Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 10:30 AM Last edited by Thax : 17th Jul 2014 at 10:47 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game freezes when my wedding sims tries to toast
Right, so I have two engaged Sims who just set up a buffet, champagne, wedding cake, yada yada, invited the guests, the guests propose a toast and the game freezes and doesn't unfreeze. I try again, hoping it was just a one-time glitch, but the same thing happens. I then remove my Hacks & Game Mods folder from the Sims 2 Downloads folder and try once again. Same freeze. Sooo I try removing my entire downloads folder and my collections folder, because surely that has to fix the problem. Well, it doesn't! ~Pants.~

I have never before had a problem that wasn't related to custom content in one way or another, so now I have no clue what to do. There IS one thing though. I recently had to re-install all of my games (which is all expansions and stuff packs except IKEA) to restore my original Sims 2 lighting file and usually when I install my games, I install all the patches afterwards with no problem. This time though, when I tried to install the University patch and the Nightlife patch (basically the ones that required a CD), my computer said the program had an error and had to shut down. I suspect it's the evil doings of Windows 8.1.

This is the only thing I can think of that could possibly cause this. I've never experienced game glitches of this nature before, without the use of custom content and the patch-issue is the only thing that's different this time around.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I know reinstalling my games once more wouldn't make any difference. No game files have been altered, Scriptorium isn't installed and the patches would make them same error.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I just tried going onto another lot with another sim, throwing a party and making a toast. No freezing happened, which only confuses me more.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 12:50 PM
I don't know anything about windows 8 but I have had a particular Sim adopt some strange behaviour since W7. I'm wondering if your sim was the problem rather than the toasting bottle? Lazlo Curious is making every shower run continuously after using at the moment. I have no idea why and this has never happened with my old set up. I also couldn't install the last patch, had an error message and nothing I do can get it to work. It could be something that may need to be patched that is linked to certain behaviours. Sorry I could't help but I hope you get it sorted.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 12:58 PM
No, you're absolutely right. The problem can't be the champagne bottle or an action tied to it, or the freezing would have occured on the other lot with my other sim as well. I'm currently reinstalling all of my games. I noticed that not all of the folders had been removed after uninstalling them, including a university update file, so I'm wondering if that could have caused the patch issue, seeing as I don't recall having had any patching problems when I first installed Sims 2 on this computer.

Information can be as or more helpful as suggestions. It does seem more likely that it's an OS-related issue, so I appreciate your reply!

I'm also trying to install each patch after installing the corresponding expansion this time, see if that makes a difference. Before, I installed all of the packs and then all of the patches afterwards.

Edit: Meh, apparently not. The University patch still gave an error, saying the program stopped working.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 2:12 PM
Did you get the patch from here? If the bottle works for other sims it could be that sim has some corruption. Have you run Hood Checker?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 7:58 PM
I ran the patch I have had since they were released. The ones I have never had any problems with on Windows XP, so I do think this is a compability issue.

I haven't heard of Hood Checker. What is it, what does it do and where can I find it??

And by the way, I found this on here: http://modthesims.info/t/500523 I'm going to use that method in reinstalling them this time around, hopefully that will force it to ignore the patch error that Windows 8 itself is creating to begin with!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Thax
I haven't heard of Hood Checker. What is it, what does it do and where can I find it??
It checks for corruption in a neighbourhood, and can temporarily fix some types of corruption. It's hosted right here on MTS. The creator is Mootilda.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 9:03 PM
Thank you both very much. I have downloaded the hood checker and I will run it as soon as I reinstalled Sims 2 and restored my save games. I will post the result here, in case someone else with the same problem comes across this at some point.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:55 PM
Right, so I just reinstalled everything and ran Hood Checker for the very first time (ever). It lists a -beep- load of errors, but I can only choose to 'save' or 'restart'. Has it already fixed what it could? Most of the errors were apparently having a relationship with oneself or memories of dead people (all sounds very bizarre, really.)
Field Researcher
#9 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:01 PM
It doesn't remove memories or relationships (AFAIK). Use SimPE to remove the offending memories and relationships (if they still exist) and reload the lot.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Site Helper
#10 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:23 PM
Restart and then you'll have the option to fix some of the problems.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:26 PM
Since you are not able to patch your game if I was you I would get the new "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" through EA support. http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-s...collection-faq/
Scroll down to the bottom and click on the button that says "Contact Us".

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 5:01 AM
Portaller: I don't understand SimPe. I tried to download it, but I don't understand anything regarding what it does and how to make it do what it supposedly does. It wouldn't be much of a problem to read up on it and get into it, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm also trying to understand several other Sims 2 programs and sorting out everything in my downloads folder to make the game run as smoothly as possible (though it appears my male sims will remain homosexual, as they have been for the past 6 years now).

Marka93: I did recieve the Ultimate Collection! ~Pops collar.~ I got it last night though and before that, I just spent days installing all of my Sims games again, using the Windows 8 method described in a sticky thread in this help section and thanks to the Grumpy Loader (almost wrote Grouchy Loader), the University and Nightlife patches were finally installed succesfully!

Mootilda: I clicked on restart, but it only repeated the same steps and came up with the same (very long list of) info. I uploaded a screenshot to show the amount of errors it apparently encountered. Is it a lot or is a certain amount to be expected?

In spite of having played Sims 2 since it was released, I'm a noob when it comes to programs and such, as I wasn't able to be connected to the internet until about a year ago.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 9:50 PM
Update: I finally figured out how to fix stuff with the Hood Checker. Apparently I had to double click on my neighborhood, rather than selecting it and clicking 'Finish'. After I did that, I suddenly had the "remove" option after restarting. It didn't work though, my game still freezes.

I did notice about 5 unknown flaws in the report the hood checker gave me though. One of them being for the male sim I'm trying to get married. An 'invisible' memory, whatever that means. I loaded the lot back up and used FFS Lot Debugger to clear all memories and gossip, which all together cleared about 1500 files, apparently. Afterwards, I procceeded to attempt a toast for the 40th time over the course of 7 days and it still froze up.

So now I went through it all. I renewed all game files with a full re-installation. All games are fully (and properly) patched. No downloads in my downloads folder, overrides, collections or scriptorium. Hood checker fixes didn't work, FFS Lot Debugger didn't work and HCDU shows no conflicting hacks.

I'm all out of ideas. I suspect I'll have to delete the neighborhood and start a fresh one, which sucks when I already lost the custom neighborhoods I spent years making from scratch once before. I'd just started over on a new neighborhood and shopping hood a year ago and it was finally starting to have a somewhat-decent amount of buildings and stores. -_- Am I the only one who gets unfixable bugs??

In any case, just thought I'd let you know the end result.