Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 5:26 AM
Default Survey: Are expansion packs overused?
I thought I'd create a little questionnaire for anyone interested in sharing their thoughts on how they'd like expansion packs to be dealt with in the Sims 4. I figured it might be better to speak up about it now while the base game is still being worked on. If we wait until the game's release, it may be too late.

1. Should a Sims base game require EPs to feel complete?

2. Which of these feels "complete" without EPs?
  • The Sims
  • The Sims 2
  • The Sims 3

3. Are EPs released too often or not often enough?

4. How do you feel about the number of EPs that come out in a Sims game's lifetime?
  • Too many
  • Not enough

5. What are your favorite EPs? Why?

6. What EPs do you find redundant? Why?

7. What items or features do you consider EP material?

8. What items or features do you not consider EP material?

9. How do you think EPs will be handled in the Sims 4?

10. How do you want EPs to be handled in the Sims 4?
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 5:53 AM
Personally, I like EPs. When I get bored of playing the game a certain way, an EP comes along that gives me more ways to play it. It adds considerably to the playable time of the game for me.

I think of the sims as functioning like an MMO, with regular content patches which continuously add challenges and keep it fresh. And with the subscription price of a typical subscription-based MMO at $15/mo, that comes out to about the same price (or more) than buying EPs and SPs as they come out.

I've liked all the TS2 and 3 EPs I've played except TS3 Showtime (annoying), and TS2 OFB (micromanagey). But I'm ok with having some EPs that appeal to other people but not to me

I kinda prefer the original TS2 rate of one EP per six months... more rapid rate we've had lately means that for me I never get to try all the new gameplay before the next one comes out, which leaves me feeling irritable However, it has meant I've pretty much stopped buying SPs, which saves me money

I will say that IMO certain features work better in the base game than in EPs, because then every EP can make use of those features and expand on them. The obvious one would be weather But I'd also include swimming and beach stuff.
Inventor
#3 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 6:01 AM
They all do, as do most games that have EPs. Not requiring EPs to feel complete would mean not having EPs at all.

• The Sims
  • The Sims 2
  • The Sims 3
None of them.

It depends on whether you're talking to me as a storyteller or me as a gamer. As a storyteller, I think they're released too often (I still don't run UL or IP on my storyline game). As a gamer, though, I think it's just about right.

4. How do you feel about the number of EPs that come out in a Sims game's lifetime?
  • Too many
  • Not enough
Too many, as long as you count the Stuff Packs and the first two EPs for TS1.

Sims 3 Supernatural. I have always liked playing supernaturals and being able to make them in CAS is a big deal to me.

All of the Stuff Packs. I also think that the first two EPs for Sims 1 (Livin Large and House Party) fall into the "redundant" category. There's nothing in those boxes that modders can't do better.

I think that if getting a feature right will delay the launch of the game significantly, it might be EP material. Pets and Seasons (both the TS2 and TS3 versions) are perfect examples.

If something's being held back from the base game even though it's ready, that's not EP material. That's just greed.

The same way they're handled in TS3.

They should get rid of the Stuff Packs entirely and put the time spent on them into more or better Expansion Packs.

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Theorist
#4 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 6:24 AM
OK, I'll bite.

My idea of a complete base game has to include - CAS, CASt, basic weather (rain/snow/sun - not to be confused with seasons where there are certain traditions and holidays attached to them), all age groups, laundry, gardening, a better education system (primary, middle, high school, college/university - the RH kind), a wide variety of jobs/careers - full time and part time, and an open neighbourhood.

The Sims
The Sims 2
The Sims 3

I never played The Sims so I can only address The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. IMHO, I don't think TS2 or TS3 felt "complete" without EP's, I think that's why it's called the Base Game.

To me it doesn't really make a difference if EP's are released too often or not since I usually buy EP's on launch day (barring a bill or two). The only thing I struggle with is when 2 or more games are launched within a week to a month of each other and I need to pick and choose which one to buy first.

Too many
Not enough

Both. In one sense, you get EP's that can be standalones and shine on their own. On the other hand you get EP's that should have been released in one pack as opposed to 2 - like Late Night and ShowTime... IMHO, these 2 should have been released as 1 EP. Others may disagree but hey that's just my opinion. ~~shrugs~~ In the end, you can never have enough because as a life simulation, EA can keep adding stuff to the game and really make it life-like. Of course if that happens, then each sim series would be 10 years long as opposed to the 5 year life cycle that it's had with all 3 iterations. Having said that, 30 EP's would probably blow up my computer so giving the game 5 years and 8 - 10 EP's is about right

The Sims 3 Seasons because it gave us weather. It also gave us activities and holidays related to said weather.
The Sims 3 Ambitions because it gave us self-employment and laundry.

