Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#126 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 8:17 AM
When I was a kid,I got spanked a lot,though I haven't been troublemaker at all.
It included being whipped with a wire and leather belt as far as I'm able to remember.
Some kids need physical discipline real badly,but the ones alike me rather listen to an admonition.
Advertisement
Scholar
#127 Old 13th May 2018 at 4:30 PM
it's child abuse isn't it?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Test Subject
#128 Old 16th May 2018 at 2:21 PM
I think it depends on the situation. I think if the child is ignorant of a situation they should be corrected with a sit down chat. Such as when I rode
my bicycle across the highway without looking.
If the child is malicious such as when I was a kid and pulled up my neighbor's vegetables because my brother and I did not like the old man.
Yes I got spanked. I knew what I was doing and expected my parents would punish me severely for it when they found out.

When my niece and nephew misbehaved my brother did not spank, he made them pick up rocks in buckets where his land had been newly graded
and pour them where they would lay down gravel later for a driveway.

Later on when I got caught speeding as a teen it upset me more to disappoint my dad and would have rather had a spanking than look at his
disappointment.

Growing up the worst form of punishment for me was parents taking things as
punishment. At some point I refused to take them back. One instance was they took
my gaming console and I refused it back and bought my own from Christmas money
my grandparents gave me. My thinking was that if someone can take what is yours
it truly was not given to you.
Mad Poster
#129 Old 16th May 2018 at 3:07 PM
If a child hit someone, is it really a good dicipline method to spank them? You're essentially telling them that it's not OK for them to hit someone, but it's OK for you as a parent to hit them. Imagine how confusing that's going to be for the kid.

Personally, I think it's a very bad idea to spank a child, no matter how you do it. I don't think it makes the kid respect the parents more, but maybe fear them a little - and fear is not the same as respect, even if they can sem similar. I think I voiced my opinion sometime earlier in this topic, so I won't do the lengthy version again now.

Most kids, if not completely tuned out from yelling or spanking or other forms of anger/annoyance-based methods, may get more out of having calm and reasoned conversations about why they shouldn't do something, and what they can do instead. Depending on their age (keeping the conversation on their level of understanding, of course - but even toddlers are smarter than you may think), a chat about the risks, and perhaps sitting down with the kid doing a "thought experiment" in a "what would happen if..." or "why shouldn't you..." or "how would you feel if someone did that to you" kind of way where you make the child do the thinking would be a much better way to deal with that. A child who is able to reason through a situation from a young age, not just being told what to do, would function better and probably also be more willing to listen to you. Kids are different from each other, of course, but I don't think spanking solves anything. Yelling also tends to be a bad way to dicipline kids, because after a while they tune it out. Of course, you can't always have that reasoned talk with them in the moment, sometimes you have to react fast if the kid does something bad or dangerous - but making room for such conversations as soon as possible after an incident (preferably as a preventative method before anything bad happens) may help for future dangerous or unfortunate situations. Most kids love talking and explaining, and they love asking "why?" so it's a good idea to exploit that curiosity while it lasts. If the child feels comfortable talking to you about their issues, they're also more likely to listen to you. If all they get is yelling and spanking, and if they get punished for everything they do, their trust is likely to disappear.

Other ways of punishing, like making the kid do chores instead of playing with their electronic devices, or losing privileges if they do something bad may be other alternative methods. Equally, if they get small rewards for doing something extra (perhaps not for every chore, though), It teaches the kid there are consequences of their actions - both the good and the bad. Only works if both parents follow through.

And yes, there are countries where spanking kids is illegal (I live in one of those countries). Thankfully, spanking isn't the only method to dicipline kids, and pretty much the worst method, too (not just my words - there has been plenty of scientific studies on this).

Page 6 of 6