Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#76 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 1:04 PM
I have been looking forward to Seasons ever since it was announced, so I bought it, and 5 minutes into play ended up closing it after a "wtvf!?" moment. Ok, you're in your yard, with a flimsy top and shorts on, and it snows and freezes. You don't have an outdoor outfit to your name, so what do you do? a) Go inside your house and keep warm or b) stand in your yard shivering until the grim reaper comes? I just don't believe it Is this another case of "play the game EA's way" where they were so keen to make us set up the outfits correctly that they removed the simple alternative of getting sims to autonomously go inside?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Instructor
#77 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 1:16 PM
It sounds like the winter weather is really affecting people's games; for example if you have City Living (I think), Sims still play basketball in their athletic wear and freeze to death. In Get to Work, Sims arrive at restaurants without umbrellas in the rain, and in their party clothes during the snow, so they're wet/frozen. It seems like they didn't test it with other expansions fully, or just focused their time and attention elsewhere.
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 1:37 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but sims can sing Mayzie Grobe in holidays
Field Researcher
#79 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 2:23 PM
My sim (Alexander Goth) was blue in the face and almost died. He was in winter clothes lol.

I am obsessed with the calendar. <3

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Scholar
Original Poster
#80 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 2:47 PM
Someone has set up a food stall right outside my restaurant, that's not gonna look too good for my business.
Scholar
Original Poster
#81 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:01 PM
I'm kind of disappointed with the sky, its the middle of the day and this is the island real estate area of Winderburg and it's pouring and the sky looks blue.

This is summer and it rains literally everyday here, and i'm forgetting what the sun looks like.

EDIT: OK My worse fear has come true,

There are NO Rain Clouds in the Sky!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#82 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:10 PM
Oh no This is pretty basic stuff and how hard can it be to swap out the skydome?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#83 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:12 PM
^Hm... I've seen some screenshots where the sky looks overcast when it's raining. It makes me wonder if this is like The Sims 3, where a lot of the time when it rains or snows the sky is clear or at least not past partly cloudy with the sun shining for some reason. =/ It always drives me up a wall. And it's just weird seeing people posting pictures of snowing scenes with the sun shining and blue skies and no one is going "Wait, what?".

Sunshine rain/snow are a real thing IRL, I've seen them both happen, but they are not common, not as common as in video games!

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
dodgy builder
#84 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:15 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:28 PM.
There was some setting for how you wanted your rain to be. I wanted both rain and thunder, so I rushed through it. There could be an option to turn it off as well.

Edit: Yes, you can turn rain off
Scholar
Original Poster
#85 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:17 PM
Current weather says Heavy Rain - Warm, and just now checked all of the regions of Winderburg and its exactly same, look up and you will have no problem finding the sun.
Field Researcher
#86 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:46 PM
We def. needed more winter clothing.

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Field Researcher
#87 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 3:57 PM
I'm in Brindelton Bay and I've seen everything from super dark skies for thunderstorms, to cloudy grey overcast, to light rain and sun. I suspect what players are going to see will depend on which world you're in since the guru's mentioned that the weather effects would be different in different worlds. There's probably an element of random chance as well.

Personally, I've only played around a bit in summer and I'm loving it so far. I love that the beehive is included in this pack (I found it very wtf that it was in the supernatural pack last time around), I love the blooming trees, and gardening overhaul. The best thing so far is that I can set the hot and cold weather outfits in CAS and have it include the ridiculous amount CC I've downloaded without having to go into the Sims 4 Studio and edit tags for each one.
Scholar
Original Poster
#88 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Silly Merricat
The best thing so far is that I can set the hot and cold weather outfits in CAS and have it include the ridiculous amount CC I've downloaded without having to go into the Sims 4 Studio and edit tags for each one.

Sims4Studio now has a batch fix for that, it will set your CAS stuff either Hot or Cold Weather, but I don't recommend it, it's far from perfect and you will get a fair bit of your CC incorrectly categorized when its finished.
Scholar
#89 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims_Lover
We def. needed more winter clothing.

