Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#76 Old 4th Aug 2012 at 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Le Fey
Did anyone ever work out how to make gender-specific job titles?

I've got it!

In the Unhashed Keys file, you put in your male title, then underneath, you add the same title and add _Female.
For example:
<STR>Gameplay/Excel/Careers/Film:BestBoy</STR>
<STR>Gameplay/Excel/Careers/Film:BestBoy_Female</STR>

Then, input that into your English Strings like this:

<KEY>Gameplay/Excel/Careers/Film:BestBoy</KEY>
<STR>Best Boy</STR.
<KEY>Gameplay/Excel/Careers/Film:BestBoy_Female</KEY>
<STR>Best Girl</STR>

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Visit MissyHissy's Irish Dance Studio
The Daily Plumbob, a Sims 4 Gameplay blog
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 28th Aug 2012 at 3:51 AM
I'm making my first custom career, and my question is probably quite simplistic, but this is also my first real attempt at modding. Here goes:

I'm not sure where spaces are ok and where they are not. My career, my tones, and most of my career titles are made up of several words and some of the examples are less than clear, especially since the example career is Tennis. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Scholar
#78 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kithri
I'm making my first custom career, and my question is probably quite simplistic, but this is also my first real attempt at modding. Here goes:

I'm not sure where spaces are ok and where they are not. My career, my tones, and most of my career titles are made up of several words and some of the examples are less than clear, especially since the example career is Tennis. Any guidance would be appreciated.

No spaces anywhere, except for the English Strings. Then you put spaces in.
Using the career I'm currently working on as an example:

<KEY>Gameplay/Excel/Careers/CareerList:FuneralDirector</KEY>
<STR>Funeral Director</STR>

In all the other files, such as in the Careers XML file, the Tones XML file and the UnhashedKeys file, there are no spaces. The language Strings are the only files to have spaces Hope that helps

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Field Researcher
#79 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 6:39 PM
Thanks, missyhissy!

And that is so funny that you are doing a funeral director career, cause that was going to be my next one, but now I don't have to, lol!
Field Researcher
#80 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 10:51 AM
Okay, I almost have everything working, only my career title and the text strings aren't showing up. Instead, JoinCareer842901641372242208 (not these numbers, though, this is an example) shows up at the rabbithole. And yes, I did what Creon's tutorial said to do about copying down the number and going back into S3PE and changing the STBL file.

So my Sim was able to join the career, but I saw no text stating what career it was, nor the entry level text, nor the offer text. However, within a few minutes my sim had 3 co-workers and boss, and the icons were showing up fine, as were the metrics of what was needed for a promotion. Moreover, ErrorTrap isn't showing any errors related to my career.

I'm totally baffled.

I compared my career-guts to MissyHissy's Pharmacist career, and to Lily_XD's Psychology career (which is constructed differently, so it wasn't much help); I read everything on Twallen's site, and I followed Creon's tutorial (and found several errors in it, too), and I still don't get what I'm doing wrong. I even switched around the rabbithole, from business to theatre, and now to criminal hideout, with no joy.

I've read back through this thread, and ThomasRiordan had some interesting stuff but I wasn't entirely sure what he meant.

Any ideas, anyone?
Scholar
#81 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 11:54 AM
Okay, I almost have everything working, only my career title and the text strings aren't showing up. Instead, JoinCareer842901641372242208 (not these numbers, though, this is an example) shows up at the rabbithole. And yes, I did what Creon's tutorial said to do about copying down the number and going back into S3PE and changing the STBL file.

So my Sim was able to join the career, but I saw no text stating what career it was, nor the entry level text, nor the offer text. However, within a few minutes my sim had 3 co-workers and boss, and the icons were showing up fine, as were the metrics of what was needed for a promotion. Moreover, ErrorTrap isn't showing any errors related to my career.

I'm totally baffled.

