Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:16 PM
Default The price!
Just went to see how much The Sims 4 is to preorder and I almost choked on my ice-cream. £55.00? No way, I'll be waiting until it's been released and the price drops. Ridiculous.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:24 PM
Hm, the price doesn't actually bother me. I was actually expecting more.

Most new games cost 50-70 dollars.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:38 PM
At current conversion rates that is equivalent to 85 US Dollars... Expensive.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:39 PM
Yeah but the OP's point is that's pounds = £55. That's $85-90 (at current exchange rates).

edit: curse you leefish for ninja'ing me.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:46 PM
Given their track record with releasing bugged out games (and their inability to fix most of them), there is no way I would pay the price they are asking. Eventually it will go on sale.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Instructor
#6 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:48 PM
Is that for the super special collector's edition? I saw that one listed on Amazon for about $90 (dollars) which is about the OP's price range.

[EDIT] Oops, it was listed at 99 euros... guess that's a lot.

http://www.amazon.de/Die-Sims-Colle...f_se_p_t_1_KW15

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Redhead Creations
Is that for the super special collector's edition?

I saw this on origin http://goo.gl/8liUgJ (I shortened the url) seems to be the only one I can find to preorder.

I agree ~MadameButterfly~ I just don't see the point in paying so much for a game that I'm 90% sure will have a ginormous bug in it to start.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 5:38 PM
i'm more worried how they will include DLC this time.. will everything be in-game? will items only be sold seperately? what about worlds? expansions? premium content? i just know they've got something dirty up their sleeve..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tinewashere
i'm more worried how they will include DLC this time.. will everything be in-game? will items only be sold seperately? what about worlds? expansions? premium content? i just know they've got something dirty up their sleeve..

Hey first of all, frankenweenie!!

I'm wondering about this too, seems like everything with The Sims 4 is all very hush hush. Or maybe it's my lack of research. Every time I go on TS3 website all I get is an error page.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 5:57 PM
I hope you all are joking. Like I hope this is a massive joke, and absolutely no one is serious

What sort of justification do they have in charging $80-90 for a PC game!? I don't believe this for a second, must be a mistake
Instructor
#11 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 6:00 PM
I don't think it's *that* expensive
Alchemist
#12 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 7:53 PM
For that price I'd expect the Sims 4 base game to include pets, weather, all musical instruments, cars, dating, new life stages and all objects that have ever appeared in other base games (e.g. piano, hot tub). If we have to wait for EPs to add things that should have already been in the base game, there's no reason to charge that much. Considering how often EPs come out, it's almost like paying for a subscription every 3 months (for those who actually purchase every single EP that comes out).

Even Netflix subscriptions don't cost that much.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 7:55 PM
I cringe at the thought of spending even £30 on a PC game. So I'll be waiting until the price drops for sure.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 8:10 PM
Which means that the EPs could end up costing $50, what with this ten-dollar rise in price. And imagine SPs for $30? The Sims 1 and 2 had base games for $50, EPs for $30, and SPs for $20. The Sims 3 had the base game for $50 but raised the price for EPs to $40 and left the SPs as $20. Now, with The Sims 4 having a base game for $60, I would not be shocked if EPs were to cost $50. Let's put it this way... gone are the days when EPs were only $30. So, I'm sure the EPs will at least be $40 each. That's a minimum of $100 by the time EP 1 is released. And this isn't even including anything from the Store.
Alchemist
#15 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 9:41 PM
You'd think the content and quality would increase with the price...
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 11:29 PM
I can barely afford to buy new expansion packs that come out in the Sims 3, but I just about gagged down the price for Sims 4. It is going to be a super long time before I actually own it myself.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
You'd think the content and quality would increase with the price...

Oh, the FUNNY man! As noted, IF the game were actually well made and innovative, the price would be OK by me. But it won't be. Besides, the style is a cartoony, and mods to create the realistic thinks I want (even if possible) will look out of place.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 1:16 AM
I can't wait to know the prices for expansion packs, stuff packs, downloadable neighborhoods, inividual objects, clothes, hairs, cars, and whatever new side-product they invent to be sold separately.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 8:36 AM
I don't care about the price as long as the game look good...... but then they add in those goofy face pulling poses.....it's actually putting me off.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:10 AM
In Australia, it's $88 for the limited edition from EB Games, $98 for the premium edition and $129 for the collector's edition. I recall paying in the $88-$98 range for TS2 bonus edition and TS3 regular edition respectively, so the pricing seems pretty on par. I'm just grateful EA has retained the $88 option. However, the price of the collector's edition seems a little wacky - $30 extra for a plumb-bob shaped USB, anyone?
Instructor
#21 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:12 AM
Actually, I figure that the price of a Sims game is between $1,000 and $2,000. When you start adding up the costs of the EPs, SPs, store content, items from pay sites, etc., it really is quite expensive for a game.

It's why I want to see if the Sims 4 is going to be good enough to justify this cost.

EA just takes out money in little bites, because they know most people would balk at shelling out $1,000 up front. But you have to figure that the initial expense is trivial compared to what the game will really cost.
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
Even Netflix subscriptions don't cost that much.

If EA could get away with turning the Sims into a monthly subscription game where almost everything is entirely online and stored in the "cloud" so they can more easily control how it is all used, then I'm sure that they would.
Scholar
#23 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:25 AM
This is madness! Madness it tell you! For the love of God, don't buy it!
EA will realise the prize is insane and will drop it, if no one buys it.
Pure greedyness
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:25 AM
It's a question of comparing the value ones gets from a product with its price tag. It's really a very personal question: is it worth it?

With the Sims 2 EPs, I never doubted that they were worth they price. If I compared their fun value with a night out with friends, a good book, a DVD, etc, they were a different type of entertainment but certainly worth it. Stuff packs were a different story and I stopped buying them after a while.

For the Sims 3, I lost that feeling of good value/price. Prices went up compared to TS2, but also over time, while the content got thinner and dumbed down and lost its quality. I've seen an increasing discrepancy between the high price tag and the low value. After a (long) while the gap was so big that I stopped buying. It's just not worth it anymore. Maybe at half price, later.

TS4 prices are really high for a base game whose quality is far from obvious at this point. They look like the original prices for SimCity 2013, and that was a complete ripoff.

@Original_Sim: You're very right, with 3 EPs and 2 SP per year, and the constant stream of Store stuff, the franchise certainly feels like an awfully expensive subscription based hobby now.

Quote: Originally posted by Nick-the-Greek
This is madness! Madness it tell you! For the love of God, don't buy it!
EA will realize the prize is insane and will drop it, if no one buys it.
Pure greediness
This is what happened with SC2013, the price dropped quite fast and it's a bit of a slap to the early adopters/"fans". At least it's still how I feel about it, since I was gullible enough to buy it on release.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 9:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Harmz2361
Just went to see how much The Sims 4 is to preorder and I almost choked on my ice-cream. £55.00? No way, I'll be waiting until it's been released and the price drops. Ridiculous.

Holy moley! That is expensive, until very recently I have noticed that the sims 3 base game cost £30 from game and smithy's toy super store (they sell sims games along with other games which are not totally child friendly) now the price has finally dropped on that down £20 or less. This insane pricing, even for EA! If the base game cost this much then how much will the expansions and stuff packs be?

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Page 1 of 3