Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#126 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 6:56 PM
Quote:
generally northern England

-burst into tears- xD

Cumbrian accents are the best in the world, and the little boy from Yorkshire in the Oreo advert is adorable.
On the contrary I really hate Southern English accents. They're so fake and loud and meh.
I hate Scottish and Welsh accents.

But I like accents from Edinburgh, they're pretty. And Irish. French is cool too, and Italian. And some American accents, like East Coast kind of thing. Aw, and when cute little Asian women speak English but they've got those really sweet accents. They make me melt. <333
Advertisement
#127 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 7:02 PM
Quote:
I hate Scottish and Welsh accents.

Why Welsh?
Joking. I'm part Welsh see and this boy in my class is VERY welsh. He won't stop talking about Wales.

Quote:
But I like accents from Edinburgh, they're pretty. And Irish.

Now you are talking. Strong Irish accents give me a headache but the more subtle ones, like you put it, make me melt. Maybe 'cause of Lovely Lorcan though...
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 12:50 PM
I looooooooooooove the Australian accent. i tried to speak like them but i suck at it
#129 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 1:15 PM
It annoys me when people say they like "British". For a start that includes Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England and trust me they don't sound the same. You're also grouping together things like London, Yorkshire, Norfolk, Somerset and other places which all sound nothing alike. I presume people are thinking of the upperclass queen's English type accent which I've never known anyone speak unless they're on some tv program or they're from Eton or something.

Anyway rant over back on topic!

- I absoloutely adore the Northern Irish accent.
- I love Scottish but the more highlandy, thicker Scottish is the best.
- I love welsh as well

- I hate thick over the top Australian
- I don't like Cockney
- I hate the Somerset farmer accent
Field Researcher
#130 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 8:38 AM
I love the 'gentler' accents, such as Irish, and Scottish.
Sorry for being vague, but I don't know the regions very well.
I am not a fan of 'harsher' accents such German, Russian, and New Zealand.

I think that foreign kids (Foreign to America, that is) are the cutest things... ever.

potterhead
call me bria
Lab Assistant
#131 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 7:45 PM
I love, love, love Russian accents! I can't explain it, it's just a natural attraction. In fact, Eastern European accents in general make me blush. I also like proper old American Southern, not the nasty twang we've got today.

4 8 15 16 23 42
#132 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 8:00 PM
I really like French accents for some reason, and uppercrust British. I really don't like spanish accents though, I have no idea why, and there are many Mexicans in America, I just don't care for it too much, unless I'm in a Mexican resturaunt haha
Test Subject
#133 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 8:22 PM
everyone loves a british accent. or at least i do.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#134 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by redhotsalsa
everyone loves a british accent. or at least i do.

Which one, in particular?
http://forums.sims2community.com/sh...7&postcount=121
Field Researcher
#135 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 12:54 AM
In english accents I like american best, they sounds so down-to-earth with no pretence at all

and I hate british(too snooty, that's why I hate Harry Potter movies characters) and cowboy(is it southern?country?,you know, like that Hannah Montana accent maybe?it just sounds so made up)

And there's scottish, I don't know whether to like it or hate it, it sounds a bit like british, but also amusing to the ear...

In chinese mandarin, I would say I hate the western accent, you can hear this accent in any tv shows or movies with asians that can't speak chinese(try Tropic Thunder, I thought they were speaking Thai, until I caught a glimpse of what they're really saying...)

I like the more casual accent you can find in southeast asia(probably, I know Singaporeans has great mandarin accents, I speak mandarin with their accent)
#136 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Ahh yes, but there are also soooo many London accents... :P

In fact I think accents are not only defined by country or town but by a few other factors as well. So I guess every person has it's own accent that we can like or disslike. For example I am lithuanian but no one can ever tell that by my accent, even my fellow lithuanians. Don't know why I sound so different from most people of my country but I do.
Test Subject
#137 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 4:58 AM
I love most accents. They immediately make me smile because they're so COOL! I come from the midwest in a small town that doesn't experience much along the lines of cultural diversity, so any speech that's different is just automatically awesome. However, there are a few exceptions. I'm not particularly fond of the stereotypical New Jersey or Bostonian accents, they rub me the wrong way. Also, Australian accents aren't my favorite.

