Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 2:58 AM
Default Favorite things about Sims 4?
Decided to just start a general Sims 4 discussions post because why not? So anyways I want you guys to tell me your top 5 favorite things about Sims 4. Please note that this is favorite things, not things you hate about the game so refrain from coming here just to complain please. Thank you.

My top 5 favorite things about Sims 4:
-Quicker and Simplified Build Mode.
-The New Features like lot traits, selfies and photos being made to screenshots when you take them, and CAS mechanics. (Though wish I could find a mod where I can choose what pose/expression my sims do in their selfies (^_^)" XD)
-Mods seem easier to install even the mods that add animations.
-The map system with how their are different biomes so to say for each world you play in and you can even travel from one to the other.
-Better and faster gameplay (i.e. Sims 3 would lag a lot and take forever, this one does not for me.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 1:02 PM
Travelling between worlds, Flexible CAS, Intuitive Buy Mode, Modding possibilities, and the gallery.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#3 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 1:47 PM
Create-A-Sim, definitely.
I like that I can really alter the shape of my sims now. If I want a sim with a 'lightbulb' shape, I can have one, or just give them wide hips.
And all that without having to get mods for it. Though there are mods that add a tiny bit more variety into CAS.

Woohoo
Odd as it may appear, I do like how bed Woohoo was altered in this game.
It goes away from the cartoony way they did it in Sims 2, and even Sims 3 was still a tad cartoony.
Now, it's just lumps moving under a cover, and even the romantic music during is kinda cute. (Also, as someone's screenshot showed, you can get kicked in the face...)

Skills
Okay, I don't like how EVERYTHING is a skill now... but I love that three different instruments are available from the get-go. (Including a violin! That used to be Sim Store in Sims 3...)
And kids can play instruments, too! Granted, you need to buy the kids' instruments, but they can still play and learn the skill.
That always bugged me in Sims 3; a lot of adults playing an instrument say they started as a child, so why couldn't kids do it in the game? (Thanks "Children Can" series mod!)
Though I was a bit miffed that I can't write certain book types without the right emotion... if my sim has to be romantic to write a romance book, I'm more inclined to think it's a trashy erotic novel.

Toddlers
I like what they did with them.
Lots of different skills to learn, which means you might spend more time with the sim in that stage. Instead of just making sure to potty, talk, and walk, boom, become a kid, you can let them get better at walking by moving around on their own... Have them entertain themselves in ways that give skills like imagination, they can technically interact with a lot more things than before... Now, if only they had not left adult-to-child hair conversions up to the modders...
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 4:02 PM
I like the gender identity/expression options they added in that patch some time ago. I wish that update could have come to The Sims 3.

I like the way Winter is done in the game. One can talk about the lack of snow depth issue all day long, and I agree that is an unforgivable issue. However, the lack of snow depth aside, they did something in TS4 Seasons that they couldn't do in previous games - actually try for the winter aesthetic past bare trees and snow. Flowers go away for the winter, the leaves of non-tree plants either fall off or turn brown/dormant. The grasses and similar plants turn brown. The terrain grass even dulls.

I don't know why such detail was put into The Sims 4 of all things and not The Sims 3, which was much more detail oriented. *sigh*

Additionally, I like the calendar and the customizable holidays. That doesn't mean that I like that the holidays are just checklists of tasks, but I do like everything else about the system. The best thing is that no holidays are required and all can be deleted and replaced or just left off, and all of them can be named whatever. I could get so snarky here, but I won't - it's a nice way to let a lot of people be happy.

Also, those decorations. Lit wreathes and garlands. I'm kind of a sucker for that kind of stuff, and have been sad to see that TS3 conversions have not converted the lit part. =(

Brindleton Bay. I like the world. I hate that it is a limited, closed The Sims 4 world that is mostly decorations, but it is a great concept for a world.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 9:07 PM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 20th Sep 2018 at 11:34 PM.
I like Sims 4 because I made my first Sims 4 trait mod. I never got as far as trait mods in Sims 3, just XML tuning mods.
I'm learning how to make other mods using Mod Constructor V3.
The Sims 4 Studio looks like an very good tool for making mods of objects. I'm going to learn how to use that next.
I like how the Sims 4 loads quickly for testing new mods.
I like how EA gave plenty of opportunities to improve the game.