I thought that too. Then I went and switched households and I swear suddenly there were all these outfits i didnt see before. I swear my game somehow hides content on me.
Field Researcher
#90 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 4:27 PM
When the game says "Cloudy" or "Partly cloudy" it doesn't mean you'll see actual clouds in the sky, it means a fog will obscure the sun. lul
Top Secret Researcher
#91 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79

I thought that too. Then I went and switched households and I swear suddenly there were all these outfits i didnt see before. I swear my game somehow hides content on me.

Bad game! Bad! Bad! *smacks game on nose with newspaper*
Scholar
#92 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 5:46 PM Last edited by Apsalar : 23rd Jun 2018 at 6:07 PM.
There are no effects rings on the water on the ground or even puddles when it rains - they managed to get water rings for the pool and water, so why not at least puddles? Doesn't make any sense. Now that I've noticed it, I can't unsee it. It really bothers me. There's a nice animation effect when the sims walk in the rain and water bounces off them walking that they could have used for the ground, and they already have the animation effect for the pools that they could use for the puddles. Is this expansion even finished?!

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Theorist
#93 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 6:24 PM
I just created a straw poll to see what everyone thinks of Seasons. It's HERE if you have an opinion.
Forum Resident
#94 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
I'm kind of disappointed with the sky, its the middle of the day and this is the island real estate area of Winderburg and it's pouring and the sky looks blue.

This is summer and it rains literally everyday here, and i'm forgetting what the sun looks like.

Hm, I suspect it's a bug. All the relevant weather XMLs seem to suggest it shouldn't happen unless the sky is overcast.
Test Subject
#95 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 7:38 PM
sad to see a lot of ancient good mods die ..many of these were good its not like we can stay on old updates then we would miss out on toddlers etc ..just wish the modders that come to make mods would stay for the long haul we have lost a few good ones over the countless updates ..sad ..I understand life and all but years and no update ..somebody take these mods and update them I think after a set amount of time there should be a rule to allow others to take over ..
meaning if your mods are on the site (taking up space and most likely cant be used ) for longer then a year then it should have right to be passed onto any willing modder to fix and update to be used once again .. DESPITE the creators rule/right its on the site the site should have higher right to pass the mod to another especially if its taking space and cant be used ...Plus if another modder can fix it the mod will be then usable..
it is HIGHLY confusing getting mods (while i ADORE this site to pieces) sometimes getting mods can be a pain when you can't tell what "could" work I mean its on the site thankfully stating that its old -_- then why keep it ??? Most everyone is updated to the latest patch those that are not ...well that be ..odd...
fix these mods take the old ones down if they dont work the modder apparently doesnt want to fix them ..
Scholar
#96 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pendora696
sad to see a lot of ancient good mods die ..many of these were good its not like we can stay on old updates then we would miss out on toddlers etc ..just wish the modders that come to make mods would stay for the long haul we have lost a few good ones over the countless updates ..sad ..I understand life and all but years and no update ..somebody take these mods and update them I think after a set amount of time there should be a rule to allow others to take over ..
meaning if your mods are on the site (taking up space and most likely cant be used ) for longer then a year then it should have right to be passed onto any willing modder to fix and update to be used once again .. DESPITE the creators rule/right its on the site the site should have higher right to pass the mod to another especially if its taking space and cant be used ...Plus if another modder can fix it the mod will be then usable..
it is HIGHLY confusing getting mods (while i ADORE this site to pieces) sometimes getting mods can be a pain when you can't tell what "could" work I mean its on the site thankfully stating that its old -_- then why keep it ??? Most everyone is updated to the latest patch those that are not ...well that be ..odd...
fix these mods take the old ones down if they dont work the modder apparently doesnt want to fix them ..

Sometimes mods do get updated by other modders on the comment section of the mod, even after a long time
if old outdated mods would have got removed, like you're suggesting, how would anyone be able to get them updated (like you're also suggesting)?
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 8:31 PM
Second day playing and I'm still in Summer, and there's been a lot of rain. But I actually don't mind it! Aside from a few flaws..

- The lack of rain clouds as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it doesn't put me off too much but it'd be nice to see.
- Poor pop-up vendors always have a sorry look on their face. I imagine their moodlets and motives are heavily in the red as they're having to stand outside in the rain all day and aren't counted as sheltered despite the little hut!
- I would've thought townies would've avoided outdoor activities more in the rain. Walking around with their umbrella out? Sure! But I still see many sad looking, wet townies sat at picnic benches with a bunch of food.
- One of the Sims in my family keeps going outside to mop the bloody floors when it rains, just leave the puddles be!

