Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 9:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
[Tutorial]on how to reduce lag!!
Hello my Friends!

I am Darklies The New Member and im here to fix your lag issues

**HERE IS SOLUTION**

Ok, lets Start. As you have noticed, many People suffering from (Lag, stuttering, slow game response, low performance, etc) due um a lot of reasons
It does not matters if they install WA Expansion Pack or not. Nor it matters if they install any Custom Content (CC).

Is the fact that there is a way for you, the Simmers, who don't love lagged games, and want to do something in order to enjoy a smoother gameplay, if is possible!

I am here to offer you a help for solution to this issue most Simmers have with their slow The Sims 3 games!

WHY WE GET LAG? WHAT CAUSES IT?
The Sims 3 is a game which, unlike older games in the series, has the Open Neighborhood System. Thus, the game, except your family you play with, must play with the whole town's population as well (AI, Story Progression Mode). Because of this, some players may experience lag, and especially if they have normal / moderate / non-End-gaming computers.

But even the players with end-game computers (end-game = means = strong computer), may get lag as well, especially if they install the WA Expansion Pack + / or some Custom Content. I am one of them!!

Ok, lets see why I got lag in my game: I have installed the World Adventures Expansion Pack, and thus, I have downloaded so much CC from various sites on internet, and this, bad news, caused a major lag to my game!!! And even before I install all those, my base game was lagging (a bit, which was unnoticeable). Thus, I have to mention that all my video settings are in maximum and I never wanted to sacrifice the game quality for more game performance!

This Guide aims to help you getting higher game performance, speed and FPS, WITHOUT even toughing, sacrificing or changing your favorite game's Video Settings at all!
Thanks to this guide, I have MAXED all the Graphic Settings and at same time my game is SMOOTHER than I even should imagine!

+not so important step [YOU CAN SKIP IT IF U WANT]
*unskippable step

STEPS OF HOW TO SOLVE/ELIMINATE/LIMIT YOUR LAG:
--------------------------------------------------------------
---------
**Step 1: Download the following 3 softwares: 1) Advanced System Care (which heals your computer) and can be downloaded from here: http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html , 2) GameBooster (which closes all unnecessary Windows/Microsoft progresses while playing) and can be downloaded from here: http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html , 3) FPS Limiter 0.2 (which sets a FPS limit to your game, which your video card to run without getting overhelmed, and thus, with better performance) and can be found on a lot of site just search for it in google

Download those 3 softwares, and after you have downloaded all of them, go to Step 2.
---------
++Step 2: Install the Advanced System Care software. And then run it. Update it with latest updates. And then, Scan your system with it and it will repair automatically any errors it may find in your System and in your Registry. This is critical as stable and clean system can lead to a smooth gameplay. After that, go to Step 3.
---------
**Step 3:
3.a) Install the FPS Limiter 0.2 by following the sub-steps bellow:
3.b) Unpack the files of FPS Limiter to a folder. Unpack them all into ONE folder, together, and keep permanently that folder somewhere safe in your hard driver. If you are a Windows Vista user, keep this folder out of Program Files or it may not work well!!!
3.c) Double click the java application (FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar), and then click "Search Executible"
3.d) Find the .exe for either the Sims 3 base game or the Sims 3 World Adventures. Usually they are in
My Computer/C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Game/Bin (TS3W.exe), or, if you have the expansion, then, Sims 3 World Adventures/Game/Bin (TS3EP01.exe).
3.e) In the FPS Limiter, Set the FPS to what ever you want (30-60 FPS is good, 30 is recommended for slow computer and 60 for fast ones)
3.f) Then Click 'Create Bat'.
Now the FPS Limiter will generate/make an new, ugly file called Sims3WA.limited or something, which can be found in the folder of the FPS Limiter itself. Make a shortcut of this new file to your desktop. From now, you must play the game using this new file's shortcut. Not use the original shortcut of the game!. The original shortcut of the game can be used only only for updating your game and for using the game launcher (uploads, downloads, etc). But, for playing the game, just run this new file the Limiter created for you. Make a shortcut of the new file to your desktop. Play the game using this new file. That is all!!!

Optionally, You can do anything with this file's shortcut, like to rename it to a more proper name like "Sims 3" and make it have the Icon that of TS3 or World Adventures.

