Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 4:20 PM Last edited by grumpy_otter : 21st Jun 2014 at 11:00 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I've tried a bunch of things--still jumpy
EDIT: I think I fixed it, but would still like any feedback if I missed something. When I took out all my content, did that reset all the graphics settings? Because I hadn't thought to look at them before--and they were all set to "high". When I put them down to medium, the game worked fine! At least for the five minutes I sat staring at it with my mouth hanging open. Do you think that's all i needed to do? lol

EDIT AGAIN: I've played it for a bit and, while not as bad, it is not quite up to par.

Ok, about a month ago, I noticed game slowdown occasionally. It would run fine so a while, then slow for a few minutes. I had no problems loading, and it wasn't terribly annoying, so I just put up with it.

Recently, it got much worse--the game loads, but when it goes into neighborhood OR lot view, it is jerky and slow. I tried restarting--continued.

I also had some issues with webpages occasionally freezing.

So then I started troubleshooting--here is what I have done:

I do not have any custom content, but I went ahead and did the procedure where I remove ALL my content (after backing it up) and started the game new.

I removed all my cache files.

According to the FAQ, I should not need any patches.

Then I figured it might be a problem with my computer, so I did these things:

deleted all unused programs
ran cleanup files and cleanup system files
did a cache & cookies clean for all browsers
ran defrag
ran antivirus--all fine
physical cleanup of computer innards and fans

Did a restart--Sims 2 still doing the same jerky thing, but computer working just dandy. I've occasionally had lag problem for lots before--never a neighborhood.

I don't know anything else to try--any ideas?

I have the Sims 2 Christmas base game with all packs except Celebration stuff.
My computer specs have always been fine, but I did do the dxdiag if you need any of that info--just wasn't sure exactly what you need to look at.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 11:31 AM
Check the harware - memory not properly connected, power supply not working; dvd player not properly connected - all things that I experienced over time. A computer expert has actually once decided to format my pc - and in the meantime it was the power supply. If there's nothing wrong with your software, it can't hurt to check all the hardware.
Test Subject
#3 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 3:23 PM
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 3:32 PM
Quote:
According to the FAQ, I should not need any patches.

You still need any patch for stand alone EP's you have, Tri packs do not need to be patched.
Did you update you video card drivers just before this started.

And yes setting your settings down to med. could be all you needed to do.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158