Edit: I only started playing Sims 4 and making mods about 2 weeks ago. I've been playing Sims3 for many years now.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 10:01 PM
- Create-A-Sim is wonderful. I have more fun playing around with CAS in this game than I ever have with the other two. The modern fashions are pretty nice too when they aren't going overboard with the bright colors and ugly patterns (*cough*CityLiving*cough*). And the clothes and hairstyles not being restricted by gender was a touch that I really wish he had gotten in earlier games. There have been SO many times where I saw a hairstyle or outfit in TS2 or TS3 and thought "that would actually look good on both genders". I do wish it was easier to get a good variety of faces though. No matter how hard I try, it's really difficult to get good looking sims without running into TS2's "same face syndrome". Especially with kids.

- The gallery really comes in handy when you just wanna play with your new household and don't feel like building a house. Or if you wanna populate your world with more than the ugly pre-mades.

- These are the best toddlers and vampires we've ever gotten. I'm waiting very impatiently for their take on witches and I'm really hoping they give us different interpretations of that life state, the same way they have for vampires.

- The CC and mod community has been AMAZING! I have more CC and mods in this game than I do in any of the others.

- The search function in build mode was something else that I wish we had gotten sooner. It's actually one of the few things I miss whenever I go back and play TS3.

- I love Get Together's Club system and Seasons' Holiday/Calendar system. So many options! So many opportunities! And I can finally give my kids and teens a summer vacation!

- While the expansions have been...hit or miss, with mostly misses, the stuff and game packs have been wonderful and reasonably priced. There's literally only one stuff pack that I'd straight up call a waste of money...we all know which one.

The Receptacle still lives!
Scholar
#7 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 10:29 PM
Toddlers- even if they did not come with base game as they were supposed to I think the wait was worth it. TS4 toddlers in comparison to TS3 and TS2 toddlers are more mobile, more independent, and require less constant parental care. Not to mention they are darned cute -- not the case with TS3, or TS2 where most children and toddlers did not grow into their faces until they hit the young adult stage if ever
Scholar
#8 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deestar
Toddlers- even if they did not come with base game as they were supposed to I think the wait was worth it. TS4 toddlers in comparison to TS3 and TS2 toddlers are more mobile, more independent, and require less constant parental care. Not to mention they are darned cute -- not the case with TS3, or TS2 where most children and toddlers did not grow into their faces until they hit the young adult stage if ever

I agree with the part that the Sims 4 toddlers are cute but the Sims 2 and 3 toddlers are darn adorable in their own way as well especially with cc but on Sims 2 most of the time you could tell what the toddler would look like when he or she grows up just by looking at their faces but on Sims 3 it's just weird. You could make the best looking toddlers ever but when they grow up they could end looking like satan's spawns and turn out and turn out ugly and that's one thing that i'm glad Sims 4 had finally gotten right.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I like Sims 4 because I made my first Sims 4 trait mod. I never got as far as trait mods in Sims 3, just XML tuning mods.
I'm learning how to make other mods using Mod Constructor V3.
The Sims 4 Studio looks like an very good tool for making mods of objects. I'm going to learn how to use that next.
I like how the Sims 4 loads quickly for testing new mods.
I like how EA gave plenty of opportunities to improve the game.

Edit: I only started playing Sims 4 and making mods about 2 weeks ago. I've been playing Sims3 for many years now.

I have been wanting to learn how to make trait mods, where did you start with tutorials? Youtube or did you read things?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
- While the expansions have been...hit or miss, with mostly misses, the stuff and game packs have been wonderful and reasonably priced. There's literally only one stuff pack that I'd straight up call a waste of money...we all know which one.

Which one is that? I know of a couple that I feel are a waste of money, but than again I am not much of a Stuff Pack user and prefer community made CC over Stuff Packs for the most part.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 4:25 AM
The counters/cupboards/islands.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#12 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShadowMT13
Which one is that? I know of a couple that I feel are a waste of money, but than again I am not much of a Stuff Pack user and prefer community made CC over Stuff Packs for the most part.

He's referring to My First Pet Stuff. Honestly, the fact that part of the content isn't usable without C&D isn't even the bad part to me. It's more that they released it with just rodents. Where's the other small pets? Birds, lizards, etc.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
He's referring to My First Pet Stuff. Honestly, the fact that part of the content isn't usable without C&D isn't even the bad part to me. It's more that they released it with just rodents. Where's the other small pets? Birds, lizards, etc.

