Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2013 at 6:49 PM Last edited by TrueMrreset : 16th Jun 2013 at 9:45 AM.
Default 4GB Patch helpful?
Hi there,

I found this little tool: 4GB Patch
This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms.
Would this be helpful for TSM?
Has someone used this patch already?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TrueMrreset
Hi there,

I found this little tools: 4GB Patch
This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms.
Would this be helpful for TSM?
Has someone used this patch already?

I'm not brave enough to test it out *cluck*, but it would be wonderful if it was usable for TSM.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 12th Jun 2013 at 2:05 AM
Ive tried it on both Fallout 3, Fallout new vegas and The Sims 3.

Works like a charm. It fixes alot of nagging issues that are aroused if you run on a PC with more than 4GB Ram.
Instructor
#4 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 9:13 AM
Every LAA patch I've tried so far has failed in TSM. If you get one that works, I'd be thrilled.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
Ive tried it on both Fallout 3, Fallout new vegas and The Sims 3.

Works like a charm. It fixes alot of nagging issues that are aroused if you run on a PC with more than 4GB Ram.

Have you tried it on Sims Medieval? The original poster said it fixes the issue when you have 4GB of memory instead of 2, but you mean it's a fix for more than 2GB RAM, no upper limit?

How do you notice if you're having a problem with this that needs fixing? Well, basically - how do I know if I'd benefit from it?

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong

- Oscar Wilde
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 9:41 AM
Hi there,

first of all: The patch creates automatically a backup of the exe-file which you want to patch!
If the new exe doesn't work, you can use the unpatched exe!
I use the patch since Wednesday, and it works without problem.
Again, remember: You have to use a Win 64bit with 4 Gb or more!
Scholar
#7 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TrueMrreset
Hi there,

first of all: The patch creates automatically a backup of the exe-file which you want to patch!
If the new exe doesn't work, you can use the unpatched exe!
I use the patch since Wednesday, and it works without problem.
Again, remember: You have to use a Win 64bit with 4 Gb or more!

You're a star, awesome =D

Do you notice much of a difference?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 6:44 PM
@ChickieTeeta
In my opinion TSM runs a bit smarter, but this could be my imagination!
But no crashes, glitches or faults. But TSM runs before the patch also without any CTD ...

I needed the 4gb-patch for RISEN with Texture-mod, and without the tool RISEN gets not enough memory, with it runs smooth ... Maybe TSM does not require the patch at all ...
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 6:51 AM
i thought the 4gig patch was more for older games, when i tied it on my system i don't think there was any difference between with or without the 4gig patch.

it might help if you are running a game with tons of high rez texture mods though, or sims 3 with it's large amount of expansions (although sims 3 might already be compatible with 64bit\4gig ram)
Field Researcher
#10 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 9:20 PM
The 4GB Patch does NOT work for TSM on a Windows 7 64-bit PC. Too much to explain the why not's in thorough explanations, so I'll just say, its because Microsoft changed the properties, and "user control" of DEP when they made Windows 7.

I write in this OLD thread now, because Patient, Wise (most of the time), and Well rewarded once in a true blue moon Xeny, has encountered a method of SAFELY disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for Windows 7 64-bit OS!!! I have been playing The Sims Medieval Pirates and Nobles for two days now without DEP enabled! I have had nothing but a GOOD time doing so, and no multi million packets have been sent flooding my Network while DEP has been disabled!

This is a Beautiful Miracle! You see, Chickie, I just knew DEP had a lot to do with my semi frequent, to non-existent game crashes. It might be a little early to place the application creator on a pedestal, but I am warming up to the idea!

Its a teenie-tiny program, that you click on to open, the smallest window known to a PC operating system shows itself, with two options, a button under each of them, and a short explanation of why the developer made it. That's all.

HOWEVER, beginner's on PC's might be more leery in using the app for one reason. They may not feel comfortable using the Command Prompt in their computers, or may feel they do not have enough knowledge about Command Prompt, or DEP for that matter, and I feel one ought to at least understand the basics at least, or feel quite comfortable using their computer's tools, like Command Prompt.

