Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2014 at 11:15 PM
Default Help with Radeon Hd6450, the sims 2
Hi there!

I only play sims 2, with four expansions packs, last one being AL, I've buy a desktop PC, an Optiplex980
Processor Intel Core i5
4GB RAM
Win7 64 bits

Sadly, it has an onboard video cardn (Intel HD). The smooth edges option is unaviliable, I guess this is the main reason (I used to play on a laptop with less RAM and still managed to play high setttings).

I realice I shouldn't play with onboard card, and I've read the Graphics Card Compatibility chart, but Radeon Hd6450 is on the range I can aford and it isn't there.
Any other recommendations for a not-so-techy broke-student simmer? I know a person who can install the card for me, but I'd like to get advice from a fellow simmer. I just wan't to play a pretty game
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 3:37 AM
In this image, which OptiPlex do you have? The largest, medium or smallest one?

Also you say you can only afford a 6450, what price is that? What is your budget?

N.B.: This is the service manual for the Optiplex 980. Just putting here so I don't have to look for it again later.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 4:45 AM
Thanks! C:

I've the largest one.
No more than $100US. But then, I'm mexican, so the prices might vary.
Scholar
#4 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 5:14 AM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 1st Feb 2014 at 5:25 AM.
Your current power supply isn't powerful enough to support a gaming graphics card. You would have to replace the power supply if you wanted to get a gaming graphics card.

Alternatively you could get a non-gaming graphics cards and see how well it handles The Sims 2, but that's not recommended.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 5:20 AM
I only play sims 2. Would a non-gaming graphics card handle it? Or at least be an improvement to the onboard one?
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 5:24 AM
Improvement, probably. Handle it? I dunno. I've never tried. You would do so at your own risk.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 5:32 AM
Damn.

Just wondering, on the service manual, the "Graphics/Video Controller" chart are the ones tha this PC would support? That being said, the Radeon isn't an opcion, right?
Field Researcher
#8 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 5:36 AM
I've tried sims 2 with a power supply similar to yours and a GT 610. Everything looked great at first, but after a few weeks the screen turned black whenever I tried to play the game, soon after I entered a lot.

I would be careful about running AL with any card, that doesn't at least have a yes for the sims 3 base game. My new card (Radeon HD 6670) and new power supply were less than a hundred Euro combined about a year ago. I don't know about the costs in Mexico, but maybe you can find a card from this list: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Recommendations
with a yes for the sims 3 base game and an adequate power supply within your budget.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 5:43 AM Last edited by Zakaritz : 1st Feb 2014 at 6:05 AM.
Then I'll get one with a yes for the sims 3. I'll go out to compare prices and see what is the best I can get. But if the power supply isn't good enough, what could happen? I'm starting to belive that my best shoot is to get my laptop fixed instead :/

Funny thing. Radeon HD 5450 has a yes for sims 3. I think I'd get that one, but the power supply thing is something I didn't research before, and that looks like trouble.

Edit: I think I can get a better power supply too. Thank you very much for your patience, I won't make anything stupid now that I'm aware of that
Field Researcher
#10 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 6:26 AM
Try getting a good power supply. Those are really important for the computer functioning as whole. And I would definitely not recommend using any card without an adequate power supply. As far as I know that would the card wouldn't function as it should anyway and the whole computer might be destroyed.

All my links with detailed information about power supplies are in german, so they probably won't help you, but you should check the sticky post about getting a new graphics card and the one about upgrading your computer.

Good luck with upgrading.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 6:49 AM
Yes, I've read carefully, and I'm getting a 400w power supply before anything else. That and the Radeon5450. Both fit on my budget, and should be fine untill I can afford something better.

Thanks again! C:
Scholar
#12 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 9:13 AM
If you're going to get a 5450 then your current Power Supply is good enough. You should aim for 16A, minimum 12A. You have 15A. It's good enough that you don't need to buy a new power supply.

You should also check the prices of a 6450. It's supposed to be better than the 5450, and the same price, so it should be better than that the 5450 for The Sims. I don't know why it's listed as a "No" while the 5450 is listed as a "Yes". I'll have to ask Ellacharmed about that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 8:37 PM
Thanks for the info! I'd do a little but more research, and see what is the best I can get.

One more question, should I reinstall the game after upgrading? And what about GeForce GT 630? It has a yes for sims 3.
Scholar
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 3:51 AM
I've spoken to Ellacharmed and both the 5450 and the 6450 should be a "No"... I'll be editing the Wiki soon to reflect that.

There are a couple of different GT 630 cards out there:
  • 128bit with GDDR5. This is one is better than the DDR3 version by a little bit and should be better than the 6450.
  • 128bit with DDR3. This one should also be better than the 6450, but not by much.
  • 64-bit with DDR3. Don't get this one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 6:02 AM Last edited by Zakaritz : 2nd Feb 2014 at 6:20 AM.
I got the 128bit with DDR3 as they didn't carry the GDDR5, unfortunately. Thank you very much for the help. Let's see if I can upgrade to something more adecuate in a few months, for now, this is working just fine.

Ps. Finally the smooth edges options is available. Now I can die in peace.
Scholar
#16 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 12:13 PM
lol glad it's working okay.