Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 6:15 PM
Default So what are simpoints and how do I get them?
When I googled this question all I got was websites offering free sim points. Can I trust those or not? am I even aloud to ask?

but my real question, how do I get simpoints in game? like what tasks do I have to perform to earn them? and why do I have to be online? is the internet going to post screen shots or threads or etc against my will? I don't want the community notified of my achievements. Who needs to read that? I don't want the whole web seeing my sims either. Im looking for a guide on what activities earn sim points.

Also I don't know how to navigate the store its self. I can't figure out how to display all possible items sorted by type. I don't know how I would find what I want.

if there are other ways to get these expensive objects and its not against the rules, let me know too. I know nothing about how this works. So any hints or tips would be welcome.
Advertisement
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 6:52 PM
You don't earn Simpoints in-game. They used to be given away with game or EP purchases, or by watching videos on the Store site itself. I don't think any third-party website is going to be able to give you simpoints in your store account. At most, they would be able to direct you to things to do on the Store's website to earn additional points.

As for navigating the Store, it's separated into build/buy, CAS, premium items, and world categories. If you have a rough idea of what type of item you're looking for, you can start looking in the major categories and narrow it out, as opposed to using the site's search.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 12:08 AM
I've seen many newer players make the mistake of asking us for mods that generate sim points. Sim points are store currency. They can be purchased (through Origin now) with real money and then can be used to obtain EA store content. Or you can generate a stash of them slowly, usually 5 points at a time, by watching ads on the store site as said above if you are lucky enough to have the buttons appear that allow you to do so.

If a store item costs 1,000 sim points, think of it as being around a $10 (USD) purchase or so.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I've seen many newer players make the mistake of asking us for mods that generate sim points. Sim points are store currency. They can be purchased (through Origin now) with real money and then can be used to obtain EA store content. Or you can generate a stash of them slowly, usually 5 points at a time, by watching ads on the store site as said above if you are lucky enough to have the buttons appear that allow you to do so.

If a store item costs 1,000 sim points, think of it as being around a $10 (USD) purchase or so.

So its not an in-game achievement system? I don't get like 5 points for putting out a fire and 10 points for meeting aliens and 1 point for petting a stray dog or etc? What's the point of playing the game while logged in? The game says when you start it "Log in?" it implies you're ment to get sim points for playing and letting the game auto post to the game's forum.
Is there a way to tell what I might want if I do shop with points? I also need a guide of what items are in what EPs in what menus. Im looking for harvest-able Apple trees, photography ans a personality trait you can select from CAS and the ability to keep bees among many other things. I want to know if I want an outdoor shower or a Griffon Statue or feeder and bath that attracts wild birds to my yard or a plant that brings bunnies or dear or racoons or penguins or llamas to my yard or any other possible thing, if thats in a certain pack or in the shop. I might want a jet pack or a candy shop or a postal uniform and will wnat to find them.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kaykeyser
When I googled this question all I got was websites offering free sim points. Can I trust those or not? am I even aloud to ask?

but my real question, how do I get simpoints in game? like what tasks do I have to perform to earn them? and why do I have to be online? is the internet going to post screen shots or threads or etc against my will? I don't want the community notified of my achievements. Who needs to read that? I don't want the whole web seeing my sims either. Im looking for a guide on what activities earn sim points.

Also I don't know how to navigate the store its self. I can't figure out how to display all possible items sorted by type. I don't know how I would find what I want.

if there are other ways to get these expensive objects and its not against the rules, let me know too. I know nothing about how this works. So any hints or tips would be welcome.

Sim points are basically online points you can use to purchase store content. You can buy them, and you can earn them by watching little videos on the store site, typically 5 points per video. You can actually have several running at a time, in multiple tabs, to speed things up a bit. If you want a lot of store content, I'd highly recommend checking out the gift giving threads, especially a "complete your set" thread. There are users who have it all and will gift items, that can help to get to that free download stage for a particular set. There are also contest threads, wherein people offer prizes for this or that. I have not seen any third party sites that offer points, and would be wary of the legality of any of that sort. Using the gifting forum, though, is a safe and handy way to gain more content. On the thread I mentioned, I ended up with all of it, which I never expected! Now, I send stuff to other players when I can get the points. Setting up a wishlist, and checking for which items give the best set discounts, is a good plan.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kaykeyser
So its not an in-game achievement system? I don't get like 5 points for putting out a fire and 10 points for meeting aliens and 1 point for petting a stray dog or etc? What's the point of playing the game while logged in? The game says when you start it "Log in?" it implies you're ment to get sim points for playing and letting the game auto post to the game's forum.
Is there a way to tell what I might want if I do shop with points? I also need a guide of what items are in what EPs in what menus. Im looking for harvest-able Apple trees, photography ans a personality trait you can select from CAS and the ability to keep bees among many other things. I want to know if I want an outdoor shower or a Griffon Statue or feeder and bath that attracts wild birds to my yard or a plant that brings bunnies or dear or racoons or penguins or llamas to my yard or any other possible thing, if thats in a certain pack or in the shop. I might want a jet pack or a candy shop or a postal uniform and will wnat to find them.

OKAY. First of all, the game has a feature that lets you buy Store items directly from the game without having to go to the website, which is why playing while logged in is encouraged. You also have to be logged in to receive gifts from other players, or to use SimPort. If you've never logged in to the Sims 3 site before, I believe you should be able to using your Origin username and password. Nothing will be shared unless you explicitly consent to it (if you have Memories enabled, for instance, you can share those).

Photography and beekeeping are introduced through EPs (World Adventures/University Life and Supernatural, respectively), while animals are introduced through the Pets pack. You can also use Google to see what items are included in other EPs, or read about the expansions on this site,

As for the store, I recommend browsing around it a bit to see if anything strikes your fancy. As a general rule of thumb: objects that add new interactions and Store worlds are considered "premium" and will cost more, while ordinary objects (furniture, paintings, etc.) and clothes will be less expensive, and holiday-themed items will be free. If you can't find what you want, you might be able to use Google to find custom content you'd like. You can even search this site under the "scripted objects" section--a lot of our creators are really talented and make objects on par with Premium store content. (My personal favorites are Arsil's expanded repertoire as well as douglasveiga's strawberries and ferris wheel.) Sandy from Around the Sims 3 also has several objects that use Premium Store Content resources, although in most cases, they're kind enough to provide a downloadable resource file if you don't have them. This does not add the object to your game, it only makes their CC usable.