Stuff Packs. Silly to have that and items/sets being sold in the Store. I don't usually buy SP's because there's usually 1 or 2 items in the whole pack that I want. I actually prefer buying something from the store if it looks halfway decent. More times than not, I prefer 3rd party CC since the textures and quality is so much better than what is offered at the store or in an SP.

Anything new that gives our sims things to do and enriches the game. Houseboats, water craft in general, vacation destinations.

Harvestables, new recipes, build items, deco/clutter (because you can never have enough clutter). As a builder, you can't have enough options in build mode so giving us more is a good thing

Hopefully better than the last 2 iterations - again I never played TS1 so I don't know how they rolled out the EP's. But having said that, in all likelihood, it will be rolled out the same as TS2 and TS3.

Again, hopefully better than the last 2 iterations. I'd like to see the EP's not just tie into the base game but also tie into each EP that gets released so we have continuity and hopefully don't experience too many breakdowns because one thing or another is conflicting because of an item or an interaction from a previous EP. If that's even feasible - but as above, they'll probably roll it out the same old way they've been doing it.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 6:30 AM
Whether we want EPs or not they are a given, profits for the gaming company and content we have been salivating for. I don't think there should be as many The Sims 3 had. That was redundant and stupid.
The Sims
The Sims 2
The Sims 3

I didn't understand the concept when I started playing The Sims. I was advised to get The Sims and I bought it after House Party (I think), so I never played the base of that game. I thought the EPs were the standard and because I really enjoyed playing, I bought everything that came out. Even the PS version. I didn't like the console.

I enjoyed the base game of TS2 and was excited for University, thought it added a nice spin to the game. I was still enthralled in having generations of game play with TS2 and every EP brought another new excitement that would leave me at every midnight release, standing in the rain, snow, windstorm to get it. Also doing anything extra on the job to get off a half hour early so I can get a good spot in line. (man, I was out of my mind) I thought the EPs completed the game.

I really loved playing TS3 base game and had all types of expectations of what that game could have since we had the open world. I kept hoping that each EP would add some of the base game interactions that was in TS2 and more family interactions. Prayed that a EP would let the babies have legs. Each release left me deflated, but my love for the game kept me hoping. After 11 EPs that were redundant and not compatible with each other, I was tired. The modders have been the saving force for TS3, at least for my style of playing. I really loved having CASt and the build mode keep me busy. Right now I am tired and worn out. I have no energy to go through another series of hoping and praying for the simple game play that made me love the game so much.

The Sims 3 really was abusive and not thought out. I hope that EA will not be like that with Sims 4.

Too many
Not enough

Too many, way too many.

Since I was new to PC gaming, Sims being my first love and I enjoyed all of it. It was really exciting and people at work along with me was glued to the game. Daily discussion everyday and it was so cute how the big, burly truck drivers would get sad because one of their sims died, or they lost a challenge in Magic Town. I got the best tips from them.

TS2 wow'd me with Night Life. To me it was the most used and abused objects and building assets in my TS2 game. Downtown was where most of my sims lived. Bon Voyage would have stayed a favorite if EA hadn't introduced SecuRom in the game. Once I learned how to clean it off my computer, I reinstalled it from directions at MATY to keep that DRM off my PC.

TS3 had a few good EPs. I loved Ambitions for the self-employed jobs, Late Night because of nightclub capabilities, Generations for family interactions, Supernatural for the added fun of supernaturals, IP was my most favorite of it all. Even though some interactions were not new, the way it was introduced and implemented was new and innovative.

In TS3, Late Night, Showtime, and the part of Supernatural with the vampires. Too many of all 3 could have been combined and thought out better. WA and IP could have worked better together with the resorts and having the diving combined with tomb raiding as being adventures for the Adventurous Sim. That would require Seasons being released first.

What items or features do you consider EP material?

Supernatural beings, Pets, Celebrityism, All the weather phases could be considered EPs so that players that don't want it in the game don't have to buy those EPs and not bother with it. Or if the store wanted to be successful, they could have kept up with selling sets of popular objects that came in EPs without players having to get the EPs and be bothered with the main points of a particular EP. For example, if someone didn't want Generations but was able to get the strollers, spiral stairs, etc. in a popular pack then it could sell out. The store did something like that for a few items, and I thought it was a good idea, but for some reason they didn't want to continue doing something like that. The store team keep selling the good objects in a world and not allow for separate purchase, which is not smart to me. Also, there were some good ideas that came with the store worlds, but should have been sold as an EP object, like the toddler bathing station and baby monitor.

