Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 4:32 PM
Default Recovering stories from the old TS2 Exchange?
Don't know if I posted this in the right category; nevertheless - is there any way I could recover my TS2 stories from the closed site? I mean, if there's some other site that somehow stored them or anything like that, because I would really love to reread them.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 5:13 PM
Try The Wayback Machine. It archives old pages.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 5:16 PM
I have, however, I assume I need to be logged in to see all the stories? And either I don't remember my password, or it just doesn't work. Besides, do I need to select a certain timeline? Because the 2012 one doesn't seem to show all the stories. Dammit! Should've saved them when I had the chance.

Is the whole site archived, though, or just some sections? It looks like it won't let me search for my own username there.

Field Researcher
#4 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 6:27 PM
I was linked to this page awhile back. Seems to have several old exchange stories on it, but I don't know if yours would be in there.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 7:11 PM
Thanks, but I've been there as well, to no end. They were really bad stories anyhow, but I wanted to reread them for old times' sake. Ah, well...

Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 7:36 PM
I wonder if they would be saved on your computer somewhere? I never uploaded any stories to the exchange but am I right in thinking you had to do so using the in game photo album?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I wonder if they would be saved on your computer somewhere? I never uploaded any stories to the exchange but am I right in thinking you had to do so using the in game photo album?

As far as I know as long as you never reinstalled/backed up the neighborhood the story took place, the pictures are saved but not the captions. I know in the original Sims 1 it also saved a notepad file with the caption inserted along with the pictures.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 9:07 PM
I had TS2 on a different laptop which I've sold a looong time ago, so there's no point trying that. Damn.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 9:27 PM
Actually, the captions were saved, in an .xml file with the name webentry_randomalphanumericIDforhousehold . The stories are readable in a compatible.xml reader (there's one specifically made for reading Sims2 stories) if the pictures are available for it to access.

And this is why you keep external backups of old stuff.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#10 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vladora
I was linked to this page awhile back. Seems to have several old exchange stories on it, but I don't know if yours would be in there.

Sorry OP that you can't get your stories - but thanks for that link! My stories are on there (much to my surprise). I did copy/paste everything to MS Word before the exchange went Kerblooey but it's nice to know they exist elsewhere.
Scholar
#11 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 5:35 AM
I still remember the story about Lurleen and her dream trailer. :D

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 6th May 2018 at 7:39 PM
can we do this for sims too
Mad Poster
#13 Old 7th May 2018 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rawra
I have, however, I assume I need to be logged in to see all the stories? And either I don't remember my password, or it just doesn't work. Besides, do I need to select a certain timeline? Because the 2012 one doesn't seem to show all the stories. Dammit! Should've saved them when I had the chance.

Is the whole site archived, though, or just some sections? It looks like it won't let me search for my own username there.

But if it needs a password, how would the Wayback Machine be able to get in the first place? I'm not even sure if it saves javascript anyways.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#14 Old 7th May 2018 at 1:37 AM
Why are we necromancing this thread, again?