Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Link Ninja
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 6:44 PM
Default What's your sims specialty?
After about 14 years the sims 2 is still widely played and loved. There are many different aspects of the game: live mode, build mode, pictures, modding, creating custom content, sims, etc. So for those you that have played for a long time is there anything after all these years you consider yourself really 'good' at?

Building?
Interior Decorating?
Creating unique sims?
Creating CC?

Or even in-game mechanics you have mastered such as:
Juggling needs and sim schedules, or finances?
Avoiding the social worker?
Throwing parties?
Impressing the headmaster every time?
Running businesses?
Completing challenges?

I consider myself good at taking pics - it was an area I wanted to focus on from the start so I practiced and learned more about how get into tab mode, use OMSPs, camera mods, keyboard short cuts, poseboxes etc. I also consider myself good at decorating, and that was also done through time and research ie. looking at other people's pictures, considering how to use clutter, wall/floor combinations that looked harmonious and furniture that matched. Building is something I have been working on, I am by no means an advanced builder (dummy floors are something I still avoid, and I don't use CFE that much) but I have looked up tutorials on how to do interesting things and have taken the hours to try to replicate it...with or without success.

I also would like to work on my businesses game. This year was the first time I have ever gotten a business to level 10 in my hood and I've had OFB for over 5 years!

I think sims 2 is so great because there are so many areas to focus on and have an interest in. What are your favorite parts that you have excelled in or want to work on?

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 7:38 PM
I like to write stories but it's time consuming especially if you want to take decent photos and need time to take "in game" photos that mean something to the story. When I wrote my last story, Life of Laura, it was not something "really happening in game. " I made it up in my head and just took shots to continue the storyline.

I also enjoy making Sims videos but with photos, not video. I have always been interested in film making and find the Sims photos I take in my game good practice.

The main thing I do is edit and post photos.

Currently I'm trying for the umpteenth time to learn how to color and maybe re texture clothes properly. I'm afraid I either don't have the patience to do it very well or I am hopeless at understand graphics programs beyond editing pictures.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Test Subject
#3 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 7:45 PM
I'm getting back into Sims 2 yet again so I've been planning out everything meticulously and making my own custom townies.

I only have EPs up until OFB but I really want to try my hand at more businesses like a car dealership, flower shop, bakery and salon. The only businesses I've ever had before were ticket machine and catalogue-stock.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 7:55 PM
I'm pretty good at making pet breeds. I'm also good at creating horrifying-looking Sims, finding odd glitches in the game, and hoarding CC.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#5 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 8:01 PM
custom content; created a number of mods/hacks, also wall/floor/terrain covers, and various sim parts. also "unlocked" various hidden shipped version content.
created some lots with some of the wall/floor/terrain covers I created.

needs/finances; usually use cheats and/or hacks for those.
social worker; only the Children/younger I wanted to be taken were taken.
parties; done very few besides the ones mentioned in Chapter 3 of base game's Prima Guide.
headmaster; had been successful several times. though would now use Sim Blender to get Child/Teens into private school.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 8:09 PM
I excel at enjoying the game.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 8:26 PM Last edited by gazania : 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:44 AM.
Finding new and obscure ways to wreck and/or corrupt hoods that haven't been mentioned in the Wiki! This seems to be an innate talent. Certainly something I haven't purposely pursued.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 8:43 PM
I'm pretty good at play-testing.

Mostly I'm just good at playing, but I also have a knack for noting where stuff went wrong, which makes for a good play-tester.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Inventor
#9 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 9:08 PM
I guess I'm good at retextureing/recoloring hairs, I'm getting better at it as I go along (though some are too difficult to attempt) . And I think I'm better at taking sim portraits and combining poses; I never try to use the same pose twice and I have an eye at capturing my sims' personality through facial expressions or through their body language

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 9:39 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Sep 2018 at 10:53 PM.
I like to write stories with sims as characters, take posed pictures, and make CC. I've done them all for 10-12-ish years each (I've written non-sims stories for quite a while longer, but started writing in English with the first sim story I wrote), so I have a lot of practice, and I keep learning new things all the time. I'm not an expert in any of them, but hopefully good enough.

I may have a small talent for making accessories and infant CC. I think I was the first to make both custom hairs and accessories for infants, plus all-age accessories with infant included. Perhaps a little talent in the making of hospital CC too. Put together, infant and hospital themed CC is probably over half of the CC I've ever made.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 9:50 PM
Weird, complicated rule sets and head-cannons. Maybe also good stories LOL I just tell them to myself since I feel like they might be 'off' to others lol. Edit to add: I think I'm a good sight-builder. If I see a building I like and want to recreate, either in real life or as a piece of cc etc., I'm pretty confident that I can build something with the same features. It'll look different - different layout and so on since I build the way I need, but I like to think that I've gotten tons better at realistic buildings by looking at pictures and building what I see

I suck at nearly everything else. That said, I think the mods I've made for myself have been good - I did the ACR controller update to work with my home made lifespan mod, I made a PT set, a name mod, and like four sets of replacement face templates. I did make clothes once, but it took three days since it was the first time I'd done it and it was so time consuming I never wanted to do it again lol.

