Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 7:22 AM Last edited by ShinraStrife : 9th Sep 2015 at 6:38 PM. Reason: Attached screenshots as requested.
Default Need help with creating a shirt.
Hello everyone! I am new to MTS as well as new to modding Sims 4.

I am currently trying to add a shirt ingame. I can't simply re-texture an existing mesh because no cropped long sleeves exist in the base game, so I decided to edit the long sleeve t shirt.

Texture wise, I have replaced everything (Main texture, shadows, bump map, etc.)
Mesh wise, I have only modified LOD 0.

I have laptop mode turned off and graphics are set to ultra.

It looks perfect in CAS, but in live mode it has horrible clipping issues. Any advice?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 11:43 AM
Your screenshots don’t show; please attach pictures directly to your post instead of uploading them elsewhere. I’m able to look at them by way of Edit Post but regular members can’t do that.

Looks like either your alpha is broken (did you accidentially save as DDS1?), or the problem is that you now have LOD1 not matching LOD0 (you need to edit all meshes, not just one). Can you attach the package or screenshots of your diffuse texture (RGB and alpha)?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 5:35 PM
That looks like a mipmaps problem - check to be sure you're saving your .dds as files below, with 'All' mipmaps generated and in DXT5 ARGB interpolated alpha format:

If you don't generate all mipmaps, your texture will disappear gradually as you zoom out in-game and show naked skin beneath it, which looks like what's happening in your screenshot.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 6:45 PM Last edited by ShinraStrife : 9th Sep 2015 at 8:09 PM. Reason: Attached diffuse texture.
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Looks like either your alpha is broken (did you accidentially save as DDS1?), or the problem is that you now have LOD1 not matching LOD0 (you need to edit all meshes, not just one). Can you attach the package or screenshots of your diffuse texture (RGB and alpha)?

I'll replace the other LODs and test it in game. I wasn't aware that I had to replace all of them.

Edit: Attached diffuse below. Also, replacing all LODs didn't fix the issue.

Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
That looks like a mipmaps problem - check to be sure you're saving your .dds as files below, with 'All' mipmaps generated and in DXT5 ARGB interpolated alpha format:

(Image)

If you don't generate all mipmaps, your texture will disappear gradually as you zoom out in-game and show naked skin beneath it, which looks like what's happening in your screenshot.

I'm using GIMP instead of photoshop so I don't see the window in your screenshot when I save DDS files. I can't pick the color format but for compression I always pick BC3/DXT5 and I always select generate mipmaps.

Edit: I reopened my textures in gimp and each mipmap was added as a layer so it appears that they do have mipmaps. It must be an alpha problem. I'll buy photoshop CS5 and see if the problem goes away if I compress the DDS using the plugin your using.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  rle2.zip (75.6 KB, 3 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Diffuse map (size was almost 3 MB so I had to compress to zip)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 8:25 PM
I wouldn't advise buying Photoshop only for this, since GIMP works just as well.

Your texture looks fine to me, and your problem really does look like missing MIPmaps. Is the file you attached the one you worked on and imported into your package, or did you extract it from your package? In other words, possibly the MIPmaps got stripped from it during import. What tool are you using to edit the package? And could you attach and upload your package here?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
I wouldn't advise buying Photoshop only for this, since GIMP works just as well.

Your texture looks fine to me, and your problem really does look like missing MIPmaps. Is the file you attached the one you worked on and imported into your package, or did you extract it from your package? In other words, possibly the MIPmaps got stripped from it during import. What tool are you using to edit the package? And could you attach and upload your package here?

Too late for the buying photoshop. XD

The file I uploaded is the final texture that I put into the package, and I'm using Sims 4 Studio version 2.4.2.0 (Love) to make the package.

Package is attached below:
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Shinra_Damascus_TripLongsleeveCrop.zip (315.0 KB, 3 downloads) - View custom content
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 10:18 PM
The diffuse texture in the package you attached does not have mipmaps.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 10:23 PM
The diffuse texture in the package you attached does not have mipmaps.

I don't understand why mipmaps weren't generated because I had that option selected when i saved the diffuse with gimp-dds.

I'll try updating to a newer build of gimp-dds because I haven't updated it in over a year, and if that doesn't work I'll install photoshop and see if it will actually make the mipmaps.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 10:28 PM
Maybe just try opening the package in s4pe, select the texture, rightclick > Replace and import it again. That should import the texture as is. You could use CASTools as well.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 10:35 PM
Maybe just try opening the package in s4pe, select the texture, rightclick > Replace and import it again. That should import the texture as is. You could use CASTools as well.

Okay I have mipmaps generated now and there's still some clipping (very noticeable on the lower left) but it's a lot less worse than it was so I guess that's progress. lol
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 10:41 PM
Yes, looks like the original issue is fixed. Im not sure what you mean by clipping on the lower left -- do you mean the wonky self shadow? The shadow texture might have lost its mipmaps as well, so try the same fix (for the bump and specular too while you're at it).

(At least I *think* that's the self shadow I'm seeing .. your screenshot isn't quite close up enough for me to tell)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 10:44 PM
Yes, looks like the original issue is fixed. Im not sure what you mean by clipping on the lower left -- do you mean the wonky self shadow? The shadow texture might have lost its mipmaps as well, so try the same fix (for the bump and specular too while you're at it).

(At least I *think* that's the self shadow I'm seeing .. your screenshot isn't quite close up enough for me to tell)

On the portrait of the sim in the lower left, there are pieces of the shirt missing. I'll check the mipmaps for each texture in the package because if it didn't generate them for the diffuse, it probably didn't for the rest of them either.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 10:49 PM
Oh, the portrait! To regenerate that, delete your \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\localthumbcache.package. Otherwise the game may still use thumbs/portraits generated with old versions of that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 10:54 PM
Oh, the portrait! To regenerate that, delete your \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\localthumbcache.package. Otherwise the game may still use thumbs/portraits generated with old versions of that.

*facepalm* Thank you! Everything looks good so now I can upload my first CC. :D

Thank you to everyone who helped me. I probably would have been scratching my head over this for weeks without help from this awesome community.