Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th May 2018 at 7:38 PM
Default Heads Up
If, like me, you use an ad blocker, don't even bother trying to get anything from TSR. They will make you wait about 3 minutes while you watch the little page nagging about your ad blocker and asking you to pay 4 bucks a month for premium access.

Then, they block the download. Like most of you I use the site rarely, but I was looking for hood deco to answer a WCIF and found a crop circle hood deco I really wanted. But I don't want it enough to learn how to disable ad blocker. I'm perfectly content letting TSR go.

Gosh, I hope this doesn't violate any posting rules. Sorry. I just know a lot of people occasionally go to that site and wanted them not to have to waste time.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 4th May 2018 at 7:48 PM
as far as I am aware, the computer I use for internet does not have an ad blocker.
as far as I recall, never gotten game content from Sims Resource; just tutorials. and last I checked, their tutorials were on some wiki site.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th May 2018 at 7:49 PM
There's a TSR adblocker blocking addon to Firefox that gives you the 10 second wait instead.

I've also noticed that if I only have one tab open (the item I'm downloading) in IE, TSR doesn't recognize the adblocker, and only gives me a 10 second wait. Doesn't always work, but more often than not.

I refuse to use TSr without an adblocker. They have way too many ads for me to feel comfy downloading anything there...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th May 2018 at 8:22 PM
There is nothing on TSR that I wanted or even needed for the last 8 years so I have not even been there.
To many of the items were poorly made anyway.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
#5 Old 4th May 2018 at 8:36 PM
I've visited TSR with adblocker on since they went free site and I've had no problem. Yes you could end up waiting for like 160 seconds if you open too many pages on there. But then again, I've rarely got anything from there.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 4th May 2018 at 9:42 PM
I use two browsers. I use Firefox mostly, which has an ad blocker. I use Chrome for some other things like TSR. I have downloaded from there fairly recently when looking for something specific. However, the ads are so annoying that visits are rare.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th May 2018 at 9:44 PM
me,too. But they've apparently changed it. I so rarely go there I don't know when they did, but now you 280 or something seconds before the download, then, after that, they block it.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th May 2018 at 10:57 PM
I have downloaded some great stuff from TSR - personally, I don't find it remotely as horrible as other players seem to do. Yes, I get ads - but it is ads by SA companies (Same ads I see here) that I know well (I even buy from some of them quite regulary) - and, yes, I have to wait 10 seconds or something - but I have waited longer on other sites and am fairly sure that things like adfly are more dangerous. I do clear the cookies on my pc regularly, whether I have been to TSR or not. It is true that I seldom downloaded more than one thing at a time (mostly because I can get confused if I try to download too many things and I like to try things in my game one by one) - but I never had to wait long - could that be because of the adblock yo use, smorbie1?

Now I know there is a bit of a history with TSR, but that was before my time. Then there are some creators there that have unfortunately made some things that I like to use in my game - it was the only place where I could find an actual African thorn tree, and since they grow literally everywhere in my country, I like to have one in my game. And I also really like some of the creators there. However, I have no intention to every pay a monthly fee or join them.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th May 2018 at 11:03 PM Last edited by gazania : 5th May 2018 at 12:15 AM.
I've downloaded stuff from there, but have the usual blockers on. But let me see if TSR figured how to work around the blockers I have. It's been a few weeks, so this must be fairly recent. The last time, I got the usual 10-second wait. I guess TSR didn't like that. I noticed a download blocked once then, but came back some time later and managed to get it. It was part of a group of downloads. Maybe TSR set some file limit then.

We do know what to do most of the time, when possible, though, to get around that?

EDIT ... Nope. Got the TSR blocker crap on my page. Time to see if the alternate source has it, and if not, I don't need it that badly. TSR can keep it. (The alternate source had it. Get lost, TSR.) Sometimes, though, I seem to be able to work around it. I have no idea how. Unfortunately, I really didn't want the test CC I tried! Oh, well!

EDIT AGAIN ... There is a way to work around it for now, but the best idea, really, is to go to the alternate source first. It's far less cumbersome. I'm concerned if I post the workaround here, TSR will clamp down on it. While it may already know, this would be one of the first places it would look if it didn't, I think! If I can find it, anyone can. My Google skills are not superior.

TSR gave someone here malware from these ads. Maybe it's a one-off deal and they fixed it, but I don't trust them. It is one thing to gently persuade people to turn off the adblockers; another thing to force them. I see this outside of TSR as well.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Alchemist
#10 Old 4th May 2018 at 11:40 PM
I've had a couple of different recent experiences with them. A couple of weeks ago it wouldn't even start the download before I turned off my adblocker. I needed the object so I did it. This week the download went straight through without turning off the adblocker or having to wait (I also have the add on to skip the longer wait time).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 4th May 2018 at 11:46 PM
I havn't been able to download from there for a good two months.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 4th May 2018 at 11:48 PM
I never stay on the TSR site for long. I'm on to get what I want then off, never leaving it open while I browse elsewhere, as it seemed to freeze up my computer. I also clear the cache regularly.
If I visit the site with Firefox (with ad-blocker) it used to have me wait a long time but now a dropdown menu obscures everything and nothing I do clears it so completely useless. I refuse to pay for something which is freely available elsewhere for an old game.
Theorist
#13 Old 5th May 2018 at 12:07 AM
I don't think I have downloaded CC from TSR since Sims 2 was still in it's development cycle, so since before 2008... and even then not much, I was a kid, it was a paysite and my parents had raised me to think that I shouldn't pay for digital clothes/pets/furniture. Something I still agree on (donations to keep a site running are a different matter)
So I never got many things form it.