Generations was a waste and I think that should have been part of the base or combined with an innovative EP that would serve players that want to play legacy style. I loved having Generations, but consider that one as a way to milk players. Some of the seasons components like swimming in the ocean would have served better in the base game, so when WA, IP and other water activities were introduced, it would be more compatible and not having restrictions from each world. Such as dive lots and such. University could have been a base game component too, there should have been formal education for the more professional jobs from the start and not as far down the line. It was OK to do with TS2 because the opportunity came for a certain age group that haven't started working yet but I overlooked how some sims were already working in a profession that would require a degree. TS3 had the open world and wasted a great opportunity with not having formal education in the base game. Would have been more useful.

I combined these questions because right now I have no idea how the world is set up and how basic the start of the Sims 4 will be right now. I don't want them pushing out EPs like it's on an assembly line and be very thoughtful, idealistic, and innovative with the ideas of new game play in the EPs. Same old stuff the 4th time around is getting stale with me.

Whew! Felt like I wrote an essay. Tl;dr. :P

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 6:37 AM

NO.

• The Sims
  • The Sims 2
  • The Sims 3

all 3.

I like them the way they are.

• Too many
  • Not enough

Just right. Maybe a little bit more would be nice.

seasons, supernatural, pets, Island paradise, Into the future (it looks very nice)

none, there all nice...

Major additions to the game Pertaining to a specific theme.

CASt. That should be in the FREAKIN' base game!!

raging at EA aside, Core game functionality that is all part of a specific broad theme.
Something that expands on, not adds core functionality to. extensions, not core mechanics. (CASt is a core mechanic, for example). Such core mechanics that are included to make an EP be more complete, should be included in a patch, as they have been in TS3

same as TS3.

same.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 8:05 AM
I just wish all the EPs would come out the same time or shortly after the basegame so we could buy them as and when we were ready, then settle down.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#8 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 8:34 AM

Yes, of course. The base game is merely the starting engine.

The Sims
The Sims 2
The Sims 3

I only played The Sims 3 so I cannot tell about the other two series. For The Sims 3, it depends on what is "complete". For me, it is already satisfactory since I bought my first EP before I've actually played all features.

It depends on the redundance of the EP themes. For example, Showtime and Katy Perry Stuff came out at similar times, which I think is redudant. The frequency doesn't really matter.

Too many
Not enough

Of course, I want more and more and more content. That would make it "not enough". But in the aspect of general gameplay and taking care of the small bits of improvements, it is sufficient.

Ambitions for its career options and small gameplay features that enhance the game.
Pets because of adding Horses as it is not seen in TS2.

Stuff Packs. They should be put into the related EPs. I personally find that there is a pattern. For example, Showtimes goes with Katy Perry. They are separated so it ends up that both are not bought. And they don't really add much, I think.

Store objects. I think some should be included in EPs.

I think all EPs in TS3 actually introduce sufficient features in each of them.

Store objects. items related to EPs already available. Like the surf station and Island Paradise. Duh.
Basic weather (cloudy, sunny, rainy). I can accept that they only cause moodlets but not other aspects like watering plants. But I cannot accpet that they don't exist at all.

I don't think I will switch to TS4. So I don't really care. I think it's going to be similar to past series.

As above. I don't care.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 11:55 AM
Not really, no. I should be able to play the base game for several weeks without thinking "right, I'm done, I need more now." EPs should add to the game, yes, but it shouldn't feel empty without them.

The Sims
The Sims 2
The Sims 3
I can't really answer this. With TS1, I was so excited when EPs started coming out because I had been getting a bit bored of the base game. I didn't start playing TS2 until Apartment Life had come out, so I was immediately able to install the base, University and Nightlife. I never played the base on it's own. I haven't played TS3, so I can't answer for that.

I can't answer for TS2 or TS3, but back when I was buying them for TS1, two a year seemed just right. I've just looked at the numbers for TS2 and TS3, and TS2 was about the same, while TS3 has increased to three a year, and both of those series also had stuff packs in the mix as well. That seems excessive to me. I can't imagine forking that much money out for Sims that often. I can't fork that much money out for Sims that often!

Too many
Not enough
10 or less sounds about right to me. I would've like one more for TS1 and TS2 each. 11 for TS3 is ever so slightly too much, IMO.

For TS1, Making Magic and Superstar. I was pretty sad we never got a Superstar-style EP for TS2. For TS2, Seasons. I live in Britain so weather is very important! Finally I didn't feel like my sims were living in a constant heatwave. I also enjoyed the various vacation EPs.

TS1, Livin' Large and House Party. Livin' Large really feels more like an SP than an EP. For TS2, I don't know if I'd call it redundant, but I found Pets to be severely lacking.

