Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 3:23 AM
Default What do ya have on your list of chance happenings?
What are some of the things you put in a random generator, roll the dice, spill the wheel, or whatever is used, to make the game a bit more interesting/ challenging/ realistic?
(I know this has been discussed somewhere else, but I couldn't find where. I'm not even sure it was its own thread.)

I know that some use things that are job dependent, such as if it's a dangerous job (Law Enforcement, Military) the possibility of injury or death is used. Then there's KittyLynn who has her list of things for her Wheel of Torture (as told about in her Pleasantview Megahood story).

I'm sure (at least I think I am :D) that I'm not the only one who'd be interested in knowin what others do.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 4:12 AM
The only thing I can think of at the moment that I roll myself are personalities for babies. I don't like how the game generates them, so I have my own system

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 6:30 AM
Jobs, number of children, freetime extra stuff (including secondary aspiration) and what lot they visit when they go downtown on an outing or date. There are a couple of hoods with stricter rules, but those are for every hood.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 6:50 AM
I was thinkin more along the lines of things that can happen durin game play, unexpected things that give the play a bit more randomness I suppose, which is why I gave the example of the dangerous job leadin to injury or death.

Does anyone have their sims 'buy' insurance? I was just thinkin that might be somethin to add and for those who don't buy/ pay for it have a higher chance of somethin happenin - house fire which would force a move or remodeling.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 8:17 AM
I roll for YA pregnacy since I use the simblender for it.

I do have some random events to roll if a family gets boring, like go on a camping trip, get a pet, dress like a cow and go prank 10 sims.

I roll for my thief to get caught picking pockets.

I have not rolled for death since that isn't my style, my sims all live long, long lives. I might roll for a pretend injury though since I do have a broken arm and leg on my random event list.

The trip and quad mod rolls baby numbers for me.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#6 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 9:20 AM
I have tried using a ROS, but found myself ignoring it all the time. So I stopped.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 11:26 AM
I've tried to use ROS to 'liven up' the gameplay but found that they're really not necessary as the pixels often go off-script enough to make it interesting. I just sit back and watch when it appears to be boring. It's pretty much guaranteed that something will happen to upset the boredom...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 11:27 AM
I roll for a chance of death, partial infertility and complete infertility when a sim gives birth. The exact chance of death/infertility vary depending on whether the pregnancy is due to alien abduction or not and how many babies are born. In my current 'hood I have had one death for a female sim (Goldie Hart) and two deaths for male sims who were pregnant after alien abductions (Junior Mann & Tommy Ottomas) so far, in 44 in-game days of playing the 'hood.

I roll for fertility when a sim is born or created in CAS, made playable or when I start playing a premade 'hood. If a female sim rolls to be majorly or somewhat inclined to miscarry, if/when they get pregnant I roll during each trimester to decide whether or not they miscarry. For all other sims miscarriage is random and controlled by the game (I use an edited version of the Inteen miscarriage where it isn't linked to low needs), so when non-inclined to miscarry sims miscarry it comes as a complete surprise to me.

I also have some careers/career levels which have a chance of major or minor disability (Grilled Cheese aspiration as primary or secondary, Military career only), death (various careers) or going to prison (Criminal career only). I set the odds to not lead to too many deaths, and so far I have only had one work-related death (Dixie Land, who died whilst working in Law Enforcement) and one sim (Ida Juana Knowe) who was sent to prison whilst she was at level 10 of the Criminal career, so she is still serving her prison sentence.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 1:53 PM
When I have pregnant sims I roll for miscarriage at 7 a.m. each morning and again when the baby pops (in my handmaid hood, I roll every time I click on that sim). They can have a scare with the pregnancy and have to go on bed rest, or, they can lose the baby. If they lose the baby, they can die, become infertile, or just have a simple miscarriage.

When they use magic, I roll to see if the government spies catch them or if majick, itself, becomes enraged. The consequences are bad. I then roll to see whether the spell goes awry. There are two rolls to each consequence. The first is baby/no baby. If an adult sim wins the roll, he/she becomes pregnant with a baby that may or may not (down the road decision) become an extremely powerful supernatural. If a child wins, he/she just has a baby show up. His parents have to care for it, of course, but it shows up as his in the relationship tree. If no baby is rolled, a pregnant sim in the family loses the baby or the youngest child in the family dies.

The next set of rolls is room mate, no room mate. A win in this sees a random sim move in with the family. A loss means the oldest family member dies.

Then we have boom/bust. A win gives the family the max allowed simoleons. A loss takes all their money and they have 0.

Next is job/no job. A win will see the sim or the oldest family member reach the top position available in his current career. If they lose, they also lose their job.

Finally is skill/no skill. A random skill is maxed or minned.