The accents I usually run across are Upper Michigan accents and Minnesotan accents. I have a friend whose family is from Minnesota, and every time she starts getting riled up about something, you can hear her Minnesotan 'O's. Hilarious and adorable.
#138 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 5:16 AM
Russian
German
Any British ones
Scottish
Bostonian
All Middle-Eastern ones (Iranian, specifically)
Welsh

Dislikes:
Southern (such as the ones in Texas, Tennessee, Kansas, etc.)
Scholar
#139 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 5:25 AM
My favorite accents are those of overseas English-speaking countries. Mainly British, Irish, Scottish, and Aussie. I also love Italian accents.

Not big on German, Norwegian, or Middle Eastern accents. ...Or a lot of American accents (particularly those of New York, Boston, Minnesota, and certain ones of the South. They just sound so unrefined.) I much prefer West Coast accents (or lack thereof).

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Lab Assistant
#140 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 4:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by beki
It annoys me when people say they like "British". For a start that includes Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England and trust me they don't sound the same. You're also grouping together things like London, Yorkshire, Norfolk, Somerset and other places which all sound nothing alike. I presume people are thinking of the upperclass queen's English type accent which I've never known anyone speak unless they're on some tv program or they're from Eton or something.

Anyway rant over back on topic!

- I absoloutely adore the Northern Irish accent.
- I love Scottish but the more highlandy, thicker Scottish is the best.
- I love welsh as well

- I hate thick over the top Australian
- I don't like Cockney
- I hate the Somerset farmer accent

I also like the Brittish accent, and I can't hear the diffrence between all that accents. It all sounds like a Brittish accent to me. But the diffrence between northern and southern Brittish I can hear I think (I'm not sure if Derek Algavie(or something, don't know exactly his last name) you know the baby whisperer, is northern brittish but I think that's the northern accent?).
Lab Assistant
#141 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 4:46 PM
I love love love Aussie accents. I also really like Irish, Scottish, & what I consider a British accent (I'm American and can't tell the difference between North/South/East/West whatever). Guys (only guys though, girls sound like trash) from Boston and around New England have the best accents in the U.S. I live 30 minutes outside of NY and can't stand NY/NJ accents. Thankfully, I don't really have an accent. I also can't stand a Philly accent, it drives me nuts.
Lab Assistant
#142 Old 2nd Jan 2009 at 8:46 PM
There's this new guy in my class and he has the cutest Bulgarian accent ever.
He might not be the most handsome guy on the planet, but everytime I talk to him I just can't help but smile and blush.

I guess I just have a thing for eastern european accents. :p

- // ::ƒяεaκza::\\ -
[¿ ] ♥ »» sªηī†y īs σ√εЯRª†εð
Lab Assistant
#143 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 2:25 AM
Uh. I like weird accents. D:
I don't know which accents I really like but there's this little girl who's always in my dreams with a REALLY, REALLY thick Asian accent and it makes me giggle sometimes so I guess I like East Asian accents. I'm such a freak. This weird little girl seriously pops up in my daydreams like, every day. ._. Plus I like lots of Northeastern USA accents because they're so... ubercooler.

And now here's the long list of accents I hate:
I don't like English accents. It makes me feel all weird.
I don't like Australian accents either.
I don't like southern accents.
I CANNOT STAND CANADIAN ACCENTS. I HATE MY COUNTRY SO MUCH. IT'S JUST SO... CANADIAN. >_>
I don't like South Asian accents.
I'm pretty neutral to Jamaican accents because everyone sounds so happy when they have one. Like, they can never sound sad. It makes me feel kinda warm and fuzzly inside when I hear them. But sometimes I just can't understand them, and then I just have to say "...yeah..." and then they'll ask why I'm so quiet, and I'll just say, "I don't know..." and it makes conversation kinda hard. ._.
I don't like valley girl accents. WE GET IT. WHATEVER. YOU DON'T HAVE TO HOLD THE "R" FOR 5 SECONDS. LOL. MY. GOD.
I don't like whatever you can call this accent: Go to Google and change the language to "Bork, bork, bork!" I'm guessing it's Swedish but I'm not sure.
I don't like South African accents because even though I haven't ever heard one in real life, I heard a guy with one on the radio and he talked too fast for me to hear. ._.
I hate lisps. DON'T TALK LIKE THITH. ITH IT REALLY THAT HARD TO PRONOUNTH "S"? :D
I don't like French accents. Reminds me of my straight D's in French ever since I started it years ago at age 9.
I don't like this one American accent that I don't know the name of and you guys probably won't know what I'm talking about but whenever I think of this accent I think of a middle-aged balding guy flipping burgers from suburban Ohio. flkdlagkdafg.
I don't like Spanish accents. I don't know why.
I don't like Russian accents.

