Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#276 Old 22nd May 2011 at 9:02 AM
Do eet nao! :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#277 Old 22nd May 2011 at 11:03 PM
I just want to finally see it featured on the dowload section of the damn site :D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#278 Old 25th May 2011 at 2:55 AM
It seems the old code was deleted... I was trying to free up space, as I filled up my 1TB hard disk and couldn't find anything I wanted to part with, but thought that 2TB of disk space shouldn't be necessary, so I did a little house cleaning. The old TS3 Animator build was taking up around 1.5 GB, since I had to copy TS3 WorldBuilder into the bin folder. I just deleted the whole thing, figuring that I would never use it again.

Would someone get me set up with a website that might host my project for me? Like a sort of SVN sort of thing, preferably?

Thanks

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue. - Windows XP Setup
Hey! It compiles! Ship it! - Microsoft
Love is Hate. War is Peace. Windows is stable. - 1984 (sort of)
#279 Old 25th May 2011 at 7:44 AM
Peter uses Sourceforge, and Atavera uses google code repository. There are vaious possibilities you might consider.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#280 Old 25th May 2011 at 8:30 AM
Which is better in your opinion for comprehensive versioning?

#281 Old 25th May 2011 at 12:51 PM
I don't use either for my own stuff (I still have my in-development tool only on my own PC, lol). As a downloader, I prefer getting stuff and posting comments and bug reports on the Google one. Atavera's repository is at http://code.google.com/p/s3pi-wrappers/ if you want to take a look at an example.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#282 Old 25th May 2011 at 11:56 PM
Default Far from done...
Guys, I'm working as fast as I can, but I want TS3 Animator 3 to be the best it can be, and the following problems (among many more) are yet to be resolved:
  • When previewing object animations, the "Animation Preview Room" pedestal doesn't turn
  • The grass in the "State Machine Creation" field is extremely blurry
  • Sometimes the wrong geometry and textures are exported when exporting object animations to the Collada format
  • There is a mysterious memory leak that causes the application to crash after about five minutes.

#283 Old 26th May 2011 at 7:27 AM
You sound like you're having the same fun that we have with the mesh exporter

Forum Resident
#284 Old 26th May 2011 at 11:06 AM
RothN,
Quoting your post of sept. 23rd 2010:

1. I plan to first enable support for custom animations without using existing ones.
2. I plan to add graphical support for editing clip events, and many other attributes that are in animations.
3. I plan to add a graphical user interface (GUI) for editing jazz scripts that I will incorporate with the animation tool.
4. I plan to use a game engine (probably Ogre) to preview animations and events with a slider interface.
5. I plan to create an interaction studio that creates simple and optionally animated interactions with a GRAPHICAL user interface that practically anybody can use.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier on everyone and especially you if you worked through the five steps you
described in order, and did a release as you completed each step? I say this because it sounds like you're
trying to do all five at once, and not enjoying it at all.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#285 Old 27th May 2011 at 12:58 AM
The application is almost done. To tell you the truth, I am considering making TS3 Animator open-source, as I lost almost all my recent progress while trying to use shadow copies to restore some files in TS3 Animator, and frankly don't want to mess with it anymore. I'm sure Inge would be more than happy, however, to help.

Forum Resident
#286 Old 27th May 2011 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rothn
The application is almost done. To tell you the truth, I am considering making TS3 Animator open-source, as I lost almost all my recent progress while trying to use shadow copies to restore some files in TS3 Animator, and frankly don't want to mess with it anymore. I'm sure Inge would be more than happy, however, to help.
Please don't quit on us. Just take some deep breaths and take a break for awhile. We can all be patient. This is such an important tool I would hate to see it just disappear.

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Forum Resident
#287 Old 27th May 2011 at 10:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rothn

Ouch! My sympathies on your loss. I think it'd be awesome if you made it open source.
I looked at the dll's in ilspy, and I'm impressed with the structure and clarity of your code.
I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding someone to help maintain it after it's
released.
#288 Old 27th May 2011 at 11:27 AM
Well I am not sure I'd be able to help very much even if it was open source, because I don't understand animations. But I think cmomoney, atavera and Peter between them might be able to offer something that will get this over the current hurdle? It doesn't mean you would "lose ownership" of the project - everyone in the community is aware that you have nurtured it this far. I am as you know a keen proponent of open source anyway, so of course I'd encourage you to do that :D

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#289 Old 31st May 2011 at 2:07 AM Last edited by rothn : 31st May 2011 at 2:23 AM.
I think I'll just need some time; just for a little while, I'd like to work on my minecraft client (almost done!), my iOS game, and the Modizer app which I may or may not be helping with.

