Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 9:14 PM
Default Hobby message spam and intruders.
I've looked around to see if theres any mods on the site to cure this annoying issue but wasnt able to find any.. perhaps I overlooked it.

Either way with free time, hobbies where added.. and a rediculous amount of spam! now that I'm getting back into sims2, getting rid of this would be a huge improvement.

I mean you get messages when your sim's interest improves in a hobby, when it decreases, and people from hobby clubs keep walking into my house! Currently I have eight sims going to university since it seemed a good way to start a new neighbourhood so imagine the amount of spam that gives for hobbies..

I'd already be very happy if those people wont come by anymore and just walk in uninvited, but even better would be when interest in hobbies decreases much slower. It decreases too fast for my taste.

On a related note, is there a way to change the prefered hobby? sometimes it doesnt fit at all with what I pictured my sim to be like. Mostly I dont mind it since it shows character, but in some occasions it just won't do.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 9:45 PM
http://www.simwardrobe.com/

Sims 2/Objects/Other Objects/Predestined Hobby Adjuster. Can't link directly to his site, but I couldn't live without this object. First thing I do when moving in a sim, is decide their favorite hobby.

I don't know about the other hobby stuff.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 9:46 PM
There is no hobby spam at More Awesome Than You. It won't completely eliminate the spam (you'll still get pop up messages) but it eliminates the excessive phone calls and intruders. It also makes it so that your sim's hobby enthusiasm doesn't deteriorate as fast. I didn't know such a thing existed until I Googled it for you, and am off to test it myself. So thanks for asking! :P

As for changing a sim's hobby, I use the Sim Blender. It's a little tree deco tree that gives you a lot of options for changing your sim. I couldn't play without it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 10:06 PM
There are also mods to stop hobby enthusiasm from decreasing at all. Or a mod that stops them from gaining it to begin with, essentially wiping out that part of FT: If you're interested in either of them, I can find links.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 10:54 PM
You didn't ask for this one, but if you have sims who garden a lot the in the zone noise starting and stopping at each plant is torture. No Zone Effects http://forum.jfade.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=439

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#6 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You didn't ask for this one, but if you have sims who garden a lot the in the zone noise starting and stopping at each plant is torture. No Zone Effects http://forum.jfade.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=439

Thanks joandsarah! That one will definitely come in handy, one of my prosperity family's hobby is gardening.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 11:37 PM
Enjoy. That noise was one of the most annoying things in game as I do a lot of gardening.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#8 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by budwinys
There is no hobby spam at More Awesome Than You. It won't completely eliminate the spam (you'll still get pop up messages) but it eliminates the excessive phone calls and intruders. It also makes it so that your sim's hobby enthusiasm doesn't deteriorate as fast. I didn't know such a thing existed until I Googled it for you, and am off to test it myself. So thanks for asking! :P

As for changing a sim's hobby, I use the Sim Blender. It's a little tree deco tree that gives you a lot of options for changing your sim. I couldn't play without it.

..... This can also set gender preference... I can finally force my male sims to not all be auto-gay when created... THANK YOU!!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 1:14 AM
Sims should be neutral when you first make them or when they age to teens. if you are using ACR there are settings on there as to how you want your hood to be.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#10 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 2:28 AM
The batbox at MATY also allows you to set "one true hobby".
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 3:53 AM
You're in good hands when it comes to eliminating those annoying spam phone calls (Jeez EA, thanks for reminding me that there are auto-spambots that call my cell phone every 30 seconds!), or those creepy break-ins by those hobby club instructors to see you and your spouse having WooHoo underneath those covers. Seriously, get OUT of my bedroom already!!
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 4:45 AM
If the hobby animations are getting annoying, there's a mod for that at Cyjon: http://cyjon.net/node/212 .
Field Researcher
#13 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 6:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Sims should be neutral when you first make them or when they age to teens. if you are using ACR there are settings on there as to how you want your hood to be.

They should. But for years, all of my sims, both male and female have had a preference for males (townies are random though). It suits me fine with the females, but it's irritating not being able to have a husband and wife who are both very into each other, because the male sim will always prefer males. No matter how much I make him flirt with females. I have searched very long for something that allowed me to change gender preferences, so I'm a very happy guy right now.
Inventor
#14 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
You're in good hands when it comes to eliminating those annoying spam phone calls (Jeez EA, thanks for reminding me that there are auto-spambots that call my cell phone every 30 seconds!), or those creepy break-ins by those hobby club instructors to see you and your spouse having WooHoo underneath those covers. Seriously, get OUT of my bedroom already!!

Considering that the hobby instructors only barge in when you're working on a hobby and you've just gotten its enthusiasm up to 5 or 10, what kind of hobby are you building where you have time to intersperse some moments of WooHoo? Or is there some sort of WooHoo-related hobby that I don't know about?

I don't mind the "In the Zone" sound when my Sims are out gardening, though. It sounds like they're powering up. "Booyah! I just kicked that tomato plant's ass! Booyah! I kicked that tomato plant's ass too! Now it's your turn, pole beans! Booyah!"
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 6:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
Considering that the hobby instructors only barge in when you're working on a hobby

No, I've had them barge into the bathroom while my sim was taking a shower or staring down at a sleeping toddler and other creepy things like that. I modded them out a long time ago.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#16 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 6:29 AM
That's weird. I've only had them come in while I was hobby-building. I could set my clock by what time the instructor shows up. "Okay, Casey's Tinkering enthusiasm's a 4. Grab your buffer and go work on that car, Casey. Man, look at all those sparks fly. Keep buffing, Casey. I know you're getting stinky, but keep buffing. Okay, Tinkering enthusiasm just turned 5. Five, four, three, two, one...okay, Casey, stop buffing and shake Ocean's hand. What kind of a name is 'Ocean,' anyway? Okay, now you can go trash stuff at Will's Garage. Also, go take a shower now. You stink."

