Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 11:49 PM Last edited by Gurluas : 9th Jul 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Default Tame Deer
I have tamed a deer in another neighborhood and moved to this one to avoid the spontaneous teleports and similar issues.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=6047068

Currently I have tuned this deer to work as a pet, more or less.
She requires a pond to drink, she will not use horse items.

Tell me what you think about it.

Edit: fixed link
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 3:08 PM
Your link is badly messed up. You have the link address as the text and the keyword "deer" as the link. When you click on it, you go to "deer" instead of thesims3.com . When I try to copy it, "deer" comes up instead of the link.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 3:22 PM
What would be more useful is explaining to folks how you did it and how it works in-game, as most people are not people are not going to want to download a random household if this is possible to achieve themselves in-game.

Advertising your own creations is also kinda frowned upon - to prevent a string of scoldings, I offer this small one here so it's already done and others need not... along with the request for further information.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#4 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 6:50 PM
My guess is he used EA's debug cheats to edit the deer in CAS (it works with some older versions of twallan's Master Controller, too, possibly with AwesomeMod as well) and save the Sim. It's what I did, anyway. The deer can then be found in the Sim Bin like any other Sim (important: ∞ has to be selected as deer are technically "horses" but like puppies, foals or kittens they do not show up in their respective category). A heads up though: you will have to pick traits to be able to leave CAS, and that is impossible as there are no traits you can pick for deer. So you'll be very much stuck there unless you use mods to

* save your deer to the family bin, and
* add your deer to a family

Deer, on their own, are not handled well by the game. If you port a family with a deer the game will also simply remove it from the family.

Edit: If you want a playable raccoon in your game, btw, that is much easier as they're essentially cats with a custom fur shape. You can download a fully playable raccoon over at TSR ( http://www.thesimsresource.com/memb...ons/id/1128360/ ). It's a cat using EA's raccoon "body" so it's pretty much the real deal.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 11:20 PM Last edited by Gurluas : 10th Jul 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Actually both raccons and deers are in their own separate animal category.
They are not horses, they are classified as "Deer" by the game.

Does this link work better?
http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=6047068

As to how I did it, I used mastercontroller to add the Deer to my family.
Then I saved, and moved the family into another neighborhood.
The Deer would lose some of the automated interactions and the teleporting(They usually teleport away from a pen)
It is still limited but it is a start.

There are two main issues, there is no way to bathe the Deer, and there is no way for it to empty the bladders, the meters has to run out.
Also the fun meter is stuck at "0" permanently for some reason.

I would recommend using my deer as basis for your work instead of taming your own.
A lot of changes have to be done before the Deer works properly, such as giving it traits, give it favorites, giving it a proper name etc.

Also I've been wondering this:
Why don't you have a modding forum where one can discuss the mods, the internal functions of the game etc.
This is a modding site, yet the forum has no mod section, it is pretty odd. I had no idea where to place this, but considering it is a family and not a mod per se, I put it here.
Instructor
#6 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 12:18 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Gurluas!

What I think could work in a "quick and dirty" way is to extract the deer body shape and convert it to a foal outfit. Mind you, I'm not sure how to achieve this but I imagine it should be possible to do. You'd then have playable horse foal deer which would resolve most of the issues if you suspend aging for that Sim.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 1:38 PM
It would, except that it would not be a real deer.
Instead, what would be cool is to use our modding capabilities to enable some of the standard pet interactions for Deers and Raccons, enabling us to have the real deal.
Instructor
#8 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 1:53 PM
While I agree it doesn't seem anyone's interested in doing that; otherwise it would've been done already. :/ It's probably easier to do the outfit thing than the scripting involved to enable the real animals, so there might be a better chance of someone doing that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 2:16 PM
Actually that scripting is not too hard, they simply need to allow Deers and Raccoons to be able to use horse and cat objects.
I don't know scripting, but I have seen enough mods and I know enough about the Sim's system to know it is not too hard.
This keeps their original animations, their sounds etc.
Theorist
#10 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 5:23 PM
I've got a few deer households in my game, but without a human in the family the game deletes them, which sucks.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 8:38 PM
Deers works fine on houseboats, however, you need to edit the floorconstraints so you can add a pond.