I'm looking forward to playing with the other Seasons but so far, I'm not disappointed. Although I can agree with some who say this feels more like a "game pack" than an "expansion pack". I'm still waiting for something to really "wow" me.
Field Researcher
#98 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim

There is variation in the clouds and effects when raining. It's not the same every time thankfully. I am surprised you didn't get a rainbow after that! I've seen a rainbow already and it's stunning!
Instructor
#99 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Oh no This is pretty basic stuff and how hard can it be to swap out the skydome?

I have really weird, mixed feelings about this pack, based on what I've seen.

For me? Been looking into it and personally the part I was most interested in was the Flower Arranging because it sounded like they had effects very very similar to a suggestion I made ages ago for such a skill. Sure enough, from what I've seen they took in every suggested effect I'd posted for that skill. (haven't seen one for forgetting a relationship, other than that they all seem to be there) Aside from that though, the rest of the effects are all moodlets. There's like one effect I haven't seen someone figure out yet that could be neat (Timeless or something?), but for the most part it's like either it was suggested in my post or it's a moodlet. I understand that sometimes coming up with unique effects is difficult and padding it to some degree with moodlets is inevitable, but it seems padded 75% with them.

On one hand I think it's great that this is the second time I see evidence heavily implying that when suggestions are posted, they listen. It seems very much plausible they read my suggestion and it in creating that skill´'s concept, and it makes me wanna pop out more suggestions. It's not just my personal suggestions either, since apparently a lot of people were pushing for a calendar of some kind. It all suggests that if a suggestion catches the team's eye or has enough support, it can and may get in, and that's cool. On the other hand, it's sort of bothersome to see that it feels like they copypasted those suggestions and then couldn't be bothered to expand upon them much. The have the effects I suggested for example, but beyond that they just added moodlets. (and potentially that Timeless one) They seem very content with just falling back on moodlets....Moodlets and money, since the sell prices seem obscene.

I look at this EP and to me it honestly does seem like one of the better EPs for Sims 4 (not that that says much), but at the same time what's perplexing is how one area can feel well done and then another can just feel completely, inexcusably neglected. It's like they needed the fans to say "do something like this," and if no suggestions were made in a given area (textures, weather effects) then lo and behold it's a weakpoint of the pack because they couldn't be assed to bother or simply couldn't think of anything to do. And on another note, in the past it was always argued animations are expensive and that's why we see less stuff. Here though? It seems like the animation work of this pack - surprisingly - is perfectly sound. I haven't seen a choppy animation or something that felt lazy or unneccesarily recycled yet. However, now suddenly we've got texture work that just seems ridiculously lazy (mud puddle) or a lack of scripting for some areas that could've been better if they just had a little more scripting and effort put in. (lightning powers actually doing something and letting you electrocute other Sims, for example, or some little hang-ups with the new interactions like snowball fight) Bad textures have happened before, but considering how pivotal textures are for a pack of this style and how people demand good looking weather effects far more than having a good looking ball pit, it just seems ridiculous that they neglected the textures and weather effects this much.

At the end of the day, I guess it's a weird feeling in the sense that I would give the team an A for listening to the newer fan requests on this one and the actual implementation of those requests isn't shabby either, but in terms of their own creativity, their ability to actually expand on those fan ideas or their ability to recreate past features without cutting out 50% of their content, there's still absolutely something left to be desired. It's just a very bittersweet feeling where I think the Sims team does absolutely deserve credit for listening to fans and reading suggestions, but we're still left asking "is it worth it" just because it's already a given that other pre-existing features go MIA or get poorly done. Kind of a shame to see things go down that way, and once again it just leaves me thinking why can't we have both? Team seems willing and eager when it comes to fan suggestions, but clearly something holds back the scope of the packs regardless. I'm sure they think they already make enough profit with the budget/effort exhibited, just wished companies remembered their purpose is the service/product and not just cold hard cash by any means neccesary.
Field Researcher
#100 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 10:17 PM
Man, it feels frivolous to mention right after such an eloquent post, but I love that there's a Simlish version of "Cruel Summer" on the new radio station.
Page 4 of 9