That's about all the accents I can think of.

No offense to anyone with one of these accents. x/ I think I sounded kinda bitchy when I was wording this.
Instructor
#144 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 8:03 AM
quote from beki "It annoys me when people say they like "British". For a start that includes Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England and trust me they don't sound the same. You're also grouping together things like London, Yorkshire, Norfolk, Somerset and other places which all sound nothing alike."

Maybee to someone born in the country, someone raised on english its very clear. generally as a non-englishspeaking person you can usually only make out really big differences like its possible to realise that someone might be speaking with an irish OR scotish accent lol (also do you know in sweden when someone says England they generally mean the entire british isles including ireland )
same goes for usa and canadian accents. generally they all sound the same. i personally wouldnt have a chance to distinguish between a canadian or a texan.nope. nothing.

i like my own accent. a lot. im a bit disapointed my father has never spoken as much Östgötska to me as he does to his parents. But it is however (together with Västgötska) considered laughable and ugly and is generally used in comedies and such as "the stupid one" s accent

i like the accents from northern sweden and also the ones from småland.
southern swedish is not ugly but incredibly difficult to understand. i have a friend from there and if we havent spoken on the phone for a while i have to go "what" "say again" over and over. half an hour is generally needed to acclimatize

in english i tend to like british accents :laugh:
Lab Assistant
#145 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 8:26 AM
German and Irish are the nicest sounding.

Dislike? Probably southern accents.
Scholar
#146 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 10:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gulhare
quote from beki "It annoys me when people say they like "British". For a start that includes Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England and trust me they don't sound the same. You're also grouping together things like London, Yorkshire, Norfolk, Somerset and other places which all sound nothing alike."

Maybee to someone born in the country, someone raised on english its very clear. generally as a non-englishspeaking person you can usually only make out really big differences like its possible to realise that someone might be speaking with an irish OR scotish accent lol

Even to those who speak English but were not born in England, it's not always clear. Since I was born in America, I can easily tell the difference between a Northeastern, Midwestern, Southern, Western, and Pacific United States accent, and most of the ones within those groups. However, I couldn't tell you the difference between a Northern and Southern English accent if my life depended on it. To me, the differences I hear are typically very subtle, so I just group them all together. I don't hold it against anyone if they say they like an American accent. They just haven't spent as much time in the country as I have!

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Lab Assistant
#147 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 7:18 PM
Accents I like:
-New Zealand I live in New Zealand, so to me this is normal speaking instead of an accent, (unless it is too strong)

-English Sorry to group all of England together, but I don't have a clue as to which part of England all of the different accents come from.

-Some American I quite like the northern and eastern accents, as long as they are not too strong.

-Irish I looove the Irish accent

-Scottish + Welsh I know a Scottish and a Welsh guy, and I have got to like their accents, (not as good as the Irish accent though)

Accents I dislike
-Australian Perhaps its because I'm from NZ, but I hate this accent so so much, It actually burns my ears. I can barely be in the same room as an Aussie with a strong accent.

-South African It just sounds so sleazy, does not make you want to trust the speaker.

-Some American I dont like southern accents, the stronger the worse.
Field Researcher
#148 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 4:36 PM
My absolute favourite accents are Australian and Jamaican. :] I also like most of the English accents- including Cockney, actually- as well as Irish, Scottish, and accents from the Southern US.

As for accents that I don't like? I'm not crazy about strong New York/New Jersey accents, but I don't find them horrible.

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 5:58 PM
I love all accents. Seriously, there isn't a single accent in the world I dislike. I love Scottish, Irish, British, Russian, French, and Spanish accents especially. And I met this girl from Uganda, who spoke English in the cutest way. I also really love Southern accents, there's something so awesome about them.

Oh, wait, I just thought of an accent I'm not too fond of. The way Marissa talks, in The O.C.? Apparently that's a New England accent or something. Yeah. That annoys me a little.

We are the lucky ones
Your mother's daughters, your father's sons
Don't you grow old before your time
Test Subject
#150 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 8:21 PM
New Zealand accents are my favourite, I also love Australian accents aswell. I have Glaswegian accents though! (people from Glasgow)
Page 6 of 9