I compared my career-guts to MissyHissy's Pharmacist career, and to Lily_XD's Psychology career (which is constructed differently, so it wasn't much help); I read everything on Twallen's site, and I followed Creon's tutorial (and found several errors in it, too), and I still don't get what I'm doing wrong. I even switched around the rabbithole, from business to theatre, and now to criminal hideout, with no joy.

I've read back through this thread, and ThomasRiordan had some interesting stuff but I wasn't entirely sure what he meant.

Any ideas, anyone?

You've done everything I did when I hit this problem with my first career!
Check out Post #19 in this thread, where ThomasRiordan gives instructions on how to get around this issue. You'll need to create a new English Strings file because there's a problem with the one in the blank career

Field Researcher
#82 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 12:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by missyhissy
You've done everything I did when I hit this problem with my first career!
Check out Post #19 in this thread, where ThomasRiordan gives instructions on how to get around this issue. You'll need to create a new English Strings file because there's a problem with the one in the blank career

Thomas' instructions are very confusing to me. I found some of the problems in the Eng Strings file already and corrected them, I thought. But maybe not, lol. I'm too tired to try again now, it's 4 am here. I'll try tomorrow.

Grrr. Hate getting so close, without figuring it out before I go to bed, haha.

Thanks for answering so quickly.
Field Researcher
#83 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 7:04 PM Last edited by kithri : 30th Aug 2012 at 8:41 PM. Reason: More up to date information.
Have you also put the Numbers in your English STBL? You need to make sure the numbers are in the English STBL too, or it will stay as the numbers. That should do it

MissyHissy, what did you mean by this? (It's from post 66 of this thread).

I didn't put the JoinCareer1234567890-long-azz number into my English STBL, only into the unhashed...Where do you put it in the English STBL file? Creon's tutorial says nothing about this, and I can't find it in your Pharmacist career English STBL file... <scratches head>

Also, in reading through ThomasRiordans post #19 of this thread, he seems to be saying, more or less, combine the two STBL files into one? If not that, what is he saying? I honestly can't follow his instructions, they are too vague....

I'm about to pull all my hair out, I'm so frustrated.

Edit: EUREKA! The little light bulb just went off in my head, probably from all that banging against my desk! I was able to get the the correct text to show up at the rabbithole, but the rest still doesn't show up, but I believe I know how to make it show up now! So I'm off to try out my idea, and see if it works...I will report back, and I will post on how I solved the problem, in detail, with pictures (if I indeed did solve the problem that is). :D
Field Researcher
#84 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 9:08 PM

I am so excited! Thank you missyhissy, between various of your posts and hints I was able to decipher what ThomasRiordan was saying and managed to fix my career so that all of the English text shows up in game now

<faints>
Field Researcher
#85 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 3:12 PM
I really like the idea of creating custom careers. In early August, I started working on a career I call Army Enlisted (being an Army veteran, I wasn't thrilled with EA's Air Force theme in their base Military career. ). I finally got it working properly, thanks to all of the guidance and tips from Creon's tutorial, ThomasRiordan, MissyHissy, and the rest of you amazing modders who have posted in this and other threads! I am, however, having some difficulty getting custom outfits to show up properly in the game. I've been working with CTU and CmarNYC's Outfitter tool (see posts #36-39 here ). Although I'm using existing EA outfits (the Air Force uniforms), I've made modifications to the colors and patterns to fit the Army theme. My problem appears to be getting those redesigns out of CTU and through the Outfitter tool properly to create the SIMO files. I keep getting bizarre combinations of outfits when switching to the Career outfit (see images here and here).

Could someone please provide some guidance? I appreciate any insights you may have.
Field Researcher
#86 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 1:42 AM
Have you been able to get standard EA uniforms to show up?
Field Researcher
#87 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 7:06 AM Last edited by kithri : 7th Sep 2012 at 3:10 AM.
I have a question: I've probably deconstructed every single custom career uploaded to MTS at this point. I've noticed that many do not have the unhashed strings file in the package. Can these be deleted after hashing the strings? Or where have they gone in Lily XD and himarawara's careers, for example?