I also roll at the beginning of each hood's rotation to see whether a disaster has taken place.

If a teenager woohoos, I roll to see whether she becomes pregnant.

I'm sure there are others. But that's all I can remember right now.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#10 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 6:05 PM
Pretty much the only thing I roll for in-game is job applications and redundancy, where the probability of the Sim getting or losing a job depends on their interest in the career track, their education, and (for redundancy) how far up the career ladder they are.

I tried playing Veronaville with death rolls for the warring families, giving each teen, adult or elder Sim an assassination risk dependent on their position in the family hierarchy and the number of personal enemies they had, but I found I just can't bring myself to murder a Sim in cold blood, so that didn't last very long!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 6:53 PM
I use a random name generator for CAS Sims when I can't think of a name. That's about all. My Sims usually make sure that the game doesn't go entirely to my plans! I don't feel any need or wish to add any more randomness.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 8:49 PM
The new rule for Fishers Island is that any time an alien woohoos with a man, I roll a d20. A 20 means the non-alien man gets pregnant.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#13 Old 12th Apr 2018 at 10:26 PM Last edited by ieta_cassiopeia : 12th Apr 2018 at 10:38 PM.
My list of chance happenings is only used during challenges, and then only for things that make sense in the challenge. I am not currently playing any challenges, so my list is currently empty.

This is not to say I don't use random change. Rolls occur for things like business perks, secondary aspirations, (sometimes) lot choice when Sims go out, and picking between a shortlist of suitable names if I am truly stuck. It also applies to certain things that have no in-game element as such, including whether an evil witch cursing another Sim without using an in-game spell works (and, where I think the witch would have choices, what sort of curse results), whether a citizen can persuade a politician to vote in favour of their ideas (or even present it as a motion), and whether a prison warden is going to believe the prisoner who is trying to claim they had a legitimate reason to be outside their cell. There's even some randomness involved when it comes to selecting clothes and accessories when shopping or having a "wardrobe change". However, in all cases, I insist on an executive veto to reject any randomness that would lead to something that would be ridiculous from a narrative perspective, and in most cases, previous tendencies and decisions by the Sims involved are also factors.

I have mods that roll the state of the "job economy" and twin/triplet/quad probability for me.

I don't roll number of children, job danger of any type (criminals run a risk of being caught, that's because above a certain level, they are added to the "wanted" list and will be arrested if the police encounter them when they aren't doing something more important, like shopping). Infertility can be the random result of a curse, but usually is due to a specific event - there is no "natural" infertility in my game.

Insurance does not exist in the neighbourhood, except as it pertains to certain types of house fire (and every Sim gets that by royal decree).
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 5:33 AM
I do death rolls every rotation. I roll numbers 10 to 15 to determine the percentage of Sims that will die, then I calculate how many Sims that is. I roll 1 to max Sim population, run through my list of Sims, and pluck 'em off. If it rolls a toddler or a baby, I re-roll.

I roll for both primary and secondary aspirations. 1-6, then I select whichever aspiration the number corresponds to, going clock-wise.

Some of you above have made me consider doing fertility/mother death/miscarriage rolls too. I like using ACR's fertility decrease over time feature, but I might switch over to a roll-based system instead, wherein a Sim's fertility is static. Hmm. Thanks for the ideas!
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 8:39 AM
I have a Random Occurrence Scenario file I downloaded from somewhere, so I roll for every household in the rotation and once every week for the whole neighbourhood. There are things on there like death, disaster, financial, family, relationships...
Mad Poster
#16 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 1:09 PM
That sounds interesting. Do you remember where you got it?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#17 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 2:58 PM
I have a random occurrence thing for my apocalypse neighbourhoods with various ways to die, find pre-cataclysm technology, find food, get sick, mutate, beign robbed, new survivors joining the community etc etc etc.
For my usual neighbourhoods I only have a very informal one; whenever I feel bored I look at stuff for ideas of what might happen to liven the whole thing up again.
I also use chance cards for the dangerous professions. If a police officer/military person/criminal etc gets fired I interpret that as them being killed while on the job.

But I'm really lazy when it comes to having my sims divorce (mostly because it splits the family, and I have enough households as it is :-P) most of the cheating in my neighbourhood happens among Romance sims... who tend to be married to other romance sims who don't mind their partner sleeping with someone else right next to them due to the romance mod...
So A ROS for things like that might be helpful for my game.
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
That sounds interesting. Do you remember where you got it?