There you go! you now have a pretty Icon you can now use (which bypasses the launcher) that will make your game run at a nice, smooth, limited FPS.
---------
Now your game is ready! Follow the following 3 steps below for how to set ready your computer and play!!!
---------
++Step 4: Close your internet connection, so you safely can close all your Anti-Viruses and Firewalls!!! Close all your Firewalls and Anti-Viruses!!! All those internet-protection programs can eat a lot of PC resources, which leaves no enough resources for the game to run fast! Then go to Step 5.
---------
**Step 5: Install and Run the GameBooster. Press GO TO GAME MODE. It will close all your unnecessary hidden/background Processes (that are automatically starting with Windows when you start the computer but you don't need them while playing Sims 3! They eat valuable PC resources!). Go to Step 6 now.
---------
**Step 6: Run the game via the new file's shortcut you created in the step 3! Running the file will NOT immediately run the game. First it will pop out a Command Window. Don't tough it! Is the FPS Limiter. Have patience as it takes some seconds. Shortly after the pop up of the Command Window, the game runs, skipping the Game Launcher!
---------

ENJOY THE GAME!!!

NOTES:
1)Each time you want to play the game, just repeat from step 4 to 6 and enjoy the game! Simple! And when you exit/finish Sims 3 game, close the Command Window of the FPS Limiter. Then, you must run again the GameBooster and return from GAME MODE to NORMAL MODE! Simple!.

i hope it helped A LOT

And i hope i get rid of my fricking shyness......... have fun if it worked
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 10:07 PM
This sounds good but is it any good at fixing build mode lagging. This thread will tell you what I mean?

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...1&goto=lastpost
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 10:33 PM
And don't forget combining packages (Game Help:Package File Lagwiki), downloading fixes for crappy broken EA world routing, essential mods including Overwatch, nuking crappy memory spam and accompanying bloat, and everything else in the Game Help:Intermittent Freezeswiki FAQ.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 10:38 PM
Default ....
Quote: Originally posted by Fishyman
This sounds good but is it any good at fixing build mode lagging. This thread will tell you what I mean?

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...1&goto=lastpost

try it out it shall work
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 10:41 PM
Default ....
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
And don't forget combining packages (Game Help:Package File Lagwiki), downloading fixes for crappy broken EA world routing, essential mods including Overwatch, nuking crappy memory spam and accompanying bloat, and everything else in the Game Help:Intermittent Freezeswiki FAQ.

i tried those but for some reason it didnt work
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 10:53 PM
Well, freezing and lagging has various causes - it's not a "one nail, one hammer" kinda thing. The things you've listed above will help for people who experience lagging at least in part because their computers are not strong enough to play TS3 smoothly. The things I mentned will help improve lagging when it is caused by too many package files, corrupted CC, routing problems, and so on.

There's no way to work out which causes are contributing to lag, just by looking - the only way is to try out all the possible solutions, and see what works for you. I'm glad you've found the solutions which work for you; I posted so that others would know that a different combination of solutions may be needed to fix their lagging problems.

It's also worth pointing out that build mode is much less resource-intensive than live mode, so if you're experiencing lags in build mode but no lags in live mode, then resource-centric solutions like shutting down background processes probably won't help a great deal (though they won't hurt at all, either).

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Well, freezing and lagging has various causes - it's not a "one nail, one hammer" kinda thing. The things you've listed above will help for people who experience lagging at least in part because their computers are not strong enough to play TS3 smoothly. The things I mentned will help improve lagging when it is caused by too many package files, corrupted CC, routing problems, and so on.

There's no way to work out which causes are contributing to lag, just by looking - the only way is to try out all the possible solutions, and see what works for you. I'm glad you've found the solutions which work for you; I posted so that others would know that a different combination of solutions may be needed to fix their lagging problems.

It's also worth pointing out that build mode is much less resource-intensive than live mode, so if you're experiencing lags in build mode but no lags in live mode, then resource-centric solutions like shutting down background processes probably won't help a great deal (though they won't hurt at all, either).

no my friend try it out then argue with me ok ......
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 11:08 PM
I don't need to try it out, my game doesn't lag - mostly because of the routing fixes, Overwatch, and velocitygrass' memory tool. As I said, YMMV.

Test Subject
#9 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 7:19 PM
Everything about this does just as it says for me EXCEPT when I click 'Create Bat'...absolutely nothing happens... o.o
In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 3:26 PM
Thanks for sharing the info. But I gotta say, there's a reason why some of these information and steps are not listed in the Freeze wiki FAQ page. Our solutions must be universally applicable to everyone, after all.