Vacations and ownable businesses.

Basic weather. I'm not talking seasons here, I can cope without snow and thunderstorms, I just want occasional rain in my base. Also basic pets. Pets for TS added so little, I felt it could've been added to the base game without too much effort. Also in-depth family interactions. I should not need an EP to make the family dynamic more interesting.

I think there will be at least three a year containing material held back from the base game and little else of substance because I'm bitter and cynical.

I want no more than two a year and I want them to add gameplay, not objects. I want the ones that are blatant repeats to be spaced out in between new stuff so I'm not left thinking "magic again? I just brought dating for a third time!" and I because deep down I know they're not going to put them in the base, I want seasons and pets out of the way as soon as possible.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 12:29 PM
The thing about EP's is that most of us would probably welcome them if they actually provided something new and exciting! TS3's EP's had some original stuff like vampires and other creatures, exploring the ocean and of course visiting the future, but other than that it was all completely predictable.
Pets, Seasons, Ambitions and University should be part of the base game by now. Or at least be available to purchase as add-ons right away. I know some people will not agree with this, but I'd rather have the opportunity to buy it right away than have to wait for years for something that I know will come sooner or later anyway.
Test Subject
#11 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 12:33 PM
Apologies if this counts as thread abuse, but I wanted to say something.

What upsets me about EP's is that it feels like with each new game we pretty much get a slightly different spin on the things we've had before with no real creativity.

For example, we've had three pets expansions already, and now we are likely to be expected to pay out again and I wouldn't be surprised to see very little differences for the Sims 4 version. I want EA to put more creativity and effort into one-upping their previous attempt and really giving people a reason to WANT the next Sims game and its take on that EP. Each EP should feel more substantial and rewarding for players.

For example, Pets should be made into "Animals" or "Wildlife". I actually envisioned this early on for the Sims 3, but obviously it never came to fruition. What if instead of Pets with a few token extras, if we went one step further and allowed for all a manner of animals and included new item/lots/careers based upon this concept. Give each town its own Zoo and allow players to build their own and even work there in a brand new career. Let animals get sick and you have to take them to the new Veterinary lot, where you can also work similar to the Medical career.

I'd actually say that additions like these might even allow for the inclusion of Cats and Dogs (and maybe even horses) in the base game.

Another example is making Holidays even more enhanced by allowing for people to choose if they want an adventure holiday to Africa or Egypt, or even a nice getaway to a coastal island or to a romantic European-themed city. I'd actually say take this one step further and make new locations based on real world places that people can buy and use like normal neighbourhoods. Want to make a Sim that lives in Egypt with all the unique jobs and lots that comes with it? Go for it! Your Sims can even still visit other locations and even the base game neighbourhood(s) for a change of pace. Make the Sims world feel huge and diverse instead of everywhere being exotic except for US-based locations. Paris isn't necessarily that exotic to a player from Europe, but Sunset Valley might be.

Throw in cruises for those that want them. Allow people to design their own huge boats and stay on them like mini-neighbourhoods. Maybe they can stop at different places in the world for short periods of time so players can enjoy a nice (but expensive!) round trip of all locations.

I think my ultimate point is, make the EP's feel exciting and fresh, not "like the last one, with a few more features!".

Also, Stuff Packs can go stuff themselves. include that stuff in EP's or just throw it into the store and give it a justifiable price tag.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 12:49 PM
Oh ,this is a good idea!

I'd say all games should feel complete on release...But in the case of Sims, the fact is, we know they are coming, wether we want it or not!
But a decently made game should provide the enjoyement of gameplay without them.

•The Sims
•The Sims 2
•The Sims 3
I do know I played sims, but not enough to make an impression...came to sims 2 later and brought with some EPs...
Sims 3...As a builder, the open world was a big thing, and it really made a big difference...But as I said, I already knew they were gonna be EPs, so it was different.

Lately, much, much too often! And that's not even counting the SPs and the new worlds with the "Superior" content...You can't even enjoy the one you just got fully before there's another knocking at the door (with the bugs included, cause testing takes time, eh! )

•Too many
•Not enough

Both: too many repeating themes, and STILL things are missing, or not done well...

Seasons was certainly a must, adds soo much to a town (and borked plenty of stuff too), and IP has been fun for me, boats and all.
But strangely, for me who's not a player but a builder, I had a lot of fun with SN, even if I said I wasn't gonna get it at first.
Also, Haven't got UNI and don't really miss it...

Showtime and Ambitions.
As I said, I'm not a player...I tried a few professions, but found it boring fast, and learned later on that they became borked with later EPs of patches,so... Strangely, Générations, wich didn't seem to add much to the game at first, turned out to be quite important for me, opening the game toward children and elders, even if only a little.