These days I also agree with others that a lot of their content is very low quality and I find it somewhat difficult to browse or search the site.

The only really fun thing I ever got from there were those game-play scenarios or "campaigns" they had ages ago...and those don't seem to be available anymore.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 5th May 2018 at 12:08 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th May 2018 at 9:36 PM.
Nowadays I mostly use TSR for downloading TS3 and TS4 items for personal conversions and the occasional texture (not even feeling the least bit guilty, because TSR has always been a pain in the behind). I only rarely download TS2 items because there's barely anything new over there, and I've already got most of the items I want.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 5th May 2018 at 12:10 AM
The last time I went there, it "only" made me wait one minute and did let me download once I waited. I guess they realized we still weren't turning our adblockers off. Blocking the download is a new low. Why not tell us that in the first place? They're literally stealing 3 minutes of your time (since you can't even open a new tab, the timer won't count down) and then saying "lol sucker turn ur ad block off."

I've *tried* turning my ad block off, TSR. But you greedy little craps don't seem to monitor what ads people report as spammy/unhelpful/inappropriate even though you say that you do, and the website is frankly unusable. I *can't* block it if there's so many ads going on my browser crashes. TSR has always had a trashy reputation, but lack of morals didn't make the site obsolete. The ads do. Way to go, guys, you've killed your site!
Instructor
#16 Old 5th May 2018 at 1:12 AM
Booty

http://svs.paysites.mustbedestroyed.../booty/ts2/tsr/

He is missing some content, but I think 90% of their downloads are here.
Inventor
#17 Old 5th May 2018 at 1:22 AM
I only downloaded a few houses I liked from TSR, but this new info makes me disappointed. I tried browsing TSR without adblock to speed up the download time and my browser was slowed to a crawl, and some of the video ads I encountered were intentionally loud. I'll only go back there to re-download those houses but after that I'll probably delete my account :/.
Theorist
#18 Old 5th May 2018 at 1:27 AM
Just went to download a few things (from some of the old Featured Artists) that was not on the Booty, and did not have any issues/adblock nagging at all. TSR pages load a bit slower than any other website for sure, but if you have fast internet it's not horrible. My browser is Chrome, and I use Adblock Plus and the TSR Ad Skipper (completely bypasses the wait time) extensions. Also have a pop-up blocker in place as well (just in case).

Either way, I would never visit that site without safeguards in place...It's just not worth it otherwise.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Instructor
#19 Old 5th May 2018 at 1:31 AM
I've also had a problem when I download a mesh and there's a link that says there is recolors and when I click it, nothing. I've written them about it, but the site must be on a auto server, no help.
Scholar
#20 Old 5th May 2018 at 1:40 AM
Personally I like to use TSR-Freemium when I download there. It emulates the features that subscribers get by paying a monthly subscription. It makes downloading content on there so much faster and it skips all that wait time https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/18938-tsr-freemium. I had just tested it out by clicking on the download button and it still works like a charm.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 5th May 2018 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
Booty

http://svs.paysites.mustbedestroyed.../booty/ts2/tsr/

He is missing some content, but I think 90% of their downloads are here.

He'd be missing anything that was available for free, as he only keeps pay content. Now, however, all of their stuff is technically for free.
Instructor
#22 Old 5th May 2018 at 3:02 AM
@Charity I agree, all their downloads are free, but this beats waiting for downloads through their ads. The original poster was complaining about the ads, so I gave him the link I think booty stopped collecting content at some point, so that's why not everything is there.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 5th May 2018 at 4:30 AM
Maybe I should upload here what I have over there...what's worth it anyway. lol (one default..for the rest, it is old and it sucks.)
If only I knew how to take everything down! I just checked, and cannot find a way to remove my stuff.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
#24 Old 5th May 2018 at 5:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Personally I like to use TSR-Freemium when I download there. It emulates the features that subscribers get by paying a monthly subscription. It makes downloading content on there so much faster and it skips all that wait time https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/18938-tsr-freemium. I had just tested it out by clicking on the download button and it still works like a charm.

You and whoever wrote this script are lifesavers for those times we absolutely need to visit TSR. I still need to go there sometimes for old meshes or hairs that I use for personal conversions on other games. Thank you!
Scholar
#25 Old 5th May 2018 at 5:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by budwinys
You and whoever wrote this script are lifesavers for those times we absolutely need to visit TSR. I still need to go there sometimes for old meshes or hairs that I use for personal conversions on other games. Thank you!

Credit goes to Drawbackz. I wasn't involved during its development and I don't know how to program but whoever wrote the script i'm really thankful for him or her and you're welcome.
Page 1 of 2