Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 9:25 AM
Default Random thoughts - Noob need advice on playing The Sims 3
Hello.

If the thread is in the wrong place you are free to move it.

in this moment of time a friend /co-worker tries to get windows 7 running on my new computer (whit a motherboard that do not support the OS) but I do think he would come up whit a solution in the end. If he fix it I will continue playing The Sims 2. But, I thought that maybe it would be fun to even try The Sims 3.

And my question for you is: Would it be difficult for me to do that. I have been playing TS2 for about 10 years now and know alot about playing, building and so on but how do things work in TS3? I do think I will be building for most of the time so it would be interesting to know. I have seen some building videos on Youtube and it seems like the possibilities to place objects are endless (like in real life). In TS2 it's just a question of rotating objects in an angle of 45 or 90 degrees. TS3 does not seem to care at all. Maybe the Youtubers uses tons of cheats, I don't know...

So would you be so kind to brief me on this issue? Should I invest in a graphics card and get myself The Sims 3 or should I stick to The Sims 2? All input are welcome.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#2 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Seems like the universe is speaking to me, reminding me I have other tasks at hand outside of playing The Sims. Though, I'm really curious who's this sim is named like that.

I see no pic...
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 1:38 PM
Posted it on a wrong thread. Anyway, I think it would be great to pin down a "Should I buy/invest in TS3 ?" thread, as this isn't the only thread.that were like this.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Posted it on a wrong thread. Anyway, I think it would be great to pin down a "Should I buy/invest in TS3 ?" thread, as this isn't the only thread.that were like this.

Do you got a link? I'm new in this part of the forum.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 4:10 PM
Unfortunate, not. You might found one or two by browsing a few pages back in this child-forum. Can't guarantee it.
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
No.

Yes.

Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 7:19 PM
Sims 3 is a very good game, but plays differently from Sims 2. (I love both of them.) I think I would say the natural play style of Sims 3 is legacy. I'd check your graphics card to see how well it would handle the game. (There's a handy chart in the Sims 3 help section here.)

There are near-mandatory mods here, just as in Sims 2: NRASS' Error Trap and Overwatch. (They run in the background and keep your game clean; even if you don't run much CC or mods, these are advisable.) Use "save as" rather than "save." Keep backup saves.

There are two current versions of the game, 1.67 and 1.69. 1.69 doesn't do much except make you use the launcher; if you want to stay on 1.67 it's probably easiest to get the Steam edition.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
All it would do is turn into another argument thread about which game is better. There is enough of that across the hall on the TS4 forum. If people want to know about TS3 and whether it is worth their time and money, there is no "This is best game, evah!" stuff around here or shortage of problem solving, what causes problems, things to avoid, how to run a clean game, ect... All a person has to do is read. If they are confused about something specific, most of the time there is somebody around to answer those types of questions.

It that's what it is does by your reasoning, then this thread should be forbidden: locked or deleted. Threads like these repeats, so IMO it would be benefitial If those who are completating of buying would get as much insight as possible from reoccuring question. I didn't say it should be "x versus y / Which game should I play" thread, but a original post that helps players decide for themselves by giving what game provides or doesn't, with or without hacks.

Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 8:56 PM
Please, NO fighting!

Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
Sims 3 is a very good game, but plays differently from Sims 2. (I love both of them.) I think I would say the natural play style of Sims 3 is legacy. I'd check your graphics card to see how well it would handle the game. (There's a handy chart in the Sims 3 help section here.)

There are near-mandatory mods here, just as in Sims 2: NRASS' Error Trap and Overwatch. (They run in the background and keep your game clean; even if you don't run much CC or mods, these are advisable.) Use "save as" rather than "save." Keep backup saves.

There are two current versions of the game, 1.67 and 1.69. 1.69 doesn't do much except make you use the launcher; if you want to stay on 1.67 it's probably easiest to get the Steam edition.

I got the news that my computer is running but whitout USB ports. So my friend is getting somewhere.

I have not made up my mind yet but the "onboard" graphics is good enough to runs The Sims 2 but if I'm going to do the Sims 3 I will need a proper GPU. A online store gave me this as a suggestion "MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX OC". It was not that pricy but I'm not sure if it's good.

If I go ahead and try The Sims 3 I would play it as "clean" as possible. That means: Whitout any CC if it's not mods that are very useful or very important to have (like the one you did mention). As I'm very traditional I will try to get the disc version, not the download version.

What will you say is the biggest difference between TS2 and TS3?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 8:59 PM
I run 3 on Windows 7 with all except K Perry on an about 7 year old PC now. It runs very well. I LOVE to build in 3!!!!!!!! We can build on very irregular sloped lots and I love to do that. I have built hundreds of lots in 3 and am never bored doing it.

This has all been discussed/debated up to the rafters here, but I think most can agree that the biggest/best differences/features for 3 are the open world and CASt. 3 does need some mods to run at its best, such as Nraas. If you plan to play with minimum specs for the game you may have problems with performance. 3 needs some mods and for many folks pretty good hardware to run well.

If you want to run it on a hail Mary setup it may not run well. Probably not. Others will need to weigh in on this.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 9:35 PM
My specs are in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=612482 (see post 11)
Field Researcher
#11 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 10:16 PM
You mentioned freely placing objects..

In the Sims 3, holding down the 'alt' key while placing or turning furniture allows for a lot more freedom in where your objects are going. No cheats needed!
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kylaaab
You mentioned freely placing objects..

In the Sims 3, holding down the 'alt' key while placing or turning furniture allows for a lot more freedom in where your objects are going. No cheats needed!

Oh, so that's how it works! well, then I did learn that secret. thank you!
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 11:10 PM
A 4GB Radeon 560 is a great entry level gaming graphics card. It's overkill for TS3, but it will play every modern game at decent settings at 1080p. I doubt you would regret buying one, if you are willing to spend that much. If you want to spend less, and don't mind buying used, see if you can find a used Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 or 950 for a handful of peanuts. They are less awesome nowadays, but more than powerful enough to make TS3 look as good as it can. If you don't want to spend anything at all, ask your friend to increase your graphics memory to at least 256MB (it's a BIOS setting) and fiddle with the graphics and resolution settings until you find something that works for you. Because the iGPU in your processor should be enough to make the game look good and run well at 720p and, at the very least, look decent and run well in 1080p.