Something that will really add another faucet to the game, either in appearance or gameplay. Can be objects, venues, whatever, but it has to bring in something NEW!
Like, not the 23rd hottub and another chair.
Oh, and something that lives reasonably up to it's hype, not like some Hot Air Balloon...

A rehash of stuff we already have under a new coat of paint, incomplete sets, ugly or weird CAS items that will never get used, the usual Junk EA stuffs in so it at least looks like we've got our money Worth.
Oh, BTW, I do know we get HOURS of "enjoyement" out of them, but I don't consider bugs and failed programming as EP materials...Silly of me, I know.

Same as Sims 3, if not worse if they somehow manage to get rid of modders and CC makers completely...

Better.
I know I'm dreaming, but I'd like to see stuff wich has been develloped with something else in mind than "How much can we steal?"
Take more time, build anticipation, do a good job and churn out something that will really make some change, and for God's sake TEST IT FIRST!

Oh, and as an afterthought: I don't have anything against themed expansions, but it would be nice if they were coherent at least.
I don't play futuristic stuff. Some do, but I don't...My choice.
Then tell me why I do have to make do with the Lunar lakes trees, the Aliens in Seasons, and some boatload of weird CAS/deco stuff from Showtime?
They just clutter up my game, or I have to mod them out...Irritant.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 3:58 PM
1. I don't think a Sims game should need EP's to feel complete.

2. I don't think any of them feel complete without EP's. I find the base game too basic in general.

3. I feel that the EP's come out about the right amount of time.

4. I wouldn't have a problem with there being 20 EP's as long as they were good, so in general so far, I think the number of EP's has been okay.

5. Sims 1: Hot Date and Makin Magic. Hot date gave us a nice downtown sub-neighbourhood and some nice features for dating and general things for sims to have fun doing. Makin Magic had a really nice atmosphere to it that I really enjoyed.

Sims 2: Seasons, it added something I hadn't experience in a sims game before.

Sims 3: Seasons (because I like to have changing weather), Ambitions because I found it useful and like the different career/self-employed options.

6. I find World Adventures and Island Paradise, not redundant, but both of them could have been merged together.

7. Anything that enhances the gameplay, gives us more to do with our sims, adds variety.

8. I think basic weather shouldn't need to be saved for an EP.

9. Same as the previous games.

10. I want more bang for my buck. So I want more features added, more items, and less stuff packs.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim

No, but I'll be damned if that'll stop EA.
Quote:
  • The Sims
  • The Sims 2
  • The Sims 3

None.
Quote:
Too often, we need less EPs with more time between them.
Quote:
  • Too many
  • Not enough

Sims 1 and 2 had a half-decent amount (Though it was still around five two much for each, again, we kinda needed them)
Sims 3 will have way too much with Into the Future.
Quote:
I like the Seasons EPs, and any EPs that add robots and supernatural stuff is cool.
Quote:
Did we really need Showtime and Freetime?
Quote:
Stuff that is largely unneeded to create an quirky and accurate life simulator. So stuff like supernatural features, and additional ways to play the game.
Quote:
Seasons, pets, and stuff to do with jobs or just living life really should be in the base game.
Quote:
At least twenty, half of which will contain really redundant stuff.
Quote:
I'd prefer there to only be three or four EPs that significantly add to the gameplay.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 4:57 PM
1. it shouldn't but people want to do so many different things that they can't ALL be in the base game so it's ok for them to be in EPs so people can pick and choose.

2. neither of them feel complete, in sims 1 you can't even leave your lot if you haven't got hot date. sims 2 was probably the closest. sims 3 is the worst though, there is NOTHING to do.

3. too often considering they don't give very much content. i'd rather have one HUGE pack a year that totally changes the game than 2 "generations" and "island paradise" packs that i feel are basically just big stuff packs.

4. sims 1 and 2 had a good amount, sims 3 was way too much because only a very few of them actually expanded the game.

5. my fav EPs are the pets EPs, i just love animals and i really feel like the homes i make are more real and happy with dogs and cats. sims 1 unleashed takes the cake. nightlife, hot date and late night are completely necessary though too because i like having my sims go on dates at restaurants or bars and that. seasons SHOULD be in the base game too.

6. supernatural, island paradise, showtime, probably into the future too. they just add weird stuff that have nothing to do with simulating the life of little, weird people.

7. pets, university, business, seasons - things that require extra installation/harddrive space/specs and that really expand the games capabilities.

