Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 4:44 PM
Default No CASt?
Has there been any official word on this? It seems strange that they would choose not to include it this time.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 4:53 PM
It was in a magazine. So far, we've pretty seen presets, nothing inductive of prints, fabrics or wood tone being alternated. It's all very flat.

I've seen a about 3 or 4 patterns, but I think it's on an object basis, not overall.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
One Minute Ninja'd
#3 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:01 AM
Losing CAST would make no sense. What would be gained? Slightly faster ingame renders? It's not like they design their game engines for efficiency. Take a giant step back to TS2 days, where you had to find and keep track of 5 different recolors of a couch? No way that's going to happen. The CAST system is simple and reasonably efficient, so long as you don't try to color coordinate your entire 5 bedroom house around the shade of fur on your little dog. Then it's tedious and obsessive, but hey, it's your game, so knock yourself out.

Like the open neighborhood model, CAST will remain in 4. As bad as they might be, EA can't possibly make that kind of backwards misstep.
Test Subject
#4 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:10 AM
Along with the open neighborhood, CAST is one of the main features why I even bother playing TS3 despite its terrible loading times and general bugginess. Ditching it would pretty much be a dealbreaker for me - might as well just play The Sims 2. I mean come on, I'm no programmer but there has to be a way to make objects load quickly (or at least quicker than in TS3), still be recolorable and not bork up the entire game in the process.
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:19 AM
Pretty sure the game isn't finished yet, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions about CaST.

I pretty much agree with Agnes though... it or something with equivalent functionality had better be in there
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:28 AM
The scan from a German magazine I saw confirms this.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this linking to another thread right, so, in case this doesn't work, it's post #2493 in "Things I've seen/heard about the Sims 4"

And yes, I'm a German native speaker in case people are wondering if it's a translation problem. It's not. It's very clear.

Link to things I've seen

Of course, I don't actually know the name of the magazine, the scans don't show anything.
Test Subject
#7 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:28 AM
Srikandi, I think that the jumping to conclusions is based on that German magazine article that (according to someone...) explicitly stated that CASt won't be included in the game. This sounds a bit weird to me though. What's the point of telling the public which features that are cut out this early in the marketing process? Seems unneccessary and counter-productive (they want us to focus on the things that actually will be included after all).
Field Researcher
#8 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:30 AM
I don't think they would really be so stupid as to remove it, it would be a dealbreaker for me and would put serious limits on my creativity. I spend most of my time designing interiors, and at least 95% of what I place down on a lot is going to go through CASt. Everything gets recoloured from the floors to the couches down to the plant pots. It's the only way to create really unique and cohesive lots.
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:40 AM
Do what you want with the open world, with the sims themselves, but don't take away CASt. I'm a virgo and someone in EA headquarters will die if they take this precious perfectionist dream tool away from me.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 3:32 AM
Maybe since it's only in that one magazine, it's EA's way of sticking a toe in the water? Finding out what the reaction would be to no CASt without committing themselves on a broader stage? If enough people complain about it being missing, it will be in the game, and if people don't focus on it, it will be left out? Entirely speculation, of course, but most of what's being posted about S4 is at this point. I can't imagine going back to an S2 recolor system again, CASt was the feature that really sold me on S3. An S4 without it will have to include some pretty amazing features to get me to even consider purchasing it.
Alchemist
#11 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:01 AM
I hope you're right, anifromid2. I know the game isn't finished, but wow... grey & black decor at Gamescom is supposed to be getting someone enthusiastic? Not me!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 12:04 PM
Now we've heard that do not currently have CASt, but are debating on whether or not to include it in the base game. Seriously, it should be in the base game. But if they don't have time to manage that, it better at least be free in a patch instead of something we have to pay for.
Theorist
#13 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
As bad as they might be, EA can't possibly make that kind of backwards misstep.

Yeah, that would be unthinkably bad, like not including retai.....Oh, oh, I see.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 1:32 PM
SimsVIP twitter confirms no CASt for CAS as of now. They say discussion is ongoing whether to include it in the basegame, or not. I'm not sure what that means for buy/build mode. I don't think I could play this game if buy/build modes didn't include CASt.

http://simsvip.com/2013/08/18/live-...ip-at-gamescom/
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
Do what you want with the open world, with the sims themselves, but don't take away CASt. I'm a virgo and someone in EA headquarters will die if they take this precious perfectionist dream tool away from me.

I really have looked into what a zodiac sign does to affect life so being a virgo and a perfectionist does describe and explain why I do things the way I do. Thank you very much for your post. Now I know why I can't do without CASt. I just can't do it.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 12:51 AM
Definitely a deal breaker for me if it's not included. I absolutely will not buy it.
Alchemist
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 12:57 AM
Well, they're still continuing with the about-face from multiplayer where it used to be headed, to the 'proper' way, so there's still hope that they will put it back. They are being talked to about it at Gamescom from the tweets I've read, so keep your fingers crossed.
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 1:27 AM
If they eliminate CAST to keep the "optional, online" experience in the game, I'll be quite happy with playing 3 and not worrying about generally useless patches screwing up my stable mod collection.

Amazing how they realized they screwed up with the online shit, but won't make the effort to make sure the single player experience is at least as good as, if not better, than what came before. I'm really not liking the lipstick they're trying to put on this pig at all. Between SC, and this .......thing, it looks like the golden days of Simming are a winding down. Glad everything I have was bought on physical media, so I can keep playing even after the official "support", or lack thereof, is eliminated by EA for 3 in favor of pushing 4.
Alchemist
#19 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Glad everything I have was bought on physical media, so I can keep playing even after the official "support", or lack thereof, is eliminated by EA for 3 in favor of pushing 4.

Oh, yes. Very much, yes. I hate the trend away from physical copies. *shudder*
Test Subject
#20 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 12:12 PM Last edited by chellekat7 : 22nd Aug 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Petition to add CAST to TS4 on the official forum: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9673279.page
Mad Poster
#21 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 2:26 PM
That's the funny think about petitions... just because you make one, that doesn't mean it'll work.

That would mean they'd be scrapping together an entire tool before release (less than a year), and it may not even get done. If fans approve of that, I worry.

Field Researcher
#22 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 2:47 PM
If we don't get CASt, then I hope we get something very similar.

vanilla-breyers.tumblr.com
Theorist
#23 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:38 PM
What does no CAST mean exactly? Do we lose the ability to recolor, lose the ability to apply patterns/textures, or both?

I use CAST all the time when planning outfits. I would be disappointed with the inability to apply patterns/textures, but an inability to recolor, that would almost be a deal killer for me.
Come to think of it, I use it all the time when building houses too.

If there is no ability to recolor, that would make me worry that they've gone back to pre-colored textures, where the color of the object is actually on the texture image itself (like TS2). If that's the case, I personally wouldn't expect it to be added with an expansion later on because it'd require extensive changes to the game engine.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:56 PM
No cast means we devolve back to what the Sims 2 was. If we can't mod the game, we'd have to reply on recolors for over stylized objects.

Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
If there is no ability to recolor, that would make me worry that they've gone back to pre-colored textures, where the color of the object is actually on the texture image itself (like TS2). If that's the case, I personally wouldn't expect it to be added with an expansion later on because it'd require extensive changes to the game engine.

Ooo, that is scary and so outdated. I guess the only option would be some sort of tool that would allow us to easily recolor items and merge them into smaller packages. Would EA do that for us? I am not holding my breath.
Page 1 of 3