Here is the reason: To some it may not be that big of a deal, as perhaps they do not mess with Data Execution Prevention, or other Windows programs, but Xeny wishes to be safe for all interested parties, experienced or other.

This program in which I speak, does one thing I did NOT like. When I RE-enabled DEP, after a great game playing session playing with DEP disabled, and then rebooted (restarted) my computer, I went to the location of the DEP program found in Control Panel to see that the software had left the DEP window options grayed out. For some Windows 7 users this is as it should be, and is default, but for Xeny, no! I insist on having control over the things that are mine, and not be locked out by a machine, and its programmer!

The cure or fix was simple and easy, however. All that needed to be done was to type in, or paste the correct command into an Administrator Command Prompt to set DEP to Mode 2, which means DEP is set to always on, but the options in the DEP window in Control Panel are not grayed out, and the PC user can change its settings.

If any on MTS are interested in using this app, please make a response, ask any questions, and I am happy to share further detail, and information about this app. I won't do so now, as I would feel it irresponsible to add this info and/or download, into a thread in which some might deem very old, and discontinued, or having been abandoned, and if they encountered trouble, may not know what they should do. I do not want to leave such a means available but with no producer so to speak, to guard the environment, as it were. Ya know, cause its not me thread...LOL

Xeny - Watching more than just her Hot TSM Sim Babes...

Quote:
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 5:40 AM
Sorry for replying to an older post, but I wanted to point out that while DEP settings may prevent patching to 4GB in the first place, they shouldn't prevent a 4GB game from running properly. Also, the easiest way to avoid DEP is to install your games to an alternate location (like C:\Games) rather than the default location. Then you don't need to jump through Windows hoops. All my games are on a secondary harddrive (or in C:\Games on the laptop) and I've done so on both Windows 7 and Windows 8(.1) computers, and never had DEP issues.

As to whether or not a 4GB patch is useful or not, I don't know. It definitely is for both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, but unless you're running a lot of mods and a heavy population kingdom it's probably just preference for TSM.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 8:25 PM Last edited by Xeny : 1st Jun 2014 at 8:32 PM. Reason: fixing typos
Quote: Originally posted by Tamha
Sorry for replying to an older post, but I wanted to point out that while DEP settings may prevent patching to 4GB in the first place, they shouldn't prevent a 4GB game from running properly. Also, the easiest way to avoid DEP is to install your games to an alternate location (like C:\Games) rather than the default location. Then you don't need to jump through Windows hoops. All my games are on a secondary harddrive (or in C:\Games on the laptop) and I've done so on both Windows 7 and Windows 8(.1) computers, and never had DEP issues.

As to whether or not a 4GB patch is useful or not, I don't know. It definitely is for both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, but unless you're running a lot of mods and a heavy population kingdom it's probably just preference for TSM.

The 4GB patch doesn't work for TSM because the TSM will not run when launched by the application 4GB Patch. The point of the 4GB Patch is to make Windows' DEP allow TSM and Pirates and Nobles to have 4GB of memory to operate rather than the default 2 GB. After the 2GB of RAM has elapsed or been used, DEP crashes the game to desktop. This event is LUDICROUS especially for those who have a great deal of memory on their PC's. I for one have 16GB, and TSMPN never exceeds more than 3 or 4 GB of RAM, and that only on a rare occasion, and Windows has plenty of memory it can use, even if TSM used 10 GB of memory on my PC, so there is NO cause for DEP to crash my game!!!

I would offer up to you Tamha the fact that most people cannot afford more than one home computer, and even then most often must share with other members of their family, so in such cases, their best options are to run through hoops with Windows as you put it, but disabling DEP for a period of time when one plays a game on their PC's is not really running through hoops.

In fact its a FACTOR of LIFE to organize, Edit, or format ones PC, or game, or other situation in their lives in order to have it function in the manner that is most comfortable for them, and not to just accept everything in its default format. I do not know anyone who owns a PC that does not change the manner in which it functions by default in order to make it their own.

In general PC gamers put stand alone games in C:\games, and not installed games. That is by Windows' design, but installed programs are set in Program Files, and Program Files (x86) so Windows' Programs and Features or Installshield can detect the game/program in order that it can uninstall it when one wants rid of it. Most PC owners do use a 3rd party software uninstaller.