Edit:
Well, I'm back in Windows now and ready to work on the Animator. You see, I thought that there was nobody there, so I have been a bit discouraged lately.
Here is my new plan:
  1. Re-write my code that reads and writes animations and license it under the Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL-1.0)
  2. Write code for importing and exporting (import first, then export) collada files
  3. Write code for displaying the animations in some fashion (either using EA's stuff or not doing so)
  4. Write code for reading and writing jazz scripts

Forum Resident
#290 Old 31st May 2011 at 9:46 AM
Nobody here? We were waiting quietly for you to get back.
Personally, I wouldn't mind if you swapped steps 3 and 4 in your outline,
since we can check animations with CMO's player. Sounds like you plan
to use .dae as an alternative to .smd, is that the case? Seems like a good
idea, given the limitations of the .smd format. Also, I'm wondering how
you'd feel about doing a release with just the .dae import/export, and
then tackling the jazz scripting, since we already have smooth jazz
to work with? That way people could get used to animating with
.dae while you were working on the jazz scripting part. Excuse me
please if I don't know what I'm saying, since I don't know how
tightly integrated the jazz and animation parts are.
Forum Resident
#291 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 1:46 AM
Never think there is no one here for you! I check this thread several times a day. You are working on THE most important project for Sims 3. I may not have any talent for it, but I really want to learn how to do animations. When you are ready for testing I would be thrilled to help out. I would be willing to write a tutorial, if I can learn how to do animations. Anything you need, cookies and hot coco, warm fuzzy hugs, or what ever might help!

Alchemist
#292 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 6:26 AM
WH, it's completely possible to put your own animations in the game now...check out the downloads section There's no need to wait to start learning.
Forum Resident
#293 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 6:16 PM
OM is correct, but this project would make the process much less tedious, and allow adding events to animation, such as sound effects.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#294 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 6:32 PM
Events can already be added to animations, including sound effects.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Forum Resident
#295 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
WH, it's completely possible to put your own animations in the game now...check out the downloads section There's no need to wait to start learning.
I don't even know what I need from the downloads section. Would you tell me what I need from there? I would :lovestruc if you would.

Test Subject
#296 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cmomoney
Events can already be added to animations, including sound effects.

So, just out of curiosity, what are the actual limitations?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#297 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by n@meless-one
So, just out of curiosity, what are the actual limitations?

As far as I know, nothing. Of course, I haven't tried everything, but I added sound events to my window animations with no problem.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
#298 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 10:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
I don't even know what I need from the downloads section. Would you tell me what I need from there? I would :lovestruc if you would.

I don't think the animator is on the programs section, just here for download. Though you'll also need visual c# 2008 to create the scripting mod that will run the animation and smooth jazz.

You could go lazy and use cmo's animation player without the need of creating the scripting mod. I think twallan has something similar too.
Alchemist
#299 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 12:25 AM
WH I pointed you to the downloads section so you could see that there are animated objects (one with animated Sim interactions) already available. If you're interested in trying your hand at it I would check out the Meshing section where Wes posted his Anim tool which is what (among other things) was used to make those objects. If you'd like to try an easy way of testing your own animations in game check out Cmo's Pose Player or his Animation Player both of which are in downloads.

Lenglel, I'm not sure what you mean by less tedious. I'm paraphrasing someone else here but my understanding is that to make our own animated objects and Sim interactions we're going to have to write our own scripts or collaborate with someone who knows how to write said script. It's unclear how Animator is going to take that step, the critical step for most people who know how to make animations, out of the mix.

A better JAZZ editor would be nice...I'll give you that. But it doesn't need to come with all the animation bells and whistles discussed upstream so far. We can do the get the animation in CLIP form thing already with a tool which is proven to function just fine for s3 animation requirements.

Odistant, while I haven't tried it so cannot say for sure, I'm of the understanding that Twallan's tool is not capable of playing user-made animations.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#300 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 1:05 AM
I wouldn't call using my player as 'going lazy'. I use it to test animations before writing the scripts. It gives you a feel of what your animation needs(like mixing the EA ones with custom ones), so you don't have to edit your scripts over and over again to get it right.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Page 12 of 17