^ This. I'd also like to know that.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 3:18 PM
It's probably this one-
http://crystalcreeksims.blogspot.co...-scenarios.html

I downloaded it myself. There's a few at MATY that you might want to grab if you can.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Scholar
#19 Old 13th Apr 2018 at 10:04 PM
As my sims tend to naturally make mincemeat of any concrete plans I have in place for them, I tend to "roll with it" and let them tell me their story. I do have a few areas in which I've added a little randomization, but everything else is controlled by the sims and their wants.

I let ACR take care of when they woohoo/try for baby, but now that I use Almighty Hat's aging mod, I needed the modified ACR controller... and it doesn't work properly for me. For some reason, all the fertility percentages are shifted downwards, so that sims lose fertility at too young an age. To counter this, I keep a spreadsheet with the corrected figures handy, and use the in-game Try For Baby dialogs to determine if a sim should in fact be pregnant according to her age and the number rolled by the controller. For those whom the option never comes up (they're technically too old), I'll use a separate generator to determine if they do in fact try, and depending on the result, I'll then roll a second time for pregnancy chance (if yes) or risky woohoo (if not). If they do get the roll, then I'll use InSim to trigger it.
ACR is also used to randomize the hood's gender preferences, and I take what it gives me. I don't use same-sex pregnancy, so a gay sim wanting kids either needs to get abducted (I've enabled females to get alien-pregnant as well as males) or adopt. The timing for the latter is taken from when (or even if) they roll the want.

As for aspirations and the turn-ons, I use Phae's Random Generators for variety for all born-in-game sims and CAS sims who are not based on RL people. I roll twice per sim; the first roll gives primary aspiration and turn-ons, the second determines their secondary aspiration. A sim rolling the same aspiration twice is deemed to have Grilled Cheese. Premade sims who are teens or older keep their given aspiration and their wants give clues to what their secondary might be. I'm aware it is possible to influence the want trees, but I'll take that chance! RL-based sims mimic the person they're based on.

The chance of multiple births is determined by the Random-Only version of Trips & Quads, and I have to take whatever I'm given, no matter how difficult it may be to handle it. Quitting without saving is only acceptable for certain reasons (such as tracking down corrupt CC, rolling the pacifier or game crashing to desktop).

In regards to clothing, more often than not I'll take what I'm given, unless it's just hideous or it's not the kind of thing my headcanon can see them wearing (no crop tops for my self-sim is a prime example!)

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Instructor
#20 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 12:39 AM Last edited by vllygrl : 14th Apr 2018 at 1:32 AM. Reason: fix links
For anyone who's interested in more historically slanted game play, please check my signature for my Regency-Victorian ROS, ROS for the Medieval Charter Challenge, and Medieval ROS.

Aelflaed has also created an excellent Hood-Wide ROS found here partway down the first post, under Rules of Engagement: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...stpost&t=610236, (sorry, had to do this to make the link work) this one is unique because the events are hood-wide instead of individual or family only. :lovestruc

Also, here's a link to Jade Elliot's ROS on MATY, which as far as I've been able to discover, is probably the first ROS published, and likely the first one created for the Sims: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,12374.0.html.

Always fun to mess with the pixels!

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Theorist
Original Poster
#21 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vllygrl
For anyone who's interested in more historically slanted game play, please check my signature for my Regency-Victorian ROS, ROS for the Medieval Charter Challenge, and Medieval ROS.

Aelflaed has also created an excellent Hood-Wide ROS found here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...25#startcomment (scroll to post #173), this one is unique because the events are hood-wide instead of individual or family only. :lovestruc

Also, here's a link to Jade Elliot's ROS on MATY, which as far as I've been able to discover, is probably the first ROS published, and likely the first one created for the Sims: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,12374.0.html.

Always fun to mess with the pixels!

Link for Aelfaed doesn't work .. can you please fix it

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
It's probably this one-

I downloaded it myself. There's a few at MATY that you might want to grab if you can.

When I clicked on the download link it took me to this - Case Study Ikea Design And Pricing ... and not to the ROS ... lol
Instructor
#22 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 1:33 AM
Links fixed!

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 11:09 AM
Calibrat, everytime I open this link up, it works-did you mean the other links in vllygrl's post?

Theorist
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Calibrat, everytime I open this link up, it works-did you mean the other links in vllygrl's post?

No, the link you gave does take you to the blog. What I meant is the download link given on the blog didn't work... or at least it didn't for me It didn't give a ROS, but instead took me to here https ://www.divshare.com/home-and-garden/case-study-ikea-design-and-pricing-f983399e31
(I put a space after the https so it would post what was said and not link)

The title at the top of the page says it's a Case Study for Ikea Design. Mousin over the link says Divshare/download so prob at one time it was there, but is not longer
Scholar
#25 Old 14th Apr 2018 at 9:28 PM
i might start making my sims randomly infertile or have chances that some sims are unluckier than others etc.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Page 1 of 2