So in such cases as I describe, it is even less of a trouble to simply download a free application to help folks have a good time playing their games on PC than worrying and frustrated by a Windows program cutting out their free time and enjoyment of game play. For some, it is not so very often they get a chance to play period, so when they do, their time should not be interrupted by an easily controlled Windows program they likely know little about.

Have a great day everyone!

Xeny

Quote:
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 9:57 PM Last edited by Tamha : 1st Jun 2014 at 10:10 PM.
I'll admit, I use a different program to do my 4GB patching, if it is an issue of the specific program combined with Windows settings and EA limitations, then it is beyond my realm of experience. I have been running TSM patched by the program "Large Address Aware" for at least a year from a folder outside "Program Files (x86)" with no issues. However, it does require Administrator access to run still. I do understand this would be more complicated on shared computers, especially for non-administrator level users, both for alternate installations or DEP alteration, and I had not thought to take that into account before my prior post, which was my mistake.

As for putting "stand alone" games (whatever that means) in one place and installed games in another, that's not the case with most PC gamers I interact with. However, most PC gamers I interact with are over the age of 20 and have their own PC (or are at least administrators if sharing the computer with family members). I assume someone who is able to install a game at all must have administrator access, since Windows usually prevents program installation on non-Administrator accounts.

Quote: Originally posted by Xeny
In fact its a FACTOR of LIFE to organize, Edit, or format ones PC, or game, or other situation in their lives in order to have it function in the manner that is most comfortable for them, and not to just accept everything in its default format. I do not know anyone who owns a PC that does not change the manner in which it functions by default in order to make it their own.

Telling an installer at the time of game installation to put the program somewhere other than the default program files folders just seems to me to be an easier solution than telling Windows it's okay later (possibly repeatedly) is all. Most have an "Install to" input box, and changing "Program Files (x86)" to "Games" is all it takes. Sometimes you have to chose "Advanced (Installation) Options" to see it, but there are very few cases in which the option is not present. I installed both my Steam and Orign programs to alternate locations, and in Origin's case told it to install new games in that alternate location as well, and they will install all their games outside the Programs folders automatically, including TSM and P&N.

For users that, for whatever reason, have to install their games into the program files I'm sure the app you suggested would be wonderful for them. I was only attempting to offer an alternate solution not dependant on a third-party application.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 2nd Jul 2015 at 7:36 PM
This is an old forum post but you speak of an application that can help better fix the game. What is it and where can I find it!?
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jennie97
This is an old forum post but you speak of an application that can help better fix the game. What is it and where can I find it!?

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Field Researcher
#16 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jennie97

The 4GB Patch does not work for those running Windows 7 64 bit. However, there is a program called Disable or Enable DEP, and the link is here:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/pag...prevention.html

Its completely free and works, BUT PLEASE be careful by remembering to turn it back on after you have stopped playing your game, IF you decide to use the program to turn off DEP. Especially if you have a network, but regardless, it is important as DEP (Data Execution Prevention) protects your computer by not allowing applications to over-use your system memory. Your PC needs enough memory to run Windows.
Please read the information about DEP on the site the link will take you to, and insure you use the correct command when turning DEP back on.

Good Luck, Xeny

Quote:
Test Subject
#17 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 4:32 AM Last edited by exorift : 11th Apr 2017 at 5:13 AM.
I installed 16G of RAM recently, but the game was still crashing. By default, the game sets the max at 2G.

This is the best way I've found to change this, and it's actually really simple.

Go to your Game Bin Folder

C: -> Program Files -> Electronic Arts -> Sims 3 -> Game -> Bin

You'll see a 3KB sized file called "Sims3" with a file type "Configuration Settings" backup a copy of this file (in case you mess up), then open it in Notepad.

the second section should be look like this:

[ResourceSystem]
MemoryUsageLimit = 20000000

I changed the 2 to an 8, clicked Save... and that's it.

If you used a 4GB Patch, you'll need to restore your original Launch .exe

You'll only want to allow *Half of the available RAM installed on your machine. So 8 for 16, 4 for 8, etc... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9dYT3bFo5s