Edit:

Thought I'd asked this too, but I guess I didn't: What unhashed strings are used for retirement? Can't get retirement option to show up in my pie chart for phone or rabbithole, nor can I get the retirement information to show on the career info tab in the Sim Panels (bottom of GUI). I was able to force retirement by going to city hall, but it is odd when the text doesn't show, lol. Anyone have any help for me?
#88 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 6:36 AM
Help
Ive followed the tutorial to the t, but I cannot get my Career to show up. Please help
Scholar
#89 Old 11th Sep 2012 at 3:45 PM
Sorry for the late responses guys, Real life got a little mad with school starting up again!

mflaha55: I'm still battling with that, too. I'd love to get custom designs in there but I haven't gotten that to work yet. If I suss it, I'll let you know!
Kithri: Yes, I have gotten the standard EA uniforms to show up. A list of the standard ones can be found Here. You add these lines of coding:
<OutfitMale></OutfitMale>
<OutfitFemale></OutfitFemale>
<OutfitMaleElder></OutfitMaleElder>
<OutfitFemaleElder></OutfitFemaleElder>
and put them underneath your last Metric. In the spaces, insert the code for your chosen uniform. So for example,

<OutfitMale>career_businesscasual_male</OutfitMale>
<OutfitFemale>career_businesscasual_female</OutfitFemale>
<OutfitMaleElder>career_businesscasual_maleelder</OutfitMaleElder>
<OutfitFemaleElder>career_businesscasual_femaleelder</OutfitFemaleElder>

Make sense?
I've never deleted the Unhashed Strings, I leave them in. They don't appear to cause a problem for me, but I have no idea why they're not in some careers.
I've also got problem trying to get retirement to show up. You've just reminded me I was testing this about 2 weeks ago and forgot about it! LOL
Iamthewalruskookookachoo: Make sure you have the right version of Twallan's Careers Mod to suit your patch level installed. Otherwise, the career won't show. If you have got it installed, then you may have misspelt the rabbithole name (Trust me, I do this all the time, especially with the Hospital! LOL). If there isn't a problem there, I don't mind looking over your career to see if I can spot the problem, if you'd like

Field Researcher
#90 Old 11th Sep 2012 at 7:40 PM
Thanks, missyhissy!

I'd actually already been able to show the EA careers, was wondering if the previous poster had.

I think I figured out why some careers don't seem to show the unhashed strings: If you use the STBL Duplicator by digitalchaos then it eats the unhashed strings and poops them out as language files. Well, something like that, anyway. When I used it on my career, the unhashed strings file seemed to disappear.

I also have some guesses as to why retirement might not be showing up. The folks who are able to hook into it use the NRaas Omnicareer as their base career, instead of music, as in Creon's tutorial. I'm guessing somewhere along the line, coding changed either in Twallans main Career mod or in EA's libraries. Very recently rspn99 uploaded the Monarch Career, and in the overview thanked Twallan for his Mobster Career, the one career I hadn't deconstructed because I didn't have it in my game. So I downloaded it, and it also uses the Omnicareer for the base career. Looking at Mobster and Monarch, rspn99 used Twallan's career as a template and didn't use Creon's template/tutorial.

So next time around I'm going to experiment and do the same.
Scholar
#91 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 10:16 AM
Thanks, missyhissy!

I'd actually already been able to show the EA careers, was wondering if the previous poster had.

I think I figured out why some careers don't seem to show the unhashed strings: If you use the STBL Duplicator by digitalchaos then it eats the unhashed strings and poops them out as language files. Well, something like that, anyway. When I used it on my career, the unhashed strings file seemed to disappear.

I also have some guesses as to why retirement might not be showing up. The folks who are able to hook into it use the NRaas Omnicareer as their base career, instead of music, as in Creon's tutorial. I'm guessing somewhere along the line, coding changed either in Twallans main Career mod or in EA's libraries. Very recently rspn99 uploaded the Monarch Career, and in the overview thanked Twallan for his Mobster Career, the one career I hadn't deconstructed because I didn't have it in my game. So I downloaded it, and it also uses the Omnicareer for the base career. Looking at Mobster and Monarch, rspn99 used Twallan's career as a template and didn't use Creon's template/tutorial.