That is what I assumed XD Seriously they should of just included all that stuff in with Sims 4 Cats and Dogs. (<.<)"
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 12:50 PM
WORLD INTEGRATION:
Even though the worlds are so small that I feel trapped instead of free to do what I want, the world integration is the best out of all the previous sims games... except for few quirks that can probably be fixed.
What I'm talking about is this:
- Sims 1 and 2 have pretty well integrated worlds and the only thing is... time passes only on one lot so time discrepancies are... unavoidable. But districts connected with the main world and types of districts... that was really nice and allows creation of uberhoods.

- Sims 3 adressed the problem of time discrepancies in Sims 1 and 2 introducing... story progression (albeit broken, but fixable with mods). However, at that time two things also happened. Simmers actually demanded an open world since the start of the previous game and open world games were actually in demand for the whole gaming community. So EA went with open world for Sims 3. And even if it is usually gorgeous, from gameplay standpoint it's... a missed opportunity and does not fit management styled play at all. You would spend half of your gameplay time just watching sims going from one place of the world to another, and rabitholes that didn't adress the complaints from Sims 1 and Sims 2 about not being able to see sims at work. Heck, rabitholes replaced even some playable community lots from Sims 2.

- Sims 4... well, this one I said I like, but I like only the direction it took to adress both issues in Sims 2 and Sims 3. It's a relally nice design, semi open world. Districts have lots that you can load, and time passes equally everywhere. Districts are small enough so everything is accessible in short amounts of time and our sims don't have to travel ten hours from point A to point B. So both concerns from both games are adressed perfectly... well not. Only in theory. EA had the right idea, but didn't execute it properly. I still have concerns like townies from other worlds visiting every world you visit, which is inconsistent. Then the size of the district (it's ok that it's small and every part of it is fast accessible but, it can be a bit bigger), and more importantly, number of districts is maximum 5... which is insanely tiny. But the integration is best of both worlds :D

TODDLERS:
We don't have to talk about this, do we? Toddlers can do more than in previous games while still defining their age group like in previous games. And not just that, whenever I look at a toddler in sims 4, they are always doing something, the are always animated, and quite well at that. And they are also hard to manage! Which is what TS4 generally needs, a challenge. So that's a plus! The only thing I wish was that parenting GP was part of the base game... but still, I'm ok with TS4 toddlers, they are as fun, or perhaps even more fun than in previous itterations (definitely better than in TS3).

I'd like to mention vampires as really, that's pretty obvious. Vampires have been pretty ramped up from all the other sims games that they completely statisfy an expansion pack requirement for me, not just game pack. But I don't play them so they haven't made the list, just made the mention.

That's... that's really all. I really can't stand any other downgrade Sims 4 made. And any other bigger and newer features seem unnecessary to me.
Scholar
#15 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 7:05 PM Last edited by PuddingFace : 21st Sep 2018 at 9:57 PM.
Get together clubs
Vampires
Create puupies and kittens in CAS(though the gameplay for them was better in 3)
Programming skill
software dev career.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 7:43 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 22nd Sep 2018 at 2:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95

Indeed I am. DLC for DLC is such an EA thing to do but what really pissed me off about the whole thing was how they swore up and down that's not what they were doing. Like, it's one thing to do something that's clearly a greedy cash grab. But either be up front about it or don't say anything at all. Combine that with the fact that my favorite thing about the pets expansions (the smaller pets) were downgraded to just hamsters, and you got a pack that's not worth my time or money.

But this is the "Things We Like" thread so allow me to follow that complaint up with something positive...

Once you fix that pointless "uncontrollable pets" problem and download some CC doghouses (because Fuck You, Grant), Cats and Dogs is a legitimately good expansion with a BEAUTIFUL new world/neighborhood/whatever. It and Seasons were the first expansions I'd straight up call a needed addition to your game.

I am not much of a Stuff Pack user and prefer community made CC over Stuff Packs for the most part.

I'm was like that too with past games. But since TS4 stuff packs actually come with new gameplay features (and they're only 10 bucks) I've found myself more compelled to buy them...well...most of them, anyway.