Firstly, all these suggestions to use 3rd party utilities to turn off background processes each time before you run an application or a game, is totally superflous.
If you have unnecessary background process, why is it even running at all in the first place? Turn it off permanently by disabling them from auto-starting. There - problem solved and issue nipped in the bud.

Advanced System Care is a similar utility to CCleaner. So if you already have one, you don't need the other. Though, at times, I do like to use one after the other - their engine is different enough that one always find something the other skips. But as usual, I don't accept all their suggestions at face value, always verify if the report returned is valid or a false positive. You also should not run this application each time you play Sims, you'd do more harm than good. Once a month or fortnightly (if you surf or download stuff a lot) should be sufficient. If you accrue so much crap to have to clear things more often than that, it is time to take a hard look at your activities (what you do) and your habits (how you do them), and cultivate a good PC maintenance schedule.

Secondly, turning off Internet connection is not practical for some.
Some like to chat on IMs/Skype/IRC while they play, or surf the 'net. For me, my PC also serve as the family's media server and my Calibre Library. If I inform my family that they cannot watch vids while I'm playing Sims, I can assure you, war would ensue like you haven't seen before.
You also don't need to shut down the whole Internet connection, if simply adding the Sims3LauncherW & TS3W executable to be blocked in your Firewall program would do just as well. Why use a shovel when you can use a spoon to eat icecream? There's no need to go over the top.

And last but not least, the most important ingredient of all that you missed. The system must be equipped to run Sims 3 and all its addons to date. Most of the crashings, freezes and lags issues I read about can be attributed to weak systems. That is, if they still have freeze and lag after they've done all the steps whiterider suggested and those which are in the already linked Intermittent Freeze wiki above.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 9:12 PM
Default .....
Quote: Originally posted by Atrinosia
Everything about this does just as it says for me EXCEPT when I click 'Create Bat'...absolutely nothing happens... o.o

IT CREATE .BAT FILE INSIDE THE FPSLIMITER FOLDER
Test Subject
#12 Old 19th Jun 2012 at 3:49 PM
Wow Darklies I feel bad for you because you tried to do a good thing and got virtually beat up. I appreciate your effort but the other post made some good points. Please don't be discouraged. Thanks for all of the tips and info. If it wasn't for post like these I would be completely lost when problems arrive in my game. Honestly I get more info from fellow simmers than EA Techs. On my way to get Overwatch
Test Subject
#13 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 5:44 AM
Can somebody make a tutorial for Mac? My game is soooo laggy, I can't stand it! Pleease
Test Subject
#14 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 5:46 AM
btw I've tried to download CC cleaner but I have to make an Apple ID and I really want to skip the tedious stuff
Site Helper
#15 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 7:00 PM
Try the rest of the tips in Whiterider's post here. ( http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...917&postcount=3)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 6:09 AM
Thank you @Darklies and others for these tips
Field Researcher
#17 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 7:03 AM
AmyWilson ; how were you able to install the game on your Mac without an Apple ID? Every time I install new software on mine, I have to put in my password. It's for security. How were you able to bypass that?
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Jul 2012 at 8:40 AM
Default System Requirement
Would you people shut up about system requirement, if you would know a thing about computers you wouldn't always bring that up, understand that not everyone are stupid or clueless about IT.

FYI I'm playing Skyrim, GTA IV and Max Payne maxed out at the moment, now can you bring system requirement up to my face and everyone's face having the same issue and that Sims 3 is still lagging? I don't think so, if our computer was low-end we would know the problem wouldn't we?

We're looking for solutions here and Darklies is trying to find some, and it's the best advices I've seen so far on the internet, I should be able to double max out Sims 3 with my system so lowering graphics is not a solution at all.
The game has its flaws like every other games, it doesn't always come to PC's specs.

Thanks Darklies for trying, Gamebooster has always worked for me in the past so it might help someone else, I'm trying a few things here and hope something works because Sims 3 lagging is more than abnormal.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#19 Old 14th Jul 2012 at 9:45 AM
This tutorial is a rehash of our Wiki article, with some extras thrown in which I deemed unnecessary and with others that won't work for ALL situations which is why those instructions are Not in the wiki.

