Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 10:52 PM Last edited by autumnfoxx : 12th Jun 2012 at 8:53 PM. Reason: Problem fixed - solution posted for anyone else who needs it

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Sims 3 has stopped working crash - Windows 7 64 bit (FIXED)
Hi. This will be long as I want to give you full details as requested. I can no longer play "The Sims 3" after a recent patching. I receive a pop up "Sims 3 has stopped working" and it crashes to desktop. I use Avast, turn off real time scanning, and turn off all background programs. Video drivers are up-to-date. Direct X is up-to-date. Here is a run-through according to the wiki, and the steps I've taken to resolve the problem.

1) Computer Strong Enough?: My computer is a gaming machine and I've included the specs at the end of this post.

2) Step 2: Remove Custom Content: I had a ton. Everything from hacks to launcher files. So I deleted the \Mods\Packages\ folder, I deleted Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCCache\, and deleted all caches files under My Documents. Tested the game - Same error message - same crash (about 3 minutes in) Play mode. (It does not crash in CAS and so far I haven't had any crashes in build or buy.)

3) Step 3: Remove User Files: Renamed the Sims 3 folder in My Documents "Sims 3 Back Up". Tested the game. Same crash.

4) Did the "DEP" trick - no problems. Tested game - same crash.

Decided to do a full reinstall. I uninstalled following the steps in the wiki. Deleted all registry files. Used CC Cleaner. My games are digital downloads so I had to redownload them from Origin. Since they are all digital copies I had no choice but to install Origin first. Then I followed every step under the reinstall directions. Once all games were reinstalled, in order, I used the Super Patcher to patch them. Game installed fine, patched fine, but when I loaded up a new game - same result. "Sims 3 has stopped working". Crash. Always in play mode and within minutes.

I re-did the DEP trick after reinstalling and made sure it was linked to the correct file.

I always start the game using TS3W.exe

I tweaked the Options.ini file as suggested. Tested game. It loaded in windows mode with all tweaks applied. Same crash.

I'm at my breaking point. I've played Sims from the beginning, and I've had encountered many problems. All of them were solved doing the steps above. This time, however, I'm at a complete loss. Nothing is working. Your help is desperately needed and very much appreciated.

SPECS:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/11/2012, 17:40:59
Machine name: CMKEEFER-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P55A-UD3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU K 875 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8188MB RAM
Page File: 2408MB used, 13964MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 470
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06CD&SUBSYS_14723842&REV_A3
Display Memory: 4049 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1233 MB
Shared Memory: 2816 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: X226W-1920
Monitor Id: SPT2105
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0013.0142 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.13.142
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 5/15/2012 06:48:00, 18044224 bytes

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (Sound Blaster Audigy)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102&REV_00
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: P17.sys
Driver Version: ()
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: , 0 bytes

----

Description: Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1458A002&REV_1003
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6077 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 3/26/2010 06:30:58, 2307616 bytes

---

Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1458A002&REV_1003
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6077 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 3/26/2010 06:30:58, 2307616 bytes

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 489.6 GB
Total Space: 953.8 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device

---> Do your part <---
Support a free site today
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 6:34 PM Last edited by autumnfoxx : 12th Jun 2012 at 8:57 PM. Reason: Problem fixed - solution posted for anyone else who needs it
Problem FIXED! It was the darn DEP thing. I'm going to post this in case anyone else has this problem. The solution under help did not work for me, but there is another fix. So if you too have the DEP error problem, try this. So far it's worked for me.

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t...d-on-10-01-2012

Setting the instructions for DEP in Windows 7:

1. Go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance Settings.
2. Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab. Click on "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and press "Add." You will now add your Sims game, expansions and Stuff Packs to the DEP exception list. Copy-and-paste these "C:" locations in the spot where it says "File Name."

Sims 3 base game:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

World Adventures:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

High-End Loft Stuff:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Ambitions:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Ambitions\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Fast Lane Stuff:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Fast Lane Stuff\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Late Night:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Late Night\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Outdoor Living Stuff:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Outdoor Living Stuff\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Generations & Town Life Stuff & Pets:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Do the same for any future expansions/stuff packs.

3. Click OK. You'll have to restart the computer for this to take effect. It should stop the crashing.

The key here is to add ALL the exe files to the exemption list. Every single one it allows. Just the TSW.exe did not work for me. Apparently others have had this problem too. I really hope this helps somebody :-)

---> Do your part <---
Support a free site today
Test Subject
#3 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 7:38 PM
didnt work
Quote: Originally posted by autumnfoxx
Problem FIXED! It was the darn DEP thing. I'm going to post this in case anyone else has this problem. The solution under help did not work for me, but there is another fix. So if you too have the DEP error problem, try this. So far it's worked for me.

http://games4theworld.bestgoo.com/t...d-on-10-01-2012

Setting the instructions for DEP in Windows 7:

1. Go to Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance Settings.
2. Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab. Click on "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and press "Add." You will now add your Sims game, expansions and Stuff Packs to the DEP exception list. Copy-and-paste these "C:" locations in the spot where it says "File Name."

Sims 3 base game:

World Adventures:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

High-End Loft Stuff:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Ambitions:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Ambitions\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Fast Lane Stuff:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Fast Lane Stuff\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Late Night:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Late Night\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Outdoor Living Stuff:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Outdoor Living Stuff\Game\Bin\[Add ALL of the .exe files from this folders to the DEP exceptions!]

Generations & Town Life Stuff & Pets:

Do the same for any future expansions/stuff packs.

3. Click OK. You'll have to restart the computer for this to take effect. It should stop the crashing.

The key here is to add ALL the exe files to the exemption list. Every single one it allows. Just the TSW.exe did not work for me. Apparently others have had this problem too. I really hope this helps somebody :-)

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 12:00 PM
Hanna.Chatelain - Can you please make your own thread for your issues? It's possible your crashing has a different cause, and thus a different fix. Make sure you go through this to rule out the most common issues: Game Help:Sims 3 Game Problemwiki

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Banned
#5 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 12:02 PM
there should be no reason to have to restart the computer just because of a game. it is bad programing. thank god for modders who do a better job than the developers do.
Test Subject
#6 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 4:51 PM
Does anyone know how to do this for windows 8?