Instructor
#17 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 10:47 PM
* I love the toddlers. Now I can actually make my troublesome 2-year-old in the game actually act like my troublesome 2-year-old haha.
*I have a love-hate relationship for the Vet Career, however, since this is a topic about things we favor I will just add this to the list lol
* I love CAS have always loved it and probably will always love it. In my opinion, its one of the easiest to navigate through than the previous iterations
* I like that they added a search engine to build/buy mode. I can't tell you how many times in 2/3 I've searched and searched and searched for something and had so much trouble finding it.
* I like how easy it is to renovate. Speaking as someone who has renovated roughly 95% of my game, thus far, it has been a long but very fun process.
* I also like something mentioned earlier: World integration. It's nice being at the same time and season as all the worlds and I'm glad they added this... now if hey could add some story progression with an on and off toggle....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Once you fix that pointless "uncontrollable pets" problem

I have a mod for that actually that I found if you are interested, though I agree it should of just been a thing in the game. Unless you already used it and that is how you fixed it, here you go!
Playable Pets Mod Sims 4 Studio
Mad Poster
#19 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 2:50 AM
Lol yeah that's exactly how I fixed it. Thanks though.

Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 10:08 AM
I have been wanting to learn how to make trait mods, where did you start with tutorials? Youtube or did you read things?

I used Zebru's Mod Constructor. He has a lot of trait mods for download right here on MTS.
http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=6998925
I'm running Mod Constructor V3
https://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/16034...-v2-beta-repost
It came with a step by step guide on how to make a "Gamer" Trait mod in a PDF file.

Sims are better than us.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 10:20 AM
Some things have already been mentioned like the counters, but I also like the whole room option (simply copying/saving a whole room, being able to rotate it, uploading it to the gallery etc) and how easy it is to create Asian and African Sims that actually look real. I never made it work in previous Sims games and it was upsetting. I really love to be able to create an Asian family and even the children will look actually Asian
Scholar
#22 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:19 PM
Hats
I love that hats are now a separate item. I can pick whatever hair I want and, chances are, I can slap a hat on my Sim and it will look good. (Long as the hair is hat compatible)
And even some of the hats in the game look pretty cool. I really like that one with the feather; I like using it with its black swatch and the feather in red.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 7:39 AM Last edited by Mondenkind : 23rd Sep 2018 at 7:54 AM.
5. Intuitive build mode - I like to start out with sims on empty lots with no money and so they can normally only afford small rooms at the beginning and the ability to easily add onto them and also drag them around is a huge help.

4. Multitasking -Having a sim girl chat with her best friend on the tread mill while watching shows with hot Sims 3 guys is still my favourite example. Honestly, I only notice this feature when I go back to prior versions and get totally annoyed, they can't do two things at once (with few exceptions). S4 sims are also the chattiest ones due to this feature.

3. Autonomous family interactions - I don't know if they have been there from the beginning but I notice them more and more...interactions between sims that don't show up in the queue and it happens mainly in families. For example, a sim husband is on his way to watch TV and his spouse has just finished painting something in the living room. He goes up to her before sitting down and kisses her on the cheek but his interaction isn't cancelled and there isn't one for kissing anywhere. It also increases relationship points. Kids hug their parents this way a lot, too.
It's just cute and for someone like me who likes to keep her sims busy and productive 24/7 it is a good reminder that they need quality family time sometimes, too.

2. Clothes and Hair- Another thing I mainly notice when I go back to old games...especially with TS3. This is not about the style being more up-to-date or anything (like I've said, 3 is the worst offender and 2 is still meh at least), it's more about how many hairstyles and clothes are actually usuable and don't look too odd or unattractive on the sim. In TS3 I had a few outfits and haircuts that I had to use for all of my sims when I wanted them to look good even if they were pretty to begin with and in 4 even an unattractive sim can still look good with different clothing and hair styles.
Edit: Due to that, it is also hard to decide on just one outfit for your sim. Good thing, you can not only choose multiple outfits for one category but your sims will actually change into their second choices autonoumsly on some days.

1.Toddlers and Children- TS4 gets a lot of hate for its life stages but honestly those two are pretty well done. Toddler traits and childhood skills are new additions to the series and although I wouldn't necessarily call them the best ones yet (life stages are TS2's strong point), they're definitely the cutest imo.
My favourite pack is Parenthood by the way and that really adds onto them (and the teens) with the character values, phases and interactions with their parents/care givers . Combined with this pack, I like those life stages even more than in TS2.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 12:55 PM
Å*ĮĖĘč

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
�*ĮĖĘč
Are you okay there or is this some new meme I'm not familiar with?
Page 1 of 2