Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 3:03 PM
Default Which are/were your favorite pre-made family?
The Goths and the Pleasants were my favorite from the basegame but with the addition of Unleashed I always had a soft spot for the Hicks and their trailer, although as the game doesn't recognize any family ties like the later games, Mama Hick and Elden Hick could develop romantic feelings for each other .

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 3:11 PM
The Goths and the Roomies were mine, though once Makin' Magic came out, it really became all about the Goths (even over families I'd made myself, haha!).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 5:03 PM
Goth Snr - I played that lot over and over. Every time Gunther got a sexually incontinent Cornelia. It drove him mad - MAD - I tell you. I couldn't help it. It was all that middle-aged respectability and wealthy probity. I just had to disrupt it. I have them in my present TS2 game. Poor Gunther.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 5:59 PM
The Goths were my favorite! That family is my favorite of ALL the Sims (2 & 3)! I hated what they did to the family in Sims 2! And in Sims 3 the Goths Sr. were so far removed from the Goths Sr. in Sims 1 that it was like another family.
In the Sims 1 I would have them show affection to each other constantly and they did not fight it (unlike the Newbies or Pleasants). I loved their Victorian looking house and the creepy graveyard. I loved to fix it up when Victorian or Goth looking furniture came out. However, things seemed to fall apart as they had another kid or I expanded their home. I even had Cassandra grow up once with Makin' Magic. She was kind of slutty tho' Ha, ha!! I loved how they added the Goths Sr. and made the first extended family with a story.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 6:54 PM
...another vote for the Goth family. I loved their house.
Instructor
#6 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 9:04 PM
I was never a big fan of the Goths, I found them a bit smug/pompous. I liked the Newbies and the Pleasant family.
Scholar
#7 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 12:05 AM
Oh!! I wish I remembered their last name. But if you switched to the 2nd neighborhood, there's a silly looking house (pentagon shaped?) with a couple. I would always play them for some reason. I've also played the Roomies numerous times.
Scholar
#8 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 12:13 AM
I have the suspicion that the Mama/Elden Hicks possibilities weren't an oversight on Maxis's part .

"Elden, yer the best cousin, nephew, son, and husband a woman could ask for!"

Edit: I bought Sims 1 after playing Sims 2 and my favorite families are the Mashugas, Hickses, and Ginia Kat. The Mashugas especially -- I recreated them in Sims 2!

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
Oh!! I wish I remembered their last name. But if you switched to the 2nd neighborhood, there's a silly looking house (pentagon shaped?) with a couple. I would always play them for some reason.

Mashuga?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Mashuga?

Yeah, that sounds like Frankie and Sylvia-Marie! I liked the unconventionality of them, but inside I'm just too dull to truly appreciate them; I always used to have to make over their house to be more tasteful.

Quote: Originally posted by Aegagropilon
I have the suspicion that the Mama/Elden Hicks possibilities weren't an oversight on Maxis's part .

"Elden, yer the best cousin, nephew, son, and husband a woman could ask for!"

Yes, I was thinking that as I typed it, it does seem kind of fitting! I usually had Elden marry and move out, or at least have a wife move in, so he could break free of his mother!

Scholar
#11 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 12:45 AM
Mashuga?

Yes! Interesting last name lol
Field Researcher
#12 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 8:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
Oh!! I wish I remembered their last name. But if you switched to the 2nd neighborhood, there's a silly looking house (pentagon shaped?) with a couple. I would always play them for some reason. I've also played the Roomies numerous times.

Ahh yes I remember them and their interesting style

The first time I saw their house I remember thinking wow and wtf at the same time.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 3:15 PM
I never actually played the Mashugas. That octagonal house was so inconvenient, and somehow I never did play Neighborhood 2 much. I either played Neighborhood 1 or built from scratch.

The Hicks were always an exciting family for me. My consistent rule of play was that I could add on to the trailer but I couldn't alter the configuration of the original rooms. The result would be one of those thrown-together redneck homes, each room of which is stuck onto the original trailer whereever it'll fit, out of whatever materials are handy at the time. I should do one of these in Sims2, as it'd be much easier to get the proper effect now, with rooms on a slab connected to rooms on a foundation connected to the original trailer, with stairs between and of course completely different styles of everything, a picket room next to a cinderblock one and so on. I had a friend who lived in such a place, built around a small Airstream trailer, when she first got married right out of high school. If the trailer didn't become a sprawling monstrosity, or even if it did, a lot of the family's living was done in the yard. It was hard keeping all those dogs happy! One time Eldon set the yard on fire and Mama was so busy trying to put the fire out she couldn't stop in time to plead with Grim. Then Bobo caught fire just as she about had it out, so she pleaded for him. She couldn't save her son, but she saved her dog! Eldon haunted the heck out of her, and she got so down the clown started coming around. And then she married a townie, I think, or else the game went wonky, can't remember.