8. weird houseboats that are just lots in the water, boats that are just cars, going to the future(?!), things that should've been in the base game or other expansions (generations, showtime)

9. like they are now, though probably more expensive with the same rushed-out content

10. i'd rather want very few but very strong ones like in sims 1. the EPs there actually made sense and went with the theme of the basegame - SIMulation
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lisfyre
I'd like to see the EP's not just tie into the base game but also tie into each EP that gets released so we have continuity and hopefully don't experience too many breakdowns because one thing or another is conflicting because of an item or an interaction from a previous EP. If that's even feasible - but as above, they'll probably roll it out the same old way they've been doing it.

I'd guess it's not too feasible - not everyone buys all EPs and they have to work as standalones.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I'd guess it's not too feasible - not everyone buys all EPs and they have to work as standalones.

Although not complete tie-ins, they were able to incorporate certain parts of one EP into another, depending on the EPs installed, of course. In the Sims Hot Date, if you have the House Party EP installed, some downtown locations will have objects from that EP (e.g. DJ booth, mechanical bull, mini bar). If you only have Hot Date installed with the base game, those objects would be replaced with base game objects (e.g. decorative items, stereo). If you have the Livin' Large EP installed, some places would have the slot machine.

I don't know if tie-ins like that are done in the Sims 3 and its respective EPs. I'm not so sure about the Sims 2 either. Most EA-made locations seem to contain the exact same stuff no matter what EPs you have installed.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 5:52 PM
I thought I'd create a little questionnaire for anyone interested in sharing their thoughts on how they'd like expansion packs to be dealt with in the Sims 4. I figured it might be better to speak up about it now while the base game is still being worked on. If we wait until the game's release, it may be too late.

No.

• The Sims
  • The Sims 2
  • The Sims 3

I can't answer that for Sims 1 and 2 since I only got to the Sims when Sims 2 was well under way. Sims 3 was fine although I was VERY impatient for new CC.

Every 6 months seems about right.

• Too many
  • Not enough

Too many. They have redundant features that get repeated and "improved" like vampires in NL and SN, whatever-bots in AB and Into the Future. Swimming in Seasons but no sunbathing, instead we get sunbathing in IP.

One or two less for Sims3 would have been fine.

Ambitions: My sims often work a lot and now I can get to play that! Also, Ghostbusters! And laundry!
Generations: more interactions, bunkbeds and a kids' tree house as a whoohoo location.
Seasons: weather, snow, it's beautifu!

Showtime. Check out the beginning of LGR's review of it for reasons. The most redundant of them all. It has elements of Ambitions, mostly elements of NL and nothing orignal.

Specific elements that pertain to a theme. Most of them.

CAST, CAS, interactions, relationships, genetics, any kind of build and buy elements, sliding any elements up and down a wall, the bloody dive board, careers, even with a bit of interactivity.
Actually, I want laundry in the base game. When I saw it I thought, wow, what a terrible waste of time! Now I can't live without it. It's so terribly mundane but it adds to the reality of it if you want that. I thought it was brilliant.

No idea. Probably no better than before.

Less is more when the EP's are handled with respect to each other. So, no introducing the same thing twice!
Theorist
#19 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon

Well.. from a marketing point of view they should do this. Most Sims player buy up ALL the EP's because they have to have them all. I'm not one of these players (I only buy EP's that make sense for my game style - so I never have the complete set) so it may not work well for me. On the other hand, if they were to do this, I may need to buy all the EP's so I don't miss out on all that content and gameplay. Just saying.

Although not complete tie-ins, they were able to incorporate certain parts of one EP into another, depending on the EPs installed, of course. In the Sims Hot Date, if you have the House Party EP installed, some downtown locations will have objects from that EP (e.g. DJ booth, mechanical bull, mini bar). If you only have Hot Date installed with the base game, those objects would be replaced with base game objects (e.g. decorative items, stereo). If you have the Livin' Large EP installed, some places would have the slot machine.

I don't know if tie-ins like that are done in the Sims 3 and its respective EPs. I'm not so sure about the Sims 2 either. Most EA-made locations seem to contain the exact same stuff no matter what EPs you have installed.

I think Seasons and SuperNatural were sort of tied in together in TS3.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 7:07 PM

Yes, something new after getting bored.

The Sims
The Sims 2
The Sims 3

I was about to say The Sims, just none.

I don't really know, I normally don't even know an EP was released until a month later.

Too many
Not enough

Too many, more should have been included in the base game.

The Sims Livin' Large

The Sims 2... Erhh, I have freetime and borrowed Seasons. So, I don't really know.

Pets, and to be honest, I don't know why.

Large amounts of things, new Sims, not much more.

An old item with 2 new features.

Same old things we got last game.

New features we never got before, and lots of it.

