Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 1:21 PM
Default Learning Ideal Badges for each Hobby
I always like to connect Hobby, Skills and Badges and sometimes Career and Personality when deciding the path of my sims., like for example, a sims interested in Nature usually opt to learn Gardening or Fishing first before learning the other ones as I find it a more natural approach than randomly choosing them or waiting for Skill learning wants. This does not mean they are restricted to learn these badges, but rather are ones *I* generally choose when I don't like waiting on the sims to choose (and some here know, I tends to skip sim days or speed time when playing).

So with this topic of the thread, I wanted to talk about the GENERIC aspects when choosing suitable badges for the sims, 'coz while there are badges that are typically linked to the Free Time's hobbies (such as Gardening with Nature), some hobbies are rather difficult to decide for, especially Fitness, Literature and Music/Dance as there is no specific badge you can learn for this hobby. I often struggling with are my sims in the fitness/sports category and usually choose Gardening or Cosmology for women with these hobby, as I play medieval and associate these hobbies with health such natural healing rather heavy exercises or sports (You need to supplies to create diet/energy drinks!) . While the guys in these hobbies generally aim for military, security or business, but with these I've no clue what badges would suitable for this sort of lifestyle. SURE, they can pick whatever badge they want such as pottery, but I want something more generic. For wealthier sims I tends to go with Sales though, even though that doesn't boost the Body Skill, but wealthy sims tends to have high social needs and find being physically active is good if your sims is running a business, right? Although it doesn't affect the sport/fitness hobby much. Gardening do, but I just can't picture most military officer are encouraged to have green thumbs.

So, IF going generic (i.e stereotyped), what badges would you typicality link with each hobby?
Please think of this thread the way you would read the guides about chemistry and career suggestion rather too personal. I'm not sure about others though, but just like you don't have to pair Taurus and Aries together, i find those chemistry guides helpful (as its the combination that give a high attraction boost easily), when you want a guiding point of what to choose. But the Badges guides are often to vague in this area.

While these thread is general, I put in the Free Time Category as its mostly about the Hobbies.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 3:16 PM
Science is like an umbrella that includes falling under aqua-life discovery (fishing) and horticulture (gardening) research activity. Flower arragement, pottery, sewing and cosmetology fits really well with arts and craft, because essentially don't these activity kinda require the expertise in that respective concept, hency why you must have taste in arts and craft? Tinkering already in a logical way affects the performance of robot crafting or vice versa, but as for fitness, sports, movies&literature, music&dance, games: I got nothing. I think they better off without any link, due to there being limited set of badges and aspects that would be related with one another. If it were "Interest <- Hobbies" topic, I'm sure you and I could find more things that we could tether together and make them match.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 5:03 PM
Restocking could possibly go with fitness/sports - carrying heavy stuff, reaching high shelves... The robotics badge would also, realistically, benefit from some basic fitness for the heavier stuff. Gardening IRL also involves heavy lifting and shovelling.

You could perhaps stretch literature to cover sales, if you go classic and consider it to include rhetoric. Making a speech isn't all that far from selling something. (Politics career and sales make a natural combo.)

Fishing is considered a sport by some. You could also bring in the (invisible) pool/billiards skill here.

For music and dance, I'd go for the (invisible) dance skill first, of course (right after creativity and body skill). Then... it would probably depend on the sim. One might be a mathematics major and talk about how music is closely linked to maths, so they'd be into robotics which is also maths based. Another would be all about beauty and want to arrange flowers while listening to classical music. Another might start a business selling music and dance related items, or running a karaoke place, and they'd learn the business badges first.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 6:39 PM
Digging isn't a talent badge.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 6:48 PM
PlatinumPlumbbob. I was talking about the actual hobbies from FreeTime not actual life paths. Regarding badges that would go best with which ones.

I ask this question, because the (Warwickshire) challenge I play is heavily focused on badges to determine the skill levels a sim has when applying for a job or how skilled they are when healing others or giving birth. Each badge give a certain number of points to give the sim a score, The higher the score the higher the sim can climb up in careers or survive/assisting to birth (to avoid childbirth). As I personally focusing on Freetime when playing, I like combining the badges with it, just as certain careers are linked to certain aspirations.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 4:12 AM
I'm a musician. I know a lot of artists who cross over. So if I were trying to pair music and dance or film and literature (which is a weird pairing in the first place) with hobby badges, I'd lean towards the artistic type badges: toy making (painting the toys), flower arranging, sewing. Of course, I also know a writer who in reality would have gold fishing and gardening badges, because he's a live off the land type, so . . .

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh