you can't do any of it with TS4.)

I do find though, that I keep play 4 mainly because of two reasons: the toddlers are the cutest little munchkins ever, and: you CAN do SOME things in TS4 that you can't in 2 (my first and only true sims love), but honestly, the shine even wears off of things like laundry and deleting sims. I don't build in 4 because I feel like it's a waste of time since I can't place lots where I want them, and there's barely enough to house one generation let alone more than that. I don't usually have my sims work off -lot either since most of the careers make no sense, pay too much, and aren't even remotely realistic when there's no uni. I mostly edit the townies, and let them all try for babies when they feel like it so that I can get cute toddlers to play. That's more or less it.

My advice is to maybe do a baby challenge: toddlers are super cute, and you can play them all for a bit and then grow them up?
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 9:00 PM
Sometimes you have to go play something else for a while, and then your simming mood comes back. (I'm off to Crusader Kings 2 again. Because not only is the DLC on sale this week, the base game is *free*.)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 12:21 AM
I seem to play 4 only when something new comes out I want. I play a bit then go right back to 3.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 7:17 AM
Also would help to set yourself a goal you wanna achieve with the household your playing. Like have any motivation for why you wanna create a new family? Perhaps you need a new major in town or some sort of future child inherent something or become someone? Need to establish a vet clinic and run it, but don't have the right sim?

Perhaps try something new? Read some challenges! Bored or tried out all the game mechanics? Plot down a fun-interesting-dynamic mod in your downloads folder.

Or you might need to come to the term and accept the fact you no longer have interest in games, which is a hard choice to take. Take a break, maybe the passion will return... maybe it won't and you'll have to move on. I can't imagine and for the best that doesn't happen to me.... especially too soon. The Obvious tip I can give you is to just enjoy you games that you like and don't force yourself to play those that you do not enjoy. Perhaps it's time to try out a new one? Or a very old you haven't played in ages for a quite a while. If you only enjoy creating sims, so beat it! Keep on creating them, as somebody suggested: why not show them to us? There's no right or wrong to play it. I know quite a few simmers in your position where they do nothing more than use the house-building aspect of the game.

That's all I advise I can think of and give you. Might fill it more this post when editing after something of a thought pops up in my head.
Space Pony
#14 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 11:34 AM
What I try and do is find awesome photography opportunities and share them here. I also like to occasionally torture Sims. Try building homes you have been to or take ideas from Pinterest. A hobby of mine is creating celebrities, I hae made like 30+ and it's really fun. That's just me though. Or you can just give extreme clashing traits to roomies and watch the drama unfold via autonomy.

Dag-Dag