Hi.
Instructor
#21 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 8:10 PM
Not necessarily. I think the base game should be able to hold up on it's own and be just as enjoyable without the extras. It should feel like a good game. EPs should make it better, but the base should be a solid game by itself.

The Sims
The Sims 2
The Sims 3

Never played the Sims, but if I had to choose between Sims 2 and Sims 3.... probably 3. I hate playing a bare Sims 2 game, but I think Sims 3 is a little more tolerable.

I don't mind the rate they're released. 2 a year isn't so bad methinks.

Too many
Not enough

Just right? Seeing as I don't buy them all. I do like having choices.

I'm a somewhat realism focused, family/gameplay oriented player, so anything that adds realism to the game (i.e., Downtown, college, vacations) or just items or concepts that add extra gameplay, then I'm all in. The exception to that rule is Pets - they aren't my go-to :P

For Sims 2 it was University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartment Life, and Bon Voyage. For Sims 3 they are Ambitions, Generations, Late Night, and Seasons (I never got UL and IP but I think I'd probably like those as well).

Eh, I don't think entire EPs are redundant. Late Night, Showtime, and Supernatural seem to have redundant features though.

Things that add actual new gameplay, enough new content (clothes, worlds, neighborhoods, buildings, etc) to justify the price.

Anything is EP material, as long as there's enough of it! I just don't like being overcharged for something that's lacking.

Probably the same way they've handled them previously. Some will be based on old concepts, some will be original ideas. It mainly depends on how the base game is.

I'd like a strong base game so that we don't waste EPs on previous, redundant ideas. Good ideas, mind you, but I do like new ideas In a perfect world, Weather, university, and a downtown would be already included in the base, as well as some cool new features to boot, paving way for 3-4 EPs to focus on something else, new and exciting! Perhaps in the Sims 5?
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 8:59 PM
I have played all the main sims games most of my life since I was playing the game at a young age. These answers are all based on my opinions and experiences that I have with the different sims eras.

The base game is not complete as in the features it has limited depending on which base game. In the base games for each of the base games have the basic features to be added on in later games. I personally think that it is complete in that sense of basic terms it is playable but with all EPs or some of them on it makes the game more fun and allows me to do more within the game.

• The Sims
• The Sims 2
• The Sims 3

The original base game for Sims and Sims 2 feel complete in a basic game as in I could play them but I would want more in there that what EA offered in one game so if they never made any for any of them then the game would not be as successful as it is now. In case of the sims is the fact nearly everything added to it was new and original though it may not be prefect but after having them all on it makes that game feel complete. I cannot play sims 2 without the EPs and unless I am installing all the sims 2 EPs I only base game only when I am checking it to see if it works. The Sims 3 in its entity does not feel complete to me as in some of the things in the game felt in complete and some of them did not work or was broken in someway, not mention that one version of the base game does not work anymore.

I will say that they are realised to often with sims 3 as in some of the expansion packs though I do not own all of them feel rushed and some of them are broken as in I have seasons for sims 3 and it is only been installed once. It for some reason made my game crash during the loading video and froze on the EA logo, calling up EA did not help as they blame me for all every problem I have. I had to reinstall all my sims 3 stuff to make work. Along with the stuff packs they are realised to often and normally close together or a month or two apart as in movie stuff comes out several days before into future does.

• Too many
• Not enough

In Sims 3 there are too many which are not always needed as in having an expansion like nightlife which only adds some new features to the game. The point of the expansions is to add more things to the base game which are new and fun to use but in sims 3 they are either taking stuff from past sims games or the ones they create themselves is not either useful or wanted. Sims 2 and sims 1 have enough to keep the game fun without being over crowded with multiple features which I either never use or causes something to go wrong.

5. What are your favourite EPs? Why?

The Sims: I enjoyed many of the expansions for the sims but I say that for my personally Makin magic for at the time when I first played it was way after the sims 1 era ended or at least that was when I remember playing it. I loved the way that I could apply strategy though basic to magic duels and I got quite good at it and even wrote combos to win. I loved the magic shows for they were true magic and not the illusions that are used in showtime. It also made me smile and laugh at my poor sims and not many of them in any of the games has done that apart the glitches that happen in sims 3 EPs.

The Sims 2: I have enjoyed many of them but my favourites are most of them seasons, pets, apartment life and nightlife. They all gave my game something I enjoyed, I have always been a fan of the magic elements that some of the expansion packs along with creatures and many elements that were in the sims originally were improved and were prefect for me as I understand how to use and all the features are wonderfully not redundant in the game will apart from freetime and the stuff packs are all useful for the game and are not pointless and stupid.

