Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
just a girl
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 9:36 PM Last edited by Lamare : 26th May 2014 at 9:59 AM.
Default "European" project *two projects actually*
Hi.
I'm working on kind of "mansion" for big family. It's located somewhere in warm (or middle) climate, but not tropical. I hope you could give some advice.
Questions that bothers me mostly:
- Does the interior fit the house? Not finished with detailes, but you can see the style. I quite like it, but shouldn't it be more like "mediterranian"? Or is it ok and I shoul go on this way? Doesn't the living room "conflict" with dining room?
- Any suggestions on the back yard? I'm planning the pool and already started the arbor surrounded by water, as you can see on the plan. But I didn't decide on the layout yet, there's much space left.
Any other opinions also appreciated. Maybe on the textures or in general.

Further screenshots:

Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 11:28 PM
I think that the interior fits the house nicely. I like the way you placed some of the chairs in the dinning room - it looks really natural The choice of colors in the whole house is really nice too.

I think that you are really talented at landscaping but I would suggest not placing the plants so close to the edge of the lot. It is nice in the places where it is bordered by the stones but in the places without the border it looks unnatural.
Maybe you can try not using the whole area in the back. I would try to make it less obvios where the lot ends.
I made a picture to show you what I mean:

The purple dots are places where I would place the tall trees which you are using at the front.

Nice work Lamare
Screenshots
just a girl
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 2:45 PM
Thank you, Crowkeeper! Less square and more curved lines will look natural. I'll try to embody this idea.
just a girl
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th May 2014 at 9:58 AM
Default Need some opinions on colors and roof
Hi.
As always, I have several projects in progress, so while "european" is on hold, I want some opinions on the other house.

1. Which color shade do you like better for walls-fense-windows-doors -- "brown-brown" or "gray-brown"?
2. What roof for top level is better -- higher or lower? When higher, the roof is like extension/elongation of the previous level mansard roof (edges combined), but that shadow... bothers me a little. Maybe more than a little. When lower, the edges are visible and it doesn't feel like one whole roof - you can see levels. So I just don't know what to decide. Would be nice to hear what you have to say. Maybe you know even better decision.

Thanks in advance!
Screenshots
Alchemist
#5 Old 26th May 2014 at 12:05 PM
I personally prefer the 'gray-brown'. I'm not sure about the roof, both ways look good to me. Perhaps try a different colour and then check which looks better, colours do wonders.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#6 Old 29th May 2014 at 6:25 PM
I like the gray-brown a bit better but I can't say anything about the roof as the pictures are too small for me to see the details good enough. I know it can be quite difficult to get the roofing right for a house of that size. So far everything looks good (at least from what I can see).
just a girl
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th May 2014 at 7:22 PM Last edited by Lamare : 29th May 2014 at 7:33 PM. Reason: interiors
Thank you both, I'll go with grayish then. Attached bigger pictures to see the roof. OK now?

Also I can show some interiors.
Instructor
#8 Old 29th May 2014 at 11:02 PM
I just love the way you decorate your houses - the interior is amazing again. And the roof is great too
Inventor
#9 Old 30th May 2014 at 9:05 AM
I have to agree with Crowkeeper, the interior is very lovely. I wish I could live in a house like that. There's only one tiny thing I don't like that much - it's the pattern/colour of the wall lamp in the living room (?) screenshot #458. I think a more neutral single-coloured pattern was nicer for it because it has almost the same colour of the wall covering (below) and almost the same (or the same?) pattern of the curtains. I think a light silver or golden colour would be nice for the wall lamps.

As for the roofing I must say that I like #1 way better. I don't mind the shadow parts, it's less visible than the borders in version #2. I'd say #2 has shadows too, only less visible because of the borders. Also I think the house (and front view) with the higher roofing looks better (imo).

The chimney is quite tall, isn't it? It's not your fault, it's just the way it is but I don't like the way chimneys look in TS3. That's not how chimneys look like in real life (usually). Sometimes I try to lower the chimney with the moveobjects cheat, however, sometimes it doesn't work well or isn't possible because of the "wrong" roofing. Anyway.... I'm rambling....

Great work, so far. I'm looking forward seeing this lot uploaded.
Alchemist
#10 Old 30th May 2014 at 12:32 PM
I'm not too sure about the roof color, to me it's matching with the rest, yet it isn't. I don't know. I also prefer roof #1 actually, it makes it look a tad more grande.

#11 Old 30th May 2014 at 12:58 PM
Thank you!
I don't like the living room myself, and not only lamps. Pattern is not the same, but I'll change it, thanks. Maybe I'll add some bookcases too, I don't know. I'm also thinking to redo colors in kitchen, bring more contrast. I redo things a lot so the interior is not final.
About the chimney - it is that tall because of mansard roof (i experimented). When I delete one level with moveobjects, it gets too low. Chimneys are not suppose to be too low towards the roof ridge, as I know. But I guess, it doesn't matter so much in Sims, so I'll show you later, how it looks. I thought about enclosing it with walls, but it's between tiles and I don't want to move the fireplace.
I'll take some pictures with different roof colors, too.
just a girl
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th May 2014 at 8:40 PM
Some updates. Different roofs, lower chimney, floorplans (ignore the backyard clutter and stuff in unfinished rooms). I changed walls in kitchen, rearranged furniture and replaced lamps in living room. Also I'm showing you study, little bathroom, master bedroom and another shot of big bathroom I showed yesterday.
I like my roof choice and maybe #11. Lighter roof has more prominent shadow, black is... fine if nothing else fits, but I consider it like the last resort.

So this is what I've done so far, looking forward to hear what you have to say.
Alchemist
#13 Old 31st May 2014 at 12:48 PM
#4 and #11 are nice. But #4 looks too new compared to the rest of the house, so I'd also say #11. It also looks more European.

#14 Old 31st May 2014 at 5:28 PM
I agree with Johny that option n.11 looks the best. I think that placing oven for children into the real kitchen is amazing idea!!! The only thing that bother me a little is the dinning room - I would try to use different chairs.
just a girl
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st May 2014 at 6:44 PM Last edited by Lamare : 31st May 2014 at 7:11 PM.
Good. #11 it is. And what about the chimney, the lower - the better?
Crowkeeper, chairs - which ones? The blue ones form this screen: https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...akfastnook.jpg?
Instructor
#16 Old 31st May 2014 at 7:49 PM
Quote:
Crowkeeper, chairs - which ones? The blue ones form this screen: https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...akfastnook.jpg?

Yes (but well, they remind me of the chairs which we had in our school canteen so that can be the reason why I dont like them so feel free to ignore me:P)
just a girl
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 4:41 PM
Default Updates
I'm getting closer to the end, not finished with testing and drawing paintings for some rooms yet, so I'm still here for your opinions