Another time, Eldon married a pretty townie, moved her in, and both he and the townie got full-time jobs, while Mama quit hers and was stay-at-home grandma for a whole passel of kids with names like Scooter and Bubba. Another time Mama married a sim I made (August Knight, I believe) and moved into that fancy Old Town house with the swimming pool. And yet another time, I was sick of the trailer, so I moved them into a house I made with lots of Persimmon Grove stuff and had Eldon take up farming.

I'm not sure I had a favorite, but the Hicks are certainly the ones I did the most different things with. But they never took up magic. Mama thought that sort of thing was Of The Devil.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 14th Jul 2012 at 12:24 AM
I loved the Hicks too. The first career I wrote for TS2 was a cleaning career for Mama. That's something that's missing from TS2 - the careers are all too well paid and swanky.

Field Researcher
#15 Old 14th Jul 2012 at 1:43 PM
I loved the Hicks too. The first career I wrote for TS2 was a cleaning career for Mama. That's something that's missing from TS2 - the careers are all too well paid and swanky.

I agree the whole career system has got easier as the games have gone on. I never got to the top of any of the careers in the first sims.
Alchemist
#16 Old 14th Jul 2012 at 2:38 PM
Michael Bachelor FTW!

The guy was such a loser. My sister and I still to this day discuss roaring with laughter when we watched him stroll past his waiting honking carpool in his pajamas with a platter of freshly barbequed burgers in his hand.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 14th Jul 2012 at 6:01 PM
Roomies and Goths, I loved their house (I still have a TS3 version of it).
I never played for too long Mashuga house, I guess their style don't fit mine
Field Researcher
#18 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 3:45 PM
The Hicks and Goths were my favorite. As much as I'm a catlady in RL, I couldn't stand playing the catlady household.. Ginny Kat I think her name was? Anyway, she couldn't make friends, go to work or get promoted and look after her cats. I often tried to get her to romance a townie but I guess they all went running in the other direction once they came over and saw all her cats. :p
Mad Poster
#19 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 4:03 PM
Ginia is a challenge, no doubt. I've played her successfully a few times, but she and her critters take a great deal of effort initially. I believe Ginia normally ends up quitting her job and focusing on her painting, her gardening, and her kitties. One of them is very needy and wants attention all the time, but she's also a prolific breeder and her kitties net a nice chunk of change if you get her trained.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 10:20 PM
I loved the Mashugas and Bob & Berry Newbie. Both couples always fought like cat and dog when left to their own devices in my game!
Theorist
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I believe Ginia normally ends up quitting her job and focusing on her painting, her gardening, and her kitties.

I usually had her quit work and become a full time artist too.

Quote: Originally posted by Elledee
As much as I'm a catlady in RL, I couldn't stand playing the catlady household.. Ginny Kat I think her name was? Anyway, she couldn't make friends, go to work or get promoted and look after her cats. I often tried to get her to romance a townie but I guess they all went running in the other direction once they came over and saw all her cats. :p

I think I had her turn one of her cats into a human using the Makin' Magic spell/charm on at least one occasion, to get her a husband! They were very happy together.

And the Newbies, I can't believe I forgot about them! They were another favorite of mine, for sure.

Field Researcher
#22 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 10:49 PM
I must go back and try that with Ginia some time! I remember having to evict her time after time because I couldn't juggle everything at once because her cats would either be really unhappy and run away or go hungry and be on the verge of starving and I eventually gave up trying.

I liked the Newbies too. I let Bob spend his days romancing the ladies of the neighborhood. Betty was kind of a grump IIRC.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 12:06 AM
I did all right with Ginia Katt once I rebuilt her house and gave up on the idea of having the garden be so big. And I built her a husband and worked the romance from his end; then they had kids. Who are a big help with kitties and gardens alike!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 10:55 PM
The goth familiy as I always liked the way looked (many other reasons why I like them) and they are the only (correct if I am a wrong) to be in all three sims games.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Mad Poster
#25 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 5:20 AM
I can't choose. I loved the Goths - both the original family and the elder Goths when they showed up, but I also love the Hicks, Ginia Kat, Claire Charming, and The Burbs. I like Bob and Betty very much, although I tend to think Betty was a ditz. The Mashugas were a hoot! I wasn't too crazy about Michael Bachelor or the Roomies, but still found it fun to play them from time to time. The Pleasants always had to be remade - couldn't stand them the way Maxis shipped them.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Page 1 of 2