The Sims 3: there has only been one and only I can call my favourite is supernatural. Many of the expansions lack any good features and the good features are flawed in some small way and I have not tried .It is one of the least glitches caused by expansion and gave me a fun time with the new clothes along with the gothic furniture and the fairies. The improvements to the vampires were welcomed as in it made them better than in late night but please did we need to know that EA thinks that all vampires should be like twilight with all it’s twilight related rubbish like the sparkles and the romance thing with a vampire, werewolf and a normal sim.

Redundant depends on what you want from the expansion as in many of the more supernatural related ones are usallay considered that way as they are not realistic. I find that the most if not all the sims 3 stuff packs redundant especially since katy perry stuff came out. Sims 2 freetime is redundant to me as many a time the hobbies stuff was annoying especially since they glow when they are good at anything after a while.

A hard one to answer but I do consider that anything either totally new or a feature in the game that is unique for the expansion pack and added something unique to the era of sims games it came in (until it is remade the next reincarnation of sims).

Online features are not considered EP material for me along with social features as they tell me to duy stuff and ask, do you want too share this memory of this seem peeing themselves on facebook so people can see how rubbish you are at sims. I’d rather be playing the game and deal with this. I have hated the smilies that cannot be removed or at least to my knowledge, that memories have when they are created. My fear is that with sims 4 it will be worse than that and be like latest version of simscity only much worse.

Like all other Sims expansions since the original do the same thing as done before in other versions of the sims. Oh and all so they will be as buggy as hell as well as over priced for what they are. Stuff packs will be as pointless as possible and also over priced for what they are. That’s EA for you, the best company in America in hacking off all your customers and sims fans off.

Either less of them which are well made and full of worthwhile content which are new and wanted by all or do the same thing they have done before. It was worked really well with sims 2 why not do it again or even better make two sets of expansions one for people who like realism in sims and those who want supernatural stuff in them then that way making more money for EA (making them happy) and giving people the option of not having them without much loss as in have same features but adapted for realism or fantasy.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 9:16 PM
I only played the Sims 3 so I can"t tell for the others but I would say EPs are essential as they bring new functionalities and they avoid players boredom... So in my opinion this game is far from complete without EPs (it could and should not be).

As much as I like novelty, I think EP are released a little too often. I have not even played all the seasons fully, let alone discover IP... (but that is mainly because I had a lot of issues with my Mac. Now I play on a Windows partition and it's better)

There is too much EPs in my opinion. Several could have been included in another one: Showtime with Late Night, Generations with the Base Game or UNI with Generations for example.

I couldn't possibly play without Late Night or Supernatural ! The reason is that I really like making my Sims go to bars and clubs, and I am a fan of all things supernatural. Most of my Sims are (or soon become) occults. Uni would have been a favorite of mine too if you wouldn't have to go away to the same ugly world with the same faces each semester and each time you play a new game...

I never cared for any of the Stuff Packs, and some of the standalone worlds were "meh" (the pirate city, Hidden Springs with its fake elves - that I bought but never really played)... It's a way to keep players giving money but I think it's not worth buying them, when we have an entire community of very talented creators

Weather, careers, content that adds an animated feature (preferably funny or surprising) that could be used in a daily sims'life (like a rocking-chair, kids objects or baseball hoop), new worlds, creatures, building tools/stuff, new socializing tools (like the smartphone), new gameplay features...

Extravagant deco, hair and clothes in general... it's best to keep it for the Store or Stuff Packs. It doesn't hurt that it's in the EPs but I'd prefer a better gameplay to a better looking Sim !

If they listened to their players, it should be a little less abusing for the players' wallet because they would release less EPs, but packed with more quality... But I think it will be similar to the way they handled the Sims 3 releases.

First and foremost, I really wish they will make the game work on Mac and PC alike, and not tell us it's compatible when it is clear the game doesn't work well on Mac...
But for the EPs I would like a better cohesion about the order and content of the released EPs... It seems to me they intended well in the beginning, but lost their focus after Ambitions-Late Night...

(I hope I answered in an intelligible enough english because I'm French and I have not slept for 21 hours - so my brain is half-dead by now )
Field Researcher
#24 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 10:06 PM
I think the base game should be a good solid stand-alone game with the basics - weather & a family pet available.

I liked Making Magic but Supernatural not so much - threw my Sims world into to much of a freak show for me.

I like EPs to add to lifestyles like a Farming EP or something like a 'Neighbors from Hell' EP with section and house deterioration
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 12:08 AM
I forgot to mention something, if you want all the features in the base game then the price would bigger and the game maybe more bugged and flawed due to EA's inability of making a stable game which is the sim series.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Page 1 of 2