Everybody is welcome to share their findings, and in fact I would love it if more people would contribute to the Wiki.
Meeting System requirements is essential to rule out hardware issues. If the system is sufficiently above and beyond the minimum requirements, and can play all those new games stated, then hardware issues can be ruled out and we can troubleshoot elsewhere - like routing and bad cc, etc...and move on from hardware. Essentially, the freezes and lag won't go away 100% due to the coding, but we can alleviate it somewhat with mods and smart system maintenance.

You think people know requirements before they purchase a weak laptop with the intention of playing Sims? We've been telling and educating people that IGPs don't cut it since Sims 2 days. And it is still happening today. They claimed "but the system is new! I just purchase it yesterday!" What does purchasing it yesterday matter if the hardware is not equipped to run it?

If anyone has new findings and want to share, by all means. The Sims community work via collaboration. But search our wiki first and then add your findings there. If no article is found, then create one. But don't go around telling the community that "I found this great fix!", when we have had it documented for months or even years earlier.
Test Subject
#20 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 2:04 PM
Default It wont work!!
Please help me. I've done everything as described above. And it does not work .. I get the ugly file on my desktop, but it will not open no matter what I do? So I can not play the game via the file. What should I do?
Site Helper
#21 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 1:58 PM
Reread Post 3 (http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...917#post3829917 if you don't want to scroll up.) Try -everything- that Whiterider suggested. That should help, too.

We really aren't set up to troubleshoot the FPS limiter. Sorry.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 25th Jul 2012 at 8:00 AM
Thanks for the tips, Darklies! I prefer CCleaner and using the task manager, but I will try the FPS limiter. I have found that Sims 3 simply does not like package files. I have over 40 combined CC package files that are about 200 MB each (like the tutorial suggests) but I still get ridiculous lag starting up and at random times (build mode and CAS as well). If I remove the packages, then the lag completely disappears even with every expansion and stuff pack installed. Combining the packages as well into 600 MB each and even into one big package did not improve speed. I can't let go of my Lemonleaf, NewSea, and TSR CC or the few store items I acquired. The packages and sims3pack files are "healthy" according to custard and the dashboard.

I started using Twallan's mods such as story progression, master controller, and overwatch - which did improve speed as I forced every family to be limited to one child each and kept the population under 100 Sims. I would delete 50 homeless Sims and Pets from City Hall daily but they kept re-spawning and the register mod is quite the headache after you notice you deleted all the bartenders accidently... again. I downgraded to CC smaller worlds since Hidden Springs was way too laggy and it helped a lot as well. I don't play as much anymore because of the hassle (I find it boring to play without my CC). And as you said, lowering the specs does not help the lag. I know some people report a difference after removing half or all of the trees in a world. I plan on doing a clean install and cutting out all of the stuff packs and WA (it may help) after I buy Supernatural. I second JDFS; Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 look and run amazing on my PC versus the Xbox 360 versions. Another tip is to not use anything from the Exchange as it will seriously blow up and splatter your game. The lag felt after installing Showtime is mutually felt across every Sims 3 website.

I personally prefer forums over wikis when it comes to issues like these. I've read the wiki and the threads assume that your problem will be fixed by the time you are done reading it.
Test Subject
#23 Old 5th Aug 2012 at 7:41 PM
I want to say thank you. I'd done everything listed by YMMV, but your fixes are what are address my issues. I play the Sims 3 on my laptop, and the FPS Limiter is really what I needed due to The Sims 3 trying to render as fast as it can. The other things are nice as well.
Site Helper
#24 Old 5th Aug 2012 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by flerp

I personally prefer forums over wikis when it comes to issues like these. I've read the wiki and the threads assume that your problem will be fixed by the time you are done reading it.

I was going to stay out of this, because Darklies was trying to help. But the reason the wiki assumes that the problem will be fixed by the time you actually do all of the steps is because most of the time the problem really does get solved by one of the steps in the wiki. If it doesn't get solved, you have a special set of circumstances. Then you have the forum here to post in.

Posting in this thread about how you solved a lag problem, and repeating things that are found in the wiki will eventually end up with a thread that is 30 pages long. When was the last time you read the entirety of a 30 page thread when you were looking for answers? Isn't it handier to have most of the answers consolidated into one page?

But Thank you Darklies for trying to help, and for getting information from the wiki into a spot where more people will actually read and try it.

Test Subject
#25 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 5:02 PM
Thanks, i had downloaded the FPS previously, but was thrown off by the german, never mind the begrudgers, you have my vote for good deed of the day.
Locked thread | Locked by: ellacharmed Reason: Pls read FAQ.
Page 1 of 2