So next time around I'm going to experiment and do the same.

Ahh, well it's handy to have the information there

Mm, I've been poking with Twallan's Mobster to find the Retirement strings, I just haven't had the time to poke properly yet! Let me know if you find anything, feyrin's been trying to fathom the retirement bit too!

Field Researcher
#92 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 6:58 PM
Ahh, well it's handy to have the information there

Mm, I've been poking with Twallan's Mobster to find the Retirement strings, I just haven't had the time to poke properly yet! Let me know if you find anything, feyrin's been trying to fathom the retirement bit too!

My last career is in the moderation queue and I'm working on a second, and this time I'm going to try using the Omnicareer. I'll post results.
#93 Old 14th Sep 2012 at 3:24 AM
thanks ThomasRiordan, for your help. Im having some trouble with getting my career to show up in the game. I have gone through all the steps TWICE and it still wont work. Please help me!
#94 Old 14th Sep 2012 at 3:26 AM
Sorry for the late responses guys, Real life got a little mad with school starting up again!

mflaha55: I'm still battling with that, too. I'd love to get custom designs in there but I haven't gotten that to work yet. If I suss it, I'll let you know!
Kithri: Yes, I have gotten the standard EA uniforms to show up. A list of the standard ones can be found Here. You add these lines of coding:
and put them underneath your last Metric. In the spaces, insert the code for your chosen uniform. So for example,

Make sense?
I've never deleted the Unhashed Strings, I leave them in. They don't appear to cause a problem for me, but I have no idea why they're not in some careers.
I've also got problem trying to get retirement to show up. You've just reminded me I was testing this about 2 weeks ago and forgot about it! LOL
Iamthewalruskookookachoo: Make sure you have the right version of Twallan's Careers Mod to suit your patch level installed. Otherwise, the career won't show. If you have got it installed, then you may have misspelt the rabbithole name (Trust me, I do this all the time, especially with the Hospital! LOL). If there isn't a problem there, I don't mind looking over your career to see if I can spot the problem, if you'd like
Thankyou so much. I will defs try this!
#95 Old 14th Sep 2012 at 3:38 AM
So I took MissyHissy's advice and i thought you guys might want to see this page if you are having trouble getting your career to show up http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers :p
Scholar
#96 Old 14th Sep 2012 at 10:58 AM
Did that solve the problem?

#97 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 2:58 AM

Make sense?

I looked for the version that I would need but I either Im not looking for the right version, Ive screwed something up on the actual mod, or the version that I need is no longer available. But everytime I try to update the game it says it's fully updated. Here's a copy of my file. Please look at it.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Superhero_Career.7z (17.2 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Scholar
#98 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 2:23 PM
If you're fully patched (and it sounds like you are), this is the version of Twallan's Career Mod you'll need: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers+Phase+Eleven

Anyway, I've taken a look at the career and so far, the only thing I can see is that you haven't renamed one of your pic files. It still says Blank_pic.
Make sure you've got the right version of Twallan's mod and if the game generates a script error, that should tell you why it's generated and where the problem is. So checking the script errors in your Sims 3 folder might be a good idea

#99 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 5:23 AM
Quote:
If you're fully patched (and it sounds like you are), this is the version of Twallan's Career Mod you'll need: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers+Phase+Eleven

Anyway, I've taken a look at the career and so far, the only thing I can see is that you haven't renamed one of your pic files. It still says Blank_pic.
Make sure you've got the right version of Twallan's mod and if the game generates a script error, that should tell you why it's generated and where the problem is. So checking the script errors in your Sims 3 folder might be a good idea

Thanks!
Scholar
#100 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 2:33 PM
No problem!
If it's still not co-operating, give me a shout!

Page 4 of 23