Maybe the best thing I've learned/done with TS2 is getting comfortable in SimPE. Man that was scary when I first started messing with it, but now I more or less feel like I know where things are... most of the time. I don't get scared when poking around in the guts of packages to figure out what to do (on a small scale. I don't think I've ever made anything complicated before but at least I can deal with minor things).
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 10:12 PM
Playing the game - and enjoying it -and raising sim twins.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 10:18 PM
In the functional sense, I think I'm pretty good at juggling the needs of numerous sims and keeping them alive and happy. I've got a few university households comprised of 8+ sims, and I've never needed maxmotives to keep everyone's head above water.

Aesthetically, I think I'm actually really good at interior decorating and making floorplans. It's something that comes as a newer skill to me (studied and practiced in the last year or two), and it's been lots of fun to play with the color wheel and explore outside my comfort zone with community and residential lots.

Creatively, I think I do a pretty good job of storytelling and character development. All of my sims have a past and complex wants and goals, and layered relationships amongst themselves. There was a point a few years ago wherein I looked at my game and thought, with all the tools to develop a multi-faceted, integrated city with potentially hundreds of thousands of inhabitants, why not go for it? So I dove into it, reasoning that it's fun, an exercise in empathy and creative writing, and would help me greatly in my personal writing projects by developing all manner of different personality types, storylines, foils, and flaws. It's been really fun. I don't see an end to it all, honestly.

Sims 2 Story|My Tumblr|Donate
See something of mine you like? Just ask, and I'll get you a link to the item you're looking for.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 11:06 PM
While I enjoy a range of things from building, recolouring, thinking up contests and challenges; I don't think I am that great at any of those.
I think my forte would have to be playing and in-game mechanics. I seem to have played in all kinds of ways and if it's game related I seem to know it or how to do it. There are only a very few areas of the game I have not completed and mastered. Things like taking on triplets or business to level 10 is an everyday thing for me, not a challenge. Headmaster-a piece of cake, parties-no issues. The one challenge that I want to do over is the apocalypse, I only tried it once back in about 07 and didn't get that far.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 12:50 AM
Finding out the oh-so-complicated ways of creating things using only EAxis content that most people would just use CC that's been around for a decade for instead...

And also really big buildings that crash your poor old computers.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:36 AM
Your hospital crashed on my old computer, but I finally got to see all around it on my new one- great job on it BTW. Still not sure if I am game to play it though!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#17 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:38 AM
I'm good at telling stories to myself about the pixels, improving my game, making rules for the game.
Also raising multiple instances of triplets and quadruplets without the parents going insane. Businesses I cheat terribly at, but they're fun for me.
Also micromanaging the towns I make so painstakingly and prettifying them up. Building some houses and lots to use.

Mostly enjoying my game after all these years of downloading CC and houses.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#18 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:49 AM
My speciality must be keeping Sims alive. All the Sims I've ever played are still alive. I've never even seen the Grim Reaper. Long may it continue thus! (I'm just a little afraid that, when I do meet the Grim Reaper, he leaves my Sims and takes me! )

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 2:29 AM
Ummm - prodding about at things? I've done most stuff with the game but I confess what I like most is prodding about inside the files.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#20 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 2:46 AM
wrecking... em... things?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Forum Resident
#21 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 2:46 AM
Well... I guess I'd have to say that one thing I'm good at is running nightclub businesses. I have one sim who, if his bar doesn't rake in at LEAST §10,000 in a night, it's a complete failure. I have gone as high as a little over §13,000 but i'm usually somewhere between §10,500-§12,500...

I guess the other thing i'm really good at is placating and appeasing insomniac sims. When my sims are home, they tend to be rather standard, with going to bed and whatnot. But when they go to a community lot, or worse, to run their OFB... it's usually DAYS. Sometimes, even a week. Keeping them awake, motivated and happy for a week is where i SHINE! I think the most difficult part is their aspirations. it's hard to fulfill wants when you're running a nightclub. Eventually you get a bunch of wants that you can't do at work. "Meet Somebody New" when you know everyone in town, "Buy Jewelry" or "Buy New Clothes", "Go on an Island Vacation", and "Buy Business Lot". Well, i'm KIND OF busy, atm! Roll me a flirt or a slap-dance want. Talk about hobby, for crying out loud! My sim can do that ALL DAY.

But i guess maybe the thing i am best at would be thinking of new ideas to create for the game, and trying to come up with in-game features that can be used to help achieve these mods and/or hacks I've dreamed up. Some are better than others. Some are more possible than others. Sadly, while I have lots of ideas, i haven't the know-how to create. You may have heard me say in other threads, "i'm not really a 'hands-on' evil genius". I've tried! I'm trying again!! ...just got Milkshape. Confused as HELL! ...but i've never been any good at coding and, while i've looked at code in SimPE, i can barely make heads or tails of it. All that being said, the brainstorms are violent CAT-5s that just keep coming. hahah. If anybody ever wants to swipe one of my ideas and make it, BY ALL MEANS, FEEL FREE!!

-gE
>=)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 10:13 AM
Theorist
#23 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 3:41 PM
I excel at always wanting to play the game, but in reality I end up doing something like making stuff for the game I'm not even playing, or something that's not even game related at all. It's a vicious cycle, really.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Downloading.

This is the real answer.

Sims 2 Story|My Tumblr|Donate
See something of mine you like? Just ask, and I'll get you a link to the item you're looking for.
Test Subject
#25 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 9:46 PM
Downloading so much CC it breaks the computer.
Page 1 of 5