Maybe your toddler reached Enthusiasm 5 by dreaming about a hobby. Sims dream about hobbies sometimes.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 7:21 AM
I think he had just finessed playing at the block table and had been put to bed a few minutes before. I don't like them waltzing into my house no matter what my sims are doing, darn creeps. This was soon after I got free time. The first time I was playing the asylum challenge and a male one walked into the communal shower, stared at a females inmates naked butt and left again. Then the music lady came, and left spinning into 4 strategically placed leaves as her outerwear. They all belong to a diabolical cult I tell you! Anyway I haven't seen them in years except when a sim visits a hobby lot.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#18 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 7:44 AM
I like the hobby instructors myself. They can lower your Friends requirements for promotions in certain career tracks, and they're easy to build relationships with; just go to their hobby lot and either ask for hobby instruction or go do something hobby-related, at which point the instructor will probably come up behind your Sim and start offering his or her input on what your Sim's doing. And if Demi's hanging out over Viviana's shoulder and talking to her about the amphora that she's spinning, then Demi's not off getting into fights with Professor Marilena Whatever again. I can only Bleh that professor off the lot so many times before it starts to get repetitive, I guess.
Inventor
#19 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 9:36 AM
Default Fun with My Muse II
And now for something completely different (except, well, not):

Oh, look who's at it again.

"There! Maybe now you'll think twice before calling Neo-Post-Modernist Cubism a load of sophomoric hooey!"

"Touch Demi again and I will positively dessicate you, you pretentious hag!"
"...eep."

And there was much rejoicing.

"I must take my leave now, my dear. It's been a pleasure, as always, and I thank you for not killing me."
"You're quite welcome, madam. Same time tomorrow, then?"

"My hero!"
"Heroine."
"Shh! Don't ruin the moment."

So then they got back to their usual business....

"...so for this part, I would recommend a traditional treble stitch, or maybe a Tunisian reverse stitch."
"Demi? This is pottery."

"...oh. Right. Just keep mashing a bunch of clay together, then."

"I consider this work a failure. It's just not big enough!"

Also in attendance were Sarah Love (world-famous sorority girl), Kimberley Louie (unapologetic slob, no relation to Demi) and Cole Lupina (Three Lakes import and dog-befriending, Bigfoot-befriending, werewolf-taming mountain man with an unexpected talent for fine art).

DJ Verse was there too.

Okay, where's Sarah going now?

Don't do it, Sarah! Don't do it!

Why does nobody listen to me?!?

"No, Sarah, I do not want to see your ventriloquist act. I'm busy spinning the most gigantimagnanimungous amphora in Pleasantview! Can't you see that?"
"I used an inverted crazy shell stitch to put the arms on that bear...."
"Not now, Demi!"

"Okay, Sarah, now let's see how you talk through that teddy bear oh, would you look at the time? Sun's coming up, gotta go, bye!"

So you see? There's always something going on at My Muse II. Except for something like Demi picking a better name for the place. Seriously, "My Muse" and "My Muse II"? That doesn't smack of originality. Hey, three of the nine Muses existed to inspire writers! Why don't we call it "My Muse III" instead of "Desirable Discourse," hmm?

So anyway, don't worry about those chatty, intrusive people in strange costumes barging into your Sims' houses at 3 AM. Those people are your friends, they mean you well, they're not going to kidnap your toddlers or sell them to the Unsavory Charlatan, and therefore you should uninstall your mods so they can come in whenever they wish. Savvy?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 9:49 AM
I had totally forgotten that the hobby enthusiasts come into your house! I must have had that mod right back since the dawn of time XD

I use the blender to change my sims' hobbies. There's also a random option on there which is pretty useful if you don't want to pick but don't like what they are assigned with.
Inventor
#21 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I had totally forgotten that the hobby enthusiasts come into your house! I must have had that mod right back since the dawn of time XD

Then you will never know the warm, assuring comforts of Demi Louie's Leap-into-Arms hug, and for that I pity you. :lovestruc
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the overwhelming amount of responses!

Looks like I won't have to settle for some mod that adds guns or such to allow my sims to kill the intruders instead.

Will go get some of these mods straight away!
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 11:21 PM Last edited by k6ka : 27th Jul 2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: clarity
Hobby instructors will show up a short time after your Sim reaches Level 5 enthusiasm in their specialized hobby. That's why, after my Sim's all hot and sweaty from being on the treadmill, I have him take a long shower - enough time for the hobby instructor to watch him get out of the shower naked. I'd zap the instructor with the teleporter cat if it didn't mean my Sim wouldn't get their hobby club membership card.
#24 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 1:35 AM
Once they intruded in on my Sims in the middle of a WooHoo o_O
Mad Poster
#25 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
Then you will never know the warm, assuring comforts of Demi Louie's Leap-into-Arms hug, and for that I pity you. :lovestruc

Is leap into arms not a romantic interaction or is your sim dating her?

Plus, she seriously needs to wear an apron. She'll get clay all over that beautiful dress.
Page 1 of 2