However, keep in mind, Deers have TWO kinds of drink interactions, a "cosmetic" one, and one that fixes thirst and fills the hunger bar. The autonomous one is cosmetic.
Test Subject
#12 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 1:09 AM
Does someone know exactly how you get the deer as an active pet in a household? I used the "testingcheatsenabled true" cheat then shift+clicked on the deer but nothing comes up about adding it to the active household. Is there a mod or something as to how I can get a deer???
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 10:33 AM
I can't remember how I did it, just download the Deer I made and rename it/customize it. It's the real deal.
Test Subject
#14 Old 29th Apr 2015 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rockerduck
My guess is he used EA's debug cheats to edit the deer in CAS (it works with some older versions of twallan's Master Controller, too, possibly with AwesomeMod as well) and save the Sim. It's what I did, anyway. The deer can then be found in the Sim Bin like any other Sim (important: ‡ has to be selected as deer are technically "horses" but like puppies, foals or kittens they do not show up in their respective category). A heads up though: you will have to pick traits to be able to leave CAS, and that is impossible as there are no traits you can pick for deer. So you'll be very much stuck there unless you use mods to

Deer, on their own, are not handled well by the game. If you port a family with a deer the game will also simply remove it from the family.

Edit: If you want a playable raccoon in your game, btw, that is much easier as they're essentially cats with a custom fur shape. You can download a fully playable raccoon over at TSR ( http://www.thesimsresource.com/memb...ons/id/1128360/ ). It's a cat using EA's raccoon "body" so it's pretty much the real deal.

You can't edit it in create a sim
Test Subject
#15 Old 29th Apr 2015 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gurluas
Deers works fine on houseboats, however, you need to edit the floorconstraints so you can add a pond.

However, keep in mind, Deers have TWO kinds of drink interactions, a "cosmetic" one, and one that fixes thirst and fills the hunger bar. The autonomous one is cosmetic.

How did you get it
Test Subject
#16 Old 29th Apr 2015 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rockerduck
My guess is he used EA's debug cheats to edit the deer in CAS (it works with some older versions of twallan's Master Controller, too, possibly with AwesomeMod as well) and save the Sim. It's what I did, anyway. The deer can then be found in the Sim Bin like any other Sim (important: ‡ has to be selected as deer are technically "horses" but like puppies, foals or kittens they do not show up in their respective category). A heads up though: you will have to pick traits to be able to leave CAS, and that is impossible as there are no traits you can pick for deer. So you'll be very much stuck there unless you use mods to

Well instead if you find a raccoon in game and you press ctrl+shift+c than shift click the raccoon enter edit in create a sim and than save the sim
Theorist
#18 Old 30th Apr 2015 at 2:43 AM
Maybe it's the Ship Diner from Barnacle Bay? This is a very old thread that someone bumped to life so good luck if the OP answers!

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Theorist
#20 Old 30th Apr 2015 at 2:49 AM
Haha! No worries, it happens to all of us at one time or another.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Test Subject
#21 Old 27th Jun 2015 at 3:47 PM
I'm curious and very new to modding. Reading through this thread how would one go about actually making a pet deer? Like what would I need to download and edit?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 7:09 AM
Eh... I don't think I'd want to mess with an npc that is meant to be unplayable. I've read too many horror stories from Sims 2. Then again, I also live in a rural area where there are lots of deer. There's one doe that hangs around my place and has a cute little fawn. I saw the tiny fawn while I was driving to the shed to let in the goats and llamas.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Northern_Nightmare
I'm curious and very new to modding. Reading through this thread how would one go about actually making a pet deer? Like what would I need to download and edit?

This thread is an oldie but I've got a link that might be of some help:
I can't help you with how to mod deer but NexusMods has a mod for deer and raccoons as pets. Maybe you could use those deer or post over there to see if the creator (TizerisT) can help you out.
Theorist
#24 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Northern_Nightmare
??

Download this, it unlocks deer
http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/80/?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#25 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 3:04 AM
I wish the mod included the chance of someone getting poison oak from handling a deer. My mum got poison oak from handling and trying to care for a fawn that she found by the side of the road. Sometimes I refer to him as 'Poison Oak Bambie'.
Page 1 of 2